1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Religion & Morality in One Piece

Discussion in 'One Piece General' started by Kia, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Kia

Kia
    I resemble that remark
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

This was brought up in another thread so I thought I’d give those interested the opportunity to discuss. In One Piece, religion and morality are broached in various ways. In theory, the Celestial Dragons are the gods of the world and should be worshipped as such. However, we are also shown a few other religious figures such as Mother Carmel whose affiliation before she goes to selvage is unstated and the religious rites of the Giants themselves involve the worship of a deity that is clearly not the Celestial Dragons and the celebration of Winter Solstice. The citizens of Skypeia worship Eneru as a god and the Sky Knight before him. The Shandorans worshipped Nola’s ancestors when they were on Jaya.

With the various religions, what stands out is the overriding message of right and wrong that comes through via the actions of the characters. Oda doesn’t seem to shy away from showing fault in a belief system if it’s causing harm to people. So I’d say that the series is more moral than religious even though there are religions present and some are shown in a good light.

What do you guys think?

2. Admiral Ryokugyu

f(b/{gj/mj|{
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

We've also seen a nun during Law's flashback in Dressrosa arc.

Also those guys who were worshipping Satan when Brook suddenly appeared.

xD i'm sorry but i'll quote Oda once again ( i know i do this a lot, bear with me ).

Oda in his latest interview ( the one you asked me about earlier ) said that he " never uses his manga to send messages ". So i guess he only portrays religions because he wants his manga to include so many different things.

You know what, i also read somewhere that Oda said he went to the shrine before drawing Thriller Bark arc because he doesn't wanna joke with the life and death stuff. ( that arc has zombies and dead people resurrected ) XD

3. Kia

Kia
    I resemble that remark
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

There’s also the stuff that I was saying in the thread that inspired this, about how the OP universe/luck/karma is on Luffy’s side and helps him tremendously in his journey. Conversely, we’ve seen karma work the opposite way for many putting negative energy out there. That, to me, also speaks of spiritual or moral underpinnings.

Yes, I saw that in the interview. He also said that the readers should gave their own reactions/responses. But as people, none of us are without biases and perspectives so even if he isn’t overtly or consciously putting messages into the manga, the biases that he has are covertly and subconsciously being passed on. And that’s what I wanted to discuss, not what is definite and concrete but possible interpretations and extrapolations.

Also, no need to apologize for citing sources, especially the author of the work. ^_^

4. Admiral Ryokugyu

f(b/{gj/mj|{
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Exactly. Moreover, we can't trust Oda when he says " i don't put messages in my manga ". There is no proof that he said the truth, because as a manga author, he wants the readers to understand his hidden messages by themselves. But as you said, " the biases that he has are covertly and subconsciously being passed on ". I agree.

5. Kia

Kia
    I resemble that remark
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Right. So that being said, what are some of the messages or morals that have been seen by some of us? If any.

6. Robin-Senpai Is The Best

As If Floridians Get Cold (cause it's so hot)
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Blood relations are bullshit.

Admiral Ryokugyu likes this.
  7. Kia

Kia
    I resemble that remark
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Right, I see that! Or nurture over nature to take that even further out. It’s who you are not what you are that determines your worth. And you can choose your family. All of those are related, I think.

8. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

That's just him being politically correct, which he has to be in our over-critical society. He has all the right intentions, but can't say what he is doing.

He is even more subtle with his references to Asian religions. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure I recognized Shinto shrines/offerings sporadically. I would also assume Kuina's funeral was something traditional for Shinto practices.

Oda is probably best for his constant emphasis of personal morals driving action. He keeps things very black/white (the lone exception being Pudding, but he made the change to have her pretty much bipolar with each matching the good/evil sides of her).

Most commoners appear to be moral people, but are trapped in an evil world. I'm curious to see if Oda does anything when the liberation finally occurs. Is he going to have people openly celebrate universally? Will people fear the Pirate King overthrowing the Government? Either way, Oda already showed Morgan taking a liking to Luffy, so that's not a problem once a positive story is published.

9. Kia

Kia
    I resemble that remark
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Pudding would be considered closer to multiple personality disorder or a dissociative discorder, I’d say, but yes I see your point there. Although, Ace’s personal morals got him killed. If he hadn’t felt the need to rise to Akainu’s baiting, they would have kept escaping, Luffy likely wouldn’t have collapsed where he did and made himself an easy target needing to be saved. They could have possibly made it to others before Luffy’s energy ran out and then Ace wouldn’t have had to sacrifice himself to save him. Everyone focuses on the died for his brother part but the control your rage part is important as well as far as messages go.

I think he tries to make the general populace moral but at the same time shows the dangers of being sheeple blindly led by government and press to believe everything you’ve told. Because of this tendency that’s been displayed, yes Morgans/the media/spreading the truth would play a critical role in combating fear and gaining support for any type of reform to come. The good karma coming back on him of having the support of the WG kingdoms the PK has aided will be beneficial as well, methinks.

10. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

But that's the beauty of the depth of character development. Ace has always been a hothead. Oda probably worked his way backwards when deciding on the fruit to give to Ace but he had to be something fire/heat related for this key scene in the plot. At least the one thing that's guaranteed is that the protagonists will always have a good reason for what they do even if it is a mistake. Not fearing failure or ordeals is something too many people lack (to be excessively stereotypical).

11. Kia

Kia
    I resemble that remark
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

‘A‘ole e ‘ōlelo mai ana ke ahi ua ana ia. Fire will never say that it’s had enough. It’s equally important as a fiery/passionate person to learn how to direct your flames and know that they can consume you and everyone and everything around you if you’re not careful. Emotions like rage need to be invoked with caution. That’s a lesson as well.

Not denying your point but it doesn’t make mine any less valid either. Not saying his sacrifice for his brother out of love isn’t meaningful or anything but letting rage get the best of you when you’ve been hotheaded your whole life and should have learned better (yes speaking from experience as one with a fiery nature and temper that has needed tempering), well, it’s a hard lesson. I’m not saying fear failure but learn self-control.

Seiryu likes this.