1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Sakura-Con 2019 Experience

Discussion in 'Cosplay & Misc' started by Kia, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Kia

Kia
    All about amare, anima, and anime.
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

So... Sakura-Con was amazing. My cosplays were well-received even though there were so many super experienced cosplayers there. The feeling of people just being like,”Hey, it’s a hot Luffy!” Or “Great meat!” Or wanting to take my picture or OMG check this out... a random couple as I was leaving the convention center who wasn’t part of the con asked for my photo. Okay...but she wanted a picture with me. Like I wasn’t really dressed. I had my trench coat on, the hooves were off. So I got back geared up as the ride progressed and I kid you not, their eyes lit up. That’s how I found out she wanted in the photo. Such a cool thing. Speaking of coolness, because this was the Chopper day, one of the Funimation reps asked to take my picture. I have no idea where that picture is or if it’s getting posted on their social media but that happened. Since I was in the very front of the autograph lines, I saw Ian Sinclair (the English VA for Brook amongst many other people) walk up for the signing and go behind the curtain. His eyes lit up and he smiled. I was like nah, that had nothing to do with me. However, I went first and when I came up he’s totally complimenting me on my cosplay and I’m like is this happening right now? It was awesome enough that Erika Harlacher (Jabami Yumeko) complimented it when I got her autograph earlier but Brook?! Duuude. Which, by the way, I had forgotten he was gonna be there but someone from the cosplay chat gave me a One Piece pillowcase that morning and someone else in Erika’s line asked me if I was gonna see him and reminded me so I was good. Yay universe!
    1E3BB08C-26BD-4153-8CFE-3CB3D18DAF7D.jpeg

Even better, my friend was in charge of social media so she snapped photos and there’s video of us together—possibly footage of the compliment. She’s converting it from slo-mo and resending it to me. I got back in line real quick (okay I jumped the line and he let me) to snap a picture with him for real that she took. Yay for friends!

So I also got to meet Justin Briner the English VA for (lots of stuff) but the series’ I got autographs for were Mikaela from Seraph of the End and Deku from BnHA, Jamie Marchi AKA Rias Gremory gave me some anime recommendations along with the autograph. She’s super nice and pretty hot herself. Erica Lindbeck signed my Mordred and seemed pretty happy to see it. I also went out and had Chicken Karaage for the first time—yum! The first night I had two different kinds of Japanese whiskey. The second was a sherry type. I’ll have to go back and get Sean/Shaun/Shawn to give me the names. He was funny.

I saw so many amazing cosplays. Met so many fun people. Did I mention random people asked for my picture?! Like literally had someone be like “Oh I’m disappointed that I didn’t get your picture the other day when you were Chopper.” So I had her add me on Facebook so she could see pics. Then saw her later and she’s like can I get your picture as Zoro? It was the sweetest thing. People are amazing! Oh when I walked into the convention center on Sunday (Zoro day) Shanks calls out to me for a photo and feels the needs to say “I’m Shanks”. I’m like “yes you are! Hold on, I’ve got sake!” Unfortunately, I didn’t get her name or pull out my phone. Hopefully we’ll connect via one of the Facebook groups and I’ll see the photo. Either way, ‘twas fun.

Okay so here’s the super cool stuff as if the rest wasn’t good enough. Satoshi Shiki’s autograph line. I’m first. They announce no fan art, etc. I pull out my stuff. Staff tries to tell me no fan art and I show them his name on it so they shut up. When I get up there, he gets excited. He has an interpreter but he asks if I went to Japan to get it. I understood Nihon lol. She translates and I’m like no I ordered it off of Otsukai. So he’s super excited and asks if he can take a picture of me holding it. It being the December issue of Champion Red a monthly publication where the first chapter of Dororo to Hyakkimaru-Den was published which he drew. It’s what I posted in the thread previously. Of course I agree. So again, unbeknownst to me, social media director to the rescue is documenting this. He totally fanboyed! Then he gets my name after he signed them and personalized them for me. The next day, there’s a live drawing session with him and of course I was there. We waved at each other. It was great. I got a front row seat so I’ve got video and photos of him drawing Dororo and Hyakkimaru. He didn’t allow photos of him from closer than halfway in the room. He also didn’t do photos when he did autographs. ^_^ <3 I’m so lucky!!

C6E583B8-CA0B-4743-ADD7-9A775B5B6CC7.jpeg

There was a really nifty J-fashion show. Okay there were two but I only made it to one of them. I was at the Promised Neverland special event during the other one. Which, I got the autographs of Emma the Japanese VA Sumire Morohoshi (also from Haikyū and Tokyo Ghoul) and the executive producer Kenta Suzuki (ERASED and some others) on a small poster (they wouldn’t autograph the manga so they had posters they handed out). The panel also included the director and other producer. It was nice to listen to them talk about the making of and see the English dub preview and know for sure they’re working on season 2. They’re so fun and sweet and touched by the popularity of the show. There were tons of vendors and artists. Just so much. I didn’t make it to the raves or the masquerade. Maybe next year.

I did hand out a lot of compliments but didn’t take many photos myself aside from the ones to capture my cosplays. My phone camera sucks and hands were full. However, here’s a few that I did capture.
    D0E2676B-D048-45B6-B882-D41FAFD80F75.jpeg Rin! C65907FB-1052-4E34-9E73-DA33D413885D.jpeg
    Yes, it’s King. He’s really nice. We had dinner a few nights before. Check the full view. 78522604-35D2-4725-BE35-7069597A4B91.jpeg @SprkiSRB check out ya boi
    4AFC0828-4660-478C-B55B-0B5324ADC58A.jpeg She’s awesome. Also cosplayed as Isabella from Promised Neverland. ^_^
    2D5248FE-D227-4AB7-A1B3-FD8E4443F94A.jpeg Here’s what we’re hoping doesn’t come to pass in Wano lol. Those flames though. We’re getting along just fine now.

Anyways sorry for the book! Thanks for reading/looking. ^_^

Cosplay pics are next.

Attached Files:

2. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

PSX_20190423_115759.jpg PSX_20190423_114049.jpg PSX_20190423_112354.jpg PSX_20190423_112240.jpg PSX_20190423_112052.jpg PSX_20190423_111749.jpg PSX_20190423_111526.jpg
    PSX_20190423_111405.jpg PSX_20190423_111058.jpg PSX_20190423_110250.jpg PSX_20190423_110144.jpg PSX_20190423_105942.jpg
    PSX_20190423_105013.jpg PSX_20190423_104821.jpg PSX_20190423_104447.jpg PSX_20190423_104333.jpg PSX_20190423_103423.jpg PSX_20190423_104539.jpg
    PSX_20190423_122530.jpg Can you believe this Perona was excited about my Zoro?! PSX_20190423_095621.jpg PSX_20190423_095345.jpg PSX_20190423_093337.jpg
    Okay here's my actual cosplay photos... the poses may not be that great because I didn't have time to practice them but you can see the outfits and that's the point lol. Oh, they were done by Youkai Neko Photos, edits by yours truly. ^_^

3. Storm chaser

Rock n' Roll
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Omg, your cosplays are awsome! Choppers poses were so cutee. :chopper:

Im glad you had so much fun and made new friends.

Kia likes this.
  4. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Those are all so awesome! I'm happy to hear that you had such a great time! :)
    I'd love to attend one of these conventions (although I am trash at cosplaying so I'd probably just go like a normie just to meet such great people, VA's and whatnot!) But if I ever heard news of Oda coming to one, even if it were a few hundred miles away from me, you can bet your bottom dollar that I'd be there front and center to meet him! ;)

Kia likes this.
  5. Drewan

Bezzy Bomb
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

So nice! Glad you met him and had fun. :grin:

Kia likes this.
  6. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

Thanks! I got really into it as Chopper was supposed to be the only one but then my grandmother passed away and I came up with the other three in a little over a month as a distraction basically. But it was really fun to do them. I apparently love doing cosplay. Who knew?!

And yay for making new friends. If I can’t meet you guys easily, this is the next best thing. ^_^
    Indeed! Thanks. Twas wonderful. I'm excited to share it with you guys. Hope you’re all doing well. ^_^
    Thank you! There’s one at NYCC. My friend went. Firstly, there’s no such thing as being bad at cosplay, apparently. You do what you can and have fun. Also, you can totally show up in geeky shirts and that’s legit. The only thing is that most conventions charge to meet the special guests as an extra fee. Sakura-Con is a non-profit one so those things aren’t extra. That’s pretty wicked, if you ask me. You can always fly out here April 10-12 next year and weeb out. :P There’s bound to be people you’d appreciate.

Storm chaser and Edinbour like this.
  7. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I'll start saving up! I'm sure some One Piece fans I meet would appreciate my tattoo ;)
    I think there's something like Comic Con coming in June that's only about an hour away. I definitely wanna check it out!

Kia likes this.
  8. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

Absolutely! That tat will definitely be appreciated. There was a One Piece photoshoot on Friday and Saturday. I do t remember if I said that. There would’ve been one on Sunday but it got canceled to the dismay of the cosplayers. So there’s always fans around, methinks. There definitely were at NYCC. That’s where my friend got my autographed poster and there was a livestream of Luffy’s VA and Nami’s VA that I watched. Do it!! ^_^

Edinbour likes this.
  9. Marco Polo

“super moderator”
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

The con sounds like it was a hoot and a half, I don’t watch a lot of dubbed anime but I really enjoy Justin Briner’s performance as Cloud in Team Four Star’s FF7 Abridged series so I’m kinda jealous you met him

Your cosplays are dope too, the Luffy one is my personal favourite I think

Kia likes this.
  10. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

It really was! I’m not into dubs myself but I did watch them when I first started which means that my first Brook exposure was dubbed because 3D2Y, Seraph of the End’s Mikaela was dubbed, High School DxD was dubbed... Justin Briner was so full of energy the first day. But the second day you could tell he was worn TF out. He was too nice and let people do as many items as they wanted at first. So he misspelled my name on my item the second day (I followed the stated rules and did 1 per time thru the line so came back the next day). Luckily I had acetone so it got removed easily. D’oh. Also luckily it was Deku and I only saw him as that in the movie—which I did enjoy. ^_^

Also thanks!! Luffy didn’t get much visibility because it was just badge pickup day so I’m definitely gonna do him again (whoa that sounds dirty). He was also the very last one I came up with and the easiest to put on! Of course it was cold as all get out that day and raining lol. I was pretty proud of myself for remembering Law’s spots the morning of, honestly. Like sure I painted the pants, made the heart and built the facial hair from scratch but the spots were my thing lmao. I’m silly and so enjoying the cosplay thing.

Still adding new local cosplay/weeb friends on Facebook so who knows what might happen next year or in between? ^_^

11. Chaudfontaine

Chaudius Caesar
    Moderator Member of the Year 2017 YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

Looks like a lovely weekend. Enjoyment everywhere. That's what makes it worth it!

Kia likes this.
  12. sweetjacky

Missing him :'(
    Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

Great photos! I love your cosplays, they're really creative. And i love your skin colour together with that green hair btw, I think it suits you xD

@Edinbour you should cosplay Condoriano :tearsofjoy:

Edinbour and Kia like this.
  13. 4thBlade

Inner weeb > Responsibilities
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Man. If i ever cosplay, it’ll be King/Sloth. The pillow is so nice.

Kia likes this.
  14. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

Aww thanks! I had fun with them and I’m enjoying the green hair. I shit you not, I got home (still in cosplay) and Karl said my hair looked like moss. I about died laughing. It was too perfect. ^_^

I was thinking of how to make a Clima-Tact, the belt, and a small Zeus to do white dress Nami at the end of WCI for next year. Also patterns/trying to figure out how to knit Carole’s top to be her.

I know, right?! That pillow looks so comfy. My meat was soft but had a hard center so not truly cuddly. I had to make it that way so I could hold it up the way I did. Tbf, I didn’t try cuddling it. I just knew not to hit anyone with it because metal rod.

4thBlade likes this.
  15. Dreamer

I'm more like a stone than a snowflake
    Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

It's great to hear that you have good time in the Sakura-Con and met so many good people.

In my opinion your cosplay of Law was the most successful :).

Kia likes this.
  16. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

That's a great idea! I may not be great at cosplay but I'd try my hardest to have a perfect cos of Condoriano, in his HONOR! :P

Kia likes this.
  17. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

#17 Kia, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Thanks! I actually was told something to that effect a couple of times regarding accuracy. It is/was really touching and means a lot to me! I totally didn’t mean to do a Law cosplay I just wanted the hat which came with the shirt then I started trying to distract myself and got carried away lol. I was SO excited when my hair fit into the hat the morning of and made it poof properly as that had never worked previously. ^_^ Satoshi Shiki’s interpreter for his live drawing session was actually excited about the Law cosplay and commented on it which was cool and kind of embarrassing so I played it off by pulling out the heart and rolling with it because Law wouldn’t blush so I couldn’t either. Chopper was easier because he was approachable and gets embarrassed so I could just do his line and be in character.

Ohhh I saw someone in a Law shirt with a straw hat around his neck and so wanted to ask if he was cosplaying a Law/Luffy ship but didn’t have the nerve to do so. Just like there’s a selfie out there of me as Law, with a Luffy and a Zoro and I want it badly lol.
    I think this would be hilarious and you’d need to find an Usopp. Just saying. Apparently there was one but he didn’t show up to the group photoshoot. ^_^

Also, there was a Foxxy! Someone cosplayed fricking Foxxy! The day I was Chopper—I was scared. They even had a little Chopper mask hanging from their belt. Too funny. There was also a ball Sanji. ^_^ I don’t know if this link will work but here’s the pictures from the shoot I went to and the One Piece cosplayers I saw there that day. https://www.facebook.com/events/935262143344691/?ti=icl

Dreamer and Edinbour like this.
  18. dreamlovermimi

Zoro's Main Chick
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

U are my fave cosplayer!!!!! :chopper:

Kia likes this.
  19. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

You’re making me blush!!

20. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

She only sent me this part in regular speed... but it’s good stuff. Apparently she had to record it while playing it on another device ^_^

Brook video