1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

[OFFICIAL] One Piece Chapter 948: Entrance of "Kawamatsu the Kappa"

Discussion in 'Past Chapters' started by Seiryu, Jul 5, 2019.

?

kiku a dude, yo!

1. called it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. didn’t see it coming

9 vote(s)
    75.0%
  3. i must now re-evaluate my sexuality

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. ckimbrew

Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

@Pacquiao8 I like that! Luffy definitely seems interested in the Kappa. He said it twice and the second time, he’s completely focused on him instead of the upcoming battle.

2. Deathbloke

voi-bloody-la
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Now I think the only ones that we haven't seen yet are Denjiro and Ushimitsu Kozo. And Oden, of course. I don't know why, but I'm getting the feeling that the reason we still haven't seen Denjiro is a possible connection to Zoro.

3. Pacquiao8

8th Commander of the Straw Hat Grand Fleet
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Plus there will be a sumo playmate in the ship.

They might be the same guy.

Aside from that, there are others yet to appear or join the groups:
    • Jinbe (plus possible additional reinforcements)
    • Master Nekomamushi and his group (plus possible additional reinforcements)
    • Jibuemon's group
    • Apoo's group
    • Scotch's group

4. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

- We're finally back to cover stories !

- Queen loves creating mechanical weapons and infectious diseases. I see now why he's called the Plague. Nice misleading from Oda, we thought that's related to his Devil Fruit powers.

- My theory about the mysterious prisoner said that he's someone stronger than Kaido because trying to kill him with 1 poisonous fish a day instead of just straight killing him was a sign that he's someone on another level compared to Orochi or Kaido. But in this chapter Oda shits on my theory as usual. They give him 1 poisonous fish a day because they don't want him to die right away. They want him to die a slow and painful death. Oda definitely anticipates the theories.

- I like that dust effect near Kawamatsu silhouette. Reminds me of Imu in that secret chamber.

- Kawamatsu is NOTHING like i expected him to look like. But interesting design nonetheless.

- Kiku is a guy ? So that's why he was using " sessha " to refer to himself in the early chapters.

- Kiku is the most beautiful swordsman in the Wano Country ? Did they forget about ma boy Orochi ?

- Beautiful panel in the final page. Kiku's mask is awesome.

Weak cliffhanger, but cool chapter.

5. Marco Polo

“super moderator”
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

That’s what’s most important, you’re right

Kia likes this.
  6. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Expand Collapse

Eiichiro Oda's new message about Wano arc:

" Wano arc already went quite forward, and has already reached its peak.
    What do you think of it ? Fun, isn't it ?
    Well, it will become 50 times more fun. "

7. sweetjacky

Missing him :'(
    Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

I made a small tribute sketch to the chapter :D

20190706_181328.jpg

GoldenVenus, Seiryu, Kia and 3 others like this.
  8. mysticalflute

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Very nice!

sweetjacky likes this.
  9. ckimbrew

Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

What’s the consensus thought here on Kawamatsu’s cuffs?

Regular or Sea Prism!?

That could be a game changer. Maybe even Op?

10. Kia

Kia
    All about amare, anima, and anime.
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

• So we finally see the plague skills in use—about time.
    • Kawamatsu reveal! Hell, the scabbards reveal themselves in general—good stuff!
    • O-Kiku wants to save O-Lin, bless her heart. Chopper’s like screw that! lol
    • Kiku is transgendered!! Hello representation. Oda’s trying to be real. That poll needs some more options, just saying. Since I’m pan, I don’t need to rethink anything. She’s still hot AF just the way she is—that mask though—yum! ^_^

Kiku is transgendered as far as I can tell and that makes me happier than anyone can know!! She said—I’m a woman at heart, which is all that truly matters. It’s not about biology (male/female). They specifically spoke to gender (man/woman).

He’s totally being more responsible these days (at least to some extent). Though he did mess up the plan and that’s how he got locked up in the first place lol. However, yes your point is valid for sure. ^_^

Jawahib likes this.
  11. mysticalflute

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

12. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Haha...that's a great point. There definitely seems to be a bit of naivety with Kiku so he may have a WTF face moment.
    Yup, Kawamatsu is based on a Kappa.

I'm always bad at name details. Even attack names have so much thought behind the kanji (and usual double entendre). I'm definitely the most happy about Oda finally getting back to the stuff that make this series amazing.
    I completely forgot about that! Freakin' "country bumpkin doctor" Chopper always cracks me up. Realistically, Jinbei is already the final crew member nakama, but it makes sense for the overlap of technique with Gyojin Karate.
    Ah, great point on the necessary maturation Luffy has to go through for the rest of the series.
    This is probably more along the lines of the stereotype @Dreamer mentioned with the kabuki actors.
    I don't think Oda understands "peak"...but I'm glad he gave us legit information on the rest of Wano being ~50 chapters. That seems really short for how much of a pivot point it is in the series, but with this breakneck pace, it seems possible.
    Thanks!

13. GoldenVenus

I shall rise
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Instead of adding other female characters though, I was hoping Oda would develop Robin more and make her more badass.

Kiku the heartbreaker. Lol.

I'm also quite disappointed with the lack of strong female characters, but honestly I don't mind Kiku being a man ( I guessed it based on the hints). Though, in this case, I feel like it's more of a gag. Like I said above, what I think Oda should do is develop Robin's character (and Nami tooo probably) cos I need to see some character development (Oda tends to focus more on the development of the male characters)

Yeah I don't exactly think we've reached the 'peak' lol. This doesn't seem like the peak to me, more like the rising action before the peak. But anyway, Wano is good so far.

Seiryu likes this.
  14. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Thankfully that's an inevitability...bad thing is that it will probably take a year or two (real world time). Looking back at the original crew plans, it looks like Nami was going to be the only female, so we lucked out that Robin ended up replacing someone.
    By no means are we at the climax of the series. But thinking about it more, I do think this may be the "peak" of chaos. Part of me still thinks this is a lie too because the 15K allies do not match the numbers of enemies. There has to be some other twist that adds to the chaos, but that probably only comes during the true climax of the arc.

15. Pacquiao8

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Kawamatsu can be Jinbe's "Mid Group" counterpart (Brook is to Zoro, Franky is to Sanji).

16. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Are we talking about "crew level nakama"? If so, what sort of role will Kawamatsu have? Jinbei was a mystery until we got to see his mastery of manhandling Sunny to surf the homie wave. I would assume the "Mid Group" overlap is Oda running out of creative fighting styles/combat techniques. I'm curious, what's the overlap between Franky/Sanji?

Another important thing to note is that Oda is giving seemingly random Wano Kuni characters and "entrance chapter". I'm too lazy to go back to the manga, but the anime title has an entrance episode for Tama. I do agree that the entrance chapter implies a greater role (and likely a role that extends past the Wano Kuni arc), but until we get at least one of the following: a world changing dream, a heart-wrenching backstory, or a specific "role" to play in the crew, my bias is that Kawamatsu being a crew member is unlikely.

17. Pacquiao8

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Just a similarity with fight styles. Sanji and Franky fights similarly in a way that they are naturally contact/physical fighters.

Anime titles never signaled something, as much as I remember.

18. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Expand Collapse

People shouldn't forget that there's a revelation coming regarding the identity of Zou's traitor. Jack was able to locate Zunisha two times, which is out of the ordinary. Zunisha has no magnetic field and the only way to find it is by using a Vivre Card. So someone from Zou might have given Jack one.

There's a huge chance that the mink traitor is the one who leaked the Wano rebellion plan.

In the Vivre Card Databooks, all minks' cards have the same color ( green ). However, in the latest set, there's one mink whose card has a slightly different green color. It's Carrot.

Carrot being Zou's traitor as well as the one who leaked the Wano rebellion plan might be Oda's next major plot twist.

Seiryu likes this.
  19. mysticalflute

Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

But what reason would Carrot have to betray them? I don't want to poo-poo the theory right out the gate but, like I said on Twitter, I don't see a reasoning for this.

20. Kia

Kia
    All about amare, anima, and anime.
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

It’s Bepo. He betrayed them all because Pedro let his brother die then sacrificed himself to save Luffy’s crew... he’s fed up with it all. Why didn’t the minks protect him and his family like that? *shrug* I mean if we’re just naming people...