1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

One Piece Chapter 901: "Even if You Die, Don't Die!!!"

Discussion in 'Past Chapters' started by Molvvetto D. Persie, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Pacquiao8

8th Commander of the Straw Hat Grand Fleet
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

By the way, are you aware of Oda's original plans for this arc?

2. Monkey Deeb Luffy

Expand Collapse

I am not. Please enlighten me.

3. Pacquiao8

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Luffy and others are supposed to be leaving the territories right after the wedding. Tamatebako is supposed to explode in Empress Big Mom's face after that. It's just a few. Oda prolonged the arc for a very weird and somewhat invalid reason: to "outsmart" people who predicted the outcome of this arc. @Seiryu senpai can explain these further.

strpnts likes this.
  4. Monkey Deeb Luffy

Expand Collapse

Let me play devil's advocate here. If he did pronounce these plans before the WCI arc, maybe he wanted to outsmart fans by misleading them, knowing fans would make realistic predictions, while originally intending to write this version of perceived prolonged arc.

Oda can't satisfy everyone, and cannot stop fans from making their own predictions and criticisms if their predictions turned out right. But if he did try to outsmart fans as you are suggesting, it's his prerogative.

5. camoramo24

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

We saw everyone that was on the ship except for Sanji.

6. Pacquiao8

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Nope, I'm sure he doesn't. It's a last minute revision. Remember the "Wano and Reverie in 2017", the leaked plot from the fired assistants, and the latest interviews?

7. Monkey Deeb Luffy

Expand Collapse

I am not aware of this so I cannot comment on the authenticity of the leaked plot from fired assistants.

If they were the real deal, the intent was malicious, and I can understand if Oda made last minute revisions. But I don't consider it prolonging the arc.

8. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Nothing but love my dude

9. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

This gave me a good laugh...and gotta completely agree. But at the same time, Oven should just do his overheat technique to negate this, so I'll take the partly irrational situation as long as we move past WCI soon. I'd love to just have a big cliffhanger on Sunny getting away safely and the narrator saying "WTF is going to happen to Jinbei and the Sun Pirates?!" All the comments so far seem to have forgotten about Zeus. Unless I missed something (completely missed the supposedly dead son, so gotta check that page again), Zeus should still be Nami's "slave". This likely will be the plot armor for not having Jinbei slaughtered.
    Shiki admits he got defeated despite having the ridiculous numbers advantage. Roger gets his power-up from being a cornered animal protecting his nakama, so the situation is just the same thing that let him rise to the top of the throne.
    When there are clear discrepancies and constant changes, I think us fans SHOULD hold Oda to his same standard. It was his choice to make last minute (and completely B.S. changes). It was his choice to continue this B.S. half a year longer than it was supposed to. It is also my choice to stop buying merchandise out of protest. It is also my choice to completely give up the series if the B.S. was going to continue for the foreseeable future.

I have been one of the biggest Oda supporters/defenders my entire time here. However, I think any fan cannot argue against the fact that WCI arc is completely different from the other 19.75 years of manga content. Oda is obviously reading [Japanese] forums, so I would hope there are real fans that don't have blind faith and have fair judgement. My negativity is just a reflection of the astronomical drop from the quality of the original plan.

We have to assume there are changes to Wano Kuni now that Jinbei is not going to be there (fingers crossed since things are looking optimistic for the first time in months). However, this may be as simple as reducing the village leaders by one. I probably need to say that I too have belief in Oda, but crap is crap. My blunt personality will not sugarcoat it though.

I hope this clarifies why some of us are so negative. Pretty much all of fans should be upset for having half a year of our time wasted, and literally over Oda's damn pride. Sure he has earned it, but he's pettier than most kids I come across nowadays (some here who are damn mature for their young age). When the younger reader's get older, the value of limited free time is going to become more prevalent.

Juggy and Kreydens like this.
  10. Pacquiao8

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

What if Jinbe comes back before this arc ends? We saw how many "epic" panels from this arc are wasted in vain (e.g. Sanji and the "cake that can KO Big Mom", Carrot stares to Perospero, Moscato dying, etc.).

11. Monkey Deeb Luffy

Expand Collapse

@Seiryu being a passionate fan of a manga such as you, and holding an author accountable is nothing new. It is indeed your choice to stop patronizing a product or related merchandise when you feel disappointed with the quaility of writing. No argument there, and more power to your cause.

As I have said in my previous post, I am no writer, nor can I pretend to do better than Oda in creating this manga. I may sound like having blind faith and bias in favor of Oda, but I also can get disappointed from time to time about the developments. And like you having a choice, I too have a choice, and I choose not to be too negative about it. I also choose to read the manga to the very end, and hope that it ends during my lifetime. I leave the criticism of or acclaim for Oda to real passionate fans.

If Oda does read the forums, then I wish your messages reach him. But I am still a firm believer that no one can please everybody, Oda is no exception. Some fans will just agree with your criticism, while others won't or simply have no reaction to it. That's just the reality of it. If Oda happens to heed your advice and quality improves according to your standards, well and good. I hope you choose to continue reading OP to the very end (as I do), and I hope you enjoy it and not feel you just wasted your time with crap.

Seiryu likes this.
  12. mysticalflute

Expand Collapse

My major problem with my arc at this point is that it just keeps going in circles, and everything just seemed to conveniently go right for the Big Mom Pirates at almost an impossible level. I'm just.. burned out at this point. I don't care if Big Mom dies or not. I just need a break from her and her ridiculous family.

Hmmm... Morgan escaping makes me wonder if we'll start Reverie with his report coming out and being discussed by the royals.

Overall, another "meh" chapter.

This is the arc that never ends. Yes it goes on and on my friends...

13. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

#53 Seiryu, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Just posted this in the other thread, but the X-factor is Big Mom. If she gets to the conflict, Jinbei will have to stay and should get captured. This sets up the awesome potential of Luffy bringing the war to Big Mom and taking over Totland (Luffy's childhood dream is "freedom" and Totland is a perfect representation of this, so it fits so nicely).

@Monkey Deeb Luffy I most definitely agree. However, I've been through the degradation of the top WSJ series the past 10-12 years (HxH, Bleach, and Naruto). HxH is the only series I did not give up on since it was only the art quality that was terrible (literal sketches were published). I've been through this enough to know that too many blind fans will let the series quality go downhill. Everyone has a different limit, mine is just much lower since I've lived through it enough times already (the "fool me once..." cliche).

Edit: looking at that 3rd/4th page, I am hoping it is just another twin (Oda's been chipping away at the total number of Charlottes to design anyway). They specifically used the word "dead" in the manga, so having him revived seems like more contradictions. Despite this, we have a whole lot to look forward to. Even if 902 stays on WCI, we get another chance to see Jinbei fighting seriously and likely all out if Big Mom gets there. Best case scenario is the start of either Reverie or the "state of the world" mini-arc, which should include Nekomamushi/Marco and probably the rest of the crew going to or infiltrating Wano Kuni.

Pacquiao8 likes this.
  14. mysticalflute

Expand Collapse

I think a big problem with this arc was just how many people were introduced or even involved in the arc at all.

I get it, Big Mom is a Yonko and she's probably going to have a huge crew, and we needed to be introduced to Sanji's family but... my God.

15. Monkey Deeb Luffy

Expand Collapse

@Seiryu I also agree with you that everyone has a different limit, and I do enjoy reading comments here about grievances. It gives me perspective. Keep doing what you do.

I have seen people make cases that WCI is prolonged and it's taking forever to finish. I won't argue that. I also couldn't wait for WCI arc to be over. My concern is on the key adjective some members use to describe it: "unnecessary". You can call it petty, you can say quality has gone south because of it, but you can only judge it as unnecessary once all is said and done. If Oda has indeed made last minute revisions to the plot in the past, he certainly can do it again. This would mean that the entire plot/ending is not pre-determined, even by Oda, and the events we see now with WCI arc could still be relevant to future plot lines.

I also am a fan of HxH. It's a shame that it goes on long hiatus a lot. I don't mind the sketch art, but that, in combination with lots of dialogue and words, make it hard for me to follow, because of my eyesight. I wish they resume the anime from 2011, and I would definitely watch it.

16. Lugz

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I guess the pressure is too much to Oda on how to complete the WCI arc with a bang after missing too many crucial climaxes already (and the chance goes with it). This is now already to the point it is now being anti-climatic). OP readers are just trying to find way to appreciate this arc. Should I have known, I would have skip this and just scan over when the arc's over (like I did with Long Long ring island).

Also, I think Oda may had forgotten how Arlong and his crew did their mischiefs early on the series.
    I totally agree with you on this, the merfolks do not even have the need to surface to show themselves as open targets. They can hit the boats with fishman karate (or similar attacks) even from under the water. With so many of them, they can make those tart boats full of holes with nothing on Big Mam's to left with. Those Tart boats were only manage by pawns.

Honestly, I do not care anymore how Oda finishes this arc. I guess I'll just read thru and goes thru with it in pain until this arc finish (if Oda had any more intentions of finishing this). I will probably back to skipping couple of chapters/ month's worth and only try catching to check if it's done already. I do not think it is worth patronizing the arc at this time.

17. Lugz

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

The only gain we can salvage on this chapter is this:
    Jimbei requesting permission from his Captain and Luffy (acknowledging Jimbei's official status in the crew) not allowing him to die. AT LEAST, for that panel - respect was reciprocated between the two. Zorro would have been proud of Jimbie

This line rings a bell to me (or something close / similar in phrase) already mentioned in the series but my memory is failing me at this point. (as with my appreciation with this arc).

18. strpnts

Expand Collapse

It's a good chapter, after reading it twice it makes me think that even if there are some unecessary actions that is made, there is always a next chapter to enlighten us whats coming and whats not. If you feel that the chapter is full of sh*t because it doesn't satisfy your wants, then it comes to the point that you have to wait or stop reading. Constructive criticism is fine but too much negativity is not healthy.

8/10 for this chapter hoping to see what's the other crew plan, sweet escape or fight to death!

19. camoramo24

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

After thinking about it, the end of this chapter might be more significant than we think. Morgan saying that one of the people in the worst generation will be the pirate king is a really big foreshadow for the future. Here is what I am thinking, which was probably something that everyone else already thought of at some point. Luffy will not be the pirate king, or better yet he won't be recognized by the world as the pirate king, it will be someone else. By the world I mean everyone that doesn't know of Luffy. I believe that someone else of the worst generation(Black beard) will find the one piece, and be recognized as the king of the pirates. But at the end of the story, we would have a moment like this.
    Character #1: Do you know of the pirate king.
    Character #2: Yea, your talking about Black Beard right?
    Character #1: Hahaha, no you have to have been there to know this, the real pirate king was Strawhat Luffy.
    Character #1 is either zoro, smoker, or Coby.

dialog kinda inspired by kingdom hearts.

Seiryu likes this.
  20. ckimbrew

Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Well, just read from a pretty reliable source that WCI will be ending the next chapter... Here’s hoping!

Seiryu likes this.