1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Luffy's Awakening

Discussion in 'One Piece Manga' started by Udell, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Udell

Expand Collapse

Alright so after discussion with my friends we pretty much figured out what Luffy's awakening will be or at least what it's likely to be. Now lets use Katakuri as a platform and review what has happened.
    [​IMG]

Now here we can see that Katakuri is stretching just like Luffy. That means that Katakuri is made of mochi and is not a simple act of producing it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now in both these scenarios Luffy's attack passes straight through Katakuri's body. SO obviously Luffy can land attacks but since Katakuri is intangible this makes it difficult.

[​IMG]

Luffy got his hand trapped as Katakuri countered him easily.

[​IMG]

Now at this moment Katakuri essentially shifted forms. Now he is using block mochi which is clearly of a much higher density.

[​IMG]

This is the hugest hint to Katakuri's powers. Luffy's remarks are the hints I am talking about. First he stated Katakuri didn't dodge. That likely has to do with the upgraded version of CoA he is using which means you cannot use upgraded CoO and CoA at the same time. Essentially it's a blind spot in CoO itself because clearly he did some serious damage with block mochi as Luffy was blowing his hands from the pain.

The other huge main thing here is Luffy got a kick in and that surprised even him. Think about it though he has been becoming intangible everytime Luffy throws a punch so why did that connect?? The answer is simple. It's DENSITY. Block Mochi is clearly Katakuri increasing his density which means his defense goes up and offense but his ability to break apart is sacrificed.

Essentially Katakuri can break apart and dodge attacks with ease with low density mochi but when he increases his density he loses this ability that makes his body logia like.

So now how does this apply to Luffy you may ask. Well it's simple really. Oda has shown us G2 and G3 being useless for a while now. However if Luffy awakens it will be like Katakuri. The properties of Luffy's awakening will match his ability. He won't create rubber but he can increase and decrease his density.

Imagine Luffy decreases his density to the point where he is light as latex.. Rather than going up a level G2 will now increase 2 fold and Luffy speed will be hard to match. If he increases his density then G3 becomes much more powerful. Essentially this allows him to control his DF to higher potential and since he can now control his body density he will no longer need haki to hold G4 form. That means it last longer and Luffy will be 2 folds more dangerous.

Seiryu, D. Law, Ninad and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ajla

Expand Collapse

Wow greats points! Since BLOCK MOCHI is in a form of blocks, it make sense that its condensed mochi with COA. I'm not sure if it Conquerer's haki or COA only.

3. Udell

Expand Collapse

It's CoA for sure. There were black sparks around it but considering it inflict some damage on Luffy which resulted in him furiously blowing his hands then it's CoA. The same sparks were seen in Sabo vs Burgees fight. I have read some theories and some people are speculating that Katakuri is half mink which makes sense with those teeth.

4. DarthPyro

Expand Collapse

Great thoughts!!! I think Luffy's awakening will be like this too.

5. blackfoot delaney

Expand Collapse

Great theory, did doflamingo show any signs of being able to alter his strings? For example rope which is a dense collection of intertwined strings (the whip he was going to use on sanji) vs singular strings which he used for slicing and cutting. i dont know of that is similar or just me clutching at straws?

Also i think luffy will have a form of awakening that allows him to affect the environment, turning surfaces into rubber. This will unbalance opponents but also provide extra bounce to increase the strength of bound mans attacks

6. Chicano180

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Block Mochi was on his hands/arms if I recall correctly so Kata being hit in the face without Luffy's punch going thru him isn't related in my opinion.

I do however like the idea of Luffy being able to control the density of his DF since it can be useful in many areas (mastering his DF).
    Altho after what we've seen from awakening DF's it doesn't seem like Luffy's awakening will be much different than Doflamingo who creates strings out of innate objects, and more sturdy (paramecia), Jail monster guys who are more sturdy (zoan), and Kata who creates mochi out of innate objects & likely is more sturdy (logia).

Obviously it's One Piece and anything not confirmed is up for grabs so can't knock down the idea of it being awakening....personally just think that controlling density will have more to do with mastering the devil fruit than it being awakened.

I've always thought he'd be able to control his DF to the point where he can become a giant Luffy or as small as a rubber ball, and that as well will likely fall into mastering his DF.

7. Slingshot

Expand Collapse

#7 Slingshot, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    Alright lads and ladies, love the theory and I like the fact that your looking at evidence shown in the manga to support your ideas and i fully agree with you about the differing levels of haki though their devil fruits may also play a role in this like you said, density. However, im focusing more on luffys awakening. I feel that unlike other devil fruit users luffys is fundementally different in that it is affecting his body making it exhibit rubber like properties, it does not become rubber otherwise it would look like rubber just like other fruits. i.e. flare-flare fruit you become fire and it actually is fire not just your body emitting the heat of the fire. I feel like his awakening will give him full control over his body instead of his environment as his ability does not affect the environment externally to begin with unlike string produced externally or mochi, though that is debatable.
    Anyway, right now luffy can only stretch his body by hurling his arms around and using the elastic force as a weapon however, in gear 4 we heard a perfect explanation from doffy that luffy is using the colour of arms to control the contraction and expansion of his rubber all the while increasing the tension and/or density to increase the power. Like a super huge metal Spring, that's a lot of force being released very quickly as im sure most of you know how difficult it is to pinch a spring the bigger it is. I think that his awakening will allow him to control the expansion and contraction of his rubber at will without haki. This is why i think it is different.
    This would power up his lower gears in terms of speed which we know is a problem with gear 3 and power with gear 2 all the while allowing him to add haki on top of this and create some insane force that he couldn't before. This would also mean he could change the shape of any of his forms including gear 4 without haki removing the time limit altogether (possibly, unless awakening has a timer) . He could do this very quickly in an awakened state so that he could dodge attacks after using a large one like gear 3. or change into another form more suitable for a specific opponent.
    As you know, gear 4 relies on haki controlling the contraction and expansion of his rubber in order for him to enter and maintain the form and increase his power however, using haki constantly like he does and has to means he cannot fight drawn out battles. this can be a problem against other awakened users i.e. cracker creating a supposedly infinite amount of soldiers to block him or doflamingo using waves of strings. From what i have seen awakenings do not change your power but allow you to expand your practical usage in ways you couldn't imagine i.e. doflamingos awakening didn't change his strings into something else but allowed him to temporarily convert the objects in contact with him into string. this is why i think luffy will not alter his bodies properties but will gain full conscious control over his body allowing him to move like you couldn't imagine.
    On a side note, this would also allow him to enter gear 4 without haki as he would have control over his power and would not have to use haki to do this for him instead he could then apply his power on top of this
    Entirely my opinion and i just wanted to get it out there, thanks for reading if you did

ckimbrew and D. Law like this.
  8. ZakNik

Legendary God of Speed
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

maybe luffy awakening will be Logia rubber? Hw will use heat as he does in G2 and belt his rubber body so he cant get hit with normal attack

9. Udell

Expand Collapse

I doubt that Luffy will turn the floor into rubber. It doesn't suit him or his fighting style. Awakening will use the DF properties. It's like saying Law will have an awakening like Doffy when his devil fruit doesn't work like that. Also you can't master your DF if you haven't awaken it. Whatever Oda chooses for awakening in users like Luffy I am sure it would help his brawler style. Making a rubber floor means G4 still has it's fatal flaw which is no muscle strength after usage, also G2 and G3 will remain useless. So the logical thing here is to assume his awakening will be combat oriented so density seems like the best bet here unless Oda hints at something else.

10. Chicano180

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Law's awakening could simply make his entire surroundings his "surgery area" instead of having to use "room", which will then make it the same as Doffy's or Kata's awakening.

G2 has been useless forever now.
    G3 has been semi-useless for some time now if it wasn't for the new attacks Luffy's had lately.
    G4 will continue to be useless vs strong tier opponents until he can master it.

It is logical for previous gears to be useless, imo, especially the stronger the opponent gets.

When I was speaking of mastering I meant you can master different areas of a DF which can or cannot include awakening.
    There are many uses/aspects of a DF that can be mastered.

11. Udell

Expand Collapse

It's actually not logical. Sanji is not strong as Luffy and is DFless yet I am sure his kick does more damage than Luffy's base punch. Luffy's has always had monstrous strength. There isn't anything useless about Luffy's DF. Katakuri is actually slower than Luffy in G2 and Luffy was under a time constraint against Doffy. G4 just makes Luffy stupid strong which takes him to yonkou tier while active. It's useless against high tier in that he can't keep using it. Which is why awakening will extend that limit.

12. Dory

Expand Collapse

Sorry, but I'd like to see Luffy fight big mom Blackbeard Shanks or Kadio. Even if he didn't have a time limit with gear 4th, hed still get stomped. Sorry, I know this isn't the most related topic but.... I do think that awakening could actually improve G4 in addition to extending the time limit

13. Chicano180

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I completely agree with @Dory, G4 is not Yonkou Tier, it's barely even 1st commander tier...just BARELY able to keep up. Hope you know there's a massive difference between Yonkou's and their commanders...atleast with what's been shown so far in the manga.

Dory likes this.
  14. Dory

Expand Collapse

Chicano180 Yeah I don't belive any of the yonkou commanders come close to the Youkou themselves
    Let's take the yonkou crew we've seen in action the most as an example. Whitebeard in Marineford was a beast, AT FUCKING 70 no one can think of making the argument that Marco was even close to the old age Whitebeard.

15. Udell

Expand Collapse

He won't get stomped. Tankman cannobball was literally a yonkou tier attack. It sent Cracker through hard ass biscuit soldiers and he still had momentum for days until he finally reached the city. King kong gun is a monstrous attack as well. Yes the yonkou are tanky af and that's why G4 is so strong while active. If you compare king kong gun to Big Moms elbaf knock off they are literally of the same caliber you just have tunnel vision due to yonkou hype. If you don't want to believe it then fine by me.

The difference between yonkou and their commanders does exist but what's your point?? Oda has purposely withheld Luffy and all the straw hats for the sake of story telling. Based on the high tier attacks Luffy has shown and base on the fact he almost takes no damage from blunt attacks in G4 means he is too much while it is being used. Luffy awakens and then bam Big Mom goes down.

16. Date Damon

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I partly agree with you. I think some G4 attacks, not G4 itself though, are as strong as some Yonkou-level attacks. Hence why Luffy in G4 could trade punches with BM. What I don't agree is you seem to be saying that awakening will immediately help Luffy win. No, I think it would take (much) time to get used to the new power. So, Luffy getting his awakening now doesn't mean a win over BM.

17. Udell

Expand Collapse

The awakening doesn't need to be mastered right away. As long as it let Luffy use G4 for a ridiculous amount of time and use attacks like king kong gun more frequently he will be fine. Luffy beat Lucci with extreme difficulty after just using 2 gears he did not master until time skip.

18. Date Damon

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

ok. I see what you're trying to say here now. Awakening improving G4 is to be expected. That's for sure. But I still stand by my point that Luffy would have to need some time to at least get a hold of the new power. He may have got a hint from the fight vs Katakuri but I don't think he can just pull out his Awakening like that at this point(unless he's been practicing it offscreen).

19. Chicano180

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Completely disagree. G4 attacks so far aren't even as strong as strong mochi. G4 hit was blocked easily by Big Mom without even needing to attack.

Tankman Cannonball would have never worked if Cracker would be able to take some damage, but as he himself stated, he can't.

Having G4 only seems able to barely keep up with 1st commanders. He still needs to better armament haki to catch up to 1st commander, better his observational haki to catch up to 1st commander, awake his DF to catch up to 1st commander, and better his conqueror's haki to catch up to yonkou. He's still fairly behind to be on equal terms with some of the top dogs, he's a good underdog tho.

20. Finmordil

Expand Collapse

I would differenciate the Paramecia df. We have Logia-like Paramecias (Katakuri is made of mochi, Luffy is made of gum, Mr. 3 is made of candle wax), and other types of Paramecias (Robin, Doffy, Law, Raizo or Kanjuro). Maybe the awakening of the Paramecias might be different between themselves, and we cannot imagine all sorts of awakening.
    But, as I said before, I think that some Paramecias are similar to Logias, so those Paramecias' awakening might be similar to each other. Imo Luffy's awakening will be as the two Paramecias' awakenings we've seen so far (Doffy and Kata), I mean, he will be able to transform it's environment into rubber - even Doffy said that is the awakening of a Paramecia, and he seems to know a lot about devil fruits.

And as for the Block mochi of Katakuri, I think it's not related to awakening but mastering his df, the same way Luffy is mastering his df with the gears, specially the G4 (Katakuri masters density of mochi, Luffy masters tension/cinetic properties of rubber.)

RTNblackninja likes this.