1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Shokugeki no Soma - General Manga Discussion

Discussion in 'Shokugeki no Soma' started by Kyros, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Yup, 100% agree. I think the last real remaining twist is who gets the pleasure of beating Asahi (I don't think they showed the full tourney bracket and I don't pay enough attention if they gave any hints on the fragments shown). It's probably gonna be Souma (so he gets to topple both beasts), but Erina is equally satisfying to me.

I guess another important aspect is who takes out Megumi. That seems a bit fitting if it's Erina and in her Ice Queen mode, she forgets their friendship.

Marco Polo likes this.
  2. Marco Polo

boy with luv
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

302: https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/302/5723/1?mobile=1

Angry Megumi is Top 5 st BLUE, wow. She’s really developed a lot from the nervous mess we met at the start of the series.

It’s a shame she’s going to get destroyed by Asahi now, but at least she finaly got to win a Shokugeki

Seiryu likes this.
  3. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

HOLY WKHSDLGWOIG!!! That's what I hoped Megumi would become, and 100% agree that it sucks that it only gets to last for essentially one chapter...hell Megumi herself looks like she lost hope at the end of this chapter when she realizes Asahi's plan...

Since there isn't much else left in the rest of the series, I really hope they milk the final bouts. Just like real life promotions (especially in the fight biz), have a massive amount of trash talk. Have Asahi belittle Megumi after their match to piss Souma off. Since I don't care for the love triangle drama, at least something like this would make me really look forward to the semi-finals (it's just a 3 person tourney at this point since I don't see the need for any more Noir => Erina took them all out it seems like).

Marco Polo likes this.
  4. 4thBlade

Inner weeb > Responsibilities
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I know i’ve been complaining on how the mangaka keeps on dragging some fights in the previous chapters but now it’s just rushed man.. sad chapter for Megumi-chan :/

Seiryu and Marco Polo like this.
  5. Marco Polo

boy with luv
    Expand Collapse

I think there's pressure coming from the editors to wrap things up - apparently the series hasn't been polling too highly. I think all the non-Soma fights are being brushed over quickly so he can really focus on Soma's parts in the time he has left.

4thBlade and Seiryu like this.
  6. 4thBlade

Inner weeb > Responsibilities
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Oh man, that’s a bummer. I guess it’s pretty common in the industry.

7. Marco Polo

boy with luv
    Expand Collapse

It’s almost annoyingly common and I think it’s part of why so many people are disappointed by a manga’s ending

As far as Soma goes, I think they’d already reached the story’s limit once they put Soma in 1st seat - but maybe they’d already been told to hurry up by then? Idk

4thBlade likes this.
  8. Marco Polo

boy with luv
    Expand Collapse

304: https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/304/5757/1?mobile=1

I was about to post that I called the Soma vs Asahi semi and Soma vs Erina final, but I think I posted that on MangaHelpers and not here :(

It’s good that they’ve cut the filler, but it’s also a shame that they’re having to wrap things up so quickly. Joichiro is coming to watch, so this should be good...

Soma’s obviously winning this, and I can see that he’s going to demonstrate his usual emotional maturity throughout this battle.

EDIT: Yeah I only posted it on MH for some reason, weird. But just so you know I’m not BSing you by saying “called it”, here’s a link: https://mangahelpers.com/forum/thre...n-302-predictions.3013036/page-7#post-5003292

Seiryu likes this.
  9. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I'm kind of surprised at Erina just completely succumbing to Asahi/the pressure and trauma from her crappy childhood. But then again, it is the faster route to end the series. It is somewhat anti-climactic to have the "final battle" as the semi-finals, but maybe the series ends open ended without the final results of BLUE? That would definitely be unique.

Here's to hoping they saved their best idea(s) for Souma for now and didn't have to use them already. I'm kind of hoping it comes down to combining a little bit of inspiration from his major influences: of course the diner/Jouichirou, the Polar Star, Shinomiya, and some of the other Elite 10 members.

10. Marco Polo

boy with luv
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, it feels like a major step back for Erina's character after the development she got in the RDC - but I suppose the fact that her mother's trauma is directly related to the God Tongue makes it much more "real" for her in the sense that she could well end up the same way.

And regarding Soma/Asahi as the semis and Soma/Erina as the final - Soma's main goal throughout the series has been "I'll make you (Erina) say my cooking is delicious", something he still hasn't achieved despite all the growth they've been through together. Once he achieves that, then the series can come to an end. I don't think we'll see anything too surprising from Soma given how quickly he implements the things he learns, but then we don't know too much of what he did during the timeskip. Maybe he picked up some new skills there?

Seiryu likes this.
  11. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I think this just might be the end of the series to be honest. Soma beats the guy who beat his dad. Soma makes Erinac smile. Soma's weird combinations will be able to satisfy Erina's desire for new and different things. They end up together. Timeskip forward to their future child. The end.

I really don't think Soma should lose to D-Bag from a narrative position. Now, if we have an "Erina retrieval arc" then I can see Soma losing in the finals against her. It just feels like a rehash of the arc with her dad. I came up with similar narratives on the playground in elementary when we pretended to be YuYuHakusho characters

Seiryu likes this.
  12. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Ah, forgot about Erina not complimenting his food (directly I guess since she's gotten close). At least they had Erina busy running the school, so it makes sense that it didn't happen despite Souma having the skill already.

As for potential "training", are you talking about the jump to them being second year students? Either way, I'm hoping the authors have one last trick of Souma taking a high end ingredient and outdoing Asahi at his game. After that, taking a low end ingredient and making Erina acknowledge he did a better job than her seems like a nice way to end everything.

The "future generation" seems a bit out of place since Souma has never reciprocated anything remote to any of the female characters. But then again, it gets used so much (by fan interest) that I'd agree it's probably the most likely situation to happen. I'm thinking some sort of stability/happy ending for the Nakiri family and Tootsuki.

Marco Polo likes this.
  13. Marco Polo

boy with luv
    Expand Collapse

The "training" is both Soma's timeskip exploits and his overall exploits from the series.

305 is out: https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/305/5770/1

This match is going to be a lot of fun. I never thought about Asahi's Cross Knives ability being a Joichiro "proxy", but with more strings to the bow. I think the obvious route for Soma to win is that his cooking is authentically "his", whereas Asahi is essentially Subaru on steroids. The dishes that come out will be super high quality for sure, and they've even got Mana excited. Definitely battle of the series material.

The theme is pretty interesting as well and seems to play perfectly into Asahi's hands, but Soma's tackled at least four of those cuisines in the manga.

Italian: YES - Soma's done a few risotto-based dishes, and "Italian" was likely the theme of a lot of his battles with Takumi
    Indian: YES - The Autumn Elections preliminary (the curry-themed battle vs Hayama)
    French: YES - Shinomiya training, the first Tsukasa Shokugeki (it's also Soma's sub-specialty).
    Chinese: YES - vs Kuga
    Turkish: NO - but presumably his Elite 10 exploits will have taught him at least the fundamentals.

Seiryu likes this.
  14. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Ah, this probably comes down to the more technical vs. instinctual side of cooking. Asahi will have a technically sound dish (each knife does the associated technique/style appropriately). However, the instinctual side is to have the same chemical compounds being present across all 5 so they tie together/have harmony. This is definitely more scientifically driven now, and I think it even came up once in the series.

Asahi's overconfidence and over-reliance on his super power will do him in. I.E. he would taste the flaw in his dish if he taste-tested every individual part/each step of the cooking process. That's my bet at least.

I'm highly pleased with this main event finale. It's too bad the rest of the series didn't have this pacing. Maybe the teams research just couldn't keep up so they had to slow it down to have the food legit.

Marco Polo likes this.
  15. Marco Polo

boy with luv
    Expand Collapse

100% agree, I think Asahi's dish will be highly impressive and effectively tie the cuisines together, but it'll lack the "soul" that Soma's cooking has. I don't know if you've read the one-shot (it's an interesting read, I'd definitely recommend), but I sense the main theme from that will come into play here, that main theme being that whilst technically flawless cooking is great, it's boring.

Cross Knives is a fearsome power but I feel that this theme is set up perfectly to be its undoing - I have a feeling that even though Asahi has all these different abilities, he's not particularly well acquainted with them - there's probably knives on his belt he's never had to use. He's probably been able to get away with things so far because of his natural talent, but with a theme this difficult, that lack of familiarity will probably come back to haunt him. And considering his style revolves around stolen abilities, I'd wager that he doesn't have a cooking style that's authentically his. In comparison, Soma has always had his way of doing things, but he's always been receptive to criticism and ready to learn from a wide range of influences- his "style" is basically his version of Cross Knives, but all the different abilities are channelled into one knife - his own.

My main disappointment with the BLUE arc is that it almost feels like an abridged version of itself - we didn't get to see much from the supporting cast, which had already been reduced to just the core gang from the Regiment de Cuisine. I do think the arc's finale will deliver, though - both Soma vs Asahi and (hopefully) Soma vs Erina.

Seiryu likes this.
  16. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Expand Collapse

This. I think that his lack of individuality while cooking will be his downfall. Mixing other people's styles makes it seem like Asahi doesn't have his own style. Again, I don't think our boy Souma should lose here. It just wouldn't make sense froma narrative standpoint for him to lose again.

Marco Polo and Seiryu like this.
  17. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Is this different from the Shinomiya thing? I read the first parts of that, but the releases stopped, so I stopped reading ever since. Sounds like this is something completely separate though.
    I definitely 100% agree. The one technicality I see is that cross knives appears to have some natural molding/mastery behind it (i.e. their is "soul" behind it when used). For example, the dish that beats Megumi is a mastery of correctly unifying the best parts/points of each individual knife/skill. Maybe the "manga logic" is that the magic mastery steadily decreases with each additional knife used. That's the only thing that comes to mind other than the above part on the chemistry being minuscule-ly off.
    Yup. But the recent chapters are implying that the authors ran out of dish ideas and or the research necessary couldn't keep up. Maybe we get an OVA (or whatever they are called now) on the other battles.

I honestly could see the series ending after Asahi, so I 100% agree on the Souma vs. Erina part.

18. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Expand Collapse

WOW they are rushing this cooking battle!!! I'm pretty sure our series is about to be over ladies and gentleman

Seiryu likes this.
  19. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I'm actually pleasantly surprised at Souma's "idea". It is completely irrational, but is so perfectly fitting. This REALLY makes me think the authors at least had this final battle planned. Now I'm thinking the match against Erina can't match the hype and I'd rather not see it (just jump straight to an ending. They can have Erina eat this dish and acknowledge Souma officially.

20. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Expand Collapse

I have to disagree. The hype for this battle was real but it only taking essentially 3 chapters is a little disappointing. This all feels so so so rushed and it seems like the author could have done so much more with the series itself. Dunno, maybe it was never designed to be a very long series.