1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Luffy's hidden ability in Wano

Discussion in 'One Piece Theories' started by Strawhats360, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Strawhats360

Expand Collapse

As we seen in the latest chapter, Luffy is carrying the cursed sword around and is preparing to take it out to fight. I believe during his 2 year training with Rayleigh, he would have been trained to an extent in using a sword. He may not be as good as others but i believe that Rayleigh knowing that they may enter Wano and also being a swordsman himself, would have trained Luffy in using a sword somewhat. We may see Luffy show these skills in this arc which will also add to his arsenal of powers. I believe we will see Luffy use a sword and show some hidden abilities we never would have thought he had. Thoughts?

Seiryu likes this.
  2. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Glad to read your first post since joining! I think I'm just super down since the bad news of Oda cutting the series short, but this kills off most theories now. Wano Kuni absolutely has to be the introduction of Luffy's awakening now since Oda is trying to condense the rest of the series into a few years now (supposed to be 6-7 years).

3. gboxrkw

Expand Collapse

it can be possible that luffy some how can use sword or he might have learned during the training rayleigh gave him.
    But if you guys remembered on thriller bark we already saw luffy using sword when they gave him the shadow of a skilled navy swordman, so it is possible that luffy remembers those skills now and use them during wano.

4. Monkey D. Ruffy

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Good luck with that

5. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

6. Betelgeuse

Red Supergiant
    Busoshoku Haki YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

I believe Luffy carrying this sword will play a vital role to his development but in a different way from you. Luffy will never be proficient with a sword. Luffy relies on Zoro as his swordsman and he wouldn't be interested in using a sword anyways.

Anyways here is what I believe the sword will do. Awakening. Awakening has been a big part of high level fighters in the New World. Luffy can't use it yet. If Oda continues with the turning your surroundings into the df. Luffy may first learn he can awaken his fruit by turning the sword into rubber during a serious fight. Luffy would presumably have to practice turning smaller objects into rubber before transforming large objects into it. The sword will also trach him to coat objects in haki. He probably hasn't done that yet since he only uses his body to fight unlike Zoro. Both Katakuri and Doffy were able to coat their awakened powers with haki so Luffy would too.

7. Monkey D. Ruffy

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

I’m not saying he isn’t gonna try. But Oda has said so many times “only a 5 more years” and it kept going. I’m not complaining. OP could keep going for another 10-15 years and I would keep reading it. The day one piece ends is gonna a beautiful and sad day.

8. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Unless the quote you are going off of is relatively recent (the past 3ish years), I would assume it is a misinterpretation of the original 5 year plan. The entire story was supposed to last only 5 years, but the massive popularity around 2005-6 allowed Oda to expand the story. This is where he kept providing more and more details (which most readers wanted and still want).

Prior to the referenced announcement, the remaining plot was supposed to take 6-7 years. I'm too lazy to calculate what the new numbers are, but Oda is planning to cut it significantly shorter than that. Ultimately, that's hella depressing for me since I'd rather give up the series than watch is degrade in quality.

@Betelgeuse not a bad idea, but from the martial arts perspective of training to the point until the weapon becomes a natural part of the body, Luffy should be able to immediately imbue haki into whatever form his awakening takes (for those already shown a similar concept applies since the new "material" is part of themselves essentially).

9. bandurista24

Fifth Emperor
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Oda always lie. He says it is almost finished but then a few years later it will be lengthen. though i think wano arc would be fast since there isnt much story to tell here just momo and his heritage then the war versus kaidou. Thats it and then we will take a break in elbaf the second to the last arc i think Where the last red poneglyph lies Then its the final war against world government. I think 5-8 years more is enough but it is oda when something comes up a great idea then it will surely be lengthened

10. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

No, no. Oda's editors have blatantly lied. At least for the interviews I have read (I missed a few years in the middle of this decade), Oda has always been highly truthful since he has always been secretive.

Based on the numbers, it is going to be 4-5 years. The previous estimate was 6-7 years. He literally is cutting out multiple arcs based on his most recent comments (which still should be taken as truthful, just with a tinge of skepticism since Oda is losing motivation).

11. bandurista24

Fifth Emperor
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

4-5 years wont do it. There are still too much mysteries waiting to be solved. And which arcs are being cut? From what i think wano elbaf and the raftel arc is the remaining ones. And why is oda losing motivation?

12. PirateKing_D_Luffy

Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

The title tempts me to relate it with previous events.

Luffy's hidden ability in Wano just like

Luffy,'s hidden Conquer Haki in Marinefold
    Or better
    Luffy 's hidden mushroom in Amazon Lilly

:duckuin:

13. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I did not do the calculation, but assuming other members did the math correctly, Oda's new 80% completion equates to only 4-5 years left. None of us know (probably even his editors right now) what Oda is planning to cut down to fit this new shorter ending to One Piece.

Hopefully the surprise fan feedback/questions gets Oda back in the groove to power through the rest of the series. No one can say for sure (Oda would have to be the one to answer pretty much all of these questions), but based on previous interviews, not only is the pressure getting to Oda, but he doesn't like "losing". He wants to keep surprising everyone with all of his twists. That is impossible since he did such a great job setting out the outline. Now that we have most of the puzzle completed, it is quite easy to see what's left. Oda was driven and motivated by being able to come up with things no one could ever hope of predicting. He probably wants to keep that up despite it being completely impossible to do. Someone needs to remind him that his original 5 year plan is the perfect ending, and should be the only ending for this great series. Hopefully he isn't changing things from this (coming up with a whole new ending just to shorten the series 2-3 years). I completely agree with that sentiment as a fan. Unfortunately, what made Oda great is also what is driving him into a corner now. If he had someone he respects point this out to him, it would fix everything.

bandurista24 likes this.
  14. bandurista24

Fifth Emperor
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Well every manga ends no matter how popular how great how beautiful it is. Oda sensei just need to accept this. Maybe he can go create a new manga after one piece that would make a new motivation. A motivation to end one piece that will make his fans feeling satisfied, over satisfied 1 million percent and go create a new manga about robots, i think he said that before. As a fan, i hope i can say and motivate oda sensei by saying he really did a good job on one piece. The best manga ever created.

Seiryu likes this.