1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

One Piece Chapter 916: "A Great Sumo Match in The Wano Country"

Discussion in 'Past Chapters' started by Molvvetto D. Persie, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Admiral Ryokugyu

f(b/{gj/mj|{
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

If that crest is found on the background and on Holdem's hat, then it's probably Bakura Town's symbol, since Holdem is the boss of that town.

Seiryu likes this.
  2. Ebony Rustle

Expand Collapse

#62 Ebony Rustle, Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    Yeah, I also thought of that. But something about how he told Tama about the Kozuki Clan gives me the feeling that he had ties with them or Wano long ago instead of just simply antagonizing them similar to what the Donquixote family did in Dressrosa.

3. Lugz

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Luffy still holding the sword while attacking (mostly for props)

So how will the next chapter play out?

Luffy + Zorro + Kiku VS Holdem + Hawkins (Law just on the sides)
    Luffy + Zorro + Kiku VS Holdem (Hawkins and Law just on the sides)
    Luffy + Zorro + Kiku + Law VS Holdem + Hawkins
    Or all-out brawl between worst generation (Holdem knockout early and was pushed to the side) :P

Attached Files:

4. Lugz

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I would agree with Seiryu on this part.
    This is not the first time Oda raised the Japanese culture /difference between Man and Woman 'wielding' a sword. If anyone cares to remember, Oda showed the same sentimentality during Zorro's back story wherein Kuina told him that he would soon surpassed her - that was after Kuina beating Zorro (I think after 2,000 times). My understanding is there seems an 'acceptable & proper' for women, especially that we are in Wano that is supposed to mirror the old Japan. It is also my understanding that Women are 'not likely expected' to wield a sword or be samurai (which I think is a man job) thus you can see in Kiku's comments contradicting herself. She was over-taken by her anger / emotion, but after that she was able to sort of regain her 'composure' and act in a womanly manner.[/user]

Attached Files:

5. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

He'd be stronger than Luffy with the speed increase!
    Yup, when he got his "official introduction" (name box).
    Quoting all your posts...I have a hard time thinking Moria comes up again. Unless Oda is going to make exceptions to his loss of a dream>death itself rule, Moria shouldn't be coming back into the main plot. I have a hard time thinking Oda will make any exceptions because any current Yonkou coming back would screw Luffy over (especially Kaidou, but to a certain extent even Big Mom once they are defeated).
    I would say Law is still a few chapters from joining Luffy's group (the mountain is quite high and a ways off, plus Beppo is poisoned so Law has to spend some time treating him first). Thus, I would say a 1v1 combination of Luffy/Zoro and Holdem/Hawkins. Probably in that order since Holdem has Tama and Hawkins managed to graze Zoro with his nail attack (which shouldn't have happened even with Zoro protecting Tama, but Oda needed to start the Zoro x Kiku ship). Kiku is probably left to deal with the minions (there are still some around and more likely coming since the entire town is full of them).

Admiral Ryokugyu likes this.
  6. Portgas D. Earl

Super Cool and Nice Guy
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Great chapter! I'm starting to ship Zoro and the samurai girl lol

mysticalflute and onepiece222 like this.
  7. Admiral Ryokugyu

f(b/{gj/mj|{
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Apparently Oda will get his shit together.

Editor says Wano's arc will start kicking into gear with Chapter 917 next week.

8. mysticalflute

Expand Collapse

I didn't think Oda didn't have his shit together. I've been enjoying the last few chapters and characters introduced

9. Admiral Ryokugyu

f(b/{gj/mj|{
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

i'm talking about myself. I didn't enjoy them. In my opinion those chapters could have focused on more interesting aspects of Wano rather than the stupid SMILE users. You can have a different opinion.

Thank u.

Kia likes this.
  10. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for that. I was starting to think that, I was getting to be too easily amused in my old age. I know I nitpicked and complained about O-Kiku but that was for discussion sake. I’ve been enjoying reading the story.

11. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I think this could also refer to the entire wasted half year of WCI. That seems to be the whole point of the fan service chapters, rapid pacing of Wano Kuni, as well as the secret Twitter event. Either way, the positive changes and positive comments by Oda are good for everyone.

12. Chill024

Expand Collapse

I”ve been wondering how do japanese reader/otaku think about this WCI arc?just curious thats all

13. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I haven't been to Japan recently and don't have the time to read Japanese forums, so I have no idea. I would assume it was equally negative based on everything that has happened since.

14. bandurista24

Fifth Emperor
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

I dont know why so many people think negatively about WCI arc. For me, it was a really good arc. Like sheesh. We saw big mom and her powers, her crew specially katakuri, sanjis family and past, bege alliance, brook stealing a copy of poneglyph, sulong form, snakeman, and jimbei finally joining the crew. It was all good. And btw bout u said something about oda not showing jimbei cause he might be scarred or lost limb, any source or it was just your speculation? Because i doubt it. They are battling on sea, where the fishmen have advantage both in fighting and escaping. Escaping like they can just swim underwater and the whole big mom pirates who is mostly composed of devil fruit users cant do anything to chase those fishmen piratea

15. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I agree that these were all exciting parts, but I would much rather be in or very close to the climax of Wano Kuni (half a year in the future, which is going to be amazing and truly epic even by One Piece standards). None of these things were probably supposed to happen. WCI was supposed to be a short build-up arc for the the true war against Big Mom. With Luffy's win against Katakuri (the poneglyph is the other key aspect), the war is nothing more than a formality to ensure Luffy doesn't have a "boring adventure" where he does not defeat all four Yonkou.

As for Jinbei, that's been confirmed. Off the top of my head, I think the reveal came through an editor though. Searching the news section should get you to the right thread. The announcements on Oda indirectly admitting he was wrong for trying to "outsmart" people that figured out the plot was around the same time. Almost certain the Jinbei news came out a little later.

16. bandurista24

Fifth Emperor
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Can u give me the link? Cant find it in the news section. But seriously screw the editors who keeps leaking. It makes oda sensei change what hes already planned. It burns his brains lol. But i wont believe the leaks i will only believe it if it is oda sensei is the one saying it or showed it in his manga

17. mysticalflute

Expand Collapse

Okay yeah I'll agree that WCI was super dragged out! I just meant regarding Wano so far, I've been happy with how the story has been unfolding. :)

18. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

https://opforum.net/threads/eiichiro-odas-interview-summary-july-2018.86284/#post-907982
    Searching for "Jinbe" and "appearance" got the post in the news section. I think the link above is directly for Pac-man's post with the update (not sure if the original post got updated accordingly).
    Yup, lots of good stuff so far. The best part is that it should only get better as the arc keeps progressing.