One Piece Hollywood Live Action TV Series Announced!

Discussion in 'One Piece News' started by Owl, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Owl

Owl
    Administrator
    Administrator
    Expand Collapse

one-piece-20th-anniversary.png

It has been announced, in its 20th anniversary celebrations, that One Piece will get a Hollywood live action TV series! Tomorrow Studios will be in charge of this project with the help of Marty Adelstein, one of the executive producers of Prison Break!

A statement released by Adelstein, reveals that One Piece could be one of the most expensive TV series ever made!

UPDATE:
    It has been announced by the producer Marty Adelstein in a video message at Jump Festa 2018 that the One Piece Hollywood Live Action TV Series will start with the East Blue Arc and it will broaden from there. He promises to create "a true One Piece" after he discussed the project personally with Oda.

UPDATE: Here is Eiichiro Oda's comment about this and its translation:​

[​IMG]
    There have been many stories about making a live-action series in the past 20 years. About three years ago, I decided to make a live-action picture. After many twists and turns, I found a good partner. Today on the 20th anniversary, we made the production announcement. This is actually a coincidence, I am very happy. This announcement may cause some anxiety but my one condition for the series is to never betray the fans who supported my work for 20 years. Please get excited and wait for the next report.
    Please look forward to it!!
    Eiichiro Oda.​

h/t to Yahoo Japan, Mantan and One Piece Podcast.

2. frqstm

Expand Collapse

Nightmare comes true.

JORMUNGAND and Vesi like this.
  3. Glaze D. Bacon

Light it up.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I'm excited enough to give this a try. I understand Hollywood isn't great at making their own versions of popular anime, but I will watch it as a One Piece fan and give out criticism when needed.

4. Grin

The luckiest egg in the world
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Calling it now, half of the cast will be replaced with black actors and Nami will get a blue mohawk.

5. Chaudfontaine

Chaudius Caesar
    Moderator Member of the Year 2017 YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

As I said before, i'm not superexcited for this, because the colorfullness, the impossible actions, the background of the animated version doesn't always translate that well into real life tv. I'll try it when it comes out, but i'll not go to the cinema for this one.

Tony and dreamlovermimi like this.
  6. sweetjacky

Purrrrple Kitty
    Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

Was that the big announcement for the 22nd or will there ve something else? If it's this I'm kinda disappointed because I'm not really eager about life actions, especially not for One Piece. I'll give it a try for sure but I don't have high hopes for it.

Don't forget the dog they'll use for Chopper!

7. Deathbloke

one unlucky bastard
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I'm not excited for this either, One Piece would be really hard to turn into a live-action, but I'll give it a shot once it's out ;)

8. Owl

Owl
    Administrator
    Administrator
    Expand Collapse

Here is Eiichiro Oda's comment about this and its translation:

eiichiro-oda-comment-one-piece-live-action.jpg

There have been many stories about making a live-action series in the past 20 years. About three years ago, I decided to make a live-action picture. After many twists and turns, I found a good partner. Today on the 20th anniversary, we made the production announcement. This is actually a coincidence, I am very happy. This announcement may cause some anxiety but my one condition for the series is to never betray the fans who supported my work for 20 years. Please get excited and wait for the next report.
    Please look forward to it!!
    Eiichiro Oda.

9. Booker

Not A Member
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Sounds as if Oda has never seen a live action adaption of any anime or manga, especially one made in Hollywood.
    On top of that would I say that OP is especially hard to adapt. Not because of the look of the world or anything, a proper CGI team could deal with that, but because of the body shapes of characters. They're quite excentric at times and either need very good CGI to look good or really great costumes.
    I doubt that either of the two is going to happen for a series that needs to keep quality up over several episodes. I'd rather say that they blow their budget in the first episodes to look good and appeal to the audience or they stretch the budget as far as possible and have the same, mediocre not-so-good looking quality over all episodes.
    Not to mention that pacing might become a problem. We'll either get a short slice of the series, like very short, or a longer with lots of possible important parts skipped.

Most likely not going to check it out, if I'm honest. I don't see a reason as to why.
    Live action adaptions always feel like cheap cash graps to me.

CLEDLUFFY likes this.
  10. Storm chaser

Rock n' Roll
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Im gonna give this a try! Im kinda excited too. Omg, I hope itll be long enough for Ace to make an appearance. :sanji::sanji:

11. GraphicNature

Expand Collapse

I am honestly interested in seeing how this is going to turn out.... If the budget for the series is there, then it is doable... It is not impossible for this to be good, but the chances of them hitting the nail on the head are pretty low....

You have to realize that technology and CG is hundreds of times better than when, lets say the Mortal Kombat movies came out, or when they attempted to do superhero TV shows in the past... Just look at the 1990-1991 Flash, and compare it to the current series running on the CW.... It's like comparing a piece of coal to a diamond...

Also it seems Oda chose to go with a Western producer, because let's be honest, Japan doesn't pour the kind of money into making TV series and movies, like the US does... When you see Manga's/Animes turned into live action movies in Japan, those are actually "Big Budget" movies by their standards....

I am going to remain optimistic, because it seems Oda has wanted to do this for years now, but he has been waiting to find the right partner to attempt it, and it's not something he just rushed into attempting the second he got the idea in his head... Not to mention, he said it's only going to happen as long as it doesn't let down the audience... So if they make the pilot, and Oda doesn't like it, then it's not going to happen...

12. Cosmos

Ms. Owl
    Administrator
    Expand Collapse

I just hope this doesn't turn into another "the last airbender" disaster... I'm gonna trust Oda-chan tho! :triumph:

13. Portgas D.Hilal

The Wanderer
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

It's either a nightmare or a dream, lets hope for the best, I don't really have much experience in life-action anime.

14. Marco Polo

circus act
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

GET READY FOR THE WHITEWASHING HOOOOOO BOY

ckimbrew likes this.
  15. dreamlovermimi

Zoro's Main Chick
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

too early to tell for me! anyone know what network/ channel is airing it?

16. Sunny G

Expand Collapse

#16 Sunny G, Jul 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    If I had a facepalm gif on hand, I would use it right now. I am not a fan of this idea. I love One Piece, I've been a die-hard loyal fan since 2005, but Hollywood and One Piece will mesh together about as well as Isopropyl Alchohol and Sulfuric Acid. And I'm predicting that if this goes bad, it will be do the same amount of good for the series's reputation as the 4kids dub did.

I wish the best of luck to Oda though. I hope they prove me wrong.

17. Owl

Owl
    Administrator
    Administrator
    Expand Collapse

UPDATE: A statement released by Adelstein, reveals that One Piece could be one of the most expensive TV series ever made.

18. Pacquiao8

8th Commander of the Straw Hat Grand Fleet
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I'm worried about this, really worried. I hope they won't blaspheme the story and the design.

19. dreamlovermimi

Zoro's Main Chick
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

thats true! Hollywood always rewrite the stories of books and written stories for more views! Now I'm thinking if its gonna be PG.PG13, Rated R etc.

20. Rika24

Expand Collapse

Well... At least we have Oda's ideal for the characters' origins based on the real world so there's that...

I'm mostly worried about poor Usopp...