1. As a final farewell gift to our beloved creator, we're planning to make a "thank you" video. If you'd like to be involved, you can read more here.
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

OPF Community Based Story (YOU CAN BE THE HERO)

Discussion in 'Writer's Corner' started by Skivar, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Nerbs

Expand Collapse

@Skivar You're such a great writer! You could totally make this into a novel! :D I was going to ask about a map but @Danny already started on that! :)

It took me 2 days to get through the Tournament Sage! I'll just leave this here and continue reading tomorrow. You've kept yourself busy! ;)
    I love the banter between Tony and Cade. I also laughed at the Forest Gump and the Zelda reference!
    Ch. 5 was incredible! Hana is soo badass! I am glad Phantom beat her though! He'll make a great Kingsguard! :D
    I also like Mapache, she's pretty badass too!
    Owl makes an awesome king figure!

Wisconsin.....We have bagged milk hahah

Okay, I'd like to make a character if that is alright :)

Name: Nerbs

Appearance:
    Kind of short, Dark purple and blue hair, big green eyes (I might draw a character sketch later)

Backstory: Her parents were victims in a small post war conflict when she was 12. Up until the incident her Father taught her how to scavenge and survive off the land and to defend herself. After her parents died, she took over the family bar and manage to support herself. She's sweet, but fierce enough to keep the peace among her customers and is knowledgeable of everything happening on the streets. She enjoys her stable life but is also a dreamer with a wild imagination.

Role: Where ever your creative mind see fits :)

Weapons/ Skills: Hunting rifle and throwing knives. Great bartender.

Feel free to make any changes :)

Red and Grin like this.
  2. G12

G12
    Golem masterrace
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

damnit so close xD

3. Skivar

First Mate
    Expand Collapse

I've never seen Forrest Gump and don't think I intentionally did a Zelda reference; out of curiosity, what were the references you noticed?

Also your character is exactly what I needed for an upcoming chapter and I'm glad I'll be able to use a reader-made design vs a custom. You'll be appearing soon enough and I hope the story is still hype when you reach that point :)

4. Cosmos

Ms. Owl
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

Just finished reading these past chapters! :blush: OMG I actually exist XD

I like the adventure And love how the story is going!
    More?

Nerbs likes this.
  5. Skivar

First Mate
    Expand Collapse

Yass :D I thought I had lost as a reader since you hadn't replied in a while. Glad to see you're still enjoying the story Cosmos and your appearance is coming up ;)

6. Cosmos

Ms. Owl
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

I enjoy reading it as always, although I may take a few breaks when I lack the time.

I do kind of look forward to it.. :flushed: if I may say so..
    What'll happen to hanna though?? :dizzy:that wound ca kill her!

Skivar likes this.
  7. Nerbs

Expand Collapse

The quote "Mama always said, Life is like a box of chocolates, never know what you're gonna get" is from Forest Gump. It's a good movie :)
    I'm a big Legend of Zelda fan. The reference was breaking pots to get rupees. In the games you can collect rupees by breaking pots or cutting up the random tall grass. There are running jokes that Link can't help but break pots and jars even though in a real life situation you could just reach your hand in and pull the rupee out. hahaa

Awesome! I'm glad my character is helpful. I'll try to get that sketch out when I got the time :)

Skivar likes this.
  8. Skivar

First Mate
    Expand Collapse

OH! I gotcha now. Yeah Cobain put that as a quote his character says, but I wasn't sure where it had originated.

Dang I had forgotten about that XD Nevermind; this one was intentional :P

Sweet! I look forward to it.

Nerbs likes this.
  9. Nerbs

Expand Collapse

I figured it was. ;) It was the only point in the story where rupees were mentioned hahah Made me laugh!

10. Cosmos

Ms. Owl
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

when is it due? I want more.. I'm bored
    I see we'll get along as well in this story :blush:

Nerbs likes this.
  11. Skivar

First Mate
    Expand Collapse

I stalled working on the next chapter as the current saga got split into two. The Bane Saga is chapters 10-14 and the Twighlight Saga is going to be the upcoming one. Currently I'm putting the final touches on planning it out so within the next one or two weeks you should be getting a new chapter.

Cosmos likes this.
  12. Cosmos

Ms. Owl
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

O-one or-r two you say..... :eek: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

13. Nerbs

Expand Collapse

Yes! alcohol can bring anyone together! Haha I may not be a bartender in real life, but I got the proportions to vodka/ soda mix drinks down! ;P

14. Tony

Unknown Member
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

#474 Tony, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    While reading chapter 11:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for comparing me with Legolas :cool:

15. Cosmos

Ms. Owl
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

I think she was comparing you with Gimli.....

16. Skivar

First Mate
    Expand Collapse

The story is currently on hiatus due to me having rl responsibilities to attend to. Aporia will come back full time in a few months hopefully and I may post an occasional chapter or lore piece here and there in between, though I'm not making any promises due to how hectic things are right now. As always, thank you for the support and the story will return with its 3rd season in due time.

17. Skivar

First Mate
    Expand Collapse

"One of Jennivra’s gardeners had been Orion, the legendary hunter who stood guard over the forests of the Old World."

Mapache and Marco Polo like this.
  18. Date Damon

Supernova
    Expand Collapse

Good luck, buddy. And dont forget to give my character a glorious debut.

19. Skivar

First Mate
    Expand Collapse

#479 Skivar, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    Chapter 15: Twighlight Afternoon

Date: April 16th, 1264
    The Kudurat Tree stood hundreds of feet high and was several meters wide in diameter. Branches wove in and out around the tree, into the sky, forming intrinsic layers of thick dark wood. The base of the tree had been caved in to make room for the small wooden home that had been built there: the lair of the woodswitch, Cosmos.

Notvar patrolled the base of the tree, keeping his eyes open for signs of any intruders. Not much happened in the woods, but his mistress had been acting strange these last few days and that was usually a bad sign for things to come. He kept his hand steady on the hilt of his battle axe, just in case. “Notvar!” his mistress called. “Come inside for a moment, deary.”

“On my way,” Notvar replied. He took a last weary look outside before walking inside the wooden house. His mistress, the woodswitch Cosmos, had apparently been drinking again, at least that’s what the smell inside the home implied. Notvar crinkled his nose as he looked at Cosmos, who was still in her pajamas. “Yo. I like potato”

“Yo, I like potato too” Cosmos replied. “I just realized its been awhile since you’ve given me a weekly fact on owls. Why did you stop?”

“Oh,” Notvar said. He had started the practice some months back with a terrible pun that an owl’s favorite subject was Owlgebra. Since then he would occasionally deliver a random fun fact to the mistress in the hopes of brightening her day. He smiled awkwardly at Cosmos, “To be honest, I just forgot ya know. I didn’t figure you’d miss them much and wanted to focus on my guard duty.”

“Fuck your guard duties,” Cosmos snapped. “Gimme a fun fact on owls dammit!”

“Um….” Notvar racked his brains trying to come up with something good. “Oh I got one!” he said excitedly.

“Share!” Cosmos said eagerly. “It’s been too long since I’ve gotten a good pun.”

“Okay,” Notvar rubbed his hands together. “What do owls say when they are happy?”

“What?” Cosmos asked.

“Woo-hoot!” he answered, smiling cheekily.

“Weak,” Cosmos said.

“Oh..” Notvar had hoped it would be good enough, but he sucked at coming up with things on the spot. “I’ll try to do better next time. Especially now that I know you enjoy these puns.” He smiled brightly at Cosmos. “How do you feel today?”

“Drunk as fuck,” Cosmos burped. “Me and Bella had like a bazillion shots of vodka last night. It was insane!”

The leaves behind Cosmos hopped happily in place, indicating her mood to Notvar. “That’s good to hear,” he said. It had been a while since he had seen Cosmos in such a good mood. Being immortal had its perks, but it was a lonely and sad lifestyle when everyone you formed an attachment too died, leaving you to face the world alone. “May I return to my post, outside?

“You may,” Cosmos permitted. “I just wanted to make a bit of smalltalk is all.”

Notvar nodded and made his way back outside. He sighed when he saw the small groove pressed into the base of the tree. It was a small reminder of the ritual that had made Cosmos the Aporian guardian of nature.

Cosmos had been born shortly after the humans had left the Old World. As a babe she already stood apart due to not crying and having strange breathing patterns. Her green eyes remained stubbornly shut and only peeked at the world on rare occasions. Despite the strange behaviour, she seemed physically healthy, at least until she came down with a terrible sickness.

Due to the human race having migrated recently to Aporia, their biology hadn’t built up an immunity to these diseases yet and young children were especially vulnerable. Cosmos had been one of the many unlucky children to have gotten sick.

As her condition gradually continued to worsen, her parents took more and more drastic means to try and save their daughter’s life. Traditional medicine had failed as the human doctors did not know how to combat these strange new ailments and the local races of Aporia were still wary of these new creatures that had showed up one day on their shores. In a moment of desperation, Cosmos’ parents decided to seek help from more mystical sources.

They visited village elders, shamans, gurus, and so forth. Eventually they arrived in the Twighlight Woods in search of a cure for their daughter’s sickness. Using a map gifted to them by a generous local, they made their way to the Kudurat Tree which was rumoured to have been imbued with potent healing properties by the goddess Jennivra. As they examined the tree and picked at its base, a spiritual manifestation of Jennivra appeared before them.

Jennivra explained that the physical realm had been robbed of its nature guardian a long time ago. Due to this position being void, it had become necessary for her to appoint mortals to fill the role as gardeners in their jurisdictional areas to ensure nature continued to flourish. It was a necessary role in a world that was increasingly prioritizing technology over trees. One of Jennivra’s gardeners had been Orion, the legendary hunter who stood guard over the forests of the Old World.

The goddess went on to explain that Aporia was in need of a gardener. Understanding the implications, Cosmos’ parents agreed to let her become gardener for Jennivra if the goddess could save their daughter’s life. Jennivra agreed to the terms and sang her song, chanting ancient verses as air blew through her ocarina.

Green nature energy swirled around the young Cosmos as Jennivra continued to chant, hiding the child from her parents’ line of vision. When the ritual finished Cosmos’ eyes were open as the girl cried happily. Jennivra instructed the parents to let the child live out her youth and let her return to the forest when the time came.

Notvar had heard the story many times from his mistress, but it never failed to tug at his heartstrings. While many would gladly welcome the gift of immortality, it did not appeal to him as a life without end seemed like a boring concept.

Rumbling from ground caused Notvar to stumble slightly. He quickly regained his composure as a large blast sounded from the southmost direction of the Twighlight Woods. Swirling tendrils of black smoke rose to the sky as flames began to lick at the forest. More blasts detonated in the distance around him causing more fires to break out.

Notvar furiously surveyed the damage as the flames continued to grow. He sighed; Cosmos hadn’t been in such a good mood in a while. It sucked that he’d have to be the bearer of bad news and disrupt her peace, Notvar lamented as he made his way back inside the Kudurat Tree while smoke continued to billow from the burning flames.

Date: April 12th, 1264
    Luckily the wound from Plozoh’s katana hadn’t festered Phantom reflected as he watched over Hana’s sleeping body. The others were sleeping at the hotel across the street, but they weren’t his priority - Hana was. Cade’s fast thinking by cauterizing the stab wound had prevented her from falling ill, but she was still having a hard time walking due to the pain. Every time Hana took a step she’d wince in pain from the throbbing wound. He turned to the doctor who was jotting down some notes on her clipboard, “How long do you think it’ll be until she’s ready to travel?”

“Hm… I’d give her at least tonight to rest up before getting back on the trail,” the doctor suggested. “Her life isn’t at risk, but it won’t be very comfortable for her and we’ll want to be a little patient with the stitches or they’ll pop right open.”

Phantom nodded, “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” the doctor replied as she carefully placed her clipboard on the shelf. “My shift is about to end so I’ll be off. Another doctor will be available at the counter if the patient needs any further assistance.”

“Sounds good,” Phantom said as the doctor walked out of the room leaving him alone with Hana and his thoughts. Phantom felt a small ounce of guilt in the back of his head for not having been able to protect her from Plozoh, but he was relieved she was recovering. After escaping from Plozoh the group had managed to traverse its way through the Bane of Skivar. Soon after they had stumbled tiredly into Boota village which was located several miles away from the outskirts of the Bane and found a hospital for Hana while everyone else recuperated from the experience.

Hana stirred in the bed, “What time is it?”

“Around 11 at night. How are you feeling?” Phantom asked.

“About as good as one can feel with a hole in their stomach,” Hana said.

“Fair enough,” Phantom chuckled. “Good to see Orion hasn’t lost her sense of humor.”

Hana gave him a small smile, “I thought I wasn’t Orion, remember? You said to be true to myself as Hana the royal princess of Aporia.”

“Aye, I guess I did,” Phantom recalled. “I like Hana better because she isn’t trying to kick my ass like Orion was.”

“You’re just saying that because I would’ve won that match as Orion,” Hana said.

“I think you’re forgetting I had Orion tied up and being cooked alive,” Phantom pointed out. “When you walked out of those flames, you weren’t just shedding Orion’s skin, you were shedding the chains that had kept your personality trapped for so long.”

“You didn’t know me back then so there’s not much you can compare me to,” Hana said.

“But Cade did,” Phantom told her. “We talked a bit while you were unconscious and he explained to me how much more outgoing you are now compared to before.”

“How is he?” Hana asked, trying to change the subject.

“Quiet,” Phantom said. “I think he blames himself for you getting hurt and Tony losing his arm.”

“I’ll talk to him at some point,” Hana said. “Cades a tough guy, but it won’t hurt to be safe.”

“Aye,” Phantom agreed. “I was surprised at his backstory though. With how cheery he seemed, it would have been hard to guess the type of background he came from. I never had a family which sucks, but it’s probably harder to have formed those bonds in the first place only to have them severed.”

Hana stared at Phantom blankly. “Wait, I thought you said you entered the tournament for your family. Was that not the truth then?”

“I did enter for my family,” Phantom snapped. “But my definition of a family is different from most people’s.”

“What is your definition of a family?” Hana asked.

“That’s none of your business, Hana,” Phantom said darkly. “Don’t question me about my past because it is irrelevant to you and our current situation.”

“Sorry,” Hana apologized quickly. “I was just curious.”

“It’s fine,” Phantom said, his voice softening. “Listen, I’ll just stand guard outside and leave you to rest. That’s probably for the best so I don’t distract you from getting rested up for the rest of our journey.”

Hana watched as Phantom shut the door, leaving her alone in the hospital bedroom. She sighed and cocooned herself in the baby blue blankets the hospital had gifted to her and let herself doze off again. Outside, Phantom made himself comfortable on the floor and kept a silent guard.

It was six in the morning when Cade Walker approached him, “Were you seriously here all night?”

Phantom rubbed his eyes, “Someone had to be.”

“You could’ve asked for help you know,” Cade said. “We’re on this journey together after all.”

“We are,” Phantom agreed. “But protecting the royal princess of Aporia was a job strictly assigned to me. The Owl King wouldn’t like it if he knew I had been shirking on my duties.”

“Well you’re gonna have to take a break from your duties anyways,” Cade said. “Some guy is looking for you. Said he’s met you before and wants to tag along on this journey.”

Phantom perked up, “Did you catch a name?”

Cade shook his head, “I didn’t think to ask, but he said he would wait by the sales area, more specifically by the farmers market”

“I’ll leave Hana to you then,” Phantom said. “After what happened in the Bane, I’m open to having help on this bloody journey.”

Cade grabbed Phantom by his shoulder as he turned to leave, “Before you head off, I gotta ask you something.”

“Ask away,” Phantom said.

“Why did you come back to save me from Plozoh?” Cade asked.

Phantom shrugged, “Hana didn’t want to leave you behind.”

“Aye, that I can believe, but Hana isn’t the one calling the shots on this journey,” Cade said. “You are. So answer my question: why did you stick around to save some guy you barely know even if it meant putting the mission and Aporia’s princess at risk?”

“Because you are a valuable asset to our group,” Phantom explained. “Because you’re a skilled fighter. Because you are an intelligent guy who knows his way around Aporia. Because you’re a human being who deserves some empathy from other people.”

“It wasn’t worth it,” Cade muttered. “Hana got hurt because you guys came back. If Plozoh’s aim had been a bit better, we’d have lost her.”

“Aye, but we didn’t,” Phantom said. “We would have lost everyone if you hadn’t pulled that stunt in the desert with the shuva. You underestimate your own value, Cade Walker. Is Hana important? Yes, but so are you. Don’t overthink the situation more then you have to and be glad you have people in your life who care enough to come through when the going gets tough.”

“Fine,” Cade said halfheartedly. “I’ll let you get going then.”

“Just talk to her,” Phantom suggested as he turned to leave. “If it’s bothering you that much, then open the dialogue and talk things through. I know she’s more worried than so just get the conversation going so you can have some peace of mind. I’ll leave you with that then,” Phantom said as he left Cade standing alone in the hospital aisleway outside of Hana’s room as the white light from the fluorescent bulbs hovered eerily over him.

The streets of Boota village were empty compared to when they had arrived the previous day, but already busy despite the early hour. The town had a healthy farming community and many of the villagers ran other businesses that required an early morning person to keep them running efficiently.

Phantom smirked as he walked past the brothel. The hookers smiled as they jiggled their tits at him while patrons excitedly offered them cash for their services. He might have to give the brothel a visit when the Owl King granted him vacation leave.

Cow poop. The farmers’ market had the smell of cow poop reeking from it. Not just from a single stand, but every stand had the same basic smell of cow poop. Phantom crinkled his nose in disgust as he tried to find a place to stand and wait for his mystery friend. A cow mood mockingly at him when he walked by its cage. Phantom glared at the cow and imagined how many beef sandwiches he could carve from its flesh.

“I see you’ve already made a friend,” a voice said. Phantom smiled when he saw Damon Deterrus emerge from the crowd of farmers. “Its been a long time hasn’t it huh?”

“Aye it has,” Phantom said. “Four years I think?”

“Sounds about right,” Damon said. “I still appreciate you helping me find that dragon nest. I’ve almost finished my research on the creatures and might be able to publish my findings in the next year.”

Phantom noticed Damon’s sword, “Is that dragon bone?”

“It is,” Damon confirmed, patting the sword’s hilt. “I’ve had a good few years in the field and have been fortunate enough to scavenge some personal treasures.”

“You’ll have to tell me more someday,” Phantom said, trying to push the conversation along. “So what did you want to see me for? Cade, the guy you talked to, mentioned you wanting to tag along on our journey.”

“Cade was right,” Damon said. “I figured since we were fortunate enough to be in the same area, I might as well tag along. Interesting things seem to have a tendency of happening around you.”

“Moman and Nuvar said the same thing,” Phantom grumbled. “I’m not sure they can talk though since they spend most of their time hopping between continents. The Old World probably makes the shit I’ve seen look normal.”

“I’ve been hearing rumors lately,” Damon said. “But we can discuss that at a later time. For now, it’s best to get out of this town as soon as possible before more people start realizing who is in your party.”

“Hana..” Phantom said.

“Exactly,” Damon confirmed. “There’s still a lot of bottled up resentment among some living in the Devil’s Fingers towards the Owl King. I did some sneaking overheard that they have plans to pay the hospital a visit early morning before you guys wake up. Shits probably going to get ugly; especially with all the recent rumors going around.”

Phantom frowned, “What rumors?”

“That the Owl King and his enforcers systematically hunted down and murdered the families of the Six Devils,” Damon explained. “People aren’t liking that their king might have punished innocents, especially children, for the sins of their parents.”

“Hypocrites,” Phantom commented. “They stand against blaming innocents, but wouldn’t hesitate to hurt Hana if they could.”

“Hatred blinds people’s judgements,” Damon commented. “We can discuss the situation in more detail later, but for now it’s time to get moving.” Phantom nodded in agreement as the two men rushed back to the hospital.

On their way, they noticed two people, a man and a woman, leading a crowd chanting about a revolution. They spoke of the Schism Wars and how the Owl King ruined Tarsei’s prosperity by cornering Skivar in the Bane and of a black chimera. It was the talk of wolves attacking Kress Village that caught Phantom’s attention. “Is Kress Village by any chance on the way to Twighlight Woods?”

“It is,” Damon huffed as they continued to run towards the hospital. “We’d have to traverse a few extra miles, but it’s close enough that we can make the detour without much trouble.”

Phantom nodded; he hoped Gladis had been able to keep the wolves from wrecking his village. After the tournament they had spoken briefly and Phantom had promised to put in an appeal to the Owl King to send troops over to Kress Village. However, the appeal had been denied due to the tightening of security in Utopia caused by Cobain’s appearance at the tournament. If he could help Gladis while simultaneously completing his mission then that would be perfect.

Cade was sitting with Hana when Phantom and Damon burst into the room. “What’s wrong?” he asked.

“The good news is we have a new ally,” Phantom said, pointing at Damon. “The bad news is that we might have an angry mob coming this way for Hana’s head.”

“Wait why?” Hana asked.

“You have a famous daddy,” Damon explained. “Time to cash in on the perks.”

“Well fuck,” Hana grumbled as she stumbled out of bed. “Alright then. Let’s grab Tony and the others and get out of here before things get too hectic.”

Noise poured in from the open window. “Shit, they’re already here,” Phantom cursed.

Cade’s face darkened when he noticed the couple Phantom and Damon had seen earlier, a man and a woman, near the front of the crowd, “We’re going to have our work cut out for us. The man and woman in the front are among the most savage fighters to have survived the Nega War: Garand Akar and Cethine Isis.”

Date: August 18th, 1200
    Cobain pushed the rubble off of him and surveyed the damage: Aestreya was in ruin. He had hoped to arrive in time, but the city had been completely annihilated. The earthquakes had beaten him here and now the capital of Aporia was gone along with the last member of the royal bloodline for no one could have survived this. He had hoped nature would show mercy, but it had been unbiased in its ruthless execution of Aporian society.

Reports were already pouring in from Cobain’s contacts of panic around the continent. The sudden removal of an organized society had stirred the citizens into a frenzy. Fingering his ping-pong paddle, Cobain pondered his options and groaned when he realized what he had to do: convince the Ancients to step in and help calm the situation.

It would be easier said than done, however. The Ancients hadn’t played an active role in Aporian society since they had escaped the Old World. Ideally, they would look around them and realize that action was required, but Cobain knew from past experience to not put much faith in the elders that watched over Aporia.

The Ancients wouldn’t be happy to see him again, but he knew he had no choice. There were a few amongst them he suspected could possibly be stirred into action. Their society’s balance depended on a quick re-implementation of a leadership structure and indirectly on Cobain spurring the old fucks into action. Cobain took one last look at the now destroyed Aestreya and pocketed his ping-pong paddle as he set out into the ruined landscape of Aporia to confront the Ancients.

Author's Notes
    - @Date Damon = Damon Deterrus
    - @NOTVarun = Notvar
    Fun fact: originally the couple seen at the end of the Phantom/Cade/Hana scene was supposed to be Cade's parents, but I retconned that due to a future plot point, but figured I'd share to let you guys speculate :P
    Special thanks to @Red @Grin @Marco Polo for proofreading the story.
    I hope everyone enjoys this chapter. My real life situation is still hectic af, but I'm gonna try to post a chapter on a semi-active status. Since this is the first chapter I have written in a while I'd really appreciate some feedback (even if its harsh) so I know whether or not the story quality is still up to par as I want to deliver a quality product to the community.
    I'm also going to steal Marco's idea and start a subscriber list for readers. Basically how this will work is if you're interested, I'll tag you every time a new chapter is posted so ya'll don't miss the content.

As always, thank you for the support and enjoy! :)

G12, Twelve, Christina Choi and 4 others like this.
  20. Grin

Keymaster
    Member of the Year 2016 Shichibukai
    Expand Collapse

About time, bastard. Safe to say I'm nothing short of overjoyed by the return of Aporia. Henceforth, Bporia is now cancelled.

Also @Cosmos will probably be very happy to read this one.