Shonen Jump Editors Apologize for Eiichiro Oda's Comments in One Piece Manga's 89th Volume

Discussion in 'One Piece News' started by gencoloco, Jun 21, 2018.

1. gencoloco

Expand Collapse

The editorial department of Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine posted an apology on Thursday related to One Piece manga creator Eiichiro Oda's comments in the series' 89th compiled book volume, which shipped on June 4. The statement cited a "lack of consideration" in Oda's comments and said that both the editorial department and Oda are reflecting on the situation.

Oda's controversial comments appear on the inside flap of the front cover of the manga volume. In the comment, Oda described eating together with a group of people when only One Piece of karaage (Japanese-style fried chicken) was left on the serving plate. Someone decided to name it "Sergeant Yokoi" as if to say, "Sergent Yokoi is left behind! Someone end the war!" Oda then advised young children to look up the reference. He closed his comments by saying, "With embarrassment!! Volume 89 begins!!!"
    Oda's remarks appear to reference Shōichi Yokoi, a sergeant in the Imperial Japanese Army during World War II. He was one of the army's last holdouts after the war ended in 1945, and he was discovered living in the jungles of Guam in 1972. After returning to Japan, he famously said, "It is with much embarrassment that I return."

Although some online commenters believe Oda's comments were innocuous, many people said they think his remarks were insensitive and inappropriate. Some commenters believe the comments were inconsiderate and disrespectful to Yokoi because he was a soldier who decided to remain loyal to Japan as he was instructed, rather than return to his home country in shame. Some commenters think Yokoi's determination is commendable and he deserves pity for living in hardship for nearly 28 years for the sake of his country. Commenters are criticizing Oda for making a joke that they believe mocks and disparages Yokoi.

On the other hand, certain commenters said recent reactions to creators' personal comments are leaning towards suppression of freedom of speech. Some people referenced the controversy related to MINE and his [New Life+] Young Again in Another World (Nidome no Jinsei o Isekai de) light novels, which led to halted shipments and cancellation of a planned anime.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...mments-in-one-piece-manga-89th-volume/.132969

People are very sensitive nowdays. I hope OP will not get canceled because of this.

Seiryu and dreamlovermimi like this.
  2. Robin-Senpai Is The Best

LoLK is killing me send help plz
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

In some twist of logic, I never thought of the possibility of Japanese SJW's.

dreamlovermimi likes this.
  3. Admiral Ryokugyu

New Marineford
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

One Piece canceled ? LOL dude are you serious with your worrying ?? One Piece coming out weekly since 1997 and it will be canceled because of a creator's comment ? Shueisha are gaining millions of dollars thanks to One Piece alone. Come on :p

4. gencoloco

Expand Collapse

Haha, of course i am not serious. Just try to make it more dramatic.
    But try to read this part:
    On the other hand, certain commenters said recent reactions to creators' personal comments are leaning towards suppression of freedom of speech. Some people referenced the controversyrelated to MINEand his [New Life+] Young Again in Another World (Nidome no Jinsei o Isekai de) light novels, which led tohaltedshipments and cancellation of a plannedanime.

5. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

My perspective is that Oda is just emphasizing the importance of not wasting food. I don't know that part of Japanese history very well, but that's not very disrespectful to Yokoi. Oda even encourages people to learn about the history, so the whole thing seems politically correct to me.

Thanks for sharing.

6. Robin-Senpai Is The Best

LoLK is killing me send help plz
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I like how every country has their own brand of overly politically correct.
    In America, it's a contest to see who can be the most tolerant while forgetting what tolerance is and turning it into a measuring contest.
    In Japan, it seems to be portraying their history in a holy light to where it shall not be tarnished by things such as "Jokes" or "Unpleasant Realities".
    I wonder what other brands of political correctness there is. I wonder what brand of political correctness One Piece has? What makes the news media of One Piece go ballistic even though it's not that serious?

7. Time

bogan scientist
    Busoshoku Haki Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

#7 Time, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    The fact that Oda has the humour to make that kind of joke makes me glad because he seems to be much more open-minded than the people that critisised him for one harmless joke like that. Or maybe because he's so famous that this got the attention that it shouldn't have. Either way, this is so stupid.

8. Pacquiao8

8th Commander of the Straw Hat Grand Fleet
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

IMO, those angry people are overreacting and I find it disgusting, I don't want to open up about another WWII issue involving Japanese soldiers anymore but I can't see a disrespect there.

9. gencoloco

Expand Collapse

You're welcome

10. All Anime

Give Justice to Sanji San not raid suit.
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

It is very weird to find this thread and a story similar to this happens to pop up in the third chapter of the book i recently started reading called "subtle art of not giving a fuck" The story is about Hiroo Onada who was also one of the last Japanese holdouts.

11. Rexraptor

Pass on what you have learnt as a Simple Cell
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Someone from Political Sciences here? So, that this can be explained correctly. This is Awesome canceling 'cause of a creator's comments. Uh-Huh. This is a case of New Political trail. XD

12. Yumavo Cado

Tinyhands McSchnuffin
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

The US is no better when it comes to outcries about "disrespecting the troops."