1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

[OFFICIAL] One Piece Chapter 942: "The Daimyou of Hakumai, Shimotsuki Yasuie"

Discussion in 'Past Chapters' started by Seiryu, May 10, 2019.

1. Kia

Kia
    All about amare, anima, and anime.
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

#21 Kia, May 12, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
    This chapter though. That’s why One Piece is so fantastic. It can do this: give excellent story advancement, fill in background, tug at heartstrings and simultaneously drop tidbits that leave us pondering major ramifications. All the while it was slipping in nuances that will require several passes usually to take in. Why is Hitori unaffected by SMILE? Does she have a different DF? Just one amongst many questions. But alas, the poignancy and power of this chapter made it worth the wait, methinks.

Edit: I forgot to say this part. I thought when I read the chapter and honestly haven’t gone through the thread to see if anyone else brought this up but to me the Shogun’s son and the Admiral bear a resemblance to one another. Also, does the fact that the names were food have anything to do with him choosing not to eat now? I mean, stranger connections have been made. Or am I wrong about sukiyaki and oden being food? 56CD643B-A91C-491C-BD83-06463283157E.jpeg C7C60555-904D-4B2A-A3D7-D15167196505.jpeg

2. GoldenVenus

I shall rise
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

This was quite a good chapter. Yasu's scene would be sadder when it gets animated and then the sad music playing. The speech was pretty touching, I think that's what makes the whole scene sad. "Upon the man whose mind has swollen shut, a lifetime of 'Oden' to fill your gut!' Damn, those words are stuck in my head. Though, I didn't really expect about the SMILE part. Is that an effect of a failed experiment?

He doesn't seem like a weakling to me. More like extremely carefree, and especially since he's more interested in going out to the sea. And his outfit caught my eyes too, but I don't think that's the obi, it's too big to be the obi, and not even tied to his waist. It definitely looks a little weird lol.

Zoro the ladies magnet.

Yeah, agreed. As soon as Yasu mentioned about him not being the real Witching Hour Boy, it's all they're focused on. It seems more like a distraction to me.

While there's a slight resemblance, I can't exactly see any connection between them at the moment. I'm hoping not, unless there's a reaaaally good reason. And btw, sukiyaki and oden are indeed Japanese food.

3. mysticalflute

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

4. Deathbloke

voi-bloody-la
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Isn't Shimotsuki the name of Zoro's village and where his dojo is?

BlindWolf, Seiryu and ckimbrew like this.
  5. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

Yup. And Yasui’s last name. Nice catch. ^_^

I figured that he might’ve been so disaffected that he left Wano and wandered, then ended up getting drafted by the Marines at the same time as Issho and is working his own angle to get back at Kaido or do whatever for the people of Wano. Or he could be the typical black sheep/prodigal son character that we see who needs to be reformed in some manner. The personality types seemed to match in that lackadaisical manner that they had. It could just be me. ^_^

6. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Yasu having a group of two sword using samurai seems to be leading to the fact the Orochi is a traitor who used to be on Oden’s side. Think like Blackbeard while he was on Whitebeard’s crew.

GoldenVenus likes this.
  7. Deathbloke

voi-bloody-la
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Zoro's backstory coming up confirmed, bitchezzz

8. Mo3MaR

Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

When things got literally understood , SMILE fruits take away their smile cos they will never stood a chance against Beast Pirates. . . So instead of letting themselves died on despair (couldn't free themselves from clutches of Pirates cos they got strong forces + devastated biodiversity) , they taught themselves to laugh to make their suffering ease even a little bit. .

9. Mo3MaR

Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Poor country and destroyed ecosystem is two different matters. . Since they got no other way to ease their suffering, all they did is to laugh. . Like Yasu mentioned to Zoro before

10. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Ah, good thing I asked. I 100% agree on the first part (why I'm biased against the idea of using a death when it only affects the current arc). But at the same time, it does contradict the rationality of Yonkou wars/how outmatched Luffy is (for now). I also 100% agree on the second part. It is something Oda had to eventually break away from considering the daunting task of taking on a Yonkou. It might not be that prevalent though. I can't imagine anyone dying when they fight Shanks. It it going to return during the final war, but even that might only be a few people (maybe only Jinbei) despite the entire world essentially being at war.

I'm terrible with names, so I forget most people's names other than the people that keep coming up. I would assume you are the same way in that you will remember what they did/the role in the plot though.
    Ah, I didn't catch the silhouette similarities. Hard to imagine Oden is the only one that isn't Japanese in appearance (considering Momo is). Oden definitely has the exact same nose and curve to his upper lip (hair appears similar by shape too). Ryokugyu with the green color and not eating has to have some sort of plant related fruit ability (photosynthesis).

I am just going to take everyone at their word (even Kaidou/Orochi). There are too many people that saw Oden die (he died before the fire based on what I'm remembering on Momo's flashbacks => he sees Kaidou in his dragon form/partial dragon form kill Oden and then set fire to the castle).
    Yasu is calling him a weakling. This doesn't appear to be a comedic damage (like Nami damaging Luffy). As for the obi, high ranking/prestigious women wear HUGE obi to be tied in a bow behind them. That's what it looks like to me. It matches the area where these 1 foot wide obi are tied.
    Thanks for the link!

@Kia @GoldenVenus I'm very confident the ending of the chapter is nothing more than a play on words. I'm just summarizing the key points from the previous post but none of the Ebisu residents would survive the toxic waste. There is not physical contact with anything related to SMILE by them. Plus, if this is the case, other towns would have the same trait. Oda told us that only Ebisu residents do this.

GoldenVenus likes this.
  11. GoldenVenus

I shall rise
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Wait did he literally call him a weakling? Cos I don't remember that, he was simply referring to him as a fool/ruffian or something like that, from what I remember. I'm picturing him as someone with zero care and too lazy to get stronger, cos he has no purpose. At first, anyway. Meeting Roger might've changed his mind, or something. But it's still a possibility that young Oden might actually be a weakling at first like you said.

12. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

I’m not entirely convinced that the leftovers they’ve been ingesting don’t include scraps and waste from SMILEs themselves that weren’t completely ingested or were left to rot and contaminated the water somehow. They’re closer to the Flower Capital than any other town thus more susceptible, in my opinion. After all, their main production is done elsewhere, right? That’s the whole point of the operations on Punk Hazard and Dressrosa. To get rid of SAD and the SMILE operation. upload_2019-5-13_16-50-10.png

GoldenVenus likes this.
  13. GoldenVenus

I shall rise
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Since Oda likes wordplay, that might be case too. This can be a little confusing, because If it's a side effect, robbing people off their emotions (but still can laugh) seems like a weird effect of the SMILE. Unless there's a good explanation for it. It could be just a defense mechanism like @Mo3MaR said, they subconsciously rid of their emotions and learn only to laugh to forget the despair.

But then again, if that's the case, Hiyori specifically emphasized "It's all because of what Kaidou and Orochi brought to this country, the fruit known as SMILE." She could just say something like it's because of what Kaido and Orochi have done to the country in general, but she specifically mentioned SMILE, which led me to think there might be some actual connection with the fruits, or something. Well, hopefully the next chapter will explain it right away.

14. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

Exactly. My initial thought was the obvious psychological response until Hiyori’s statement. Why specifically say that? As @Seiryu loves to state, Oda gives us breadcrumbs to follow and that’s pretty fricking blatant after all the other clues regarding leftovers, scraps, rotten food, the name of their town meaning smile (after the god of fortune so named for his smile) etc. It seems like we’re finally supposed to be connecting the dots. Or it could be a red herring. Who knows? ^_^

15. GoldenVenus

I shall rise
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

I don't remember every single thing from the start of the story, but Oda doesn't seem to be using a lot of red herrings (please remind me if there are any cos I don't remember much). His style is more like leaving hints here and there and then letting readers connect everything, like both you and Seiryu said.

Kia likes this.
  16. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Pretty much (for how roundabout Japanese is, and especially to a superior). He tells Oden that he can "worry about going out to sea when he becomes" a legitimate samurai. If he can't even defend himself, he is going to die and kill off the royal bloodline. Contextually, it is Rayleigh that forces him to learn how to fight (Roger is too laid back).
    The SMILE/rare metal weapons are produced across the country (why we had a production plant in the background of every panel initially). Based on how much labor it takes to make SMILE (Tontatta are WAY stronger than a normal human), context implies most if not all of these are SMILE (and maybe only the prisoner mines are the rare alloy).

Even a little bit of water almost killed the little girl with Chopper. Everyone doesn't have access to medicine. If all of their food was poisoned, then that means the people of the capitol are eating poisoned food too. Every single town excluding the capitol is a "town of leftovers" because they only get the leftovers that the capitol throws away.

Only warriors have been shown to be able to survive eating poisoned food (primarily poisoned fish). But that completely matches up with the advanced physical capabilities (don't forget even Usopp has never gotten sick in his life). Even their immune systems are just operating at a higher level compared to all other citizens. The little girl may become a legit kunoichi, but she needed medicine to survive. There is no way commoners are surviving. It is only a play on words. However, it is obviously highly impactful and a perfect way to end the chapter. We've had terrible cliffhangers recently, so this is probably why it stands out more because it is surrounded by crap.
    SMILE is the wordplay. Since all the other towns only get the leftovers from the capitol, that means the people of the capitol have to exhibit the same symptoms. It is nothing more than just a "bad translation" implying too direct of a connection between SMILE and Ebisu's distinguishing town characteristic.
    So hopefully the immediately above part on a "bad translation" helps clear up all of this. I pointed out the breadcrumbs more clearly at the top of the post.

Taking things to a greater than intended extent is where it becomes impossible for Oda to live up to expectations (we realistically should never see Roger fight seriously because it is impossible to meet everyone's expectations on how beastly he becomes when his nakama are in danger). It literally may never come up again (until the end of the arc when they all legitimately can smile). I 100% agree on the extent/impact. The key is that it essentially ends with chapter 942. Oda spent 250-350 chapters since the introduction of SMILE for this single word play. I'm not downplaying the impact, I'm just trying to say don't build extra expectations Oda cannot fulfill (all of the context on how food is produced in Wano Kuni).

17. TonzChopper

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

A fortuneteller told me that Oda-sensei wrote one piece in reverse

Kidding aside..

Maybe SMILE is the price to pay to gain SMILE fruits. It all makes sense as creating a devil fruit without a consequence is far too imbalanced

18. Judgement

Onii-chan of OPF
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

First time in a long time One Piece has hit the right feels again. I hope you everything ties together beautifully in the end!

Seiryu and Dreamer like this.
  19. Dreamer

I'm more like a stone than a snowflake
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Actually I think that Usopp lied about this. He said in the chapter 46 that he got a food poisoning after he ate a poisonous mushroom when he was younger.

20. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Eiichiro Oda's comment after Chapter 942:

" I went on a one-day trip to Kumamoto for the Tokyo Girls Collection event. Thank you for having me ! "