1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Shokugeki no Soma - General Manga Discussion

Discussion in 'Shokugeki no Soma' started by Kyros, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Ebony Rustle

Expand Collapse

#641 Ebony Rustle, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Chapter 291:
    https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/291/5534/1

Oy vey... Really? I get the point of giving cool to over-the-top titles to characters in this series, but their techniques as well? Ugh, bad decision. Especially the sadistic one.

Well, anyway, the methods of course are very unrealistic, but theoretically sound. IMO, however, the noirs don't deserve to be called superhumans, because of their reliance on overly unconventional tools. I guess that's where our protagonists get to shine over them? Using regular knives to produce the exact same dish (or better) of the noirs is what I'd call superhuman. Luckily, we'll finally get to see Megumi and Takumi in action next chapter (hopefully). And since Soma isn't teased in the final page, imma expect him to be the grand finale of the current gate test.

Edit: Also, since I haven't addressed yet the questions of some on why Megumi and Takumi are in BLUE and certain other characters aren't, there are at least 2 possible reasons that I could think of:
    1. The other people were invited, but they declined or were unable to attend.
    2. The other people were not invited, possibly because they haven't made enough recognizable contribution yet to the culinary world outside of Totsuki. And I believe it was mentioned in a chapter before that that's one of the criterions to join.

2. Marco Polo

The Golden Jester
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

The writers are DEFINITELY masochists, look at those lady noirs

This chapter has helped me accept that the “realism” aspect that grounded a lot of the cooking is gone, which should hopefully change my perspective on the insanity we’re about to see.

3. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I think the "superhuman" aspect is not referring to their tools or even their general skill set. The "superhuman" contextually appears to only be the ability to produce a "dish no one else can make" (the whole specialty classification Tootsuki uses).
    From the above perspective, technically Souma was already making specialty dishes for a while. Others would be able to make better and more "refined" versions of his dishes, but his use of "strange ingredients by definition fits the specialty classification (more to do with people not willing to use what he's used).

So I fully expect that nothing changes for the protagonists. It has to be a higher level from previous arcs, but their cooking style should remain the exact same, which should get us back to what we like about the series. I like the overall concept that they are all just trying to make the best food possible, but everyone can use completely different means to get there.

Marco Polo likes this.
  4. 4thBlade

Inner weeb > Responsibilities
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Oh megumi chan <3 good to see her have that spark.
    I call bullshit on the guillotine tho. And that juggler, it reminds me of an episode in cooking master boy.

Seiryu likes this.
  5. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Anyone else just not feeling the dark chiefs? The "dark" part is cool and all but ultimately they haven't been shown to cheat or physically assault their competition. Meaning that, for the most part, Soma's battles are going to be about the same just with "higher consequences" because you don't want the dark chiefs taking over.

I think the series peaked too soon in the last arc and I just feel so unfulfilled about Soma becoming the 1st seat. It doesn't have the impact that I thought it would and he didn't really "climb his way up". I dunno but it just hasn't been a must read for me lately.

Seiryu and 4thBlade like this.
  6. Marco Polo

The Golden Jester
    Expand Collapse

292 is out: https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/292/5545/1?mobile=1

After all the stuff I said about accepting the weird Noir methods last chapter, this chapter sticks to the basics of what makes the series so enjoyable and oh man is it well done. Seeing Tsukasa’s special skill is great, seeing Megumi’s development is greater and seeing Takumi reunited with his Mezzaluna is the arc’s highlight.

They off screened Soma this time, but considering how uncomfortable Esdeath is just looking at him, I think it’s a good move plot wise (something I haven’t felt about this arc at all, save for when Tsukasa came back).

It looks like it’s going to be a series of Shokugekis now, which to me feels very safe. I really wasn’t a fan of the experimenting they’ve done with the gates, but now we can sit and watch the best chefs face off and that’s what’s enjoyable about this manga.

TL;DR - it feels like the manga is going back to its roots and that’s a good thing

Seiryu likes this.
  7. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Agreed with very little to add
    I think the gates could have been more interesting but it wasn't a 1-on-1 like we're used to seeing. Plus did any of us think that Soma wasn't making it this far at the very least?

Marco Polo likes this.
  8. Marco Polo

The Golden Jester
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I think the concept behind the gates was fine, it just felt lacking in execution compared to the stuff we’ve seen in the past. Had they made use of Takumi and Megumi along the way, I think it could have been a lot more fun - the main appeal of the non-Shokugeki events we’ve had in the past (camp from Hell, the Stagiare) was that it made really good use of the supporting cast - the camp from Hell gave us Takumi, Alice and Shinomiya, and the Stagiare developed Hisako (or whatever Erina’s assistant is called) and gave Shinomiya his redemption arc. The gates were too Soma-centric until this chapter, and since we know Soma’s getting through all the challenges just fine, it’s not as tense as it could have been

Zeek likes this.
  9. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Exactly, I feel like all the recent chapters since the big showdown have really done one thing for me.
    Cemented the Soma x Erina ship.

10. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I gotta agree that chapter 292 was a nice twist back to the "essence" of the series. I don't mind the prolonged tournament style since we have essentially nothing on the Noirs (character development wise). I think Megumi definitely shined the most since she's the only one that go to present her dish. I would have to assume Tsukasa made a beef tartar based on him shaving tiny bits of beef (there is no point to making ground beef this way from what I know). No idea on what Aldini made since we have no info on anything he did.

Obviously, there is a limit to how much creativity the authors can have that still match everyone's cooking style. At least this means that they still have enough key ideas for everyone's remaining matches. I would also assume we only have one judge (rather than the 3 for a normal shokugeki). Finally back to looking forward to the upcoming chapters.

11. Kyros

The Legend
    Super Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Am I the only one feeling weird that the girl and other noir chefs using weird weapons but create super quality food.This chapter made me think that may be author wanting to show the dark chefs dangerous and pulling these stupid weapon cooking stuff. The chefs can be shows cool and dangerous even without mixing and cutting things with chain saw. My be other people enjoy these kind of things, but it looks a bit dumb to me even if I am not knowledgeable in cooking. Just a rant of mine, I will just leave it at that.

Seiryu and Marco Polo like this.
  12. Marco Polo

The Golden Jester
    Expand Collapse

Nope, I 100% agree

I’m guessing it’s the writers way of bringing in new “powers”, but Esdeath’s cooking style just seems impractical

Seiryu and Kyros like this.
  13. Kyros

The Legend
    Super Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Hope they end this stupidity soon and do proper cooking competitions like autumn election or Rebels vs Central (Normal cooking skills and ideas).

14. Marco Polo

The Golden Jester
    Expand Collapse

Seiryu likes this.
  15. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Haha...that's the writing I've come to love. "Fighting" a chainsaw with a tiny piece of flimsy wood. As someone that used to create my own baking recipes, that's actually a freaking amazing dish. Everyone is talking down about Souma, and he even plays it down initially, but he starts doing classic French techniques from Shinomiya. I'm glad to see the authors haven't used up all of their best ideas yet, and here's to hoping they have enough for the rest of this arc/series.