1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Mystery Woman

Discussion in 'One Piece Theories' started by Seiryu, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

1.png
    Oda is clearly trying to hide the identity of this mysterious woman, and these are the sorts of "breadcrumbs" that he loves to put out for fans. I would be willing to bet she comes up again (eventually), and probably relatively soon (since I doubt she will be a powerhouse necessary for the second half of the Wano Kuni arc). The main reason for this is that Oda could have simply had Zoro lost and randomly be found by the patrol guards. He not only is purposefully hiding her face, but also went out of his way to create the Sanji gag (which I think will be a running gag for the nakama to not go with Luffy to WCI).

So who exactly is this lady? My bet is on a relative, and probably older sister of Tama. Here's a few context points that make me think this:
    • Amigasa Village is quite remote, so chances are there is not much else in the surrounding area. This lady had a purpose to be in the area.
    • We know that it is Tama's birthday, so the reason to go out to this remote area could be tied to Tama's birthday.
    • The mystery lady almost immediately disappears in the short moments of Luffy and Zoro catching up (i.e. she's pretty damn fast considering the wasteland is completely wide open).

Something that ties all of these points together is that she is Tama's older sister, who is a kunoichi also loyal to the Kouzuki family. Her loyalty is why she has the responsibility to go out and be a spy (or at least blend in with the majority of loyalist to the Shogun). This is why she cannot fight openly since it would blow her cover.

Although she was planning to visit her little sister (more on this a bit later), Zoro and Luffy completely destroyed her plans. She is probably watching from the forest, but Hawkins' defeat will mean someone stronger will be sent to investigate, and she won't be sticking around for that level of danger. This is where Oda can delay her real introduction until the alliance starts to gather/plan their initial attack.

The large age gap may seem unlikely by current societal norms. However, this wasn't that uncommon (even when I was a kid it still happened) in that parenthood is/was highly planned/responsible by the majority of the population. Thus, especially in hard times (the entire existence of Amigasa Village as we know so far), child-birthing was only when there were resources to provide and raise the child. So historically, it was common to have large age gaps between children in Japan back in the day with the older sibling(s) trained to raise their younger siblings while the parents did the farming/household chores.

In typical Oda fashion, destiny/fate will bring them all together with a funny little scene of Luffy/Zoro being crazy reckless and making a big scene to ruin her plans. Being in such a rush, she may not have seen Tama on top of the doggy. Even if she does see Tama, the risk of Drake/Jack coming will force her to flee.

Think that covers the major aspects...any counter-theories/thoughts?

Jawahib likes this.
  2. Jawahib

Busoshoku Haki YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

I like this idea. You've thought it out well and I'm pretty convinced. The only thing I think you missed was that Zoro saving the lady was a statement of his character. I mean, we all sort of know by now that Zoro is a nice guy and stuff, but it's nice to know that his time on Wano (and even over the time skip, considering he hasn't had very many opportunities for his niceness to shine) hasn't taken away that aspect of his character. A nice reminder that Zoro is not merely a badass with a sword to make his fans scream in excitement.
    Otherwise, the context of this theory has already been answered by 913 where the lady was O-Tsuru (From the title of the chapter I thought we were gonna see the old Marine with the Washi Washi no Mi make a comeback, but alas, Oda just recycled a name for potentially the first time in the series)

Seiryu likes this.
  3. James geraghty

Expand Collapse

Zoro is always someone who does good but he tends to just come upon this opportunities by accident. By this I mean with someone like luffy he might see someone in danger and run off to help while zoro tends to just walk in on things and the villains just start a fight.
    For example in sabaody the celestial dragon shot a man and captured his fiancé to make his wife. Now while everyone was staying down trying not to attract attention zoro comes around doesn’t really notice what is going on until he is just a few feet away from the scene, he notices what’s his name looking at him and zoro asks if he is lost which triggers saint whathisname to pull a gun on him. Now in that instant zoro went in for the kill because a gun was pulled on him he wasn’t trying to save the man or woman.
    Now once things pass on zoro notices the injured guy and takes him to a hospital.
    Now the difference between him and luffy is luffy has a sense of hugency to him or exitement, with o-tama when she got sick luffy seemed kind of exited to go out and look for a doctor he wasn’t glad she was sick but he was clearly in a hurry and kind of exited to get a sword ( though technically he did steal it )
    With zoro he more of less just helps out with a unbothered tone. With the injured man zoro attitude was more or less “ I guess i will get him help I got no where else to go” now he did get a little annoyed when a doctor started talking about buying a slave.

So if I was to guess with this tsuru women more than likely zoro was just walking around, this woman was captured or was getting captured zoro just walked onto the scene out of nowhere and doesn’t really notices what’s going on, one of the villains notices him and attacks zoro and zoro just takes them down and saves this woman. This isn’t to say zoro would have walked away if he saw what was happening it is just more likely he didn’t notice what was happening and a fight started just because he annoyed a villain just because he walked up to them and didn’t show them any respect or fear.

Seiryu likes this.
  4. sweetjacky

Purrrrple Kitty
    Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

The title is referring to a japanese folklore story with the same name. Jaiminis Box had that as translators note. Means that there's a reason why he's using the name again.

https://www.kyuhoshi.com/2015/04/25/tsuru-no-ongaeshi/

So maybe Tsuru will really offer being his wife after he saved her. Personally I think Kiku would fit better though xD

Seiryu likes this.
  5. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Yup, I made the mistake of forgetting the dog took them far enough to introduce a different village. If they walked to the fight, then this would have had exponentially more potential.