New Information from Oda's Televised Interview

Discussion in 'One Piece News' started by Pacquiao8, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Pacquiao8

8th Commander of the Straw Hat Grand Fleet
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Source: TashigiTaisa from Reddit
    Video Interview: Here or Here

This interview was done last year (around December 2018).

Highlights:
    • Oda's workplace is attached to his house.
    • He has about 10 assistants.
    • He needs silence and doesn't speak when concentrating to work.
    • The One Piece treasure is a tangible thing, not an abstract one.
    • Ace won't come back to life.
    • He already has the end of the series in mind.
    • One Piece won't end in 100 volumes.
    • He sleeps from 9-12 AM, his staff sleeps from 5AM-12PM.
    • If someone predicted the ending, he will change it.
    • Amazon Lily arc was supposed to be done later in the series but decided to do it earlier before his daughter went to school.

Seiryu, Edinbour, ignisC4t and 2 others like this.
  2. Chaudfontaine

Chaudius Caesar
    Moderator Member of the Year 2017 YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

pls don't half-ass the ending because somebody guessed it, pretty pls

3. Pacquiao8

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

My take:
    • Good thing he re-iterated the fact that the One Piece treasure is a real reward because it's apparent that some people still believes that it's their journey or something cheesy.
    • It's also stated that it's ending a bit more than the 100th volume. My guess would be around Volume 120-150. That's assuming that Wano arc is the 80% mark is correct and only minor things would be added later on. I mean, we still have major arcs for Elbaf and Raftel and there must be some minor arcs and additions later on.
    • Does that mean that there is still no people who predicted the ending? So the final Great World War won't be the finale?

4. Chill024

Expand Collapse

No more theory thread to avoid this:coffeepal:

5. Captain_tatsumaki

Expand Collapse

Maybe he reads only Japanese theorists and they aren't as good as we.... Hehehehe (just kidding)

6. GoldenVenus

I shall rise
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Well of course, and I'm thankful he's not another Tite Kubo.

Well...this scares me a little. I mean, he's been saying the ending is the best part of the series, so I'm really looking forward to it.

7. Robin-Senpai Is The Best

☆~Fashion~☆
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I hope the ending is on a scale that no one will predict it to the standards that Oda would change it because of it.

Chill024 and Pacquiao8 like this.
  8. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Good. That's one thing I can't stand in Dragon Ball, the fact that death is never permanent. Hell, even in Yu Yu Hakusho
    when they brought Genkai back to life
    made it not as emotional.
    Same goes for Pell. He should've been dead to make his "sacrifice" actually meaningful.

9. Pacquiao8

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Agree with this. Pell and Perospero should've stayed dead.

10. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Perospero's is espcially bullshit because Pedro died but Perospero only lost an arm? And I really loved Pedro.. :(
    I mean, Oda can always bring him back in the future but I'd be quite upset, because again. It takes away from the emotion of sacrifices.

Brook is the only character I have no problem with coming back from the dead, because of his Devil Fruit.

Even going back to Dragon Ball, it wasn't even so bad because there were rules. You can't be wished back if it was a natural death, you can't be wished back more than once and I swear I read somewhere tht you can't be wished back after a year but someone said that I was incorrect. But anyways, now death is a friggin' joke and has been since the Namek Arc. Akira Toriyama is spitting in the face of the Grim Reaper in the form of his Manga :P

Pacquiao8 likes this.
  11. Pacquiao8

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I also like Pedro, I don't mind Carrot dying instead of him if I can swap their fate, but you know, it's done. I hope Pedro won't come back. On the bright side, I think Sicilian, Carrot and Wanda will take care of Perospero in the upcoming war.

12. Dreamer

I'm more like a stone than a snowflake
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Only three hours? That doesn't sounds healthy :worried:.

I must remember to not write threads about the ending of One Piece, just in case if I accidentally predict it correctly.

13. Pacquiao8

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Just try to guess. Who knows? Maybe Oda still has no ending in mind and is just bluffing.

14. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Thanks for sharing. I'll probably watch the video later, but the weirdest thing was:
    Damn...that sucks for his staff...They have to work a night shift just to accommodate to Oda. Sure it is probably one hell of a resume booster, but damn...I wouldn't do it.
    Good news (I don't pay enough attention to know the conversion to years but it may be different since we typically only get 10-11 chapters per volume now) followed by immediate bad news. At least Oda is more directly admitting to his damn pride (or whatever it is) that led to both WCI B.S. and the small tidbits of Wano Kuni B.S. Hopefully, Oda is only referring to the true climax of the series (rather than how the final wars [either Blackbeard or Government since both can be written to be on the same scale] come to conclusion). He can't be talking about the literal ending of all the miscellaneous epilogue/clean up contextual stuff for everyone's dreams since we all know how these play out already.

The Amazon Lily part is interesting...so Luffy is supposed to be depressed for an arc/multiple arcs?! I'm hella curious on how that plays out. Is he literally a functionally depressed individual for that time? Was he supposed to be blasted by Kuma while depressed? The Rayleigh part makes less sense that way...I'm hella curious. Can anyone think of alternative ideas? I'm completely baffled. Gonna start a separate thread actually...I'm at a lost since it makes the most sense with how it played out with what's written.

I 100% agree that Pell should have died contextually, but this is still when he was sticking to not having anyone die in the current time (people only died in flashbacks). It defies the logic, but that was one of the golden rules Oda was living by for the first 18ish years (Ace was the first and potentially may be the only major character until Jinbei sacrifices himself near the end of the series).

I'm going to agree that I have a hard time thinking the staff has the time to read foreign forums. Maybe WSJ is willing to pay for dedicated forum readers of Japanese forums, but even that seems a bit excessive (but not out of the realm of possibility with how much pull Oda has over them). If anything, English would be the next most likely candidate simply because English became a required subject when I was in school, so anyone my age is at least proficient enough in English to read if someone figures out the "real ending".

It already came up in the unofficial databooks, so technically Japanese readers are the most likely to be on the right track. Oda's really underestimating AND overestimating his abilities at the same time though...His writing style is such that there is only going to be one clear "climax" for the series as he continues to fill in the remaining ~20% of the series. It is physically impossible to not see the whole picture of a puzzle when only the last piece is missing (we are having a massive 25ish year puzzle, so even the last critical piece is still minuscule in the macro picture).

Unless he stops hinting at it, which is impossible since it is an integral part of major characters, the above situation plays true. His perfect writing will write himself into a corner. We all should be able to see it coming because he will connect all the dots to lead to one undeniable outcome.

Ugh...I'll just focus on the positive side. Speaking of which: @Pacquiao8 Oda 100% already has his ending in mind (he's so damn thorough that he would not leave his 5 year plan open ended). Just like the Amazon Lily aspect, the details (especially the number of characters, which ties to the flying fruit abilities thread) are up to change based on his mood. Once Oda is willing to sacrifice his previously universal law of rationale, that is when we will suffer as fans.

15. Pacquiao8

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Except if they are night owls, like I do.

Would be fun to see everyone in the crew die near the end with Luffy as the lone survivor. LOL.

Senpai, you shouldn't have taken what I said there seriously. :sweatsmile:

16. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

That first one here is a much easier sarcastic remark to pick up on, but I got ya!

Pacquiao8 likes this.
  17. PirateKing_D_Luffy

Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Oh! then we must stop coming up with good theories as he wd change the story to something else which cd nt be interesting.

Also he must be having some people as his source on most of the forums.

Like someone who knows Japanese on this forum :duckuin:playing secret agent ??

18. Robin-Senpai Is The Best

☆~Fashion~☆
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

@Seiryu Keeping my eyes on you...

Seiryu likes this.
  19. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I'll add one more information that i believe is very important. Oda said in the TV Program:

" I know how the story ends, but i still don't know how to get there. "

20. mysticalflute

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Oh boy.