1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Shokugeki no Soma - General Manga Discussion

Discussion in 'Shokugeki no Soma' started by Kyros, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Marco Polo

circus act
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

You can make a thread for it if you want (doing chapter threads on mobile is a pain)

4thBlade likes this.
  2. 4thBlade

Inner weeb > Responsibilities
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

haha yeah. I mostly just browse on mobile.

3. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Part of me wants to quit reading for a few weeks so I can binge some. It's terrible when you have fun reading a series to catch up and then you finally catch up... I don't think the series is action packed enough to justify waiting a week each time. They're kind of dragging things out in my opinion.

Seiryu and 4thBlade like this.
  4. Marco Polo

circus act
    Expand Collapse

So the final battle ended up being as everyone predicted, shocker

5. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

True, but the series has been built on key twists that have made perfect sense. The authors have been cliche a majority of the time (but who isn't), so we'll see what happens 2-3 chapters from now once we get through the cliche build up.

6. menma

Uncle
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Yes the final was predictable on who would be there, i got a feeling that the final itself will be anything but predictable!

The reason chapter it clearly shows that Rindou does not like Azami at all in my opinion! If you look at her facial appearence when he enter the room she does not look happy!

i still believe she will screw up this on purphase, to show Tsukasa that he needs to open up and show himself in his cooking!

Seiryu likes this.
  7. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Either I wasn't paying attention, but I had no idea ALL ten seats are at stake here. I would love to see Souma have a rematch with Tsukasa and lose the rematch giving the 1st seat back to Tsukasa. The twist is probably something else, but there has to be something/goal to keep the series going.

8. Marco Polo

circus act
    Expand Collapse

I think they mentioned it very briefly right before Joichiro showed up to suggest the Regiment de Cuisine? Soma said something along the lines of "hey let's take the Elite Ten seats so our friends can come back", but it hasn't been the focus of the arc, nor has it really been talked about
    But I think since the Shokugeki is for control of the Academy, it'd make sense that the Elite Ten seats would be up for grabs too

4thBlade likes this.
  9. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I remember that quote, but at the time they had enough members to win the majority of the seats to veto everyone's expulsion. Although it does fit with the nature of the Regiment de Cuisine, it seems like a last minute addition that is not necessary. The entire arc meant the overthrow of Azami (and ensuring everyone's safety). It all leads back to what the new goal of the series is. Although the long-term aspects are fun and intriguing, the short-term aspects of the series has and probably will continue to be predictable.

10. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

The pacing...is...so...bad...with...this...series
    When you're reading it to catch up it's so fun but when you're reading it week-to-week it's painfully slow. Hopefully we'll start wrapping up this arc soon.

11. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Not going to bother with a spoiler tag since there literally was nothing important in the chapter. I say Souma surprises everyone and actually has a traditional French appetizer. He took his stagierre training seriously so he should be able to do it (plus Erina did have a plan established from her comment on him slowly deviating from it). Also, any legitimate cook tastes at every major step so introducing that now makes Tootsuki look like amateurs (since that is a rookie mistake).

12. Marco Polo

circus act
    Expand Collapse

13. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I was pleasantly surprised at the teamwork. Plus, we finally get to see Erina cook seriously. Erina being happy while she's cooking will for Asami to see that Erina is going to be a rebellious teen.

14. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I think our boy Soma is much more apt to be the assistant anyways. As we have been reminded numerous times, he essentially grew up being his father's assistant. He'll do a much better job as an assistant than Erina.

15. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I always keep getting pleasantly surprised with this series. I loved Erina being able to one up everyone (especially Souma for all the crap he gives her). The PB and squid alone would have made the chapter for me, but add on the sarcasm to Asami, the nod to Nikumi, and the audacity to rub it in Asami's face that I will make you like this "low class" food is just pure genius. The live performance analogy was on other great aspect.

This definitely fits as a legitimate win and the next chapter will be a perfect culmination of a slow build up throughout the entire series.

Marco Polo likes this.
  16. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I have to agree with most of this! Pretty awesome! There was some nice...um...plot at one point in chapter 260 too!

The pacing in the last few has been rough. It does seem like welwebe picking up the pace rather soon.

Marco Polo likes this.
  17. Marco Polo

circus act
    Expand Collapse

Erina’s specialty feels like Yukihira cooking on steroids, whoa mama

I really like how they’ve handled this main dish, it showcases the growth Erina’s gone through over the course of the series, from accepting “second-rate” cuisine to being freed from Azami’s control. The God Tongue is hax but we’ve known it’s been there the whole series, and Soma and Erina’s use of it for this battle has been pretty much perfect, much like Erina’s cooking

18. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Yup...I mean I can understand trying to have a cliffhanger with every chapter, but at least the arc is coming to a close. The initial shokugeki still needed build up for the next match so the content per chapter was perfect.
    I would say she has taken to "Polar Star" cooking approach and has is on steroids. Yukihira's "style" perfectly matches the ability to think outside the box. Everyone in the dorm was doing it, but was still in the middle of mastering their individual specialties.

Although we have a temporary answer for the continuing of the series (Erina being #1), I have to expect some other twist (expanding on the Blu?/Blue? tournaments). Erina is an ally, so the friendly competition is too boring.

Marco Polo likes this.
  19. Marco Polo

circus act
    Expand Collapse

There's probably a lot of cooks we haven't met yet, especially from Isshiki's class, and then there's the possibility of strong new chefs joining once Soma and co. get to second year.

The end goal for Soma is to be #1, and this last bout in the Regiment de Cuisine has highlighted the size of the gap between Soma and Erina; he's only managed to perfect his specialty dish with borrowed power, which is something I'm sure Soma himself will acknowledge. Soma's journey to reach Erina's level doesn't have to be a series of Soma vs Erina bouts, and it's not like Erina is the only cook better than him.
    There's also Erina's implied feelings for Soma, and the thing about "finding a woman to cook for" that Saiba mentioned way back when. Whilst it's not a purely cooking related, it's something that should, and most probably will, be explored.

Seiryu likes this.
  20. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I think we need to see Joichiro vs. Azami