1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

[OFFICIAL] One Piece Chapter 942: "The Daimyou of Hakumai, Shimotsuki Yasuie"

Discussion in 'Past Chapters' started by Seiryu, May 10, 2019.

1. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

#1 Seiryu, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Villaine likes this.
  2. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Wow...that was a powerful chapter...I'm super curious for the raw to come out next week to try to break down the updated plan Yasu put together. So if we take him at his word, his main objectives were to create a new code/signal, take the blame for the "fake" rebellion, and to also take responsibility for the witching hour boy (I think he's lying here since selling Toko can't be enough to feed everyone for 20 years).

Oden being a weakling despite being a full-fledged adult is quite surprising. I'm really curious about his outfit. There appears to be a weird obi (what ties a kimono closed). It's weird because based on the frilly/bow aspect, it's more for women. Either way, both the port aspect and Yasu being Oden's guardian/mentor is really important stuff that will come up again in the future.

Thing that caught my eye the most: the giant "fire" chickens Inuarashi and someone else was riding. Not important at all, but more fire themes and a weird/unique animal design. They successfully stopped Ashura and even got him to patiently listen to Yasu's coded message (very surprising).

Toko is hella fast. Zoro didn't carry her based on her appearance before Zoro/Hiyori/Brooke (didn't see him in the scan).

All things considered, Yasu was definitely worthy of being the shogun if he was able to figure out all of this in the limited time since he left the group meeting. So now I'm curious on how fast/slow the pacing will get. We know the "war" starts in 7ish days. Will this completely match Yasu's code? There is no way the Mugiwara powerhouses stay obedient for that long.

I'm most curious about Oda messing up on the timing of Big Mom. Panels never change time unless the narrator says so. Even with the weird croc thing tired, there is no way that is the exact time when he has the filler panels of Big Mom. I guess it is possible if the croc is only walking since chapter 941. I'll probably take a closer look since I think there might have been sound effects on the few Big Mom panels.

3. Juggy

Expand Collapse

Helluva powerful chapter. Mad respect for Yasu. His speech is going to have a great impact. Chin up people of Wano, some sacrifice has to be made, but the rebellion is certain. Viva la revolución!

4. bandurista24

Fifth Emperor
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

ONE THING I CAN SAY..

THIS CHAPTER IS TOO DARK AND TOO SAD...

#RESPECTFORYASU
    #SALUTEDEFAMILIA

5. strpnts

Expand Collapse

I like him dead anyway. Very good chapter!

6. Dreamer

I'm more like a stone than a snowflake
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

• The flashback was interesting. We got to see what kind of relationship Yasu and Oden had
    • Goodness! Yasu was much smarter than I could had believe, score one and respect for him
    • So, smiles of Ebisu Town's people aren't practiced but instead they have something to do with Smile fruits? Didn't see that coming :coldsweat:

7. ckimbrew

Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Agreed. Very pivotal chapter. A uniting death. Even some of Orochi’s guards were beginning to question their purpose and the pettiness of jealousy of Orochi.

8. Marco Polo

#TeamZornji
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

Okay so the SMILEs rob people of their emotions? That’s an interesting side effect, and one I didn’t expect

I still find it incredible that Oda can get us to invest in characters that are around for such a brief moment - this execution hits emotionally when it has absolutely no right to. There are countless side characters who have this impact throughout the series too - Bell’mere, Saul, and more recently guys like Señor Pink and Pound all get memorable moments in big arcs.

Also

Zoro’s got a girlfriend

9. Robin-Senpai Is The Best

☆~Fashion~☆
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Jesus that was sad. Poor Otoko can't even properly cry for her dead father.

10. Chaudfontaine

Chaudius Caesar
    Moderator Member of the Year 2017 YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

It's indeed very very interessting. I like the balance. If you wanna give someone something, you gotta take it from someone. That simplfies a lotttt of stuff in terms of devil fruit technology.

11. BlindWolf

Expand Collapse

I expect Wano people to all sing "Bella Ciao" at the end of the Arc!

12. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I thought I didn't care about Tonoyasu, but this chapter made me feel the complete opposite. This chapter was pure art, magnificent storytelling. I got chills countless times while i was reading it.

So Tonoyasu isn't really the Witching Hour Boy. Lol it looks like Oda read my flaw thread ( @Seiryu @Pacquiao8 )

10/10 chapter

13. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

What a great chapter. Really hits the feels.
    I'm literally tearing up right now.

14. mysticalflute

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Okay, wow. This was a gut punch, and we haven't even known Yasu that long.

What really hit me was Toko's reaction. I really thought maybe this would be the thing that totally breaks her, and stops her from smiling, but damn, what Hiyori said about the SMILE fruits threw me totally for a loop.

15. Trafalgar D. Mortyllien

Expand Collapse

Wow haven't Seen Zoro this pissed in ages. Yasu is the MVP. RIP

16. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I 100% agree, which is amazing considering how little air time Yasu has had (so gotta agree with @marco). However, like in any passing, celebrating the joy and changes the individual brought about it what's important. Considering he allowed the plan to be back on track (in addition to getting more allies/followers among the commoners AND Orochi-sided samurai), Oda really planned this out. It is back to a "blank canvas" that almost all of the chaos he was building up is now all clear again. The only chaos right now is Luffy/Big Mom defeating Queen and releasing the 10K allies. Speaking of which, there is no way you can hide 10K people for 7ish days. How Oda handles all of this (especially the current lack of shiruko) is going to determine how fast the pacing goes.
    Yup, this definitely seems like something Oda had planned from the introduction of SMILE. Usually this sort of multilayered stuff is for puns, but damn...that was a perfect way to end the chapter.
    The revolution/increased allies from the Orochi side is a huge plot point. We needed 5K samurai allies to negate the 5K Orochi samurai/Pleasures. We now have 10K prisoners, the original 5K samurai loyalists, plus potentially ~5K Orochi-samurai, PLUS regular citizens. What are all of these people going to do? None of them can come close to even a Headliner level. Even if someone can magically teleport all of Big Mom's crew to Wano Kuni, the alliance has too many people now. Unless Oda's plan is for the numbers to negate the mid-level fighters (Gifters and remaining Orochi-samurai) with no shown casualties.We only have more questions, but that's what happens when Oda's on his game. We progress the plot but new questions take its place.
    I'm certain it is only a play on words. None of the people in Ebisu have direct contact with SMILE (most if not all would die from the by-product poisoning). Per the above on being the perfect ending to the chapter, it is just a means of deepening the despair the citizens are undergoing from Kaidou/Orochi.
    Haha...I think Oda is having Yasu purposefully tell a lie. He has to try to confuse the Oniwaban. Oda specifically shows them all not reacting at all to anything Yasu says...except when he "lies" about not being the Witching Hour Boy. I think it was the leader that comments on the weird hour, and this is exactly the point. If Yasu only tells the truth, they are smart enough to figure out the code. If they are distracted with everything seemingly conflicting, the plan stays safe. Oda really thought all of this through, and things are FINALLY back to normal (even with plot progression, there should still be valid questions on key plot points). Even if it is only for parts of the arc, all the breadcrumbs are fitting perfectly again.

But back on the Witching Hour Boy, all context still implies Yasu did it. How else does he fund feeding an entire town alone? We have confirmation that he was a legitimate New World powerhouse. Him starving the most explains his overall weakening (Rayleigh has all the luxuries in the world so thus the slight drop off). Ah, he must have had wealth from being a daimyou. This lasted until Toko's birth. He then sold Toko and was forced to start stealing.
    Yup. He's one of the few people Zoro has befriended quickly. This doesn't reflect Zoro really (he just doesn't like most people), but it does reflect Yasu's character. We probably don't get to see more of it (hopefully there is at least one more Yasu/Oden flashback though).

17. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Expand Collapse

I’m not as bought into Yasu’s character as some of you seem to be but I still think it was a good chapter and good moment for Oda. The series could use some more harsh and definite moments like this one. No off-screaning, no implied death, no ambiguous death. Straight up realistic moments. Don’t talk about how evil of a ruler someone is... show us!

Proud of Yasu and what he pulled off by taking this fall. The rebellion against Oden’s section should be relatively easy. Bringing down Kaidou is still the biggest issue they’re facing; to state the painfully obvious. Feels like it’s going to have to be all present Supernova + Big Mom + Big Mom’s crew + all alliance members + straw hats including Jinbe + Nekomamushi and whomever he might bring.

ckimbrew likes this.
  18. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Woah...I'm super curious about this. I have to assume the rationale/beliefs do not match how this reads, so I'll ask for expansion/clarification first.
    This is both Oda's own choosing (death of a dream >>> physical death) as well as cultural/work limitations ("excessive censorship"). If we have deaths all over the place (random Charlotte son), it literally belittles the other deaths. I.E. because deaths are saved/held to such an unbelievable level, it exaggerates the impact. This is exactly why people are "overreacting" to Yasu's death. It's all masterful writing by Oda.

I will 100% agree that it is perfect timing that there are cultural shifts and WSJ has gory series. Context implies deaths during 2-3/4 of the Yonkou wars. However, it is terrible writing by Oda to have meaningless deaths.

ckimbrew and Zeek like this.
  19. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Expand Collapse

To your first part, I’m just not emotionally bought into his character. I sympathize with him (understand his sacrifice and pain) but I don’t empathize with him (I don’t feel it on an emotional level. Likely, it’s because we simply haven’t known him long enough to be attached. If someone like Chopper died I would physically cry as if it were my own sibling, or nakama if you will. However, with someone like Yasu it’s more like an uncle I never met died tragically; it sucks but I likely won’t think much of it moving forward. Still an awesome moment and he died like a “G” but I’m not too broken up about it.

To your second point, I agree with you on almost all fronts. For me, it’s stuff like Pell I want to move away from. The stuff with Pedro and Pound was well done as well. For me these deaths provide a sense of danger and seriousness to the situation. We’re not dicking around with Foxxy anymore we have real stakes and our heroes could legitimately be put to death. This is why so many people love shows like The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones. The feeling that somewhat like able and important figures can die adds a sense of “stress” that is exciting. Tension.

Liked the chapter, but I’ll probably forget Yasu’s name by this time next year.

Seiryu likes this.
  20. Pacquiao8

8th Commander of the Straw Hat Grand Fleet
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

My only take this chapter: Yasu! :sob::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::sob: