1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Made in Abyss (Manga)

Discussion in 'Manga Series' started by Booker, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Booker

Not A Member
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

#1 Booker, Nov 28, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    [​IMG]

Name: Made in Abyss (メイドインアビス)
    Demographic: Seinen
    Genre: Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Mystery, Sci-Fi, Supernatural, Tragedy
    Chapters (Status): 43 - as of Nov. 28th 2017 (ongoing)
    Author & Artist: Tsukushi Akihito
    Serialization: Web Comic Gamma (irregular release)

Description:
    The enormous cave system, known as the Abyss, is the last unexplored place in the world. Nobody knows how deep down goes this titanic pit, inhabited by strange and wondrous creatures and full of mysterious ancient relics which purpose in unknown to modern man. Generations of bold adventurers have been drawn by the cryptic depths of the Abyss. In course of time those brave enough to explore the dangerous pit came to be known as "Delvers."

In Orth, the town at the edge of the Abyss, there lives a little orphan named Riko, who dreams of becoming as great a delver as her mother was and solving the great mystery of the pit. One day exploring the murky depths she stumbles upon a little boy, who turns out to be a robot...

Judgement and Grin like this.
  2. Booker

Not A Member
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Time Dilation, The Birthday-Sickness & The 2000 Year Cycle of Death

We know by now that the Birthday Sickness is a real thing that kills people; on top of that does it appear to be an extension of the curse that reaches Orth. The latter would be weird, as we know that the curse is essentially the force field that is present in the Abyss that acts as a semi-permiable membrane, only affecting those that move upwards though it. Not to mention that the main bulge of it is below the 200m mark of the Abyss (if I remember the number correctly) and neither did we observe or hear about any other effects of the curse on Orth itself.
    The sickness itself could also easily get cured by simply moving a person away from Orth, or rather the Abyss.

Either way, we know that the Birthday-Sickness is a real thing by now. Thanks to the special chapters "Reg", "Mio" and "Jirou".
    We also know that Kiyui's birthday was just around the corner before Reg and Riko left. Reg mentioning Kiyui's birthday to be the next day, on the night they left.
    The special chapter "Reg" also implies that Mio arrived somewhen during the few months Reg spend in Orth and we see her again in the special chapter concerning her and how she treated Kiyui's case by moving him to the caravan fleet, away from Orth. Possibly, most likely, during his birthday; so the day after Reg and Riko left.
    With Jirou even mentioning that he is the 5th case already, and not the first. That only in the orphanage.
    So something is defenitely going on and it appears to be the Birthday-Sickness.

Then are we quite close to the end of another 2000 year cycle, being somewhere around 1900 years into the current cycle at the beginning of the series.
    The Burial Tower is a place filled with praying corpses from 2000 years ago. Beneath that is a ruin with praying corpses that are 4000 years old and beneath that is another ruin with praying corpses 6000 years old. Heavily hinting at a cycle that repeats every 2000 years that kills a lot of people, at least if we can trust Siggy's information here.
    It's also to note that there is a massive amount of corpses inside the Abyss, not at the edge of it. Though more to that soon.

Now time dilation comes in.
    It is mentioned earlier that 2 weeks in the 5th layer add up to ~3 months on the surface (Orth). I'm also going to assume that this time dilation is only going to grow stronger the deeper you go and I expect a very drastic increase from the 5th to the 6th layer and from the 6th to the 7th, though this small part is only an assumption.

So, we know that the Birthday-Sickness is starting to manifest and take victims already at the beginning of the series.
    Then do we see in chapter "Jirou" something interesting: Nametags decending the Abyss togehter with the pedals of Eternal Fortune flowers; something used during burials and a huge amount of them.
    Indicating that a lot of people are dying up there.

We don't know for sure how much time has passed on Orth by now, but it appears to be quite some time, considering the sheer amount of name tags, if the cause really is the Birthday-Sickness.
    We might even be way closer to the end of the current cycle, if time dilation is getting much stronger from the 5th to the 6th layer.
    Not to mention that we don't even know how long our party is already in the Abyss and how strong time dilation is on levels above the 5th.

The is there the little fact that the lowest levels of the Abyss look a lot like eyes and a mouth (map).
    So throwing another idea in:
    The Abyss consumes the "0th layer", were Orth currentely is, once every ~2000 years. Which would explain why all these corpses in and below the Burial Tower are found in the Abyss, where it is hard for humans to live, rather than directely beneath Orth.

Besides that are there some small details like Faputa wearing Reg's headgear from Volume 6's cover as "bra".

Faputa being a blessed, so who sacrifsed themself for Faputa. Not to mention Faputa's possible connection to Lyza, due to both knowing Reg or Faputa possibly being Lyza.

The giant robot Faputa has with them that is just like Reg, her being the queen of the Narehate village and how Nanchi possibly will play into this and how they is connected to the "balancing" in the village.

Also the value-shift that is apparentely going to trap you in the Narehate village, if you don't desire anything anymore and reach an equilibrium. Not to mention how Nanachi appears to be close to it.

Kajya being an untrustworthy fucker and him stealing Prushka will have consequences for the group with a conflict between him and Riko already set up. Especially because Nanachi and Reg already have theirs and Kajya already pointed out how valuable Riko would be for him.

Though that's only the stuff I got from reading it once.

Grin likes this.
  3. Glaze D. Bacon

Light it up.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

A mutual had recommended this to me, but I can’t seem to find a legal way to watch/read it. Shame...

4. Booker

Not A Member
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Crunchyroll and Amazon both have it as anime.
    Or just read it illegally and buy the volumes ones they start releasing in december, if you liked it.

5. Mikanami

(* ̄︶ ̄*)
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Grin likes this.
  6. Mapache

means raccoon
    Haoshoku Haki YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

@X Drake recommended the anime to me a while ago. Some time after that I watched the first episode but I'm really more into reading manga than watching anime so I decided to switch to that. I didn't regret it at all, I started reading it on a saturday night and finished it by sunday. I love the adventure-y feeling to it, and also the twist that once you go deeper and deeper into the abyss you're not able to get out of it anymore. The story and setting are so full of creativity and imagination, it's a joy to discover this world (and the abyss) more and more. Right from the beginning I was so curious about how the lowest known levels would be and what what the protagonists would find even further down. I also enjoyed reading Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne and Made in Abyss just hits the same nerve.

First I didn't like that the protagonists are children but I don't mind anymore. Also the little loli-esque parts put me off a bit (hanging naked wtf) but I can overlook them.

P.S. Love for Mitty m ( @ 人 * ) m

Grin and X Drake like this.