1. OPF's 2nd One Piece Character Popularity Poll has arrived! Vote NOW!
  2. Participate in the OPForum's Secret Santa HERE!
  3. We have a NEW subforum for Dr. Stone! Check it out!
  4. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!
  5. As a final farewell gift to our beloved creator, we're planning to make a "thank you" video. If you'd like to be involved, you can read more here.
  6. Vote now for the Monthly PAW October 2019!

[OFFICIAL] One Piece Chapter 948: Entrance of "Kawamatsu the Kappa"

Discussion in 'Past Chapters' started by Seiryu, Jul 5, 2019.

?

kiku a dude, yo!

1. called it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. didn’t see it coming

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  3. i must now re-evaluate my sexuality

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

#1 Seiryu, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  2. mysticalflute

Navigator
    Expand Collapse

So glad that we finally got a Kawamatsu reveal, and that the prisoners now know the truth.

So, SO disappointed that Kiku is a guy. Beyond disappointed, honestly. Can we please have a badass female warrior, please?!

Good chapter otherwise since big mom isn't there to drag it down. Chopper was right when he essentially says said fuck her.

3. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Oh man, I thought the war was going back to potential chaos, but it's only Bege escaping on the cover page...thank goodness.

I'll get the negativity out first, but this felt like a weak chapter, and especially for a break...Oda's having worse and worse cliffhangers and this has to be a side effect of changing the plot. But at least he appears to be getting things back on track, so I am happy even if we get a record number of breaks this year (we've had a bunch already and just had one a few chapters ago).

Queen just got a whole lot more intriguing. I thought it was going to be a Caesar creation (similar to his weapons for sure), but Queen having the brains to experiment and create his own biological weapons is something I never would have guessed. Luffy is automatically fine since Magellan's poison is the worst in the world already (unless Vegapunk creates something). Everyone could get in trouble because it is highly contagious and the prisoners cannot avoid the bullets. And all of this stems from the new Queen twist (it now makes perfect sense why Queen can readily delegate keeping the entire prison in check).

Kawamatsu looks like a poor attempt to make a kappa cute...but whatever. I'm happy it's a unique take on a kappa design by Oda. I wasn't a fan of the attempted humor of 13 years of an upset stomach coming out. Him getting it all over some of the jailers, that I would have laughed at (anime update hopefully). I am surprised at the Yokozuna twist. At least we get to see the Scabbard with logically the strongest strength in action (easy blowing away opponents). His style is a perfect fit and seems interesting (mix of "kappa style" and sumo).

Something I've been keeping track of but didn't mention (I don't think at least since most chapters still had a bunch of content to discuss) is that Kaidou has his Gifters numbered. I think the highest number I saw was a 200-something. Oda only added this recently, but I'm curious if anyone saw a higher number tattoo (no need to keep track of Pleasures or Waiters).

The weird twist is Kiku being a guy. This is a pretty common stereotype, but I guess Oda has plans for comedic relief in the future. I'm a little surprised no one reacted to Chopper transforming (go to running gag).
    Ah, that's a great point...we only have powerhouse females in the Oniwaban now (I don't think they all can be guys). It will be highly disappointing if the only "legit" kunoichi or female samurai is Shinobu in her younger days. She's been forced into comedic relief since Oda gave her a truly overpowered fruit ability.

4. Chill024

Helmsman
    Expand Collapse

Awww Kiku wanted to save poor O-Lin, cant wait to see her reaction when she knows O-Lin’s can go toe to toe with kaido.

Shiiit, it’s a TRAP!!!

Btw that hyogoro speech on revealing their identities to risen up their hopes is beautiful!

Seiryu likes this.
  5. sweetjacky

Doggie Mom
    Administrator Member of the Season
    Expand Collapse

I don't comment much in chapter threads but I wanted to come here to say that I REALLY enjoyed this chapter!!

Finally Kawamatsu was revealed! At first I was like "hmmm okay, I expected him to look a bit more badass" but after a few panels he proved me wrong and showed me that he's still badass even with that cute face xD Love him so far, I wonder how much he can do right now after being imprisoned with no proper food for 13 years. I'm guessing he is some kind of Fishman?

I'm also fine with the Kiku reveal. I don't really mind that she's a man, it doesn't change the character for me so Kiku stays as one of my favourite wano characters. The mask is amazing! I mean, yeah it's a bit disappointing that Oda stole us a chance for a beautiful strong female character but by now I'm used to that anyway. But I found it funny when that one prisoner said "who is that huge woman?" as of that's something special in One Piece :tearsofjoy:

And I'm glad we finally get a new cover story *thumbs up*

PS: This panel is just soooo badass! (Glad that Chopper is in the back where you can't see him)
    20190705_091110.png

Juggy likes this.
  6. Johannes

The End of the Beginning
    First Mate
    Expand Collapse

Kawamatsu is a Samurai/Sumo Wrestler (Nevertheless a Yokozuna - Highest Rank in Sumo).

Guess my previous theory got debunk with Kiku's gender revelation! :grin: He got that cool oni mask...

7. Juggy

Helmsman
    Expand Collapse

I was going to say "bald chapter", but after all we got to see 2 revelation. I already expressed my shock and disappointment at spoilers thread, but lets do it again - Kiku is a guy:screamcat::screamcat::screamcat:. It is interesting that Oda gave us some hints and foreshadowed that Kiku will be a male character. There's and explanation at the end of a chapter. All of us, failed to see that.

Regarding Kawamatsu look, at first I was disappointing as well. He looked just like sparrow to me :D, but then I remembered that he should represent Kappa and yes there's a resemblance to a certain extent. As @Seiryu sensei said, Oda tried to make him cute and I don't have a problem with that. After all, majority of characters are goofy in some kind of way. There are very few to look sinister like Kappa from Japanese folkore should look like. His action panels were flawless!

@sweetjacky Awesome avatar :cool:

Seiryu and sweetjacky like this.
  8. Dreamer

I'm more like a stone than snowflake
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

• First I thought that we are going to have a cover page story about Big Mom pirates but then I noticed that it was actually Fire Tank pirates, nice
    • I feel sorry for prisoners who had lost their hope
    • I imgined that Kawamatsu would be more rough looking but it's okay
    • Kiku is a guy? Didn't see that coming. I wonder if he has ever be a kabuki actor? His mask is pretty cool, by the way
    • The big picture in the end where Luffy and his allies were standing together is so cool :)
    • Don't ignore Chopper :sweatsmile:... He isn't "just a pet"

9. Robin-Senpai Is The Best

Double Keeper ~ White & Black Twin Birds
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

-Huh, looks like all those memes about Kiku were right. Sanji isn't gonna be too happy. That is an awesome mask.

GoldenVenus, Chill024 and Dreamer like this.
  10. Pacquiao8

62-7-2 (39 KO)
    Supernova
    Expand Collapse

My shortcut take:
    • The title of the chapter, the character design, Zoro-Sanji-Jinbe-esque fight style, all leads to me (and a few of my friends) being convinced that Kawamatsu will eventually join the Straw Hats instead of the likes of Kin'emon or Raizo.
      • Title of the chapter has similar style with the early chapter titles involving a potential recruit.
      • Face is quite similar to the one from the original design of the Pre-TS crew:
    [​IMG]
      • A swordsman (I know the crew already have 2) and a martial artist (I know the crew have lots of 'em) at the same time. But with incredible power (can use Haki) and susceptible to comic relief.
    • Quite disappointed that Kiku is a guy (okama). Perhaps because I would like to see a badass female samurai.
    • Also disappointed with the last panel. Chopper was hidden. :rage: Bad Oda. I hope the anime will fix that mess.

Seiryu, Juggy and ckimbrew like this.
  11. Dreamer

I'm more like a stone than snowflake
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

Neither Urashima (that sumo guy earlier) if he still has crush on Kiku.

GoldenVenus and Seiryu like this.
  12. Marco Polo

monkey d. goth girl
    Administrator Member of the Year 2018
    Expand Collapse

kiku a pretty dude, yo

13. Jawahib

Both Exotic and Professor
    First Mate
    Expand Collapse

You realise the existence of Ivankov and her powers makes this complaint fairly null and void? He just need to poke Kiku and he will become a woman both at heart and at flesh :P . Of course this topic is tainted with a thick political brush, but personally I loved the way Oda handled Iva, because it means that gender/sex/whatever means next to nothing in the OP world. If he wants he can bring Iva into the picture and make any concerns like this go away.

Before I get into any hotter water here, I will say that this chapter was NOICE. I like Kawamatsu, I thought the Kiku gag was kinda weird but meh cos he has a HECTIC mask. The story of all the prisoners was nice to see, and it's always heartwarming to see that our good guys would take a risk like that just so these people could have some hope in their lives again. That said, I find it to be an interesting reversal of roles where Luffy is the one being told to abandon the plan in favour of what is right. Usually he's the one abandoning everything to chase after justice, but here he's getting told to stop letting these people live in despair for the sake of some plan.
    Tells us a lot about how Luffy has changed and how seriously he's taking the threat with Kaido. Compare that to his attitude of hunting down Doflamingo or even rescuing Sanji.
    You could argue he doesn't have a dog in the fight like in the other arcs, but he typically doesn't take well to callousness and cruelty, and I honestly can't think of any other scenario where he's forgone his own desire to help out in favour of someone else's plan. Then again, it's 1am and I'm on the edge of sleep...

GoldenVenus, Seiryu and Chaudfontaine like this.
  14. NoxDRaz

Helmsman
    Expand Collapse

15. ckimbrew

Navigator
    Expand Collapse

Not bad, just seems weak after all of the action we had. Time for some more story and character building. The break sucks, but it is what it is.

Now, hopefully, Luffy is able to convince everyone to stay out of the way of his training. I wouldn’t mind Kawamatsu getting some more warm-up in though. Luffy’s determines to get this haki mastered, and he desperately needs it. So, it would be pretty cool to see him command everyone to give him time and not to waste the lives of the enemies.

As for Okiku, now I’m reminded of the man/lady swordsman/gunslinger in Whitebeard’s crew. Wonder if they’re related somehow. Even if it’s just that Whitebeard’s member was from Wano.

16. Marco Polo

monkey d. goth girl
    Administrator Member of the Year 2018
    Expand Collapse

poll added!

17. sweetjacky

Doggie Mom
    Administrator Member of the Season
    Expand Collapse

But Kiku is still a woman at heart <3

Marco Polo likes this.
  18. F.E.A.R.

Primordial Truth
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

I'm srsly disappointed that he's a guy. This reminds me of Haku from Naruto. I was really expecting a strong female samurai.

mysticalflute likes this.
  19. Edinbour

The Red King
    Yonko
    Expand Collapse

Excellent chapter!!

20. mysticalflute

Navigator
    Expand Collapse

Iva's not there so that point is moot.

I wouldn't be so disappointed if we didn't have ZERO badass female warriors in this freaking arc. Women have had shit representation in this series since the time skip. I know this is a East vs West thing but... it's disappointing.