1. The results of the Member of the Year voting are in... Find out who won!
  2. The Monthly PAW February 2020 is out now. Check it out!
  3. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

One Piece Chapter 971: Sentenced to Boil

Discussion in 'Past Chapters' started by Marco Polo, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Marco Polo

monkey d. chadmin
    Administrator Member of the Year 2018
    Expand Collapse

#1 Marco Polo, Feb 14, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020

Attached Files:

2. Marco Polo

monkey d. chadmin
    Administrator Member of the Year 2018
    Expand Collapse

@Seiryu remind me to come back and resize the chapter image later

Anyway

What. A. Chapter.

I assume this is the "Hour of Legends" they spoke about a couple of chapters ago? For Oden to even be able to stand in that boiling pot, let alone hold all nine of his retainers above his head, is ridiculous and a testament to both the strength and willpower of the man. Obviously things don't pan out the way Oden's been promised (and I imagine he ends up dying towards the end of the hour), but holy shit if this isn't the standout badass moment from a series that's already full of badass moments.

Shinobu's monologue is one of those iconic One Piece moments in an already iconic flashback, and it's definitely given her the standout moment she deserves. That speech is 100% the turning factor in giving Oden his good reputation back, and I'm glad it happened because he's one hell of a man.

3. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

Next week's chapter will be out early with a color spread and an interview with Oda.

4. Edinbour

The Red King
    Yonko
    Expand Collapse

What a great chapter! Oden is just so damn cool! :)

I'm loving this flashback more and more. And I've said it before but Oden is easily becoming one of my favorite characters.

5. Robin-Senpai Is The Best

Captain
    Expand Collapse

-Boiled in oil (I know this is supposed to be serious but all I can think about is that one Avatar episode)
    -So that's why Oden had to dance like that

6. R1pp3r D. Pervert

Unofficial forum mod
    Supernova
    Expand Collapse

ODEN.... GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edinbour and Geralt of East Blue like this.
  7. TonzChopper

Navigator
    Expand Collapse

OT :

Rocks D. Xebec's death image.

Attached Files:

8. Anjo

An alcohol dependent being, born at a young age
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

All Chads in the world are mighty proud of this Chad in Wano.

Mapache likes this.
  9. mysticalflute

Navigator
    Expand Collapse

I'm starting to feel like the people at the execution.

JUST DIE ALREADY SO WE CAN GET ON WITH OUR LIVES, ODEN!

God I'm so sick of this flashback. I don't care anymore. I just don't.

10. Kia

Kia
    “Don’t try to find a reason for somebody’s love.”
    Supernova Member of the Year 2019
    Expand Collapse

Obviously I decided that I couldn’t wait for the officials.

Dude! That was epic. I teared up. But let me say a few things really quickly:
    • When all you need to do is be held up by your leader who’s standing in boiling oil, yeah, your comments about the heat had better be prefaced with “how can you stand? or please let me help hold everyone up”... something that sounds less ungrateful.
    • I knew Shinobu/the ninjas were privy to sh*t going down that most people didn’t know about just because they’re sneaky
    • How many of the crowd get killed to silence what she just said so that no one remembers? Or are there those who do despite the propaganda storm—hence the reason for it.
    • The ability to withstand the boiling oil in the first place (we’re up to 4+ minutes and holding all of them) proves that Oden’s not a punk. For examples, it was stated previously that Impel Down prisoners on Level 4 didn’t burn instantly when boiled. Well Daz Bonez was a level 4 prisoner and he was the highest ranked person just under a Warlord of the Sea, so they may have been fodder but they still warranted being on the same level as him. Context people. You’ve got to read just a little more into things.
    • I think I said previously that Oden was acting like a $&@ fool in order to protect everyone or maybe all I said was that he was trying to keep everyone out of it. But this confirms it. I think the reason Kaido didn’t dodge the blow is because he didn’t think Oden was really going to jeopardize everything and try to kill him. And possibly he didn’t understand how much life force he was capable of channeling or how Enma works/that it had been tamed? After all, Oden was, if I understand correctly, the first person to actually tame the sword properly and though Ame no Habakiri can cut through the heavens, it doesn’t draw out Haki from its wielder in the same way so its potential isn’t quite the same. And once you’ve got the balance of heaven and hell, you can cut anything. Essentially it’s like saying you’re going to draw out all your untapped potential, balance the energies perfectly so that there’s no area or realm for the opponent to hide and pierce through all shielding and boundaries. Or maybe that’s my quick thoughts going deep into a rabbit hole again.
    • As for the whole—Oden’s not worthy to be on Whitebeard’s crew issue, I don’t see it. When he was approaching them on Wano, they felt him coming and flat out referred to him as “something incredible”. Just because he referred to the power of the man with the most terrifying DF in the world when speaking of things in the vast world which impressed him and made him feel small (Dude all of the WB pirates know to get out of the way when he’s using his powers. It’s a thing you learn.), doesn’t mean he’s not worthy. It was his first exposure to DF, presumably—and what an exposure it was!
    • Yeah, Oden’s a badass. Epic speech. Can’t wait to see the rest of this play out.
    Oops this turned much longer than I expected. How long did I even take to write this? Whatever. It’s done. ^_*

11. Monkey D Junior

Crew Member Apprentice
    Expand Collapse

Yo Oden is a freakin GOAT

Edinbour likes this.
  12. onami

Navigator
    Expand Collapse

Damn this chapter! Why wouldn’t anyone push orochi into that pot. One good kick from the back.

Monkey D Junior likes this.
  13. onami

Navigator
    Expand Collapse

that man is boiling and for an hour and you’re worried about reading for 10 minutes.
    Shinobu will find you and will crush your balls.

Dreamer, RoronoaZoro5 and Seiryu like this.
  14. Mo3MaR

Navigator
    Expand Collapse

Our hard boiled man rankings!
    1.Oden (literally)
    2. Senor Pink
    3. Franky

15. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

All done.
    Yup! Nice recovery and a nice distraction from what hopefully is just a temporary misstep. Feels like a bit unlike Oda for to have direct overlap between this and Whitebeard accepting him. However, this does little to take away from what the remaining 56 minutes is going to show us. Based on the faces in the background, at least the commoners are going to support Oden (like the entire Whitebeard crew supporting Oden). There are those already corrupted, but damn...Oden is already spurting blood, so this is going to get emotional next chapter.
    Oda's been astronomically more honest than before, so this could be huge. Hopefully it's something like a spin off chapter to correct the Kaidou vs. Oden fight.
    He's more Zoro than Zoro!
    My gut says Raizou's comments are not as the translation implies. However, the bickering among themselves fits their ruffian origins perfectly. Look at Kinemon. He looks like he's balling already at 4 minutes. They all know they will pretty much instantly die like the underling and thus Oden ordering them from the very start. I'll let you know what the raw says if ya want.
    Probably none. They all respect Oden's strength from seeing it first-hand. Those that can fight chose to raid Onigashima later in groups but even this was pointless in front of Kaidou. Even without weakening Kaidou, they aren't a match for Oden already.
    I only remember the boiling as punishment in Inferno Hell. It was sweltering forced labor, but even Mr. 1 was sweating quite a bit. I fully agree that Oden will live up to the hype.
    Hoping the best for next week's interview on the Kaidou B.S. But same thing again for me: I haven't seen anyone here questioning Oden being worthy of being a part of Whitebeard's or Roger's crew (it should be Roger more so than Whitebeard if anything). As an exec for both, it is hard to imagine he has not fought ability users, especially if he's already familiar with the phrase for ability users.
    This made me laugh...she doesn't have balls though! But on a serious note, Oda is purposefully going over the top for Oden and I can understand if this rubs some people the wrong way. I'm still not liking the excessively neon color scheme of the anime either, and don't think I will. To each their own preferences.

Edinbour likes this.
  16. Kreydens

Helmsman
    Expand Collapse

He was just too proud to ask his previous crews for help - Whitebeard would come without even thinking.

Geralt of East Blue likes this.
  17. X Drake

Undercover T-rex
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

I raise my hat to you oh oden!
    I raise my hand to the chest to you oh oden!
    Oh oden, for you where a man of respect!

Edinbour likes this.
  18. Okiku is Bae

Apprentice
    Expand Collapse

He went out like a Badass
    But I still really don't like Oden because most if not all of this could have been prevented had he not been selfish and left Wano

Also would like to point out that the traitor is probably in then panel where Oden is holding them up in the pot
    Now that is messed up

Kreydens likes this.
  19. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

Toki keeps acting as if nothing's going on. That's suspicious.

20. mysticalflute

Navigator
    Expand Collapse

10 minutes? This flashback has been dragging on for at least 10 chapters. I'm bored. I get it, Oden is perfect and wonderful and died a horrific death. But I miss the Straw Hats and want to see them again.