1. As a final farewell gift to our beloved creator, we're planning to make a "thank you" video. If you'd like to be involved, you can read more here.
  2. Our One Piece User Tournament is back. Join the fun now!
  3. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Staff Introduction: Seiryu

Discussion in 'Konnichiwa!' started by Seiryu, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I'm actually a very quite person by my nature, so I have no idea where to begin or what to do, but I am good at just going with the flow so we'll see how this goes (or blow up in my face!).

I'm the self-proclaimed old-fut of the community ("old-man" in Hawaiian Pidgin). I've been following the series on a weekly basis since late 2005. I was in an advanced Japanese class (pretty much all of us had at least a parent fluent in Japanese) where the teacher started a manga library. Pretty much the entire class couldn't stop raving about One Piece, so I got dibs on the first few volumes and I was immediately hooked.

Perfectly befitting of the old-fut stereotype, y'all got it damn easy now with the series the most popular in the world. Getting a decent translation was impossible (until K-F came around) and there were episodes that never got released until months later (maybe even a year or so). The only positive for me is that Japan did not care about leaked material, so raws consistently came out 3-8 days before a scanlation.

I'm also the chief overanalytical person in the community. Now that I think about it, this probably goes back to my grandpa. So I am self-taught on how to play poker. When I was in 1st or 2nd grade, we started betting chocolates and that was only further motivation on developing a strategic mindset from a young age. It didn't take long before I was winning all the chocolates (and that ended the betting of snacks).

Since I'm on a storytelling roll, I must emphasize that you should not take my blunt writing style in any negative manner. I'm only here because I want to learn more about the series, and EVERY opinion matters. Back to when I first joined, we had Bufford, who was our resident completely illogical theorist. I had complete respect for him because he was constantly learning and getting better and better with creating theories. People seemed to never respect his opinion, but he had completely legit theories (even if just once in a while).

My @$$-hole writing style probably stems from my schooling. Although I hated every second of it, I was in every single advanced/AP level English class (thankfully with a bunch of friends). Since I learned how to write in a time-restricted and high demand situation, I've done nothing but argue my point bluntly. Only having to take one English class in my entire doctoral pathway didn't help either, but I would've sucked in other classes anyway so I lucked out there.

But to go back to the community theme, my out of date signature reflects what I have and always will feel. Oda puts so much loving care into his baby, every single fan is missing out on things. I am selfishly here because I want to learn more. I have a hard time thinking anyone here doesn't want to learn more about the best series in the world (by far the closest thing to literary mastery). Of course it's natural to not 100% agree all the time, but I think it's all about maximizing the good/fun parts.

It looks like I'm the last regular that's fluent enough in Japanese, so feel free to tag me or start a conversation if ya got any/random requests.

Thanks for sticking through the tough times, and I have all the confidence in the world in my fellow staffers @Marco Polo, @sweetjacky, @Kyros, and @Chaudfontaine. I just found out facebook screwed us over, but I think we've got the perfect niche community of avid One Piece fans.

皆よろしくお願いいたします !(Minna yorishiku onegaiitashimasu: I ask for everyone's help and cooperation)

2. sweetjacky

Back in Black
    Administrator
    Expand Collapse

Nice introduction, didn't know you speak Japanese. That's so cool!

I actually feel like I found out more about you now than I did ever before xD

Seiryu and Marco Polo like this.
  3. Kia

Kia
    All about amare, anima, and anime.
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for some great discussions! Nice intro. ^_^

Seiryu and Marco Polo like this.
  4. Marco Polo

「MISTA TWELVE」
    Administrator Member of the Year 2018
    Expand Collapse

I kinda wish I spoke Pidgin so I could fire some Pidgin welcome phrases at you. But for now, I’ll just picture you in a sunhat and bright-coloured shirt, drinking mai tais and dancing with hula girls.

Aloha!

Seiryu likes this.
  5. Cleand

Forum Granpa
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

I’m now jealous because you speak Japanese. And based on your introduction, you seem like a strict and serious person. Great intro nonetheless. :)

Seiryu likes this.
  6. Kia

Kia
    All about amare, anima, and anime.
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

Yeah he mentioned pidgin and actually used it a bit but I didn’t even use it or Hawaiian in my response even though they often come out because I tend not to associate them with him in our discussions. ^_^

@Seiryu I should’ve said: mahalo for all the good times we’ve had talking story together lol. I do envy you the ability to get ‘ono grinds though. There’s a place about 45 minutes away that I can go and get some authentic Hawaiian grinds if I can make the trek when they’re open. ^_^

Seiryu likes this.
  7. Drewan

Bezzy Bomb
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

I never had any idea you know Japanese.

That's really cool! Nice intro. :D

Seiryu likes this.
  8. PirateKing_D_Luffy

Navigator
    Expand Collapse

Seiryu likes this.
  9. Monster Trio

青眼の究極竜
    Shichibukai Member of the Year 2015
    Expand Collapse

Aye cool intro, glad to know more about you~ :grin:

Seiryu likes this.
  10. Dreamer

I'm more like a stone than a snowflake
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

It's nice to have a guy like you here :).

Seiryu likes this.
  11. Cobain

Original Nami-lover
    Supernova
    Expand Collapse

Nice intro, I don't think I had the chance to meet you this deeply before.

Btw, why so seiryu? Ba-dum-tss

Cleand and Seiryu like this.
  12. Storm chaser

Rock n' Roll
    Supernova
    Expand Collapse

Awsome introduction. Good luck, tough I doubt you will need it. :usopp:

Seiryu likes this.
  13. Johannes

The End of the Beginning
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

You've been the first Mod to ever help me in this community (I'm really glad for that) :D, as always do what you do best :cool:!

Seiryu likes this.
  14. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

I probably should be in the Japanese section more but we’ll see.

I gotta read everyone else’s intro threads later too.
    Thanks and right back at ya!

The reply button is being weird so I’ll tag the right Marco @Marco Polo thankfully most locals don’t wear the loud aloha shirts but definitely lots of sun, beach, drinks, and some dancing!
    And now it’s working again...but I’m open to helping out if you want to learn Japanese. Thanks. Out of curiosity what gave off a strict vibe? I’m serious but I’m usually finding loopholes in rules so I would consider myself the opposite.
    Feels a bit exclusive so I think I never bothered from that aspect but that’s the one good thing about people moving to the mainland in that people take the culture (and more importantly the food) with them. At least it isn’t too far if a craving hits. But thanks (imaginary shaka emoji).
    Thanks. Definitely really useful for One Piece with all the subtleties Oda uses.
    Thanks and hopefully help keep this place going strong.
    Thanks and glad I don’t suck at storytelling.
    And I’m definitely glad to be a part of this community.
    Haha...I’m always serious! Thanks and glad this helped break the ice.
    Thanks. For the One Piece side...but the other stuff I probably will.
    You’re very welcome. Just doing my job and I’ll give it my best shot.

15. Cleand

Forum Granpa
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

I wanted to learn Japanese. Just didn't have the time. LOL.

I'm not sure. Maybe the way your introduction looked to me? Does that make sense? Sometimes when you're just reading the message, the emotions do not come across. Maybe I misinterpret you. Anyway, enough seriousness. We're glad to have you! :)

Seiryu likes this.
  16. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Oh, man...Japanese is probably one of the hardest languages to learn. Definitely a huge time commitment, so I lucked out I heard it as a kid and was forced to start at a young age.

Haha...I won't deny that I'm serious with anything I "work" at, so you're 100% spot on for that part. I would suggest checking out the Japanese section though. Things slowed down, but there's some good resources there.

Cleand likes this.
  17. Cleand

Forum Granpa
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

Will definitely check that out. Currently, I'm avoiding that section along with the anime & manga because I might drown with a lot of threads to reply to. I'm planning to go there though one of this days. What I did is to catch up first with the other sections. I already did. So no reason avoiding the love of my life now.

Seiryu likes this.
  18. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Of course, at your pace. I would personally say there's no need to check every thread. Just gotta browse through and read the stuff that catches your attention.

Cleand likes this.
  19. Cleand

Forum Granpa
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

I'm taking my time. Haha. But thanks for the advice. :)

Seiryu likes this.