1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

LET’S DEBATE - One Piece is a Love Story [VOTING]

Discussion in 'One Piece Events' started by Marco Polo, Dec 29, 2018.

?

How should the debate format be changed?

1. Word limit

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Post limit

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Word and post limit

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Forming teams before the debate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Don’t change it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other (comment below)

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Marco Polo

The Golden Jester
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

The debate is done, now it’s time to vote!

Vote for the user you think presented the best arguments

Voting will close one week from now (January 5, 2019)

Get voting!

Jawahib and Kia like this.
  2. Chaudfontaine

Chaudius Caesar
    Moderator Member of the Year 2017 YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

I find it dificult to vote for one person entirly. My opinion was more on the no-side and the yes-sided didn't convince me to change my opinion.

if you really, really want a name, I would say Jawa because I'm biased

Marco Polo likes this.
  3. Deathbloke

one unlucky bastard
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

JA-WA-HIB

@Kia tried a lot, but I'm biased on the fact that I don't believe OP is a love story, so I agreed with @Jawahib from the start. But he has presented so many arguments.

Marco Polo likes this.
  4. dreamlovermimi

Zoro's Main Chick
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

@Kia cuz every story has love in it <3

Marco Polo likes this.
  5. Johannes

"If I die trying at least I tried."
    Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm in the NO side so for me it's @Jawahib

Marco Polo likes this.
  6. Jawahib

Both Exotic and Professor
    Busoshoku Haki YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

EDIT: Whoopsie you saw nothing

Alrighty so we're voting for the best debater? I'll have to give it to @Kia if for nothing else than maintaining the incredible patience required to have the debate and respond to all the points I kept tossing out there, but of course everything raised was top-tier too.

Marco Polo and Deathbloke like this.
  7. KKG

KKG
    If you support watermarks i hate you
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

@Kia definetely.
    An opinion that made sense from a personal point of view is allways the one i respect most.

dreamlovermimi likes this.
  8. Chill024

Expand Collapse

I believe they’re top 2 @Kia and @Jawahib both presented a very logical and strong statement.
    So to decide i let the one piece genre,theres no romance there so i vote for @Jawahib

Marco Polo likes this.
  9. Admiral Ryokugyu

OPForum's villain
    Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

10. Marco Polo

The Golden Jester
    Expand Collapse

11. Chaudfontaine

Chaudius Caesar
    Expand Collapse

KKG likes this.
  12. KKG

KKG
    If you support watermarks i hate you
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

This guy looks like Fellaini:lol:

13. Marco Polo

The Golden Jester
    Expand Collapse

It seems @Jawahib is the debate champion. Congratulations!

Do people want another debate? Do you like this format?

Kia likes this.
  14. Chaudfontaine

Chaudius Caesar
    Expand Collapse

I think this format is okay, but from the moment a few textwall'ers appear the discussion is up to them and it's hard to get in it. I didn't even read everything at the end sorry guys

Deathbloke likes this.
  15. Kia

Kia
    Wacky weeb witch
    Expand Collapse

#15 Kia, Jan 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    @Marco Polo can limit the response length or something like that maybe? It’s fun to write but kinda pointless to do it if no one’s joining in or reading it. ^_^

PS real debates have time limits so the word limit could be analogous.

16. Kia

Kia
    Wacky weeb witch
    Expand Collapse

@Jawahib 2B2CEC9D-E39B-4496-B966-F2853E322E41.gif
    Or in language you’d understand,
    upload_2019-1-7_15-12-5.gif
    Let’s totally do it again sometime!

17. Jawahib

Both Exotic and Professor
    Busoshoku Haki YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

Thing with debates is they're much more enjoyable to watch than to read. No one seems to read any of the responses unless they have something they might want to say on the topic or a point, so a lot of the votes that came my way were based simply on people who agreed with the stance I took rather than any debating skill on my part.

My suggestion isn't a word limit, but rather a post limit. Each person can only post an opening argument and has 2 other posts to refute other points made. Word limits tend to have the effect of making people use more eloquent language in the hopes of reducing their word count rather than focus on the points they're trying to make. Additionally, the word count will be harder to monitor. The downside to the post count I suggested is that people might try to wait until the last second to do their posts so they get the last word in, but I don't think we'll see too much of this practically speaking.

Just my half baked idea I'm sure there are other more fleshed out systems that'd work better

Thank you kindly, it's always fun to be congratulated in two languages in GIF form :P
    Can't wait to do it again :D

18. Chaudfontaine

Chaudius Caesar
    Expand Collapse

while this is also true, but if a member of the opposition can make me revise my original opinion, I would consider that a win for the opposition. So for this example I stuck by my opinion and the one that argumented the most/the best for it.

To truely look at debating itself is difficult as a contributer of the debate, and we would need some things, points, that people could look for. for example, playing on the person instead of the subject.

It's a cool idea, but it's difficult because not everything is on the table from the beginning and the opposition post can give you ideas how to handle/phrase your opinion.

19. Kia

Kia
    Wacky weeb witch
    Expand Collapse

Well if a post limit would get/keep others involved then that’s fine, too! Honestly the outcome of the debate isn’t nearly as important to me as the process itself. It was intended as a means of encouraging lively discussions on the forum and the voting part was an addendum simply because I know how much you guys like to rank one another so there always has to be a winner. ^_^

I’ll always participate in another debate for the sheer joy of it. I’d just love to see more people doing so in order to not feel like I’m monopolizing the stage as it were. Plus, I’d like to hear their opinions and engage with them. That’s the point of the site, no? ^_^

You’re more than welcome on the congrats. The two languages were more Doctor Who and Harry Potter than English and Italian, of course. ^_^

20. Marco Polo

The Golden Jester
    Expand Collapse

I’ve had a read of the “textwaller” discussion and it’s a conundrum indeed, obviously maximum member participation is the goal but I don’t necessarily want to “limit” people during the debate since there’s already a time component. On the other hand, @Chaudfontaine has a good point about text walls being intimidating. There’s been solutions mentioned here, and I’ll weigh them up before letting you guys decide
    • Install a word limit, but not a post limit: This would reduce the number of text walls without harming the “flow” of the debate - people can refute arguments at any time during the debate. As for an upper limit, I think 500 words is more than enough - that’s roughly one page on a Microsoft Word document. The main drawback is that this limit has to be heavily monitored by both the chair and the debaters - but it’s something that you’d take into consideration in “real” debates, where you have a certain amount of time to deliver your address. The other drawback is that it may take more time for people who like to write a lot to formulate responses, since they have to be concise.
    1F57C3DB-B215-4809-AB8D-8CE051DEB6FC.png
    • ThoInstall a post limit, but not a word limit: This would allow the debate to open up to the non-textwallers a little easier, since there’d only be a few text walls to begin with. It gives a fair chance for textwallers to make their points, but also allows the discussion to move quickly past the walls. I think an opening statement, 2 rebuttal posts and a closing statement (4 posts) is a sufficient limit. However, installing a post limit gives an unfair advantage to the one who rebutts second, as they’re guaranteed the last word.
    • Install a word and post limit: 500 words and 4 posts each, making a 2,000 word maximum. Allows different members to “lead” the debate, and reduces the number of text walls. However, this puts a lot of restrictions on the debaters, which I don’t want to do.
    • Have members form “teams” before the debate: This follows the procedure of a “real” debate well, as you’d normally be able to co-ordinate and plan arguments ahead of time. It would certainly reduce textwalling difficulties, since you’d be able to work with other people to decode and break down each wall, and produce rebuttals together. You’d also be able to share out arguments and support each other’s rebuttals. The teams would be decided before the debate, with people choosing whether they’re “FOR” or “AGAINST”. There’d be a maximum of say, 5 members per team now (based on current activity, that seems like a pretty reasonable team size). The drawbacks to this are that users may become reliant on their teammates staying active throughout the course of the debate, and that teams may end up being “carried” by one or two users while the others sit and watch. However, if you combine this with say, a word limit, it allows the discussion to be spread evenly amongst team members.
    Those are my thoughts, I’ll leave the rest up to you

Kia and Jawahib like this.