1. As a final farewell gift to our beloved creator, we're planning to make a "thank you" video. If you'd like to be involved, you can read more here.
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Shonen Jump Magazine to Launch 6 New Series

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga News' started by Marco Polo, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Marco Polo

「DREAM STATE」
    Administrator Member of the Year 2018
    Expand Collapse

Article in full:

Shonen Jump Magazine to Launch 6 New Series By Kuroko's Basketball, Beelzebub, More Authors

Authors of Eyeshield 21, Sun-Ken Rock, Magical Pâtissier Kosaki-chan also launch new series
    This year's ninth issue of Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine is revealing on Monday that the magazine will launch six new series between the 10th issue to the 16th issue. The new series' titles and authors include:

Bokutachi wa Benkyō ga Dekinai (We Can't Study) by Taishi Tsutsui
    The manga launches in the 10th issue of Weekly Shonen Jump on February 6, and the first chapter will have 54 pages and an opening color page. The manga centers on Yuiga, a student studying for his college entrance exams. One day two beautiful young women appear before him. Tsutsui is drawing the Nisekoi spinoff manga Magical Pâtissier Kosaki-chan, and also wrote the Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Sweets Honey spinoff manga.

U19 (pronounced "Under Nineteen") by Yūji Kimura
    The manga launches in the 11th issue on February 13. The juvenile action series centers on boys who live under adult rules. Kimura previously wrote the "Peach Pluck" and "Garden" one-shot manga in Weekly Shonen Jump.

Robo no Ryūgakuki (A Robot's Study Abroad Chronicle) by Hitsuji Kondaira
    The manga launches in the 12th issue on February 20. The manga centers on a robot from the underworld who comes to the human world. Kondaira won the 10th "Gold Future Cup" contest in Weekly Shonen Jump in 2015 with the one-shot "Genjūi Toteku" manga.

Hara Peko no Marie (Marie the Hungry) by Ryūhei Tamura
    The manga launches in the 13th issue on February 27. The battle romantic comedy manga centers on a boy named Taiga and a girl who lives next door to Taiga who has a secret. Tamura drew the Beelzebub manga in Weekly Shonen Jump from 2009-2014.

Dr. Stone by illustrator Boichi and original author Riichirou Inagaki
    The manga launches in the 14th issue on March 6. The science-fiction adventure series follows what happens when suddenly the world's biggest-ever "crisis" arrives. Inagaki (with illustrator Yuusuke Murata) wrote the Eyeshield 21 manga from 2002-2009. Boichi drew the Sun-Ken Rock manga, and one of the stories in the Trigun: Multiple Bullets anthology manga. He recently drew the Terra Formars Asimov spinoff manga.

Robot × Laserbeam by Tadatoshi Fujimaki
    The manga launches in the 16th issue on March 18. The high school golfing manga centers on a boy whose nickname is "Robot" who encounters golf for the first time. Fujimaki serialized his Kuroko's Basketball manga (pictured above right) in Weekly Shonen Jump from 2008-2014.

The most recent new manga in Weekly Shonen Jump are Yoshimichi Okamoto's Demon's Plan manga and Takamasa Moue's Ole Golazo manga. The manga launched on November 21 and November 28, respectively. Viz Media's Weekly Shonen Jump digital anthology published the first three chapters of both manga in English as part of the company's "Jump Start" initiative.

--- Source

By @menma:

Some pretty interesting looking new series coming in from the looks of it, hopefully some will be able to fill the gaps left by the likes of Toriko and Bleach....
    The ones I think I'd be most likely to read are We Can't Study and Dr. Stone, they look like they'd be the funniest. That being said, I might check out Robot x Laserbeam just to see what the KnB mangaka is up to now.

Which ones do you think look the best?

menma likes this.
  2. menma

Uncle
    First Mate
    Expand Collapse

Mangastream translated the preview page in the WSJ magazine

022.jpg

Owl likes this.
  3. menma

Uncle
    First Mate
    Expand Collapse

#3 menma, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
    No matter how much i try think about it, i just can't see myself read a manga about Golf. Also sorry for the double post!
    Must say that i don't really find any of them appealing to me at first glance, one thing that can't help but notice, we seen the newest mangas that have been released all were fantasy ones, and all of them is really bad in rankings and most likely also in the sales.

These 6 though seems to be rather slice of life types with a faint touch of fantasy, Maybe the preferences in Japan have changed since Naruto, One piece, Bleach days where all of them were fantasy based mangas almost!

Betelgeuse likes this.
  4. Betelgeuse

Red Supergiant
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

Me too xD I'll still check it out to see if it surpasses my expectations.

None of the manga here caught my attention but I'll still give them a shot. Some of my favorite series didn't get a strong start either so I'll focus more on the execution of the story rather than the beginning.

menma likes this.
  5. Marco Polo

「DREAM STATE」
    Administrator Member of the Year 2018
    Expand Collapse

Does anyone know if scans for the first one of these have come out yet?