1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

More BB-Codes And Some Other Small Features

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Feedback & Support' started by Booker, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Booker

Not A Member
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

First of all, those suggestions are mainly to make OPF as a whole look better and to make it more comfortable to use, in my opinion that is.
    What that means in the long run and if it is worth it has still to be decided by the higher ups.

My first suggestions would be more BB-Codes that allow to give better structure to posts & threads:

I'm currentely thinking mainly about tables/infoboxes, as these allow for a nice way to seperate different parts of longer text segments, while maintaining the natural flow in the segment itself.
    They may look like this, the two examples that I'm used to, or you come up with something on your own; up to you folks.
    (I hope showing these examples doesn't count as advertising of some sort)

[​IMG]
    Created with:
    Code:
    [table=...]...[/table] | [infobox=...]...[/infobox]

On top of that would be a page inside the forum be nice that shows all usable and avaiable BB-Code with examples of what the codes make out of the text used on. So that people new to the system can get a grip on it, if they want to.
    Add to that a possible new text editor that is a combination of the Rich Text Editor and the BB Code Editor. A kind of combination that shows the author the raw text with code while writing, that has the easy-to-use buttons of the rich text editor on top. That'd be really nice.

Those features may only be used by people who want to make their texts fancy or structered in a better way, but you'd defenitely please those and make way for better looking threads in future.

I know that Xenforo offers at least the tables, the right example is taken from another Xenforo based forum. You'd need to take a look for yourself about the rest, if you're interested.

Resizing and Uploading of Images:

Automatic resizing of images would be a really nice thing and prevent threads from being flooded by huge images that block the view on everything else.
    On top of that could you also add a code-button, like we already have them for adding an image to the tread, that allows you to type the size of the image you want to have for the image in the code that allows the forum to show the image in the post/thread.
    Possibly like this:

Code:
    Normal: [IMG]image[/IMG]
    Suggestiong to resizing by code: [IMG=250x250]image with size 250x250[/IMG]
    I hope this gives a rough understanding of what I mean.
    Might solve the problem for too big images, if automatic resizing ins't possible.

Additionally, a button that automatically opens a pop-up to imgur, allowing you to drag&drop and image in their or give imgur the URL to upload it automatically, without needing to imgur in an own tab, would be nice. Especially if the uploaded picture then automatically adds to the thread in the usual form of code needed to display it.

A standard for Thread Titles:

Creating a rule of thumb for how thread titles should look like would be nice for the eyes.
    Wrong spelling and grammar aside, that is something mods and admins would need to take care of, having something along the lines of:
    1. No CAPSLOCK thread titles
    2. Only the first word has a capitalized letter and the rest are written small (exception A, excpetion B, etc.)
    3. No use of abbreviations
    (There are add-ons that can take care of most of that stuff on their own)

Might be nice.
    It would create a standard and not the current "write whatever and however you want it" way that sometimes doesn't look good at all.
    You might even go futher and forbid one-liner opening posts in threads or something like that. Simply to have the whole thing look better.

That's what I could come up with and/or remember as of now.
    I know myself how hard it is to implement this stuff compared to simply suggesting it, so I don't even expect any of this to happen for sure, but I just wanted ot throw a few ideas in the pot, if they are wanted.

Thanks for your time.

2. Glaze D. Bacon

Light it up.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Night mode. Don't forget night mode!

3. sweetjacky

Purrrrple Kitty
    Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

I really like your suggestions. The tables can make the threads a lot better, I find some threads here a bit messy anyway so it could definitely help.

And I'd love to get that imgur button if it's possible because on phone it's a pain to upload images. Most photos I take with my phone are too big to directly upload on the forum and when I want to use imgur on my phone I need to either get the app or change to desktop version which just takes more battery :/

4. lucci

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

more Bb codes could be added but i don't think many would use it.
    Img resizing via code was possible earlier but that was removed in the last forum update and not many used that either.
    Standardization of thread titles is also a nice idea but posing such restrictions may discourage newer members as hardly anyone goes through rules before posting.

5. Booker

Not A Member
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Well, adding them isn't hard.
    You only need to put them into your code box, if the system didn't change, and you'd most likely not even need to write the HTML-code for the BB-code as you have lying around the frequentely used ones over the net.
    If necessary then I'd look them up myself.
    So adding them won't harm, if it's implemented in a way that doesn't make the button-bar a mess.

A shame that it wasn't used, considering the partly massive image sizes around here.
    Though I'd prefer an automatic resize myself anyway.

How would that be discouraging?
    It's not like it's saying "don't make new posts", it's rather "don't be an internet-dick with your thread titles". Capslock-ing and other non-sense is often considered rude, after all.
    There are add-ons that can automatically capitalize every letter of a word in the thread title, if that is going to be the option chosen, then there is no work required from anybody.
    Also, you can easily create a banner/header/however you call them for eveyone with, let's say, less than 25 posts, I already did that in Xenforo, so I know that it is possible. Those are seen and if they have flashy letters with a link embedded into them, then they're clicked on, too.
    Other than that, if nothing at all is implemented, let the staff team PM the people who do it wrong. Creating thread titles in a way that suits the forum rules isn't hard after all and people shouldn't have problems with that after a friendly reminder from the staff.

Grin likes this.
  6. Grin

The luckiest egg in the world
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Well, I don't really know about the first one. I'm kind of terrible at formatting anyway, haha. It'd probably be a big help for the people making larger posts/theory threads and such, though.
    The latter two have my full support, though. I've often resorted to hiding images in spoiler tags because they were so big and I was too lazy to resize/crop. Having an automatic resize would probably be a blessing on the mobile users. Though I dunno if that would actually impact how long it takes to load the images.

Thread titles? Certainly! Though I don't recall seeing too many offending ones, save for perhaps the theory section. Nonetheless it doesn't seem like too big of a deal, could be added to Rules.

7. Christina Choi

Little Panda
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I dont really think Title standards are needed. Even if the mods make a standard for titles, i don't think people would follow the rules. Especially the new members.

8. Booker

Not A Member
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

It doesn't impact the loading times for the images, as far as I know. Though I never use the mobile version of anything, so it might have an effect?
    The thing it will do at the very least is giving more space in posts and threads for actual thoughts and conversation, or rather putting the spotlight on the actual discussion or dialouge that is taking place, as the texts aren't going to be interrupted by large scale images anymore.

It was more about ugly looking ones, compared to some that are actually offending.
    Either way, I'd prefer them to look nice and having a proper standard might help and it might not even need to be added to the rules, if the proper add-on is found.

9. Marco Polo

circus act
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

As someone who likes to play around with post formats, I ship this

10. Monster Trio

青眼の究極竜
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I think the thread's overall idea is great, but just wanted to add to this... This was possible in previous versions and was indeed a very nice feature, I wouldn't mind having it again.

11. lucci

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

i have seen ppl flip out bcuz their threads got closed/merged so i don't know really xD
    like some simple rules like no caps is easy to remember but something like no abbreviations may not be followed and ppl don't like being told to do things simply bcuz they can act like goons on the internet xD
    I mean i am down for all the changes suggested xD

12. Booker

Not A Member
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

@Owl & @Cosmos
    You're the admins so I'll go directely to you now.

Any progress regarding this suggestion?
    Did you reach any kind of answer; be it a "yes", a "no", a "maybe", a "we're looking for add-ons, but haven't found them yet" or a "we're keeping quiet about this until everyone has forgotten this thread was made"?
    The latter won't work because I usually remember such stuff, the very same goes for Jacky's Suggestion and Deathstroke's Suggestion, but having any sort of reply would be nice to know were we are at, even if it is a simple "no. we won't implement it".

I mean ~3 weeks should be plenty of time to reach some kind of conclusion regarding the suggestion and having an official reply is nice, as you simply don't feel ignored.
    We even have staff member posting in said threads. So we know that the staff is aware of the suggestions.

So, what's up?

Thank you.

sweetjacky likes this.
  13. Owl

Owl
    Administrator
    Administrator
    Expand Collapse

We will implement this as soon as possible. I don't see why not. Doubt many members will use it, but it won't hurt and we have the resources.

We already resize automatically all images, otherwise the layout of some thread would get all messed up. We never forced a minimum size because there's always exceptions.

In the past we had the option to members pick up the size they wanted, but nobody used it. When we upgraded to our new software, we decided to not implement this option again. But I still can take a look into that.

We can absolutely have some general rules for this, but we will certainly not make them enforceable. I've never been a fan of enforcing thread titles automatically (or not), since I've been annoyed by that feature in the past while being a member of other forums. There's always exceptions, and I don't mind editing titles of some threads when people go a little overboard, like I've been doing since the day I opened this forum. That's why I never even felt the need to have these rules, the number of new threads is not that high.

Thank you for your suggestions, @Booker.

14. Owl

Owl
    Administrator
    Administrator
    Expand Collapse

Here is a quick demo of the tables feature. I'll add documentation as soon as possible on how to create one.

This is a header cellThis is a header cell
    This is a left aligned cellThis is a centre aligned cell
    This is a right aligned cellLeft aligned
    Centre alignedRight aligned

Jawahib and Marco Polo like this.
  15. Booker

Not A Member
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

I havewaited so longfor this.
    Now it hasfinally happened, but I lackthe right picture