1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Shokugeki no Soma - General Manga Discussion

Discussion in 'Shokugeki no Soma' started by Kyros, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Per the above, the sudden drop in popularity is the source. This happens all the time. For me, I'm a little perplexed because the anime seemed to be doing so well. Ah...
    The discussions completely died off here, so I have to assume the same thing was happening in Japan so that's where the popularity went to crap. Just like any other series, the mangaka have a solid outline. It wouldn't be believable and enjoyable if not. The mastery is when they can fill in the missing parts smoothly. For Shokugeki, it seems in hindsight that the food/dish research couldn't keep up so they had to start prolonging/delaying the chapters.

Shokugeki is probably similar to One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, etc. in that the popularity allows for "expansion" of the original plan. Oda is the only exception I've come across where his expansion is still 100% believable and connected. Everyone else, falls on their face eventually. Oda already fell on his face, but that is of his own choosing/his own admission of changing things.

2. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Yup, for me the cooking side of things was secondary to the enjoyable characters. Maybe it'll at least get a pretty bow place on it (a nice ending).

3. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I 100% agree on the characters. But at the same time, legit cooking things is the foundation/essence of the series, so in hindsight, I actually fully support the authors in their decision to prioritize keeping the cooking legitimate even if the slower pace killed the series. I think the series slowly dies off anyway if they skip over major "fights". I can't really think of another way around the inadequate research since putting a half-hearted product/effort contradicts Japan's culture (and probably kills the series faster).
    We can only hope for a satisfactory ending to this series...especially since there was SOOO much potential most of the way.

4. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Expand Collapse

This last chapter was good in the sense of the cooking breakdown. Surprise surprise Asahi made a good meal.

Marco Polo likes this.
  5. Marco Polo

#TeamZornji
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

Re: the popularity discussion - I think that's the major cause of the sudden increase in pace. I'm not sure when the popularity began to drop, but I imagine it would have been at some point during the Regiment de Cuisine. That'd be the only explanation for the way it ended (Soma becoming First Seat). It's a shame, but it happens to a lot of manga series - even big ones (I'm pretty sure something similar happened to Toriko).

As for the latest chapter, here's my thoughts:

The dish Asahi made is interesting to say the least... But why is Mana eating it with chopsticks when all the others are using a fork and spoon?

6. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Wouldn't Bleach and Naruto be the biggest examples? Hell, Naruto was forced to end before Kishi got to his trilogy part (there was an interview back from 2008-9 where Kishi said he wanted Naruto to be a three part series and I'm seeing the Boruto chapters pop up every once in a while).
    Stereotypical Japanese. Maybe it's a pride thing to think we can eat anything with chopsticks (we were actually graded on our ability to pick up polished beans so that they were slick and hard to pick up). I liked the backstory/research for the dish, but seemed lackluster.

Since he only has tiny parts of some of the cuisines, Asahi will lose based on the theme.

7. Marco Polo

#TeamZornji
    Expand Collapse

I remember hearing something about Bleach being rushed but I wasn't sure if that was an editorial decision or not. Same with Naruto - it'd be odd for WSJ to so willingly axe two of their "Big Three".

Also, Chapter 309 is out: https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/309/5844/1

Azami being a guy with good intentions but terrible solutions is confirmed, not a surprise though.

What's most interesting, though, is that Mana's told us how Soma's going to win BLUE:

manaxazami.png

The secret ingredient really is "love". This is both corny and wholesome at the same time

Seiryu likes this.
  8. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I didn't bother to keep up with the leaked info/inside info once I stopped following the series, but that's the gist I got from outside conversations/seeing Bleach drop to the bottom half of the WSJ publication order (Naruto wasn't as bad, but they definitely cut Kishi off before he could do his second timeskip).

In Jump stores, there were barely any Bleach (and later Naruto) merchandise. They may have still been popular overseas, but they were not selling things in Japan.
    This is only half the answer to me. Yes, "passion" has always been a theme in the entire series (Erina had none until Souma re-ignited it). However, there is the technical side of cooking though. Asahi only highlighted half of the cuisines. He only had "hints" of the others. Although it meets the requirements it is only a 50% completion. Souma will have the same level of technical capabilities but achieve the 100% completion. His dish will be astronomically better than Asahi's because of both the passion and the exponentially greater level of "completing the theme".

This makes me think the authors got inspired by the Food Network shows. I've never seen an Iron Chef episode of multiple themes.

Marco Polo likes this.
  9. Marco Polo

#TeamZornji
    Expand Collapse

Yeah I suppose the technical aspect can’t be ignored, but I’ve taken that as a given really - Soma doesn’t make the semifinal of BLUE with no technical ability. Based on what he said he was going to do with his dish (make 5 separate dishes and merge them into one), each separate cuisine will shine individually in a way that Asahi’s didn’t.

Was it you that mentioned molecular gastronomy earlier? I think that could be important in choosing the “order” Soma uses for each of the five dishes

Seiryu likes this.
  10. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Expand Collapse

Looks like this is seriously going to be the end of the series now that Dad is here. We got everyone in one room pretty much. Soma taking the W soon.

Seiryu likes this.
  11. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Nope, wasn't me. I don't remember that coming up here so probably a discussion on a different board.

12. Marco Polo

#TeamZornji
    Expand Collapse

Seiryu likes this.
  13. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Yup. I would have been sad if they didn't try to squeeze it in someplace (and especially if we don't have the Erina vs. Souma final shown. Plus distracting us from the end of the series for a chapter or two seems perfect.

Damn...this was one of their best researched dishes, if not the most. They are almost having the judges underreact to how composed and fitting the key aspects build upon each other. I guess it is good writing that they exaggerate how well Asami used all 5 themes (he literally skipped 1-2 with minuscule uses.

I have to assume Souma's mother is the all-loving mother. I'm also curious to see how extensive a background we get. Will we get to see how Jouichirou and her met?

Marco Polo likes this.
  14. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Expand Collapse

I think Souma is about to win. He might not make the entire crowd strip down but it seems like that's the only logical next step for the story. Hopefully we get an awesome battle between him and Erina to wrap everything up nicely. Agreed, it seems like Souma's dish was excellently researched. Love the bit where Captain Nose talks about Souma being their "general"

Seiryu and Marco Polo like this.
  15. Marco Polo

#TeamZornji
    Expand Collapse

The judges definitely under-reacted, but it's a neat little parallel to the "transforming fried rice" Soma made way back at the start of the series - Erina was more curious than these judges tho lol

Soma's dish feels more "realistic" than Asahi's dish to me - but that might just be my experience of putting whatever I want in fried rice and it still tastes good.

His mother's either going to be sickly sweet or Joichirou 2.0, there's no in-between. As for what we see, I imagine we'll see young Soma's perspective for sure, but we'll need Joichiro to fill the rest in for us.

It's such a shame the series suddenly jumped forward - we could have "seen" Soma become the general rather than finding out through Hayama. However, I'm glad we know that it wasn't just our main four + Tsukasa who were invited to BLUE... That was a big problem I had with this arc

Seiryu and 4thBlade like this.
  16. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

To be fair, it seems a bit redundant to have them face-off against each other. It seems like Hayama should have defeated most of the Noir. It was a perfect way to explain a key missing part.

Ah, almost forgot. The ease of making a tasty fried rice is exactly why most of the people scoffed at Souma's dish. It is a bit of a cop-out but he executes it to perfection, which Asahi does not in his dish. So based on this, Souma should have a bigger stripping reaction because it is more "unique" than Asahi's dish.

Marco Polo likes this.
  17. Marco Polo

#TeamZornji
    Expand Collapse

Now I think about it, it makes sense Hayama feels that way about Soma after the Central arc - I completely forgot about their Shokugeki. I wonder when the others (eg Alice, Ryo) began to acknowledge Soma as their “general”

As for the fried rice thing, I totally agree - i made a fried rice using random leftovers in the fridge yesterday and it turned out nicely - in fact I don’t think I’ve ever made “bad” fried rice and I’m not exactly the most skilled cook lol. But to make a fried rice that’s supposedly “otherworldly” in terms of taste seems really difficult, and as you say it almost feels like they’re copping out just to have that throwback factor

Here’s a page from Chapter 311 that I found on mangahelpers:

622A9699-CDB4-44E4-8522-A4584CAF9117.jpeg

Don’t think I need to tell anyone who this is, lol

Seiryu likes this.
  18. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Woah! "Yukihira Tamako" is 28 years old and still looks like a young teen?! It's also a little weird to have Souma almost an exact copy in terms of facial features. Hell, even the hair is almost the same, but just made longer to be more feminine. Either way, I'm super excited for her backstory!

19. 4thBlade

Inner weeb > Responsibilities
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

A different kind of stripping eh. Hahaha. I’m all in for this final bout.

Seiryu and Zeek like this.
  20. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Expand Collapse

My guy Souma coming through! Like his mom's character design.

4thBlade and Seiryu like this.