1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Shokugeki no Soma - General Manga Discussion

Discussion in 'Shokugeki no Soma' started by Kyros, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

This seems out of Erina's character, but I would like to see her step down/self-DQ from the finals. Especially if Erina never tastes the food. The fact that Souma is able to do the thing she tried to do for her entire life is the "acknowledgement" itself, but we still need an official end to BLUE.

I guess we have a few more chapters, but I always enjoy seeing what direction the author(s) want to go in. I doubt we get it, but a Jouichirou flashback on how he and Tamako met would be a perfect ending for me. Having Jou tell it to both Erina and Souma (and having them awkwardly embarrassed would be hilarious).

Marco Polo likes this.
  2. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Screw it, give the fans the fanservice we want. Timeskip like everyone else and show us a Souma x Erina child.

3. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Maybe it's just me, but what's so great about the "next generation" ending? I would much rather see Erina acknowledge Souma and at first he plays it off in is "nothing much" manner. Of course Souma is more empathetic now that he knows the details so the relationship is set in stone already.

It's too common, so I see it as the lazy cop out.

4. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Expand Collapse

I agree but it’s a bit of fan service I always enjoy. Especially for a series that had so much promise and just ran out of steam.

5. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Oh, I definitely 100% agree. Sad to see all of this potential "wasted" to a certain extent, but it was one hell of a ride.

Zeek likes this.
  6. Marco Polo

“super moderator”
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

312 thoughts

EVERYBODY NAKED WOW

The only loose end right now is Erina, but I’m guessing that’s right around the corner. Maybe she’ll have a change of heart now that Soma got her momma naked?

Asahi’s resolution is fine, I think it’s pretty much what @Seiryu and I thought it would be?

Seiryu and Zeek like this.
  7. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Expand Collapse

Yup about what I thought too!

Souma v Erina next week!

Marco Polo and Seiryu like this.
  8. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Hahaha...yes. Very deep thinking with the "other head".
    I have to admit, the authors exceeded my expectations for probably one last time (hopefully not with how they plan to close the series). I fully expected them to leave Asahi alone to "travel through the storm" on his own journey (which technically he is doing now anyway). But it was great parenting by Jouichirou to give him the "light at the end of the tunnel".

However, this does make me think/introduce the possibility that Jouichirou lost on purpose in his battle with Asahi. People like Erina's gramps, Jouichirou, and Doujima can see when chefs are going to encounter the "storm", and help provide mentoring. Jouichirou being a rebellious teen in his youth knows that the adult can't say anything to change Asahi's mind.

Even with this, I love how they closed Asahi's chapter.

Since I don't see how they can top Souma's current dish, I'm sticking with the hope that Erina DQ's herself and admits defeat without even tasting Souma's dish. Freakin' egg comes full circle. Hard to imagine that this wasn't the "final dish" when the authors started planning the series (combining the key gourmets is a perfect final task too).

So to jump ahead to the "real" ending of the series: we all know Souma will decline being the mom's personal chef. He's gonna tell her to come to Yukihira's instead. Happy ending for the Tootsuki side, but what else is going to happen? Do we get more Yukihira family backstories? Do we have some cliche "I'm proud of you son" moment to close the series?

The authors regularly exceeded my expectations, so I'm hoping for one last hurrah.

Marco Polo likes this.
  9. Marco Polo

“super moderator”
    Expand Collapse

Found on r/manga - The series is ending in 3 chapters

shokugeki no soma ending announcement.jpg

Seiryu likes this.
  10. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Damn, that feels a little fast, but I guess fits contextually. Personal prediction is 1 chapter to wrap up BLUE. 1 chapter on the spreading of good new (seeing how everyone at Tootsuki reacts as well as hopefully another scene of Jouichirou recalling Tamako). With the last chapter on the happy ending (the set up on whatever level of relationship the authors want Souma x Erina to be => anything from the simple acknowledgement of each other all the way to the other end of the spectrum with the next generation.

Marco Polo likes this.
  11. Marco Polo

“super moderator”
    Expand Collapse

313: https://readms.net/r/shokugeki_no_souma/313/5906/1?mobile=1

The “boring cooking” line is straight from the one shot

This Shokugeki doesn’t have enough time to really develop because they’re axing the series, which is a shame. However, I don’t think the outcome here matters at all as much as it is about Senzaemon’s “plan”

Inb4 Soma makes peanut butter squid

Seiryu likes this.
  12. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

This could be a huge disappointment...I can only hope they can cram all of their plans into the remaining chapters. I really, REALLY hope they don't leave the results of BLUE open ended.

Senzaemon's plan seemed to revolve around saving Erina from the beginning. He could see their talent from earlier (most of them were in the middle school version of Tootsuki). So this "plan" was nothing more than expanding what he normally does as a teacher anyway. He just had more options to work with since there were to many "raw gems" in this year's class.

I think I'd actually take Souma's go-to comedic failure dish. He's more than talented enough to make it a legit high-class dish. That meets all of the needed requirements, so it is legitimately an option to end the series.

13. 4thBlade

Inner weeb > Responsibilities
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

The tower stripped... Lmao.
    Well, i guess it was wrapped up nicely. Time to say goodbye to this manga.

Seiryu likes this.
  14. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Not quite. They purposefully left it completely open ended because there is a continuation series (think in Jump Giga) coming up soon.

It looks like it is only jumping ahead a year or so. If this was the absolute ending of the series, I probably wouldn't like it, but it is probably perfect to get people to follow at least part of the Giga spin-off.

4thBlade likes this.
  15. 4thBlade

Inner weeb > Responsibilities
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Ohhh. Thanks for the info :D

Seiryu likes this.
  16. Marco Polo

“super moderator”
    Expand Collapse

The “ending” felt very strange but if they’re doing a continuation of it I guess it’s okay? I dunno...

Seiryu and Kyros like this.
  17. Kyros

The Legend
    Super Moderator
    Expand Collapse

I read somewhere that there will be 3-4 chapters in jump giga

Seiryu likes this.
  18. Marco Polo

“super moderator”
    Expand Collapse

Chapter 1 of the JUMP GIGA sequel is out: https://readms.net/r/sns_dessert/01/6000/1?mobile=1

So Soma’s not going to feature until possibly the last chapter (I heard there’s only going to be three?), interesting. Lots of fan service in the character inclusions, which is what we like to see from an epilogue.

We’re finding out how Joichiro met his wife, which is something I’d really love to see. Will we get parallels between those two and Soma/Erina? Probably!

Seiryu and 4thBlade like this.
  19. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

So all of the current and parental generations of Nakiri just hate Souma...even Erina's face shows she knows she shouldn't have won.

I'm a little surprised at how much different all the female characters look (and how little the male characters changed).
    Yup, that was the "big announcement" in the additional pages in the WSJ.
    I have to assume so too. At least we get the most intriguing info of the series. The authors have lived up for most parts of the series so I have to think they have a solid plan for this part too.