Shokugeki no Sanji

Discussion in 'One Piece News' started by Admiral Ryokugyu, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Lt. | ArkZ

Balls to the wall, or not at all...
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Your opinion is your opinion, whether I'd be inclined to agree or not.

In today's anime climate, One Piece just hasn't adapted well. Anime is now seasonal, allowing the manga to get further ahead to avoid fillers, even shows like Dragon Ball are taking hiatuses so they can let the Manga get ahead.

Which therein lies the problem with One Piece. Even with it's agreeably slow pacing, recaps and flash backs, it has still caught up to the manga in no time, I believe the anime caught up to the end of the Big Mom arc within about a month of the Manga finishing it too. Which means fillers and finding other means of slowing the anime down.

2. KKG

KKG
    Biggest Kiss x Sis Fan
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I agree with the words in bold.
    Dragon Ball Super is garbage,the power of a sayajin has nothing to do with gods,they should be a fusion between a very strong man and a giant legendary gorilla.
    You would probably die or get tired of anime or manga until One Piece ends.
    The best shounen jumps right now are Nanatsu no Taizai and One Punch Man,nothing really comes close.
    One Piece could be so great but the sheer size of the story is turning it into a mess and it is very difficult to find good shounens.
    I like overpowered mcs instead of weaklings,enemies are created to be destroyed by the mc giving the mc the greatness he deserves.
    I would be crazy if i was a mangaka trying to solve so many problems in a story of this size and it's not complete nonsense to say Oda's story is too big for him to handle.
    I'm 95% sure One Piece will have a poor ending.
    And yes,my opinion is my opinion.:P

3. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I completely disagree here. Other than the B.S. of WCI changes, Oda consistently puts out quality content with every chapter. It may not be action all the time, but there is always plot development that allows for essentially a 1:1 ratio of manga chapters to anime episodes. Considering the likely astronomical amount of money tied to the TV contract, the production staffs do a damn great job (they have never failed on having great animation when there is a major scene). Most people just remember the bad instances where they have to cut corners to make ends meet.
    I would completely disagree here as well. I do have some skepticism hearing Oda is losing his conviction, but don't forget that the original story was only 5 years of manga material. Yes, he has expanded the supporting characters, but the ending is still only the Mugiwara (plus their allies/underlings) against the Government.

Context implies a recency bias from the WCI B.S. As long as Oda sticks to his original plan for Wano Kuni, that alone should get you back on the One Piece bandwagon.

4. KKG

KKG
    Biggest Kiss x Sis Fan
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

The character allways suffer from lack of power.
    The character allways have help.
    The character allways have plot armor.
    The character is noisy.
    All animes with this type of character usually end bad.
    Because fights in a shounen are like tests at school and you need to pass.
    He could be killed at Marineford and now after trainning he is still weak?
    He needs another power?
    Haki is not enough?
    The bad student is the bad fighter.
    Help is one thing,babysitting is another.
    Fights will end allways like Cracker or Mingo or even worse,Katakuri.
    Luffy never defeated him for what i know.
    I can see his life force,i see his will to fight but where are the results of that?
    Oda needs to separate One Piece from the WWE.
    Black Beard and Kaido will not wait for Luffy to evolve and kick their asses.
    And we still have to watch more than 400 eps to see nothing new?
    This formidable ability to get allies just doesn't work.
    How would Oda build a king here?
    He would just gather a bunch of people carrying Luffy to achieve his goals.
    No,if you want to be the PK you need to show to your enemies you can destroy them.

5. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

And that's the whole point of drama (action scenes are meaningless unless there is some sort of emotional source fueling it). People wanted the quick fix of 3D2Y training to put Luffy at a Yonkou/Admiral level, but that would kill the plot of the past few years (as well as the next 0.5-1 years of Wano Kuni). But that's the whole point of Luffy's awakening. It will put him among the elite of the elite and we all get the massive action of Yonkou Wars and the final war against the Government. He will still need help since his crew is only 10 people, but the bond of "nakama" has always been a key point throughout the series. Unless you are completely inhumane, you were and probably will be drawn to that aspect when it gets tied into the climax of the series.

I bash Oda more than anyone here for his first (and hopefully only) major mistake. The guy is human, so expecting complete perfection for almost 30 years is inhumane. We all have our own biases/preferences, but doubting Oda for one mistake in 21 years seems irrational to me.

mysticalflute and Tony like this.
  6. KKG

KKG
    Biggest Kiss x Sis Fan
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I understand your point,but it's because of his nakama he was training in that island.
    He didn't want to loose more nakamas or brothers like Ace,that's why he agreed to train in that island because he wanted to be strong enough to protect all the people he loves.
    And after this i had to watch him fighting with gears that drain his energy and life force without beating anyone by his own and being able to use it at time limit.
    If Luffy isn't ready for fighting he should still be training,there is no point on being protected by the ones he trained to protect!
    Luffy reminds me of Clare of Claymore,Naruto,Son Gohan,Maka from Soul Eater,Ichigo from Bleach,Boa Hancock,Saya from Blood +.
    All these characters were wasted on their animes because action scenes were meaningless unless there is some sort of emotional source fueling it like you said.
    98% of shounen jumps follow that line but their mangakas forget something very important,their main character's development.
    Saitama,Allucard and Dante beat the shit out of their enemies for the same emotional reasons Luffy wants to do it.
    They want to protect the people they loved and they had the power to do it,Luffy doesn't.
    Though Luffy has a strong will to protect his nakama he doesn't have the power he needs to do it and saying this as a fan i think Oda is being cruel with him for it.
    Oda seems to be a mangaka that likes to hummiliate the pride of the main character of his story.
    The excuse is the same as allways:
    Make it bigger to sell more,i'm sorry but for me this doesn't work,he is doing the same thing others have done before.
    Oda follows the same line others do,you too as a fan,overpowered characters are boring.
    If you watched Clare's fights at Claymore anime i would want you to say overpowered characters are boring.
    What makes a good shounen,@Seiryu?
    It's the greatness of the main characters,the ability they have to overpower their enemies alone and make their loved nakama believe them.
    I give you Son Goku,Dante,Allucard and Saitama,everyone believes any enemy can be defeated because they believe in these characters,they can defeat any oponent,not just get more allies.

dreamlovermimi likes this.
  7. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

But he did think he reached the pinnacle after the 3D2Y training (Rayleigh was purposeful in not telling him for plot and maturity purposes; giving all the answers makes for "a boring adventure").
    I would disagree since the number of victories far outweighs the loss to Sentoumaru/Kizaru. He technically did not lose to Big Mom, but it is a "loss" in that we all see how he is out of her league (even he acknowledges it indirectly). Crocodile is probably the best example of Luffy winning something he should not have. Ultimately, I think I understand your gripe and the fight against Kaidou will give you the resolution you want. It will very likely mirror the Crocodile situation in that Luffy is completely out of his league and is forced to figure out a power-up. Unless Oda completely changes his plan, Luffy gets much more direct help against Kaidou, but that's the necessary drama to take down the strongest fighter in the entire world.
    This is naturally different from person to person since we all have different preferences. For me, it is the rationale. Oda keeps all aspects highly rational and often with scientific/historical backing. He is not a scientist, but does extensive research for everything (even the petty details like the inspiration of minor characters).

I do 100% agree that overpowered characters are boring. However, overpowered is relative to the other characters. Yonkou/admirals are overpowered now, but they will not be ~1 year from now. Oda is masterful in that power-ups make perfect sense (not the typical shounen manga dues-ex machina B.S. power-up). Based on the leaked spoilers, this final power-up will fit along the perfection Oda has done previously (my bias is that Vegapunk will power-up the other crew members and probably only the weaklings).

KKG likes this.
  8. servo

Expand Collapse

Unlike me people on OPF take One Piece very seriously and rightly so its a One Piece community I do enjoy OP but I dont dig deep as to think what, why and when I just enjoy the story and read without worrying about deep stuff .... I feel out of place lol

9. gboxrkw

Expand Collapse

I read it, its awesome. would love to see a version of zoro also :)

servo likes this.
  10. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I would say you are just properly reacting. This isn't meant to be anything significant and is definitely more of a ceremonial creation than anything else.

servo likes this.
  11. KKG

KKG
    Biggest Kiss x Sis Fan
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Each one has a way of enjoying animes.
    I can only enjoy it very seriously or i will just see it as a joke.
    Unlike patient people like you i hate the idea of watching a character that screams at every oponent i'm Luffy,i will be PK every single day and when action is needed he is powerless and useless.
    And he is fighting for something,but he is goofing around from island to island loosing time (spamming eps).
    I watched Black Lagoon and it was unique,fantastic concept but they fight for nothing,so the action is pointless.
    Others like OP,they waste a good story with a character like Luffy that doesn't improve,never grows up,never think,the only thing he can do is screaming very loud his objective and fight.
    But he is not even fighting,he is holding the enemies until a thunder can fall from the sky and hit them.
    I believed this anime could be good,but with this animation and art style and the way i see it,it's a waste how it is being killed like this.
    One Punch Man is so much better.
    At least the fights are awesome.
    1 punch,1 kill,no bullshit memories during fights,no plot armor,no plot twists,spam,talk crap,movies that go no where, crossover like crap,and fights don't end there like WWE.
    Brutal powerbomb through the table and even the injuries are fake.
    It's pure action and it's funny too.
    Not an anime to have 1000 episodes but at least it doesn't get me bored.
    Luffy is one of the worst characters in anime history,my opinion only,and i blame his creator for that as well as the shitty studio that is adapting his manga to anime.
    Toei animates using a calculator.

12. servo

Expand Collapse

Yup you are right about that 100%

KKG likes this.