1. The results of the Member of the Year voting are in... Find out who won!
  2. The Monthly PAW February 2020 is out now. Check it out!
  3. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

That Awkward Moment

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Yeah You, May 30, 2015.

1. Chaudfontaine

Chaudinante Fontamingo
    Member of the Season Super Moderator Member of the Year 2017
    Expand Collapse

Hello!

The awkward moment when somebody tries to speak english to you but you don't understand what they are saying.
    Happend a lot here in Nepal.
    Superawkward because you are standing there like huu? And the other one just repeats his sentence with his same flaws.

Galkie likes this.
  2. Kia

Kia
    “Don’t try to find a reason for somebody’s love.”
    Supernova Member of the Year 2019
    Expand Collapse

Eek. Better than the English speakers going to foreign countries trying to speak to others in English, failing then just trying louder and more slowly.

For me it would be that awkward moment when people in Europe assumed I was African and spoke French so they just started speaking French to me. Luckily I could respond and not get the angry response that my classmates got upon the discovery that they were Americans.

Better yet—that awkward moment when a couple of people think you (a kid) and your mom don’t speak German (she doesn’t) so they talk smack about you in line at a fast food place and are shocked when a six year old comes over and tells them off in fluent Deutsch with a smile on her face before returning to her place in line and telling her mom it was nothing to worry about.

Galkie likes this.
  3. Marco Polo

"administrator"
    Administrator Member of the Year 2018
    Expand Collapse

that awkward moment when you’re marco polo

4. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

That awkward moment when your date asks if you wanna go somewhere to make out and your brain short circuits because the idea that he’d ask never occurred to you so you’re trying to find words and aware that he’s looking for a blush that is blessedly hidden by your skin tone.

Galkie likes this.
  5. Galkie

Anime-Lover.
    Apprentice
    Expand Collapse

If you like him, Yes.
    If not, No.

6. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

It was more a matter of being demisexual and pretty dense when it comes to these things. I hadn’t considered going from the conversations we were having to making out yet? Or thought that he was attracted to me? It seemed out of the blue lol. It was still early in the date though. I said that since I didn’t have a clear answer right away, I’d go with no. ^_^

Galkie likes this.
  7. Galkie

Anime-Lover.
    Apprentice
    Expand Collapse

I'm sorry, didnt know you where demisexual.
    Guys will always be guys in the end, they don't experience being a demisexual very often and just like to get straight to it.

The no is obvious then. Take your time and get to know each other, if he can't do that. He isn't the right one.

8. LadyGhost

Queen of the Ghosts
    Helmsman
    Expand Collapse

The awkward moment when your classmates are leaving and states that they are going to miss you, and you have to fake that you will miss them as well.

9. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

No worries; how could you know? He and I have been texting for a month or so and this is our second date, it just felt like an abrupt moment? Or, I’m really dense. Also, I’m perfectly good with saying no lol. I’m a bit of a demisexual nympho so it’s weird. I adore sex. It just takes a bit to flip my switch. But yeah, everyone has their own criteria for what would determine their response in that scenario. We worked things out just fine. And obviously anyone who doesn’t respect boundaries gets kicked to the curb so quickly that their head would spin. ^_^
    Ah. That’s when it would be silence or just awkward because I’d be saying, “thanks, bye!” Or otherwise reacting to having received/heard their sentiments without expressing the same. No lies from me. Why should you fake it? I mean if there’s some genuine sentiment you can express, that’s better. Even genuine surprise that they’ll miss you is better than false claims to miss them, I’d think. But I’m weird like that. *shrug*

Good luck with future such situations.

10. LadyGhost

Queen of the Ghosts
    Helmsman
    Expand Collapse

@Kia I have classmates that comes and goes every week, and when they want to hug everyone goodbye, I feel that it's easier to fake that I am going to miss them than be silent, and create an even more awkward situation. So I rather pretend that I will miss them, and be glad to never see them again xD

11. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

So long as you have a system that works for you. ^_^ I’d just hate for you to feel obligated to give someone access to you out of social convention. Everyone is capable of determining their own limits and what is the least stressful for them. ^_^

12. LadyGhost

Queen of the Ghosts
    Helmsman
    Expand Collapse

Well I would rather say nothing, but I am waaaaay to lazy to go through that conversation, instead of lying for two minutes and never see that person again. If it was someone who wished to speak with me after they left, I would say no ^^

13. Mapache

means raccoon
    Supernova
    Expand Collapse

And do they then think you don't speak English very well? That exact same thing happened to me in Spain.