1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Rate the last film you watched

Discussion in 'Media' started by frankiej, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Deathbloke

voi-bloody-la
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I'm going to spoil Spider-Man: Far from Home just for you^^

2. R1pp3r D. Pervert

Unofficial forum mod
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

what's so wrong with spoilers... i <3 spoilers..

[​IMG]

Kia likes this.
  3. R1pp3r D. Pervert

Unofficial forum mod
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

'Avengers: Endgame' shatters records with $1.2 billion opening

4. Marco Polo

#TeamZornji
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

#1404 Marco Polo, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Having re-watched portions of the movie, and having spent a lot of time thinking about MCU films after seeing Endgame, I think this score was a bit generous. I'll tell you why here:
    • The plot was full of holes that I didn't really think about first time around
    • The Carol Danvers we watch is nothing like the Carol Danvers that the other cast members are describing to us - we're shown this ass-kicking, stoic, "I don't take no BS" character (which is absolutely fine), but when the Kree army describe her as the stereotypical "over-emotional woman" and her best bud at home describes her as the cool aunt with a heart of gold, there's a big ol' identity conflict going on there. Carol struggling to find her identity because amnesia is okay, but the actual script writers don't know her identity. The writer of the comic, however, does know what Captain Marvel is, and Larson's version certainly embodies this spirit
    • The "let's have everyone else describe Carol" method of character development takes away the opportunity for Carol to really cement herself as a future poster girl for the franchise
    However, that's not to say that I don't like it any more, I think there was a lot of good things about the movie:
    • Brie Larson and Samuel L. Jackson's on-camera chemistry
    • The moment Captain Marvel "awakens" to her powers and to herself is great - sure, it's cliche but the way they recontextualise the memory fragments is where the movie peaks and its message made incredibly clear. Her confidence is no longer to compensate for a lack of anything - for the first time in the movie, it's genuine.
    • NO ROMANCE ARC - it's a trope in standalone MCU films for there to be a love interest - the only standalone film before this one that doesn't have a romance arc is Thor: Ragnarok. Because of the message this film wanted to send re: female empowerment, staying away from a romantic subplot was the best thing they could have done.
    I'm not going to re-score the film, but if I were to rate it now the rating would be lower. Not much lower, mind you

5. Kia

Kia
    All about amare, anima, and anime.
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

I can agree with the rating of 9.5/10 I didn’t bother giving one after I watched it opening weekend since it had already been rated and discussed SO MUCH.
    So I don’t see the problems that you’re describing. Here are the reasons why: it’s completely possible to be ALL of those things. In fact, it’s necessary. So I feel that the first film did an amazing job of highlighting how Danvers dealt with the identity crisis, the underlying strength of character shining through whilst being brainwashed and then finding herself. The ability to be emotionally vulnerable and develop as she did, to have to rely on nuanced expressions of self and exploration—examinations of self that we all should be doing (really how much do people take the time to get to know themselves?). To question how much of her very personality, memory, strength was her own then determine what she would combine and coalesce from the differing experiences throughout her life to crystallize into the being that is Captain Marvel and her true self. That’s magnificent. It took all the negativity, the demeaning aspects, the uplifting comments, the doubt, the memories, all of it to bring her to that moment. We are the sum of our experiences and I believe they showed the strength and truth of that quite well. Sometimes one can’t truly see their own worth and strength without having been reflected and tested, challenged for no reason other than who and what they are. Or, yet again, this is my life experience filtering my perspective highly. ^_^

Iki Hotaro likes this.
  6. Marco Polo

#TeamZornji
    Expand Collapse

See, I agree with you but the problem for me was that Danvers’ persona was very one dimensional, and it didn’t change when she got her memories back. She may well have been all of the things people said about her, but aside from the “I don’t even know who I am” moment she came across as stoic, brash and very self-assured. The emotional vulnerability doesn’t come across as well as it could, which is a result of her persona but at no point would I describe Danvers as “over emotional” as the Kree soldiers suggested - we only get that one real outburst. Again, I have no issues with the character itself but the discrepancy between how she acted and “how she acted” was a little jarring. The only real justification I can think of was that “the Kree told her that to keep her power in check”, but a) they had that power controlling device on her (which ended up being removed through metaphor) and b) the lie isn’t that believable when you see how Danvers acts

There’s almost a moment of “kindness” after she punches Jude Law into a rock, but instead of following it through they decide to go for laughs by having her drag him across the desert, which kind of soured my feelings about that fight (I loved the “I’ve got nothing to prove to you” line). Had she actually helped him up then the problem would be non-existent since it demonstrates huge growth but alas, we didn’t get it and for me the problem remains. There’s also the issue of her potentially doing a genocide when she flies through the ship near the end but because it fits with the “actual” Captain Marvel persona rather than the Captain Marvel we’re told about I’m not too bothered about it.

All being said, I don’t dislike the MCU Captain Marvel by any means, and I think the inevitable Captain Marvel 2 has a lot of room to flesh out the character, who I personally think was a little rushed because they had to tell her entire story in one movie so she’d be ready for Endgame. Interestingly, the reason I brought this all up was because of something I noticed during my rewatch of Endgame, but since I’m not reviewing Endgame in this post that’s a rant for later.

Kia likes this.
  7. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

Right and I’m not trying to debate you here. My point was that I saw the traits that you’re saying you missed in her. I could see her letting her anger & frustration get the better of her. I could see her being lost and confused once the memories started to flow. Like yeah, she thought about helping him up but she chose to close the door on that chapter of her past and not give him an opportunity to misread her kindness. Or that’s how I took that scene. I see/hear your perspective and that’s cool. I’m curious about what your Endgame thing was though, PM? or I guess I could be patient (ah what’s that?!). Like I didn’t think the movie was all feminist or whatever (there was so much jabber about it before it came out that made it sound like it was a huge thing that I expected a lot but I didn’t see anything other than normal life experiences), I thought it was just a movie about being a person. But maybe I related so strongly to her because my experiences have been similar since I’m a part of so many “other” categories, and that’s why I easily saw the nuances, who knows? ^_^

Marco Polo likes this.
  8. Booker

Not A Member
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

The lack of Detective Pikachu in this thread is close to a sin.

Defenitely not the best movie story wise. Relatively easy to predict the twists and the general plot isn't that orignal either. Not to mention fast pacing that doesn't give much room to breath. The supporting cast could be a bit better and more fleshed out, too...

but the main characters, played by Smith and Reynolds, are more than capable of carrying the movie on their own!
    The world is extremely immersive, having a breathtaking amount of detail put into it and it just feels right. Not to mention that the few moments in which the world works on it's own just feel fantastic. It really feels like the world of Pokémon and not our world with Pokémon slapped on.
    Not to mention the animation, especially Pikachu's.

Normally a 6ish/10, but for everyone who grew up with Pokémon, easily a 7-8/10.
    Defenitely worth a watch and putting money into it now by going to watch it, might lead to (even) better versions of something like it in the future.
    (I saw it in english, no idea how it carries over into the language of your choice)

9. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

Well I’m going to see it tonight so there’s gonna be more—opening weekend plans fell thru! ^_^

10. Booker

Not A Member
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

In that case: enjoy ^^
    It's defenitely a fun ride and really good, especially in the moment, when you don't have time to have that ruining "wait a moment, how did that..."-thought.

Kia likes this.
  11. Marco Polo

#TeamZornji
    Expand Collapse

The only reason anyone thought Captain Marvel was some kind of “feminist agenda” was because there was a woman in the lead role. Her story is fundamentally the same as Captain America’s in his first solo movie (my favourite MCU film btw), but told through the lens of a very different character. Her story is also very similar to Thor’s in Endgame and just about any other “never give up” kind of movie. I personally love those kinds of films, and to have one with a female lead is very cool and I can imagine it’s very empowering for women in the same way a film like Black Panther was for the black community (especially Marvel’s black female audience). Hell, I really enjoyed Crazy Rich Asians because in a lot of ways, it was like seeing my family on screen (dynamics wise, not owning all of Singapore lol), and if Marvel ever released an Asian superhero movie I’d eat that up so hard. Certain people don’t understand the effect that representation has on those who are finally being represented, and because such a big deal was made out of “Marvel’s first female lead” and because the person cast in that role is quite openly feminist it immediately becomes “SJW agenda” when it really isn’t.

Kia likes this.
  12. Deathbloke

voi-bloody-la
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Get ready for Shang-Chi then

13. Marco Polo

#TeamZornji
    Expand Collapse

Oh yeah I heard that’s in the works, very exciting

14. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I have no expectations since I wasn’t a Pokémon person and my pikachu exposure was basically seeing VW beetles dressed up as him driving around town until I started going to cons. But I love Ryan Reynolds so it should be fun. Yay pikapool and date night. ^_^
    Prexactly. Representation is a simple thing that is so hard to understand sometimes. And then people wonder why we get butthurt when Bradley Cooper says he’s going to remake Mahogany with Lady Gaga. I mean why is that necessary? But anyways, moving on. Thanks for the reminder that I really wanted to watch Crazy Rich Asians! ^_^

15. Deathbloke

voi-bloody-la
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I wonder who's going to get cast since the role will require so much training in martial arts.

:yuno:
    I can't blame you though, you're 15 years older, so I forgive you :P

16. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

Hey! I just learned how to play Pokémon TCG and actually wanna play, just haven’t found the time to do so with the one person I know who has cards and would play. :P I think I was too busy being into Buffy and all things super goth or dancing on speakers in nightclubs when Pokémon came out, tbh. I’m super eclectic, I might’ve actually still cared about cars and sports big time back then too. ^_^