1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Real world parallels

Discussion in 'One Piece General' started by Urek Mazino, May 13, 2018.

1. Urek Mazino

Expand Collapse

Oda is very great at pulling real world aspects and mixing them into One Piece.

One is just a few of the locations in One Piece and what they are based on.

21ff37c2c0585f25240986dc6f2f07fec087f374_hq.jpg

Also some of the pirates real names are based on real pirates.
    Blackbeard or Marshall D. Teach & Whitebeard or Edward Newgate are based on the real Blackbeard also called Edward Teach or sometimes known as Edward Thatch who we know Blackbeard killed for the Yami Yami no mi.

Newgate Prison was also a famous prison in London during the "Golden age of piracy."
    Whitebeards death is also probably a homage to Benkei ronin who was killed by a volley of arrows but remained standing after he died.

One that was noticed by a friend was that some of Enels underlyings looked like goats and he considered himself a god. A verse from the Bible is "The Lord is my shepard" lol. Which makes sense.

What are some other real world parallels you all have noticed?

KKG, GoldenVenus, Dara and 3 others like this.
  2. Storm chaser

Rock n' Roll
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I knew about the pirates, but didint know about the citys and locations. Awsome, thanks for sharing that.

Bonnie & Alvida have both names based on the real female pirates.

Lol, Enel and his sheeps. xD That was a fun thing to notice.

I think Elbaf has some things that the northern countrys have, or is based on. Also cause they are vikings Im thinking Norway possibly.

The treat that Big Mom got crazy on as a kid, Semla is a real sweet, and that is the Swedish name. Finland has the same treat, but the name is different.

3. Egameca

What´s This ?
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

4. Robin-Senpai Is The Best

I may hate her, but she's good waifu material
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

"Polnareff"..........

5. Dara

Expand Collapse

Very likely considering that their prince's name is Loki, which I believe comes from Nothern mythologies of Asgard etc. Loki is half giant, half god and a mischievous shapeshifter who both causes and solves many problems for other gods with his quick wit. And his children try to destroy the world :D It's fun to see what sort character he'll be in One piece.

Urek Mazino and Storm chaser like this.
  6. Urek Mazino

Expand Collapse

I didn't know Bonnie & Alvida were based on real people.

I never put the Elbaf part together either wow.

That Big Mom one is a surprise. I thought it was just some random sweet with mostly no significance.

Oh wow this got me the only 2 I truly knew were Enel-Eminem & Mick Foley-Spandem. Jim Carrey-Franky is the one I should have known (facepalm.)

I feel so dumb not having put some of these together. They are so obvious yet so subtle.

7. Storm chaser

Rock n' Roll
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I cant really take this seriously tough :--D But it is funny

8. Niosai

Expand Collapse

#8 Niosai, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    _20180606_131738.JPG
    Reading this quote I realized that One Piece somehow has the same story regarding the void history and this is what my theory is about...
    Maybe Oda knows something about the dark age or knows the theories about it - an age no one really knows of or noone ever gets the possibility to know of...
    There is evidence that the ancient civilizations were far more technical advanced, far more intelligent and lived longer...
    But today noone knows about this and there are these people (world government in one piece) who don't want us to know it and try to cover up every evidence (ohara for example)...
    All the people in the one piece world don't know about what happened in the dark age and we lack the evidence to tell for sure...
    There are people who believe in finding the truth and try to find the one piece (the truth) to learn from the ancient civilizations and build up a world where everyone can live in peace and on an even ground...
    But the people on the top don't want this to happen because it's so profitable if the world goes on like this...
    Sorry but I don't have the time to write more about my theory now...
    That's just what I have thought of recently :)

Edit:
    Parallels:
    World government - Illuminati (or how you want to call the secret leaders)
    Nobles - The few people behind all the brands on this planet which are connected to the illuminati
    (Ohara - Library of Alexandria?)
    Library of the Vatican - The freezer in Chapter 906 (a place where all the knowledge gets preserved but only privileged people are allowed to enter)
    Void century - Ancient history
    Searching for the One Piece - Searching for the truth
    Wano countrys people writing the truth on the phone glyphs - ancient stone tables an hieroglyphs we try to decipher
    (interesting: most people close to uncovering the truth get assassinated or just vanish -> pirates searching for the One Piece get arrested and are taken to impel down, where they are almost forgotten by the outside world and eventually die)
    But I can't find a parallel to Roger...there must be a man in our history who had acquired all the knowledge but couldnt do anything with it....on the other side we can't find out about someone like this today, because what he has done probably got covered up...

I think there are more parallels to be found and maybe this is just some sort of coincidence and the world of One Piece is showing us that we should not trust anyone (not the world government for sure) and there are many things that can be taken out of One Piece and connected to our own world to understand and to learn from it (corruption, dreams, etc.) ...
    Nevertheless, Oda does a great job building such a beautiful world like One Piece!

Judgement likes this.
  9. Judgement

Winners never quit, quitters never win.
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Interesting! If you wanna become active here, consider introducing yourself in the Konnichiwa section when you find the time!^^

10. KKG

KKG
    Biggest Kiss x Sis Fan
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Yes,i know Marshall Teach and this name Tatch is related to Blackbeard.
    The one who killed him was a guy called Morgan,but he didn't use an axe.
    The problem of parallels in OP is pirates killed people,and lots of them,not just a rival.
    Pirates were sailors who lost their job when some big war at the ocean ended,without job they formed alliances between them creating a crew and they attacked ships with goods like gold for example,and every people in those ships were normally butchered.
    Oda adapted his story with some real names,but they don't act like real pirates,specially Luffy.
    No pirate leaves his enemies alive,they killed them all:grin:

dreamlovermimi likes this.