1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Oda and the chinese Zodiac signs

Discussion in 'One Piece Theories' started by Admiral Ryokugyu, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Hi everyone

Oda uses the Chinese zodiac signs in order to choose the Admirals and Vice Admirals of the Navy. Here's the Chinese zodiac signs disc:

d399ceda2120452d80463134.jpg

Let's start from the Rabbit.

Rabbit: Momousagi (Pink Rabbit, a Vice Admiral)
    Tiger: Fujitora (Purple Tiger)
    Ox: Ryokugyu (Green Bull)
    Rat:
    Pig:
    Tokikaki (Brown Pig, a Vice Admiral)
    Dog: Akainu (Red Dog)
    Rooster: Aokiji (Blue Pheasant)
    Monkey: Kizaru (Yellow Monkey)
    Goat: Sengoku (Golden Goat) you never knew this right ? XD i'll explain it right after
    Horse:
    Snake: Shirohebi (White Snake)
    Dragon: Monkey D. Dragon (let's suppose he was a Vice Admiral or an Admiral at some time before)

Now you probably have these questions in your mind :
    1- How did I know that Sengoku is called the Golden Goat ?
    2- Who the hell is Shirohebi ?

Answers:

1- Do you remember an animal that always appeared near Sengoku ?

Sengoku.png

It's his goat.
    What is the color of Sengoku's ability ? It's gold. (golden buddha)
    In Buddhist Temples, It's common to find statues of golden goats. Moreover, there is a famous art in the Pagan Museum, which illustrates Buddha in earth-touching gesture and on the pedestal below him was a herd of goats.

So I'm pretty confident that when Sengoku was an Admiral, his alias was the Golden Goat. Moreover, Sengoku's strange beard might be a reference to goat's beard.

2- Now who the hell is Shirohebi ? Easy. It's Smoker.
    When Smoker becomes an Admiral, his alias will be the White Snake. I'll explain why.

Oda used very smart word play in this. Smoker is a heavy smoker. When we read it in japanese, it's Hebi Smoker, because V is pronounced B in japanese. So it's Hebi Smoker. Hebi is " snake " in japanese.

Look at this cover page:

7861a865c2ff25c67fb41c55f7ce6e35.jpg

I don't need to explain I think you understood why I showed you this cover page.

One more thing. Smoke had an attack he used against Luffy. It's called Smoke Snake.

One more thing XD, the color of Smoker's powers is white, and he's nicknamed the White Hunter.

So I believe Smoker's alias will be White Snake.

As for Dragon, I said let's just suppose he was a Marine back then because there are a lot of theories about Dragon being an Ex Marine, so there's no need to talk about that, It's not what this theory is about. I just need characters who match up with the chinese Zodiac animals. In the times that Dragon appeared, we saw him manipulating the weather. Dragons in chinese mythology are also called East Asian Dragons ( Dragon is from East Blue ), and Dragons in chinese mythology are mainly known for their ability to manipulate the weather, creating storms, clouds, rain ...

Now, we have two animals left: the horse and the rat. Think about it. Is this a coincidence that two animals are left, and there are exactly two characters who dream of becoming Admirals ? In chinese mythology, there is competitiveness between the Horse zodiac sign and the Rat zodiac sign.

Take a second look at the Zodiac disc above. The Rat is placed exactly in the opposite side of the Horse. These two, I believe, represent these two guys:

maxresdefault (1).jpg
    Coby and Helmeppo.

They were always challenging each other. There had always been competitiveness between them.

I believe Helmeppo is the one represented by the Horse. Look at this guy's face:
    48661.jpg

Helmeppo has a long face he resembles a horse XD
    The thing he wears around his eyes reminds me of the horse's eye patch :

rULDKZO0.jpeg

As for Coby, I'm sure that his Rat reference will be justified by his abilities in the future ( the Devil Fruit he'll eat for example )

That's it guys. I hope this didn't waste your time.

Thank you for reading !

2. Three-sword chef

Expand Collapse

Really loved your in-depth explanation of the names and corresponding animals. Thanks for the info.

3. Tony

The Lurking Legend
    Haoshoku Haki YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

#3 Tony, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    You're close but not completely right (imo). The zodiacs are being used for Admiral (Candidates) Aokiji, Kizaru, Akainu, Fujitora and Ryokugyu fit the theme as (former) Admirals, Tokikake was a candidate and Momousagi was created and suggested as Admiral by a fan (Oda liked the.idea but didn't go on with it). There is no need to include Vice-Admirals within your theory because the Admirals already make up for it.

Following this you could indeed predict future Admiral (Candidates). Smoker as the possible snake. Though horse and rat are very far-fetched and only created to fit your theory. Sengoku's epithet is "The Buddha". Dragon as the Dragon well... let's just wait and see.

Some stuff in your "theory" is too forced to fit your theory that it can't be taken serious, like the Heavy Smoker thing and your explanation for Coby and Helmeppo.

4. Polybotes

Weaklings can't pick their way of death.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Yepp, yepp, yepp! It all connects :D

Attached Files:

Admiral Ryokugyu likes this.
  5. Chaudfontaine

Chaudius Caesar
    Moderator Member of the Year 2017 YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

If coby and helprut would fit in this horse and rat zodiac thing, i would switch them up. Coby as the hard worker and helprut as the "survivor".

Admiral Ryokugyu likes this.