1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Luffy's Hidden Ability (843+)

Discussion in 'One Piece Theories' started by Marco Polo, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Marco Polo

“super moderator”
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

#1 Marco Polo, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    This theory is mostly stolen so I apologise

I half discussed this in the upcoming chapter review ft. @FrankyGaon15 , but since it's been a while since I looked at this so I've re-directed people here

Introductions aside, let's begin

During the course of the series, we've seen Luffy eat until he becomes stupidly fat, only for him to return to his normal shape within the next set of panels. We saw it again this week, in Chapter 843:

wtf is this (2).jpg

Now, I know what you're thinking:

"But Marco it's clearly a gag"
    "Marco why'd you get me all excited for a proper theory when you're just gonna focus on a joke, -1"
    "Marco sign my chest"
    I can resolve two of the following problems within this thread.*

If you would like Marco Polo to sign your chest, please send a request to:
    Marco Polo
    Marco Polo Industries Fan Division
    95 Percent Street
    England
    North Blue
    PO Box 42 069
    Within this request, please send:
    • Your forum name
    • A meeting location for the chest signing
    • A skin marker
    • McDonalds coupons
    • A 500 word brief explaining what Marco Polo means to you and why you want your chest signed

Back to the theory and explaining why this is now (somewhat) noteworthy. I mentioned above that we've seen Luffy go from super fat to normal before, but this is the first time that anyone's actually commented about him doing this in a more serious way (I think Ivankov mentioned it in Impel Down after Luffy recovers from the hormone treatment but it was more comedic than anything there). With this chapter, we can say that it's not just a gag any more, that Luffy is actually able to digest massive amounts of food in an instant.

So, Luffy digests food super quick. But how? The following video by the King of Lightning is where I've taken the idea from, I'm just adding 843 stuff because it strengthens the case.

For those who don't want to watch the video, here's a summary:
    • This ability of Luffy's to suddenly change his body from fat to normal is based on the Chinese martial art of Qi Gong
    • There have been instances of this before in the series; Kumadori of the CP9 can do this through an ability known as "Life Return"
    • A potential further application of this is Lao G being able to release energy he's stored over the years (when he suddenly became buff against Chinjao and Sai)
    • Luffy isn't aware of this ability yet; he simply does it innately but there is potential for him to control it in the future
    As far as a potential cause for this ability goes, there's not enough in the story right now to say for sure, but if I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it's most likely a genetic thing than anything else.

Before I explain the genetic thing, one thought that's come in to my head during the write-up of this theory is "Could it just be his Devil Fruit?" The answer to that is no, for the following reason: Whilst the Gomu Gomu no Mi allows him to stretch more than a normal person, accounting for the drastic change in appearance. However, it doesn't explain how he's able to digest so quickly, as his Devil Fruit likely doesn't affect his metabolism. Sure, you could say his digestive enzymes are stretchy so he can digest faster, but that mechanism would probably cause him a load of other health issues, as well as being over complicated, which is why I'm less keen on this idea.

Back to genetics now.

Nami asking whether Luffy "is even human" seems like one of the more obvious hints that it's not just a result of a Devil Fruit, rather a result of his actual genetic makeup as a whole. Whether it's an inherited trait from the Monkey D. family, or some kind of rare mutation is up for discussion, but with the recent revelations about genetics, both with the Vinsmokes and with the explanation of how Devil Fruits work that Law gave in Chapter 698 (you can find this either in @Jawahib and I's Devil Fruit video, or look at the chapter itself), the idea of genetics playing a role is no longer as far-fetched in One Piece as it might initially have seemed.

That's me done now

Thoughts?​

Seiryu, Red, Villaine and 2 others like this.
  2. Chaudfontaine

Chaudius Caesar
    Moderator Member of the Year 2017 YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

You could say that the peristaltic movement from his guts can move a hell of a lot faster due to his fruit?
    He would shit a lot faster/more too
    But that's probably too scientific.

His exessive eating, he developed with garp and ace back in east blue, right? so it can be possible that his genes help him digest faster too.

Likable theory. 10/10 would like something signed!

Betelgeuse and Marco Polo like this.
  3. Marco Polo

“super moderator”
    Expand Collapse

I feel like the moment we start using any relatively complex science, we're over thinking

That's a good point actually, he could have adapted to eating so much, but then he always had a massive appetite

Another thought, could this metabollism thing be a D trait? We've seen Garp and Ace eat as much as Luffy, if not more, and Blackbeard seemed to eat a lot in Mock Town. If it were the case, because these guys can't stretch in the way Luffy can, we don't notice how full they actually get, so for them it's kind of "hidden"

4. Betelgeuse

Red Supergiant
    Busoshoku Haki YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

I see what you're getting at and to be honest I like the idea quite a bit ;) Life return is an ability that is difficult to perfect but in order to master it you have to be able to fully control your body. If Luffy mastered life return he'd technically master his df(awakening) because his life return would work differently as a rubber man and life return would bring the best out of his rubber body.

So he'd be able to expand, contract and increase his elasticity at free will. Without the need for cladding the majority of his body in haki meaning that he can conserve a lot more stamina. I like how you pointed that now.

I asked myself why Nami just mentioned that (Luffy not being human) in the latest chapter after so long and now you and that other person may have hit the nail on the head. This may be foreshadowing Luffy's awakened df powers, nice work :D

Marco Polo likes this.
  5. Skivar

Expand Collapse

Didn't read the theory yet, but I'd like to get my chest signed.

Marco Polo likes this.
  6. Marco Polo

“super moderator”
    Expand Collapse

Hit up my PO Box guys x

I think he'd still need Haki, considering how central it is to fighting now and controlling elasticity wouldn't work as a replacement for Haki

Glad you enjoyed the theory :)

Betelgeuse likes this.
  7. Jawahib

Both Exotic and Professor
    Expand Collapse

I wrote most of my thoughts on this stuff in this thread which seems to, as this thread points out, be supported by the attention Oda is now giving to Luffy's superhuman qualities from this latest chapter, but I'll briefly reiterate here:

I think we've all to some extent taken Luffy's innate strength and other superhuman aspects for granted. His rapid digestion has only played a role in comedic settings (the closest one to being serious is after he fought Zoro on Whiskey Peak), and his strength is just a part of who he is. No character commented on it in a serious setting, and Oda hasn't seriously commented on it either, and I think we've all just taken that cue to roll with it.

But now all that has been brought into question by Nami's non-comedic, unspoken question "It's hard to believe he's human". Suddenly his weirdness is actually serious. It's gone from Oda having a laugh and keeping the jokes out of the serious parts, to a sudden overlap between funny Luffy and "real" Luffy, and the implications are, exactly as this thread suggests, that Luffy has a "hidden ability". I'm more quite happy to subscribe to such thinking.

While I acknowledge that the above theory about Qi Gong would be really cool to see, I'm a lot more open-minded about the possible explanation for his strength. What's more significant for me is existence of the explanation, not the explanation itself. However, like you, I'm leaning towards genetics. The Family of D. It's been this long in the story, and there are no tangible links or significance for those with D in their names. It's gotta come up at some point, and a hidden ability like this makes a good deal of sense to me (though I'm sure it'd depress various theorists).

Marco Polo likes this.
  8. Betelgeuse

Red Supergiant
    Expand Collapse

Remember what Doffy said? The fact that Luffy needed haki to maintain Gear 4 shows his lack of experience with his df ;)

I think he'd use haki of course but he won't need it unless he is attacking :P but I enjoyed your theory a lot

9. Chaudfontaine

Chaudius Caesar
    Moderator Member of the Year 2017 YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

I've already send my 500-word letter, did you?

10. Marco Polo

“super moderator”
    Expand Collapse

The thing that I find lacking with the Qi Gong explanation is it seems like something that you have to learn to be able to do, rather than something your body just does, which is why I prefer the genetic explanation

Perhaps it's not just digestion that's enhanced, and Luffy has other natural traits we'd consider unusual; if we're looking at the D family and why they're so dangerous there's gotta be more to it than just "oh they can digest food quick", and there's something else in their genes that sets them apart from the rest

The more I talk about superior genetics, the more I think of Saiyans in Dragonball Z

That's more how I meant it, I misinterpreted your comment as his Devil Fruit mastery would completely replace Haki, even when trying to hit Logias etc

I can confirm that Chaud has sent me a letter that has warmed my fontaine

Chaudfontaine likes this.
  11. Red

Red
    4ever REDDY
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

#11 Red, Oct 23, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    Quite an interesting read, thanks

I'll deviate from the topic at hand with what I've written below, sorry for that.

I'm not gonna comment on the theory in itself, but I'm curious about the part where you've mentioned Nami commenting whether Luffy is "even human". There might also be an explanation to how he was able to survive all those poisons from the series: Magellan from Impel Down; Hyouzou from Fishman Island (this is especially suggestive since Hyouzou is a fishman that possesses one of the deadliest poisons in the sea, since he is a Blue-Ringed Octopus; Caesar's poison gas, etc.

I'm also puzzled by how this might affect Ivankov's treatment on him where his lifespan is reduced by 10 years.

Marco Polo likes this.
  12. Marco Polo

“super moderator”
    Expand Collapse

Hey hey hey

More evidence has come out for this so imma update real quick

IMG_2430.PNG IMG_2431.PNG IMG_2432.PNG

If you don't want to read the spoiler, here it is in text form

> Luffy is shrivelled like a raisin
    > Luffy eats a bit
    > 30 seconds later and he's back to normal

13. Marco Polo

“super moderator”
    Expand Collapse

UPDATE TIME: Chapter 926

It turns out that Eustass Kidd shares Luffy’s freaky body changing ability:

BEF6C854-314C-481C-954D-95F3FAB85C76.png

Even though I ruled it out in my original post, this definitely removes the “Gomu Gomu no Mi” explanation, meaning there’s another factor causing it. To try and work out what it is, we have to examine the things that Luffy and Kidd have in common that affect their biology. And there’s 3 I can think of.

1. They’re both Devil Fruit Users, and something about the way Devil Fruits affect the body causes these changes - I think this explanation is unlikely because we’ve met tons of Devil Fruit users that can’t do this. We don’t “officially” know Kidd’s Devil Fruit yet, so depending on what his Fruit is and if it causes any significant changes to his body, it’s possible that it’s down to Devil Fruits. Though this is unlikely.

2. They’re both Conqueror’s Haki Users - Now we haven’t seen Kidd do it yet, but Kaido states that Kidd can do it and we have to take his word. Again, I think it’s unlikely since we’ve seen other Conqueror’s Haki users and none have shown this ability yet, but then I don’t think we’ve seen them eat.

3. They’re both from the D bloodline - Now, I know what you’re going to say. “Marco, you’re drunk again. Kidd isn’t from the D bloodline.” Okay okay. Just hear me out for a second. Trafalgar Law is from the D clan but he keeps that name hidden. What’s to say Kidd doesn’t do the same? We’ve also got the most compelling evidence for the D connection being the cause of their metabolism - we know a lot of D’s who are big eaters. Luffy. Ace. Garp. Blackbeard. The only D we’ve met that doesn’t stuff his face at any opportunity is Law, but then he had a pretty nasty illness as a child, which may have had some lasting effects despite him healing himself. It’s pure conjecture, but Kidd being one of the D clan has been discussed before, and I think this might be the first real piece of evidence, other than “it’d be cool if he was.”

Anyway yeah that’s my update, I’m glad I get to revisit this theory because it still is pretty unique as far as theories go (thanks, King of Lightning)

14. Urek Mazino

Expand Collapse

Funny how something like this came to mind to me today after this chapter. I think it has something to do with being a D.

We know Marco commented that Blackbeard’s body is different. What if it isn’t just Blackbeard who has a different body? What if all the D’s have some different kind of body ability? But like you mentioned I believe, some other characters who aren’t D’s have done this thing.

But on Kidd being a D an him hiding this like Law did could simply be Eustass D. Kid. I’m sure everyone has seen that little theory. But if it all happens to be connected then, hey ‍♂️

15. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I think it has more to do with the "superhuman" aspect. Even Zoro and Nami intake ridiculous amounts of alcohol and never gain a pound (the amount of rice shouldn't do that, but that much alcohol would). Even Usopp is superhuman (to a much lower extent) in that he has never gotten sick once in his life. So I would assume Usopp has a higher than average metabolism. The party scenes always focus on Luffy, but I would assume the entire crew eats more than the "normal" human.

Marco Polo likes this.
  16. Marco Polo

“super moderator”
    Expand Collapse

I don’t think Zoro and Nami binge drink regularly - they do drink a lot but they’re far from doing it at an alcoholic level. Besides, Zoro spends most of his free time working out so I’d guess that’s where all his weight goes to. Usopp may have “superhuman” traits but we know that his metabolism is somewhat “normal” - we see him have to actively try and lose weight while he’s on the Boin Archipelago

I do think there is a “superhuman” aspect in One Piece, but Luffy and Kidd’s metabolisms manifest themselves in such a deliberate and obvious way that makes me think there has to be something special about those two in particular; none of the other “super humans” you mentioned could do that. The question is: what connects these two, and there isn’t a concrete answer yet. We just have to wait and see what explanation is given (if any)