1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Luffy has a special devil fruit power/ special awakening

Discussion in 'One Piece Theories' started by Monkey D. Ruffy, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Monkey D. Ruffy

Expand Collapse

hi nakama

So I’ve been rewatching and rereading OP once again. And I came over something interesting that I hadn’t noticed before. Luffy’s devil power is quite unique among paramecia and even among all DF. Unlike any power we’ve seen before luffy’s power is always active and can’t be deactivated. We have paramecia like mr 3 who generate a substance and like me 1 who turned into a weapon. Logia users who turn into an element but can also deactivate it and be touched by someone without haki too.
    Luffy on the other hand can not deactivate his power and not even water negates his ability like the other ones. There is also a scene in the manga and anime where Luffy touches kairoseki and falls to the ground his arms are stretched even though he is touching kairoseki. Unlike paramecia and logia users who can control the substance or element they generate, Luffy can’t control rubber, instead he uses the kinetic power generated through movement to stretch and attack(gear 4 through haki is an exeaption). The only time luffy’s power was deactivated was when Blackbeard touched him. So I was thinking that maybe his awakening will also be special.
    Maybe it will allow him to deactivate,generate,turn the surrounding into rubber and control the rubber with his will like the other DF powers do. But also something else something we haven’t seen yet.

What do you guys thing ?

Seiryu likes this.
  2. Buggy D. Clown

Expand Collapse

Yeah I just noticed it also and like in arlong park he can stretch underwater
    and in the way to fishman island when they were fighting the kraken
    luffy can stretch and even use gear 3rd
    Great Thread man

Monkey D. Ruffy likes this.
  3. KKG

KKG
    Bigger hentai fan than you
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Very interesting theory.
    But rubber isn't special in my opinion.
    As for the fact he stretched underwater it could be a plot amor with no sense for him to stay alive until they free him from that stone.
    Turn his surroundings into rubber is not possible because gomu gomu is a physical type of DF with not effect.
    His awakenning could allow him to make rubber clones,but his fighting style is more about power ups.
    Luffy can increase his body temperature with gear 2nd and maybe he could turn his body of rubber into liquid,and solidify after that,it would be good for defense.
    But i think it will be simple.
    He will just have to find another ways for more effective gears than G4 wich i think it's not perfect,the true power of rubber is the ability to control all the skills of rubber developed by it's user without limitations.

4. Monkey D. Ruffy

Expand Collapse

#4 Monkey D. Ruffy, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    @KKG what I meant with special isn’t rubber it’s the way his powers work. Every power user controls his power with his will. Luffy doesn’t and others can stretch him too. For example U can’t use mr. 1’s hand to cut if he is asleep. He has to turn his body into a blade. Luffy on the other hand is always rubber. It actually looks like his DF is quite weak, it’s only Luffy that has made it this strong. So I thought that maybe he will have a much more powerful awakening than the others and that we can’t base his awakening on the 2 ones we have seen so far.

Robin-Senpai Is The Best and KKG like this.
  5. KKG

KKG
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I guess i can't believe that since you are Monkey D. Ruffy.

6. W@rlock

Expand Collapse

I agree that Luffy's power seems kinda rare in the way he doesn't seem to be able to "deactivate it" but all the paramecias are strange...

But I also believe that if we look carefully we can find he isn'tn unique... Chopper seems to have the "Brain Point" as his standard form and I believe he doesn't change if he's unconcious... and that's just an example...

I want to note again that I agree with the observation that his powers are rare..

7. vinna

Expand Collapse

I agree that Luffy's paramecia DF works in a different way, almost a logia like power. I wouldn't say in a unique way since we got Katakuri, whose DF powers have some of the same propertys of Luffy's. Wich is very interesting for a villain and also for predict Luffy's future power. Regard the water discussion, I would add that how submerged in water one is is relevant, like Oven, who can use his powers if he submerge just his hands into the sea.

8. Yamanoki

Expand Collapse

Luffy's power is not unique in being purely passive. Some other Paramecia DFs work this way too:
    Alvida's Sube-Sube No Mi (passively slippery, can't be turned off)
    Brook's Yomi-Yomi No Mi (passively keeps him alive, can't be turned off)

The important part is that Luffy's DF changes his body, whereas most DFs give their user some sort of new ability. Any DF user whose power is essentially just a change in their bodily composition would be passive just like Luffy - there just aren't many of them.

9. Monkey D. Ruffy

Expand Collapse

@W@rlock @vinna I agree a lot of paramecia give special and unique abilities but all have something’s in common.
    Magellan, doffy, cracker, mr 3 etc all create something and manipulate it.
    Mr1 ,mrs doublefinger, baby five etc turn into a weapon and control it.
    Zoan users transform and maintain that form for exampl: after zoro defeated Kaku he transformed back into human. He was still conciouse. Jabra and Lucci who were knocked out could not reverse back. I think that’s why chopper is always in brain point, he likes it more and he doesn’t need to concentrate all the time to do it. As for katakuri he is extremely similiar to luffy but that’s what made me do this theory. Cuz he has already a special paramecia that lets him do something paramecia usually doesn’t. Turn into a substance that’s usually a logia ability. Ive was only touching the water like aokiji who froze Thebes see. Luffy was completely submerged.

10. Monkey D. Ruffy

Expand Collapse

But brook can also control it and make his soul leave his body. An ability he discovered after 50 years of having that fruit. That’s what I was talking about. What if luffy also has an ability he hasn’t discovered yet. That’s let’s him control or change his rubber properties.
    As for alvida I agree she is similiar to luffy but we haven’t really seen much of her ability.

11. Redgar

Expand Collapse

Im pretty sure Oda said in an interview, that he didnt give a special fruit power to Luffy because he didnt want his dream to be achieved so easily, he wanted Luffy to struggle so him becoming the Pirate King deserved the merit of fighting for that title.

12. Sintown

Expand Collapse

This makes me think they're all toys, because Luffy is always the most basic of individuals, a straw hat is a standard stereotypical rice farmer, and his power is he's made out of rubber so he is the default.

13. Mo3MaR

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Your making things complicated... You should read or watch at Impel Down how Mr. 3 melting from heat .. Mr. 1 body is made from steel , he can manipulate his body at will to make sharp objects... Lastly sea water won't negates devil fruit abilities , Oda didn't show anything like those in the past.. They are only weaken by sea , if your talking about Yami Yami no mi ... Actually I am speculating also if those devil fruits have an actual soul like one of CP9 think.... Of course we didn't know the truth about those fruits but I feel like sometime Oda will reveal the mysteries on them..

14. Mo3MaR

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Those were differ base on their fighting style... You know Luffy , his body is his weapon .... Or didn't you realize that after you've heard : pistol , bazooka ,gatling gun.. Did he ever release cannon balls or bullets?? Then how bout comparing Katakuri coz it seems they were almost under the same categories , contraction and stretching... He makes a beans out of his hand and shoot it... Make a building made of mochi , make a trident out of his hand ??? Now you realize how different their fighting style right? If you make me compare Katakuri's usage of fruit is near from how Mr.3 using his fruit... Making a miniature or design out of his imagination .. There's so much difference between fighting style of Luffy and Katakuri eventhough they are same paramecia... After all only Luffy using his fruit as far as I know that doesn't implies any of his imaginations..

KKG likes this.
  15. KKG

KKG
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

As long other guys use his awakening Luffy uses Gears.
    His DF is not at it's full power.
    My point is Luffy has a terrifying potencial but we can't see it yet because these limitations need to be eliminated.
    I'm sure he won't turn his surroundings into stone because he allways fight the enemy with fists like his grandfather.
    The most powerfull attack he has in his normal form is Grizzly Magnum.
    What if he could use Leo Bazzoka and King Kong Gun in his normal form?
    What does have to be special is the user's imagination,not his DF.

16. Mo3MaR

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah that's my point , Luffy didn't entirely using his devil fruit capabilities with his imaginations.. All he did was to depend on his physical strength unlike others depend entirely at their fruit abilites... Don't you remember how Crocodile revealed those things about devil fruit users... Most of them are content of acquiring abilities unlike me unlocked the capabilities of my ability... Just like Luffy right ?? Unlike Crocodile who depend so much at his fruit.. What's make him lose from Luffy?? When his weakness has revealed he don't have anything to do aside from absorbing water or stealing it..... Luffy is a very accurate example of just content to had a fruit abilities... Oh Buggy too... But what's make him strong ?? Obviously his body from weird training gotten from his old man..

17. Mo3MaR

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

No , I think he can turn his surrounding to rubber but do you think he will use that way ?? As you said its not his fighting style , I wonder how Luffy will adapt his awakening from his fighting style ??

18. Monkey D. Ruffy

Expand Collapse

You must have misunderstood something. Logia users can’t activate their abilities underwater, neither zoan users or paramecia once they are submerged. Mr 3 doesn’t melt in impel down the candle he creates does. Mr three isn’t made out of candle he is stil made of flesh. Mr 1 isn’t steel always he can turn his bodies parts or entire body into a blade, but isn’t always a blade.
    But I agree that luffy’s entire body is his weapon he said so early in the series. That’s why i believe he has a special ability that he hasn’t realized he has, cuz all he did was fight with brute strength. As for his awakening I don’t think it’s gonna be the same as doffys and katas. We have seen awakened zoans and they all seem to be the same. Doffy’s and kata’s are similar too, both allow them to generate a substance(katas being special and allowing him also to turn into it) so they have the same awakening. But that doesn’t mean all paramecia have the same awakening.
    Doffy said that after the awakening the devil fruit doesn’t effect just your body but also your surroundings. So what about devil fruits who do that from the beginning? Example laws fruit allow him to create a rom in which he controls everything, but that is the surrounding already. Kine’mon allows his devil fruit to turns object placed on someone’s heads into clothes. Again it effects the surrounding. I believe luffy’s power is special and after he awakes it he will realize that fighting with brute strength isn’t his only option.

19. Yamanoki

Expand Collapse

Mr. 1's body is permanently like steel. However, he can also form his body parts into blades. He has both capabilities.