1. The results of the Member of the Year voting are in... Find out who won!
  2. The Monthly PAW February 2020 is out now. Check it out!
  3. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Meeting Strangers

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Joestar, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Krazy

DR. TEDDY
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

Just go up to them and ask " May I see your socks, I want to know if they are new". I guess that would be breaking the ice thing.

2. sweetjacky

Doggie Mom
    Administrator
    Expand Collapse

I don't really meet strangers because of my social anxiety. Especially not in crazy ways like that xD

3. Twelve

NSFW
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

I am a fake extrovert (Type INFJ: Myers–Briggs Type Indicator) so I blend in pretty well with all most--if not all-- kinds of people and adjust depending on who I am with so it's not hard for me to talk to people, including strangers. I didn't use to be like this and was also afraid of strangers before but I wanted to challenge myself by going out of my comfort zone and meet new people so that I could learn new things. So now...what I do is just smile or nod to acknowledge them. I think a genuine smile easily makes anyone feel comfortable with you.

I am not usually the first to say hi or anything to strangers but I somehow always end up being a "stranger favorite" in the sense that I've had people talk about their secrets and their whole life during a first meeting. The comfort of not feeling judged or anything by a nobody, I guess. There was also this one girl in one of my food nutrition classes who talked for a good 2 hours about an anime when we first met (I was just listening). She ended up being my roommate in college later xD Overall, I guess meeting strangers is not always a scary experience.

Kia likes this.
  4. Mapache

means raccoon
    Supernova
    Expand Collapse

This reminds me of a little story that happened to me. I'll try to keep it short.

One day on a crowded bus a woman and her friend were sitting opposite of me and the woman randomly offered me candy which was nice. Then the next day, another crowded bus, an old man sat next to me. That day I was having chocolate with me and thinking of that lady's generosity the previous day I offered the man some chocolate. That's how we started to talk and kept on talking for 40 more minutes (I learned that he was 90-something years old!). He was a very sweet man and I enjoyed the whole conversation without feeling awkward even once.

Apart from that specific story it mostly happens the other way around, strangers initiate a conversation with me. Another time on a bus a guy told me he was a prince from Cameroon and asked if I wanted to marry him. Or once a guy a the airport talked to me and we spent a cool day together one day later.

sweetjacky and Kia like this.