1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Luffy as the 5th Yonko?

Discussion in 'One Piece Manga' started by GoldenVenus, Apr 30, 2018.

1. GoldenVenus

Reigning Lord of the Underworld
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Is Luffy strong enough now to earn the title 'Yonko?' I know it's not official or anything, but I honestly don't know how he can go up against the other Yonkos. Kaido, especially, since he's going to Wano next. I'd really like to know how he's gonna face him (but I think this battle has been hinted in one of the opening songs). Because honestly, I don't think he's at that level yet. At least for now.

Do you think he deserves the title? Or is it still too early for him?

Seiryu, Edinbour and Storm chaser like this.
  2. Glaze D. Bacon

The Fool
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Earning a billion berries as your new bounty won't instantly earn you the title of Emperor, but it'll make you one hell of a member of the Worst Generation.

3. Judgement

Winners never quit, quitters never win.
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I personally see this a somewhat similar case as Usopp's 'God' title... Luffy will be called an emperor, but we know very well what his true potential is at the moment. I don't think he will be able to face Kaido alone, not even BM. He did screw over a Yonko's plans big time, though, so I do agree that he deserves his new bounty. Luffy has a funny way of handling things and his strength is not only found in his combat capacities.

4. GoldenVenus

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I know, it's just that since they were talking about the possibility of him being the next Yonko, I wonder if the WG is really planning to do that. I think I'd acknowledge him as a Yonko once he has defeated Kaido.

5. Marco Polo

circus act
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

In the physical strength sense, no. But we know that there's more to power than just that. Luffy's sphere of influence and the people he's befriended along his journey is already impressive, and it's likely to keep growing, with the people of Wano likely the next on a long list of his allies.

He's also got territory now, with Fishman Island officially under his protection now. As far as I'm aware, the only other crews with territory are the Emperors.

I think he's worthy of being the Fifth Emperor, but with the power balance tipping, the concept of Emperors may become obsolete

6. GoldenVenus

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

I really wouldn't mind to see Luffy taking the title now, but I just don't think the SH is ready for it yet, cos both BB and Kaido and even BM would get pissed off and they might have to deal with more enemies than they can handle. But It'd still be awesome though. I would actualy love to see how the world would react if Luffy were to be named as the next Yonko, because like you said, it's gonna change the whole thing and it's gonna be a chaos.

7. Kakarot1221

Expand Collapse

If you look at it, Luffy's pretty weak.
    Sabo ,aged 12 at the time,put up a fight against Kuma.
    Luffy with his crew couldn't put up with a pacifista.
    He couldnt beat cracker without Nami's help.
    So, i dont think luffy even earns this title, but earns the bounty.

8. Storm chaser

Rock n' Roll
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I also dont think he is ready yet. Physical growth is needed.

Maby he will be an real emperor after some years, I think he has the potential of that. :luffy:

GoldenVenus likes this.
  9. GoldenVenus

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

I think Luffy is the type to get stronger after each fight, but yes, I do understand what you mean. I'd like to see Luffy defeating an enemy without anyone's help and without collapsing multiple times, cos most of the battles he'd been through, he'd taken a lot of damage, which is why I'm questioning his capability when facing the other Yonkos.

10. GoldenVenus

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Exactly what I thought. I know that Luffy's strength isn't just about his physical abilities, but like you said, if he wants to survive without much damage, he needs to be stronger. Which is why I said that I think I'd acknowledge him as a Yonko once he's able to defeat Kaido.

11. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

For the people of One Piece world , yes this might be a time to consider Luffy an Emperor of the Sea . For Oda and us , no he isn't . We know what really happened in WCI arc . It was because of Morgans exageration that Luffy got this title . In Wano i doubt that we'll see Luffy directly facing Kaido . It will be a huge war engulfing the entire forces of the world . Luffy will never be a Yonko . That was never his objective . Even if the world considers him so , he will be annoyed by it and will refuse to be called a Yonko . He only wants to be the Pirate King .

Zweins likes this.
  12. Kakarot1221

Expand Collapse

exactly. That would be a fight to watch.

13. ckimbrew

Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Without specific criteria for becoming an emperor, let’s take a look at the two “pirate powers” (Seven Warlords and Emperors) and see where Luffy would fall.

Crocodile, Doflamingo, Moria... 3 of the 7. All bested by Luffy... Former Warlord Law is allied with Luffy and Jimbe is now a subbordiante of Luffy. So, I’d say this makes him a cut above Warlords and WAY above the average pirate.

Now, when compared to the other emperors. We know nothing about how they got there other than power against each other, having a fleet, and having territory. The only one that we have insight for is Blackbeard. B.B. beat Ace ($550M Berry) and became a Warlord. He then beat Marco (bounty unknown), a first mate, and became an emperor.

Luffy has defeated 3 Warlords which definitely places him above them IMO, has defeated tough warriors with huge bounties (one being a first mate like B.B. defeating Marco), and walked into an emperor’s territory with half his crew, single handedly took out a VERY large portion of her crew, accomplished his objective, and escaped with his life. Plus, he now has other VERY powerful crews under him with command of over 5,000 subnordiants, and also territory under his protection... He’s done more than any other pirate, Emperors included, when it comes to taking on the government head on (Ennies Lobby, Marine Ford, Impel Down).... What else could he do to be more deserving of the title and recognition? Not that he cares about the title, but seriously, what else could you ask for?

Like Jay-Z quoting the movie Gladiator...

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!?

Lol!!

Zweins and GoldenVenus like this.
  14. Storm chaser

Rock n' Roll
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

We dont know what the others have done, since we havent really seen all of theyre history. So I dont know is one can compare Luffy with all of them.
    Not to say Luffy havent done somethings other's havent, like you mentioned.

Im sure he will be an emperor someday. But if the WG dosent give him the title, he is not.

GoldenVenus likes this.
  15. GoldenVenus

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Even if he hates things like titles and status, once someone is named a Yonko, the title will still follow him. And I'm pretty sure Luffy's battle with Kaido has been hinted before, but yeah, not that I think he can defeat Kaido by relying on physical strength alone.

Storm chaser likes this.
  16. ckimbrew

Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I know. I specifically stated that we didn’t know what the original 4 did to become Yonko. But, each time Luffy took on a marine or WG base, he was the first to do it. Well, except for Shiki who broke out of Impel Down. Right?

My main point is this: He’s definitely above 7-Warlord status, has an enormous bounty that I’m almost certain is reserved for Yonko commanders and higher, and now has a huge fleet. So, he’s definitely not just some “run of the mill” no name pirate.

Fake or not, the title serves as notice to the world that this guy is to be feared or not taken lightly. And, I agree with that wholeheartedly.

Zweins likes this.
  17. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

He's definitely not ready to face the other Yonko. Yes he does have the Grand Fleet and yes Fishman Island declared him to be under his territory, but I think he needs to also be able to go 1-1 against the other Emperors. I know being an Emperor isn't just about strength, but it is a very important factor.

Storm chaser and GoldenVenus like this.
  18. vinna

Expand Collapse

Interesting how crucial this change is for the whole story. Until now, I always felt like Luffy deserved biggers bountys than the ones he got. As a result, the SH were always the underdogs. But now, for the first time, we can resonably discuss if his current status really match his current power. For now on it's hard to imagine the SH being understimated, somethig that always helped them.

Well, I think that Luffy's reputation, as it was built, allow him to be seen as a the Emperor. But the Yonko still stronger and more powerful than our future Pirate King.

dreamlovermimi likes this.
  19. Z H A M. C i O

Expand Collapse

#19 Z H A M. C i O, May 3, 2018
    Last edited: May 3, 2018
    As Luffy always do, causes trouble against the WG and other Big named Pirates. He slowly acquires that title. The I remember that Shanks is not fighting the other Yonko but rather he always stop them to make big trouble since he stopped kaido to take Whitebeard in the War of the best. Since then no other yonko attack one another yonko, attacking a yonko and then escapes it's a big credit to it's reputation and be consider as a great attacker.

20. Storm chaser

Rock n' Roll
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I completley agree with him not being a run of the mill pirate. :D

I think @Edinbour hit the nail. Luffy has to be able to fight 1 on 1 with a the other emperor's, to be one.

Luffy doing all that he have done just isint enough for the title, and having his fleet and Fishmen island.
    When he can fight with the other emperors alone, he is ready. Atleast thats how I see it.