1. As a final farewell gift to our beloved creator, we're planning to make a "thank you" video. If you'd like to be involved, you can read more here.
  2. Our One Piece User Tournament is back. Join the fun now!
  3. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

The Formpeace Xmas Story intro

Discussion in 'Writer's Corner' started by Grin, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Grin

Talentless
    Member of the Year 2016 Shichibukai
    Expand Collapse

#1 Grin, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    Hello to my friends from Forumpiece, it's this piece of shit again! You thought it was over? Nope! And hello to you from OPF. This is something I used to do at the old forum. Make characters out of my fellow forum members with or without their consent and make a story out of it. Sounds fun? Good! Let me know if you'd like to be a part of it. But for now, let's begin!

It was cold. No matter how hard I tried to cover myself in blankets, I could not quite escape the chilling hand of winter. Perhaps the fact that I hadn't quite managed to cast the warm-this-shack-up spell correctly had something to do with it. Either way, I was too exhausted to try and do anything about it anymore.

This was of course complicated by how cold it had gotten. It was way too cold to sleep. What if I died in my sleep and never woke up again? Or froze into a popsicle over night? Surely Yum Yum would find that funny, that sadist for a talking cat. He had even tucked himself right next to me to try and siphon what little warmth I had left. Bastard.

"Green, could you stop turning around so much? I can't sleep..." the cat complained audibly, and yawned.

Without opening my eyes, I clumsily tried to whoop his ass with the hand I wasn't holding under the pillow. Seeing as I grabbed only air, he had either moved or I just missed. The angle was awkward for asskicking to begin with, so I gave up. He'd get what's coming for him next morning.

"Whoa, chill! I just wanna get some shuteye before work!" he said.

I groaned. Did he just say chill? Really? Intentional or not, he had crossed a line just now. Maybe making some slippers out of him would warm me up. Maybe those slippers would warm me up. This was a win/win situation, no doubt.
    With this newfound determination, I shot up from bed and instinctively shivered as I held my body with both arms. Those blankets had put in more work than I thought, it seemed. But being dressed in pajamas would not hinder me from delivering some divine punishment.

"You know I can hear all this over the soul link, right?" Yum said from the top of my head.

I swung both my arms up in what looked like a black belt kata as I tried to crush him between them. However, the furry pain-in-the-ass nimbly hopped off my head and disappeared under the bed. I followed only to find darkness and dust. This really reminded me of how lazy I had gotten with cleaning up. But the important thing now was finding Yum, so I slid back out and took a look around the room. There weren't that many hiding spots after I had to sell a bunch of furniture to help pay the rent.

Somewhere between the bookshelf with about three books in it and the door out of the room, I spotted an odd looking shadow. I quickly threw a pillow at it, and heard a pained "meow". Stupid cat. I had him now! Grabbing another pillow in my left hand, I took my practiced magic weapon fighting stance and dashed towards my target.

"It's over!" I yelled as I swung the pillow as hard as I could.

I felt a chill go down my back as I hit nothing but air in the corner. Had that bastard used some sort of ninja body replacement technique? Was this ventriloquism? In my panic, I fell over on the floor as something dark flew past above me, right into the bookcase. With a loud crash, the shelf fell over on top of what had just put a hole in it. I dusted myself off as I stood up to investigate.

"Yum? You alright? That looked more painful than what I was about to do." I asked.

The shadow of a cat slithered out from under the pile of wood and paper. It was visibly shivering. Whether it was from cold or shock I couldn't tell. But regardless, this little tussle had really warmed me up. Smiling a bit, I crawled back under the covers. Maybe this was all good. I could get couple of hours of sleep before work. Maybe Jackson would also let me off easy tomorrow. After all, it was almost christmas.

"Oh by the way, we need to go to work in about 20 minutes." Yum said, and hopped on top of my head.

What? Seriously? I know we stayed up late but this was unheard of! We didn't get any sleep at all! But in times like these, it was important to think positively. Yes, that was what I would do. After all, I knew many techniques for staying up all day after staying up all night. It had been like that back in magic school. Why would anything change now?

I stood up to get dressed while waving above my head despite Yum hopping off already. I was clearly tired. But this wasn't the time to be late or skip work. We really needed the money, and it was a miracle we had gotten this gig to begin with. I truly hoped Jackson never found out I wasn't actually her brother's former gardener's dog's last owner's sister. But in this economy, you had to do what you could to get butter on your bread.

Reaching in the pocket of my coat, I fished out some bubblegum. Chewing on it was perfect for keeping me awake. It also lasted for hours, so it was a good investment for what little money we had. I could pretend I was eating even when I didn't actually ingest anything.

With these despairing thoughts, I finished putting on my boots and started to look for my broom. I knew it was old fashioned to fly on a broom these days, but it was somewhat nostalgic to me. And I really couldn't be bothered to focus on an actual flight spell when I could just do one cast on it and then let it do the job for me. With that, we were off.

[​IMG]

(chapter art by @Yumavo Cado)

Congratulations, you got to the end of the first part! I know it's a bit short, but I just wanted to get this out there before I'm going out this morning. Look forward to the rest of it being longer parts. Or don't, if you hate reading. I promise it's not like an actual book though. Oh, I'll do you a favor and add short character profiles at the end when they are introduced:

Name: Green
    Who: @Grin
    Inspiration: For some reason everyone thinks I'm a girl, so of course my character is a girl.
    History: After totally flunking most of her tests in magic school, she somehow managed to graduate despite her incompetence in using all forms of magic. However, she tries her best to keep a positive attitude. Possesses a "soul link" with Yum Yum, her familiar. This means that they can't EVER really be left alone. It's more so a curse than a blessing, but it has its uses.

Name: Yum Yum
    Who: @Yumavo Cado
    Inspiration: He likes Ghibli movies and one of them had a flying girl with a cat, so this is a parody of that.
    History: There's not much known of familiars before they appear to their masters. Perhaps he was something greater before, or he was just a non-talking cat. He doesn't really wanna talk about it. Asking about cheese burgers is racist.

(Next part: http://opforum.net/threads/the-formpeace-xmas-story-chapter-1.25076/ )

Christina Choi, Red, Dineria and 5 others like this.
  2. Jawahib

Both Exotic and Professor
    First Mate
    Expand Collapse

You are a 1000% legend. You've got quite a talent, and I love reading these.
    Remember, if you ever need a dodgy merchant, feel free to use me :D. I can even phonetically simulate an Arabic accent for you :P

Dineria, Wolf and Grin like this.
  3. Grin

Talentless
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for commenting, though this is a bit short coming from you! Naturally your character will return, but that's later on. I'm also biding my time in case I'll get some new ones in in place of those who didn't return to this forum.
    But seriously, I'm a sucker for praise
    [​IMG]

Jawahib likes this.
  4. Yumavo Cado

big bear steamin’ hams
    First Mate
    Expand Collapse

JewDoo, Dineria and Vesi like this.
  5. Lt. | ArkZ

Balls to the wall, or not at all...
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

If I remember correctly, I was an Evil General who was OP, and did stuff for someone he cared for, with a scar. Make me the Villain again, Grin-san :D

6. sweetjacky

Back in Black
    Administrator
    Expand Collapse

Yaaay, finally the story is back! <3

Btw is it the same like before or is it different this time?

7. Grin

Talentless
    Expand Collapse

It's mostly the same, all the differences come from where people are absent. These people will be replaced with existing or new characters to make a slightly different story overall. I'll be sure to poke fun at the old version at some points, so you might like that.

8. sweetjacky

Back in Black
    Administrator
    Expand Collapse

Oh nice! Can't wait for more :D

9. Wolf

Harbringer of Reality
    Expand Collapse

Wow, I really like this story intro... Loled at the punishment part XDD

This looks quite promising, nice writing touch you have got there @Grin :coffeepal:

PS: You never sounded like a girl to me... I wonder why many others assumed that way:iwonder:

Can't wait for more chapters!!!

10. Jawahib

First Mate
    Expand Collapse

As someone who was confident he was a girl for 2 months, wasn't sure for 3, and then realised he is a guy, I think I can answer this. Grin constantly had a female character has his avatar, much like he did now, but to memory it was Ruby from RWBY for a very long time, and his whole profile page was dominated by pink; which is something more common in girls than boys. On top of that, there was a certain mannerism in the way he spoke, and you can still kinda detect now, which is very annoyingly unisex. I can't describe it properly, but there is something about the way he writes that completely throws off my ability to guess the gender of a writer.

Lt. | ArkZ, Dineria and Wolf like this.
  11. Grin

Talentless
    Expand Collapse

I don't actually remember this part, lol. But I should ask if you mean how I begged @Dineria and Brada to make a pink Yuno Gasai theme for the forum?

12. Wolf

Harbringer of Reality
    Expand Collapse

Ha ha, I get it now ^ ^

13. Dineria

The Master of All Four Elements
    Expand Collapse

YAAAAAAAS! I can be evil again! :D

14. Jawahib

First Mate
    Expand Collapse

Nah it wasn't that. The times I checked your profile there was always a dominant pink cover image, so I just went with it :P

15. Yumavo Cado

big bear steamin’ hams
    First Mate
    Expand Collapse

And this is why gender studies exist. Is Grin blurring the line between genders or was there never such a line to begin with? Is this line something given or merely a social construct? Tune in next week on the gender bender christmas story to find out.

Red, Wolf and JewDoo like this.
  16. Grin

Talentless
    Expand Collapse

I'll be waiting for that art for next week.

17. Lt. | ArkZ

Balls to the wall, or not at all...
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

I've said it before, I'll say it again, Grin is the Trap of the Forum.

JewDoo likes this.
  18. JewDoo

Expand Collapse

I never got featured in your stories :pensive: Although I enjoyed reading them back in fp :P

19. Grin

Talentless
    Expand Collapse

Sorry about that. It mostly comes down to when I think of a "good" idea from someone's habits or behaviour. I also didn't finish last time, so that also played a part in lack of Jewdoo. Maybe this time? Could it be...?!

20. Deathbloke

voi-bloody-la
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

GRIIIIIIIIIIIIIN :rage::rage:
    Where's my shiny gladiator???????