1. As a final farewell gift to our beloved creator, we're planning to make a "thank you" video. If you'd like to be involved, you can read more here.
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

One Piece User Tournament - ROUND FIVE - Grin vs Dreamer

Discussion in 'One Piece Events' started by Krazy, Oct 12, 2019 at 9:39 PM.

?

Who should win?

1. Grin

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Dreamer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Krazy

DR. TEDDY
    Event Host Navigator
    Expand Collapse

ONE PIECE USER TOURNAMENT
    ROUND FIVE
    MATCH TWO

BATTLEGROUND: Sabaody Archipelago

Battle thread will be created for every match happening.
    I´ll give you 48 hours to comments and come up with your own strategy, comebacks etc.
    The votes will be disabled for the first 24 hours, giving you time to post some background to your fight before anyone starts to give any votes up.
    Your vote counts only if you vote in the poll and comment with your reply down below to confirm you vote. Don´t forget to tell us why do you vote for person X.

THE WINNER PROCEEDS TO THE FINALS AND THE LOSER WILL BATTLE FOR THE THIRD PLACE AGAINST THE LOSING OPPONENT IN MATCH TWO OF THE ROUND FIVE.

User: @Grin
    Name: Warbringer Garm
    Race: Giant
    Main: Swordsman
    Weapon: GREATsword (and that's pretty big for a Giant) + 3 kairouseki bullets

Stats:
    ATTACK (30)
    DEFENSE (40)
    STAMINA (30)
    SPEED (0)
    AGILITY (0)

Skills:
    Kitsunebi-Ryu (Level 3)
    Life Return (Level 2)
    Art of Weather (Level 1)
    Soru (level 2)
    Geppo (Level 2)
    Kami-e (Level 2)
    Rankyaku (Level 2)

Haki: Armament (Level 3), Observation (Level 3).
    Devil Fruit: Suna Suna no Mi, the Sand Sand Fruit. Type: Logia

VS

User: @Dreamer
    Name: Evie
    Race: Human
    Main: Fighter
    Weapon: Metal Staff + Melee Weapon Kairouseki Tip

Stats:
    Attack 20
    Defense 10
    Stamina 15
    Speed 25
    Agility

Skills:
    Martial Arts Lvl. 3
    Rope Action Lvl. 3
    Soru Lvl. 2
    Observation Haki Lvl. 2
    Armament Haki Lvl. 3
    Life Return Lvl. 1
    Jao Kun Do Lvl. 1
    Rankyaku Lvl. 1

Devil Fruit: Mera Mera no Mi

2. Grin

Keymaster
    Member of the Year 2016 Shichibukai
    Expand Collapse

If you go for Meta Mera attacks from distance, I can block it easily with Sand (not flammable) or Kitsunebi-Ryu (cuts flame, as shown by Kin'emon.)

If you decide to come in close, I'll use Observation Haki to find the optimal timing and activate SHIN SENSO NO SHIHAISHA AURA: SHI NO SANGATSU UTA (TL note: This roughly translates to "True Ruler of War Aura: Three Poems of Death".)

Much like SENSO NO NINAITE AURA, this technique involves Garm creating a sand storm around him through Suna Suna no Mi's power. He then uses Kitsunebi-Ryu to turns parts of the sand into sharp glass. As a bonus, we'll add three Haki-imbued Kairoseki bullets. The chance of them hitting you isn't very big, but the longer you spend in there the more likely it is. And hey, if they were for a Giant-sized gun...? It's hard to see, it's hard to breath, you're being cut from all sides. Feel free to use your Logia to get you out of this, and I'll strike you down with Haki-imbued Kitsunebi-ryu.

With Soru, Geppo and Kami-e, I can float up to the sky and rain the storm upon you. Soru and Geppo give me a nice headstart like Saji's Sky Walk, and with Kami-e I can mold my sand form into a thin layer of sand that floats easier and is harder to see. I call this technique VERMILLION RAIN. Once the mass of sand/glass rains upon you, you can burn it with Mera Mera and get more glass falling. Or you can melt that too and have a rain of molten glass, too. Either way, it wont be a day on the beach.

I do have more ranged options up my sleeve. With a flame-powered rankyaku, I'll throw Haki-imbued glass blades at you. With a kick, I'll make an arc of sand, burn it into glass with a swing of good ol' Kitsunebi, and imbue it with Haki for a crescent shaped blade of death. I'm a 12 meter tall Giant, by the way. That's a big leg, and thus a big Rankyaku. The name of this technique is: WANGETSU SHIKYO KATTĀ! (TL note: This roughly translates to Crescent Death Cutter.)

My Stamina is twice as high as yours. If this comes down to us spamming ranged moves, you'll run out of juice first.

Yumavo Cado, Marco Polo and Kia like this.
  3. Dreamer

I'm more like a stone than a snowflake
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

Woah, sandstorm wasn't mentioned in today's weather forecast!

But I'm not going just to stand still. When Garm send his glass-sandstorm to me, I will coat my legs with Armament Haki and use Rankyaku to cut off his storm and at the same time do some damage to him. When Rankyaku has cleared me a safe road, I use Soru to get near Garm and then I use my speed, agility, Life Return (to lighten myself) and Sabaody's bubbles to I get to level of his face. Then I again coat my legs with Armament Haki and use Jao Kun Do to kick his face multiple time so quickly that he doesn't have time to use his Observation Haki.

If Garm is going to strike me with his sword or Wangetsu Shikyo Kattau, I use my Observation Haki to dodge them.

After kicking Garm's face, I will land and retreat to the nearest forest where trees gives me some protection from pieces of glass. From there it's also good to hit Garm with my Rankyaku and then hide again behind trees.

Marco Polo, Kia and Grin like this.
  4. Grin

Keymaster
    Expand Collapse

You know, I really love your ability to present your argument in a coherent narrative, like if this was a written story. Someone really should write the whole thing out in that manner when it's all done.

As for me, well... I have a very unpleasant way of playing this game. It's not so much Garm's technique as it is mine. I call this one "Rule Shark".
    You guys are so proud of your dodge ability, but the Attack stat is not solely for dealing damage. It also has the clause of being able to hit your opponent. If it is your Speed you're relying on, my Attack is not much worse off. Our Observation Haki is equal, so there's no point putting much stock on it. They cancel eachother out.

Then, here's the kicker: (Get it? Like Rankyaku, haha.) Your attack stat is half my Defense, so your Rankyaku wont hurt me all that much. We can add Armament to that if need be, but it's probably enough on its own to mitigate most of it.
    If you want to hide, I welcome your efforts, but dispatching of forests and bubbles is not as tough for me as it is for you.

With your pitiful defense, all it takes is a few good hits or wearing you down (I know I'm repeating myself, but Stamina Stamina Stamina) and you're done. Your tickle attacks wont put me down in time, and if I take it to the sky with Geppo, your kairoseki tip wont save you.

Marco Polo, Kia and Dreamer like this.
  5. Dreamer

Navigator
    Expand Collapse

You know what they say: "Fists don't hurt if they don't hit". That's why I'm proud with my dodging ability.

So we are having fight in the air, huh? Fine with me. I use again Sabaody's bubbles and my agility to get same height with Garm. If he tries to strike with his sword, I use Soru to dodge and run along his arm to get near his face. Then I throw a fire ball inside his nostril. When people get hurt, they usually covers the injured spot with their hand and express aloud their pain. When Garm opens his mouth, I leap inside his mouth. There I knot my rope between his teeth, so I won't fall down his throat. Then I will turn into fire and burn his mouth!

How's your defense now, Garm?

6. Grin

Keymaster
    Expand Collapse

#6 Grin, Oct 13, 2019 at 2:22 PM
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019 at 3:56 PM
    Yeah, and like said... that's no such a big deal when your dodging ability does not exceed my accuracy by that much. Your Observation Haki does not help there, I can predict your prediction which you'll predict etc. etc.

What bubbles? I'm pretty confident in my ability to destroy them.

Brave idea, but ultimately a foolish one. Does sand burn? I'll just choke you to death in a sandpit of your own making. Such insolence.

Edit: I was writing this at work and forgot to mention a few things that you may be concerned with, but allow me to explain them:

"You cannot see inside yourself"

Actually, I can. While I did say that Observation Haki does not provide much help in dodging, it still has the occasional use in characters using it to scry other places, or even through walls. I can see you alright, breakfast.

"If you drown me in sand, I'll burn it into glass"

Then you can drown in glass instead. I'm not sure which is preferable, having sand in all your orifices or having glass cut you into ribbons.

"I'll use Armament Haki"

That's true, you can hit me with Armament Haki even though you can't burn me. But can you keep hitting me while being engulfed and buried alive? I'm also pretty sure that you can't use Haki on your flames. If you can, then I'll use Haki on my sand to make sand that wont turn into glass.

Oh, and one more thing since you're inside my body. I have access to Life Return, the ability to manipulate my body. I'll just pop off the tooth you tied your precious rope to, and then we can have some real fun, snack.

Kia and Marco Polo like this.
  7. Krazy

DR. TEDDY
    Event Host Navigator
    Expand Collapse

VOTING IS OPEN! 24 HOURS LEFT!

8. Dreamer

Navigator
    Expand Collapse

Okay. I regocnize a bad plan when I execute one.

So time to get out of this place. I use my Martial Art skills and Rankyaku to create a whirlwind inside Garm's mouth in order to protect myself from his sand. When his head turns into sand, I use Soru to escape. Then I use Rope Action to get down like a mountaineer and when I land, I retreat temporarily because I have an another plan!

There's lots of bodies of sea water in Sabaody, so I when I feel that wind is blowing towards Garm, I settle myself near the largest body of water I could find and then I use my Devil Fruit powers to vaporize it. Wind will spread it towards Garm and if he tries to turn into sand, moisture of water vapor will prevent his sand body for decomposing. He can try to use his sword to slash off vapor but Sabaody isn't a island, it's a forest on the sea, so I'm not short of vaporizing water.

When Garm's body has become solid, I use Life Return and Soru to get near him. Then I use Rope Action with a climbing hook to fasten my rope to Garm's clothes and then I climb and use my agility to swing myself to his arm. Once I'm on his hand I use my Martial Art skills and metal staff to break his fingers, so he is going to have difficulties to use his sword. The same method awaits his second hand.

Grin, Kia and Marco Polo like this.
  9. Marco Polo

「DREAM STATE」
    Administrator Member of the Year 2018
    Expand Collapse

So I think Evie is a very strong fighter and certainly has a lot of nifty tricks and also the superior Devil Fruit, but Garm’s counter strategies as well as his physical prowess have more than compensated for Evie’s speed advantage, and he’s got ways of counteracting her fruit abilities.

I have to go with the Rule Shark on this one, but this is probably the best fight I’ve read from this year’s UT. Congrats to both of you!

10. Kia

Kia
    *content could be coherent*
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

Honestly I just want to keep reading. Is that wrong? Can you guys keep going before I make my decision?lol This is way too much fun to have it end now. I mean, Garm is overpowered and skilled but Evie is super smart and tactically minded. This hurts. I’m going to think about it some more and get back to you. My mind is battle fried. ^_^

11. Grin

Keymaster
    Expand Collapse

Ah, there's still time?

While you're falling down into my stomach because I cut off your rope with Life Return? I don't have to use my own head to create sand. I'm Logia, I can generate a bunch of it. And you know, 12 meter tall giant and all that. There's a lot of space inside me, so without a rope attached to anything and no Geppo, you'll find it difficult to maneuver your way out. I can deny your attempts to catch a rope with Life Return. I'll manipulate my body and make you slip.

Not to be boring, but see above. To be less boring, let's say, hypotethically, that you could escape. Moisture is not a problem for me. If you remember, Crocodile could dry up people, so I'm sure with my big giant hands I can just slurp up some wet air too. DF users are weak when submerged in water, not splashed by it, so that's not a problem either.

Therefore, as I'm not solid, you can forget about your little Veikka Gustaffson act. Maybe if you try in spite of the absence of moisture I'll slurp you up with a combination of Life Return + Logia form. Your Armament does allow you to solidify a part of me, yes, but that's a pretty small area with your staff or limbs. The surface area that isn't solid will still swallow you up. As for the also hypotethical act of breaking my hands, I think you forgot about RULE SHARK: 40 defense beats 20 attack, and there's Armament Haki as well.

Guess it's nice to have such sweet dreams pass by your eyes while you drown in a grave you dug yourself, Evie. But don't worry, you wont be lonely in there. I'll put my next opponent in there too.

Kia likes this.
  12. Kia

Kia
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

There’s still a few hours left, yes.

Oddly enough this wasn’t the case with Crocodile’s ability as presented. Or he was too stupid/didn’t have the observation Haki to put his hand out and absorb the water before it could limit him? Water/moisture was clearly shown to be his weakness. Technically you should both have a handicap because I’ve been submerging the area in water and those tidal waves screwed the pooch. But it would’ve helped Evie even more. I guess we’re ignoring that though—as we should.

Regardless, the moisture thing is a brilliant tactic. Too bad Evie didn’t do something else (I thought of a way) to get out as you mentioned:
    Valid points here. There’s still time but it’s looking like Garm might’ve digested poor Evie if she didn’t actually make it out to use that highly effective water technique—I can’t tell. :(

Such a great battle!

Grin likes this.
  13. Grin

Keymaster
    Expand Collapse

Well, the problem here is that Crocodile is human-sized, so a bucket of water will soak him completely. Minor amounts of water aren't enough to completely soak me, so by supplying excess sand (Logia generates as well, not just transforms user) I believe this is possible. You did mention Observation Haki, so that cuts out the "well you don't have time to".

Yes, moot point. Unless @Krazy wants to turn the battle into 4-way fight. That might be a fun idea for next time, actually. No official teams, but you could decide to work together or team up on the strongest guy together, like you might see in WWE or something.

Yeah, I want a valid method of escape before I'll accept that water thing happening to begin with. I was mainly addressing it for the spirit of the competition.

Kia likes this.
  14. Krazy

DR. TEDDY
    Event Host Navigator
    Expand Collapse

Good fight on both sides,you did a good job. Hope you had fun.

THE MATCH IS DONE!

@Grin wins with 1:0 votes and proceeds to the final round. Congrats.

@Dreamer will fight for the 3rd Place in the Round 6.

Grin likes this.
  15. Kia

Kia
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

Dang I thought there was another 2 hours. My bad. Congrats! I would’ve voted. Great fight guys. ^_^

16. Yumavo Cado

big bear steamin’ hams
    First Mate
    Expand Collapse

I also thought there was still time to vote, I think the voting got closed two hours early. In any case, this was a fun battle, I really enjoyed reading both participants' strategies, and great writing! Garm, prepare to get lotioned up.

Marco Polo likes this.
  17. Dreamer

Navigator
    Expand Collapse

Welp. It was fun as long as it lasted. Congratulations, @Grin :smile:.

18. Grin

Keymaster
    Expand Collapse

You've still got one fight ahead of you, against Kia. Good fight.

Dreamer likes this.