1. As a final farewell gift to our beloved creator, we're planning to make a "thank you" video. If you'd like to be involved, you can read more here.
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Shokugeki no Soma - General Manga Discussion

Discussion in 'Shokugeki no Soma' started by Kyros, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Chaudfontaine

Chieftain Chóðinn
    Super Moderator Member of the Year 2017
    Expand Collapse

I wanted to get back into the series, but a bit hesitant about the manga, I mean no colors, no visual effects of all the greasy and delicious food. But I do want to know how the story progresses.

And I saw indeed that the manga was "ended". Is it a shipduunen no soma thing?

2. Marco Polo

「DREAM STATE」
    Administrator Member of the Year 2018
    Expand Collapse

You’re reading Nanatsu no Taizai right? It suffered the same problem with a weak final third. However, if you enjoyed the anime up until the last part of S3 Cour 2 with the whole Regiment de Cuisine thing, you’ll like that arc at least.

So it’s ended, it’s getting 3 sequel chapters in JUMP Giga (monthly), two of which are out already. Not huge additions to the story but a nice way to close things out.

3. Chaudfontaine

Chieftain Chóðinn
    Expand Collapse

Alright. Bingetime. When I have time.

4. Chaudfontaine

Chieftain Chóðinn
    Expand Collapse

#724 Chaudfontaine, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    Soooooo I'm almost caught up. Central arc was still okay but with the chef noirs it's a bit euh too shounen? How can a chef be so maffia? Feels a bit rushed and uncreative.
    the only thing that "connects", is the typical missing family bond which was also used in the central arc. and now it's a god tongue story. Pretty weak dad connection. And who could have predicted it? The mc's mom who has been missing in this story shows up in the family arc ö

Wat? Is that it? How is that an end?

Dessert is a more fitting end. More wholesome? But still the aftertaste of the noir arc is meh. Maybe that was intended to have more impact by having less impact but yeah meh is the only thing that comes up to me. Dessert was nice, a few answers on some questions, which made it possible to tie some things up and end it.

Seiryu and Marco Polo like this.
  5. Marco Polo

「DREAM STATE」
    Expand Collapse

I think rushed sums it up, I assume the editors were in their ear to end things ASAP so they had to reach the end however possible (sales/ratings for the series started to tank iirc). The entire last arc is pretty underwhelming because there was so much more they could have done post-RDC that they didn't get the chance to

Seiryu likes this.
  6. sweetjacky

Searching for Answers
    Member of the Season Administrator
    Expand Collapse

The last arc pretty much ruined an otherwise amazing manga. It was rushed and a lot of it didn't make any sense and was pretty stupid.

Like how would getting a knive from someone make you gain all their cooking ability and knowledge?

7. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Yup...unfortunately so...the thing that really bugs me is that signs indicated that the anime was doing great. Unless the manga sales went to absolute crap, I don't see the reason for the editors to force a quick ending. The series had so much potential, but oh well.

Chaudfontaine likes this.
  8. Zanekin

Apprentice
    Expand Collapse

The ending was just "meh" for me. I know we don't have to see them actually ending up together but it's just frustrating to leave a "will they won't they" scenario open ended. So rushed and sad to see it end already. What a great series.

9. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Gonna bump the thread since I completely forgot about the epilogue chapters. @Marco Polo @Chaudfontaine @sweetjacky @Kyros @4thBlade @Zeek
    So I think I forgot about the epilogue chapters because of how crappy the first one was...However, the last two felt like a proper ending. We finally get a proper backstory on Tamako and Jouichirou in the second chapter.

I'm kinda curious if the Nakiri family twist was the original plan with Asahi. The ending is befitting with both Asami and Asahi finding a place to "call home".

I definitely would have liked to see the last epilogue chapter to have been the official last chapter. It was a stereotypical fan service ending of showing everyone in the future (or at least the popular characters). I'm just glad they avoided the overused "next generation" ending though. We got enough hints of the Souma x Erina relationship (biggest thing is Erina calling it "home" [probably "tadaima" in the raw]).

But did they show Tamako's father in the series? The character design seems familiar, but that is also a stereotypical old man design too...

Just in case it gets overlooked, Souma is making an upgraded version of his BLUE entry based on the rice in a wok. Super subtle, but probably fitting since it all started with an egg dish.

Kyros, 4thBlade and Chaudfontaine like this.
  10. kaizokugari

Helmsman
    Expand Collapse

It's disheartening to read a manga that had such a promise and scope of growth at the beginning to stoop to such ends. The plotline is all messed up and they are just trying to do fan service and try to clean up the mess caused by that abrupt ending.

Seiryu, sweetjacky and Marco Polo like this.
  11. Marco Polo

「DREAM STATE」
    Expand Collapse

Final Le Dessert chapter: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/food-wars-chapter-315-3/chapter/19058?action=read

Well this epilogue hasn’t really done much for me, especially considering we get another ambiguous ending. Why go so far to age the characters up if the only developments are new haircuts and Erina admitting she *might* be in love with Soma? We could have had this ending while they were still in high school.

Seiryu and Chaudfontaine like this.
  12. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

This is where the raw (implied raw text for me since I don't where to find Giga raws) is key. There are only certain terms used when referring to family members (Tama's father is implied to use this when talking to Erina) as well as "tadaima" which is only for returning to a place of residence/"home". It isn't implied to the Japanese fan, the authors are saying Souma and Erina are engaged already (equivalent to this current Japanese situation equivalent).

Probably why it's a more fitting ending to me since they are "engaged" already.