1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Rock, the Lurking Legend

Discussion in 'One Piece Theories' started by Admiral Ryokugyu, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

#1 Admiral Ryokugyu, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Hi everyone

I have finally found the pirate Oda got inspired from regarding Rock.

In chapter 907, Garp talked about a crew nicknamed " Rocks " who were the strongest in that time, he even said the age was theirs. Hina said that they lost their captain. I believe their captain was Rock, just like Luffy's crew is called Straw Hats, Roger crew is called Roger Pirates, Shanks' is Red Hair Pirates ... their crew was nicknamed after their captain.

Oda got inspired from Roche Braziliano, which in English translates to " Rock the Brazilian ". He was a Dutch pirate born in 1630. His pirate career lasted from 1654 until his disappearance around 1671.

Brasiliano1.gif

Rock the Brazilian was a very cruel pirate. He led a mutiny. A munity is a criminal conspiracy among a group of people, typically a crew of a ship, to openly oppose a lawful authority to which they are subject.

In Rock's very first adventure, he captured a ship of immense value. He was once caught and he escaped. He purchased a ship from fellow pirate Lolonois ( Roronoa inspiration ).

Rock was very atrocious. He would threaten to shoot anyone who did not drink with him. He roasted alive two spanish farmers after they refused to hand over their pigs ( reminds me of Kaido boiling Kozuki Oden when he refused to give information, Kaido is a former Rock pirate ).

Now we come to the interesting point. After 1671, Rock was never seen or heard from again. He disappeared. His body was never found. Even to this date, nobody knows what became of Rock. His first mate became a captain. There has always been a debate between these 3 facts:

1- Rock and his men were lost at sea in a brutal storm.

2- Rock was secretly captured.

3- Rock chose to hide and live the rest of his life in anonymity.

Does this third point ring a bell ? For me, yes it does.

" I'll introduce one of the legends which lurks in ONE PIECE World. " -Eiichiro Oda (at Jump Festa )

So i strongly believe that the Lurking Legend is the captain of Rocks, who has been hiding for more than 40 years.

Oda used the verb " to introduce ", which means the character he talked about had never appeared in One Piece manga before.

The certain pirate Shanks wants to talk about is Rock. Shanks came all the way to Mary Geoise to talk in person to the world's Highest Authority. It's a very serious matter. The last time Shanks warned from some pirate, Marineford War happened. I highly doubt he came all the way to talk about Blackbeard again. Oda wouldn't make him such a boring character who's only there to warn people from Teach. Moreover, don't you think that Shanks is powerful enough to stop Teach by himself without talking to the Gorosei about him ?

In Roger's era, it took three legendary pirate crews to rule the seas : Roger, Whitebeard, and Shiki. Rocks Pirates reigned all alone in their age. When Rock appears again, the whole world will be in danger. That's why Shanks chose to warn the Gorosei themselves this time. It's a serious threat. This time, not even Shanks can stop him. Rock started moving, and Shanks probably has information about him being still alive and planning to recreate the crew. Just think about it. He didn't choose to talk to an Admiral or the Fleet Admiral, but to the Gorosei !

Sakazuki refused to intervene in Wano, but what Shanks will say to the Gorosei will push them to order Sakazuki to do that, and he can't refuse in that case. They gotta hit the iron when it's hot.

Well this ended up being longer than i expected. Not that important just wanted to show you the real life pirate that may have inspired Oda to draw Rock.

Thanks for reading !

2. Glaze D. Bacon

The Fool
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

This is a nice read, but in the official translation, it is spelled as “Rox” instead. It can only mean one thing:

5B0EE78F-9B2B-49B5-ABF2-BC6731E86D56.png

3. Chaudfontaine

Chaudius Caesar
    Moderator Member of the Year 2017 YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

it would be nice, a connection between the potential Roronoa Family/Kaido = Wano and the new capitain.

Admiral Ryokugyu likes this.
  4. Pacquiao8

8th Commander of the Straw Hat Grand Fleet
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I do hope that this certain entity has something to do or at least related with the ones who annihilated the Rumbar Pirates. They were in the same generation before Roger so it makes sense.

Admiral Ryokugyu and GoldenVenus like this.
  5. GoldenVenus

Reigning Lord of the Underworld
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

I love that you always have new information to relate to your theories. Seems like you did a lot of research. Kudos to you .

I think this theory is really interesting, since we all know there are a lot of people in OP that are based off real life people. I'm still not too certain, but I won't rule this out. I'm liking it. For Garp - who is already powerful enough - to be worried about their comeback, I believe whoever he was talking about is probably one hell of an evil bastard who'd destroy everything he doesn't like. And strong enough to leave Garp feeling bothered. But since Garp defeated him, I guess Garp is stronger?

I'm still not too sure about who Shanks is going to talk about though. I still think there's a possibility it's about BB, But what you said makes sense too, why would he go all the way to meet with the Gorosei, and not the Marine, to talk about a certain pirate? The way he said it makes it seem like someone very important, and while BB is obviously a threat and all, is he really worth going through all that trouble? Unless he's planning something. But there's a possibility it's about someone else. Someone even more dangerous, perhaps.

And I do think that this mysterious captain is the 'lurking legend' Oda has mentioned too. A legend. It can't be just anyone. I can only think of this 'Rocks' or whoever his name would be.

6. GoldenVenus

Reigning Lord of the Underworld
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

I've totally forgotten about that until you mentioned it. Yeah that would make sense, and it's gonna be interesting, cos if that's true, now there's already a reason for Luffy and his crew to fight him.

Pacquiao8 likes this.
  7. bandurista24

Fifth Emperor
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah i too believe hes the lurking legend. So wano will really be a battlefield. marines, cp0, big mom, kaidou, strawhats, marco, minks, samurai, kidd, law, hawkins this is gonna be awesome. Anyone even thought that Rocks might be the Shogun?

8. Three-sword chef

Expand Collapse

Him being the Shogun would make his disappearance make since. He either quit like Captain Kuro, only better, shutting the borders would ensure his not being found by the government. Or he went covertly to investigate poneglyphs. Since the minks told Luffy that no one but Roger had found their Road poneglyph all this time. This guy may have sensed there was a piece of puzzle missing and learned about Wano's possible connection, and brought in kaido when he finally got tired waiting.

9. Behnam

The one who wants CHOIce
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Great theory! I enjoy reading your theories @Admiral Ryokugyu . They are based on realities and less on possibilities. Since I've read your Black Beard theory too, I can say Oda really likes to inspire the characters from real pirates and it's going to help us to find out which OP pirate is inspired from which real pirate. Those similarities between lurking legend and Rock, really made me shocked here. Keep giving these nice theories.

10. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Thank you so much buddy ! That means a lot.

11. Marco Polo

circus act
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

Nicely researched theory!

Oda does like to take inspiration from real life pirates so I wouldn’t be surprised if this were the case again

ROCK NO MUSUKO-DONO

12. Rokuōgan

Expand Collapse

It's great that u could link this to real facts.
    It's a good theory with a real investigation, congratulations.
    However, I think some points need to be clarified :

Since Gol D. Roger was about 55 years old at his apogee, I think it's the same for "Rock".
    In that case, if this guy is still alive, he must be between 95/100 years old. He's probably too old to be a real threat cause he probably lost a large amount of his strenght, like Whitebeard. Otherwise it would be an Elbaf giant with a huge life expect.

It's also clearly mentioned that the real danger could be an alliance between Big-Mom and Kaido and they have continued to increase their strength and influence since that time.
    I don't think these two Yonko would give up everything they've built, just to follow their former captain who came back out of nowhere.

When u say :

That's probably true, but it's always better for him to make an alliance, especially with the world government. It would be more beneficial for them ; the losses would be smaller.
    And Blackbeard may have beaten Shanks once !
    (The three scars)

--------

Personally, I agree with ur conclusion. "Rock" is actually the lurking legend, but I don't think it's the pirate Shank wants to talk about.
    I bet on Blackbeard and his plan of domination or Kaido and his war project.

Anyway, ur theory is pretty cool and u did a great job.

13. General Zoro

Expand Collapse

Nice theory. Will hold on to see if Oda goes anywhere with Rocks in the near future before I decide how much I like this theory or not.