1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Tama’s Ability and its Importance to the Beast Pirates

Discussion in 'One Piece Theories' started by Marco Polo, Sep 14, 2018 at 4:56 AM.

1. Marco Polo

circus act
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

#1 Marco Polo, Sep 14, 2018 at 4:56 AM
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 5:03 AM
    So I was just talking to @Jawahib and the question of what Tama’s ability is came up. We know she pulls part of her cheek off, but it didn’t really do anything memorable. So why are the Beast Pirates after it? They can’t just be after her because she’s the sweetest kid to ever exist in the One Piece universe (since Kid Luffy, that is). And they’re not. It turns out Tama’s ability is as big a deal as Holdem is making it out to be.

This theory isn’t so long, and for anyone who’s been paying more attention than me (I assume that’s most of you), it may not even be much of a theory.

In Chapter 911, we see Luffy meet Tama for the first time, and within the first two pages of their interaction, Tama’s ability is summed up.

0B4A9B8A-7BB8-434A-9C9E-E48DAB50210A.png

9E3826D0-7523-41AA-9A72-94A9C2BA6EBA.png

So to summarise what we see in those two pages:

> Tama pulls off part of her cheek
    > She feeds her cheek to the big baboon
    > The baboon, who was angry at first, becomes tame

What initially seemed like a throwaway ability actually seems to have a really significant power - the ability to tame wild animals. Given the “beastly” nature of a lot of the Beast Pirates, it definitely has its uses. Let’s take a look at Chapter 915, where we meet Holdem for the first time:

13E3AB84-BCD1-42D0-9214-1AFF091154E9.png

The key quote here is “those two are basically two souls in one body.” Holdem doesn’t seem to have control over the lion parts granted to him by his SMILE Fruit - the lion has independent thoughts and emotions. This problem likely affects several other SMILE users too; it’s likely Holdem isn’t the only user to have this issue.

As for how Tama fits into this, it’s as follows: with the help of Tama’s ability, SMILE users in the Beast Pirates who have a similar problem to Holdem can gain control of their misbehaving animal parts.

EDIT: They may also use the ability to tame more wild beasts, since some of the crew appear to be using them to ride across the country. Since the creatures on Wano seem to be pretty big, it’d be quicker to tame them using Tama’s ability than without.

That’s it, really.

Thoughts?

Seiryu, Yuuzume, ignisC4t and 2 others like this.
  2. Storm chaser

Rock n' Roll
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Sounds quite right. She would be a big threat to them if she tamed them and they would take her side or something.

Do you think it can work on humans too?

Yuuzume and Marco Polo like this.
  3. ignisC4t

Expand Collapse

i've seen some smile user at zou, yeah, jack's underling hand changed to wolf head. some can control and some can't.

look like tama's ability can affect smile user with "animal head" in their body.

it just crossed in my head...

Marco Polo likes this.
  4. Marco Polo

circus act
    Expand Collapse

If it could it’s basically Conqueror’s Haki, which would make Tama very dangerous indeed

Storm chaser likes this.
  5. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

That would be very interesting indeed but I'm just not too sure. It seems like, as deformed SMILE users, they're just envious of actual Devil Fruit users. We'll see though, it is unlike Oda to give a character a power that won't matter later on in the story.

Marco Polo likes this.
  6. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

That sounds about right to me.

My take was that she was a threat because she could tame beasts. Thus, she could potentially tame zoans as well. And they want her power to ensure that they’ve got the zoans (artificial and natural), under their sole control as well as to ensure that all wild beasts on the island were on their side, not the rebellion’s.

Thanks for taking the time to write up your thoughts and share them. ^_^

GoldenVenus, Yuuzume and Marco Polo like this.
  7. Yuuzume

Slayer Candidate
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Assuming her power worked on SMILE users,which I agree it does,it would most likely work on Zoan devil fruit users too since the principle is the same.Considering that Holdem didn't simply kill her when he got a hold of her,I assume that the Beast pirates don't simply fear her ability,though it'd be justified if they did.With that in mind,one scenario that I can imagine is the one you mentioned and I quite agree with it.Considering the side effects of eating a SMILE,the possibility of many users other than Holdem having the same problem is quite high.

The other scenario is a little more farfetched but it's one I find quite interesting.Based on the premise that Tama's ability can control the soul of an animal,her powers could be the key to a duel wielding Zoan devil fruit user by quelling the reaction of the animal based devils consumed in the said scenario.

So yes,I quite like the base premise that is "Tama can affect the soul of the animals of SMILE users" and the scenario that you built based on that.I definitely agree with Stormey ( @Storm chaser ) on the fact that she poses a huge threat to the beast pirates,but as @Kia has said as well,the benefits reaped by taking advantage of their ability probably affected the greed of the beast pirates more than fear did.

GoldenVenus, Storm chaser and Kia like this.
  8. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Bad translation...the term 二人 ("two people" is used), and absolutely nothing about souls is mentioned. Probably the mistranlation comes from the other key term of 一心同体 ("being on the same wavelength", or in this case physically being united; something like "being one in the same" in terms of the "two people"). The second kanji in this compound word is the kanji for "soul" so maybe they incorrectly extended the soul aspect from there. The "two people" aspect clearly limits it to a physical standpoint though (Oda is obsessive over every word chosen exactly for stuff like this).

I am going to assume Holdem is the exception and with his defeat, he was more for comedic relief. Take away all of this, I would agree with the theory's rationale completely.

9. GoldenVenus

Lord of the Underworld
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Quite agree with this. The only reason for the Beast Pirates to go after Tama should have something to do with them, which only means that there's a high possibility that Tama's ability enables her to have control over all kinds of beasts, including the Zoan type df users. Though the fact that she could produce dango from her cheek is a bit... uhmm... well anyway.

But I don't really think it works on humans. Well, I DON't want it to work on humans, because like @Marco Polo said, that's basically Haoshoku Haki, and if there's suddenly a power that is just like Haoshoku Haki, it makes this haki power sort of nothing and I don't exactly like that.

Marco Polo likes this.
  10. Marco Polo

circus act
    Expand Collapse

Interesting, thank you for this correction ^_^

Luckily the change in translation doesn’t affect the overall idea of the theory too much, since Tama’s ability would still likely be able to help Holdem bring his lion parts under control

Yeah I think giving Tama pseudo-Conqueror’s Haki could be a risky move, unless we get hints that she’s supposed to be an important figure in the future, like Momonosuke.