1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

The lurking legend

Discussion in 'One Piece Manga' started by amuitatuseru, Jun 17, 2018.

1. amuitatuseru

Expand Collapse

Straight to the point >>> What do you guys think about Shiki being the lurking legend Oda mentioned?
    I may be wrong, but there was a chapter in OP which i pretty much think it was declared cannon but not taking part within the main story and in that chapter we saw a little of the history between Roger and Shiki, aswell as Shiki's capture and escape and whatnot.
    For those of you that remember that chapter (Chapter 0), you should remember it ending with Shiki hiding in some wild island with lots of giant animals and talking with (i guess) someone along his crewmembers that pretty much seems to be a scientist of some sort judging by the words he said. They were plotting something big that could only be achieved in 20 years time, therefore Shiki's decision to go into hiding until those whatever preparations are done.
    Now, I am really not well acquainted with the ages of the OP characters so perhaps someone more knowledgeable of this subject could confirm whether the possibility of Shiki being the Lurking legend is true according to the timelines and the matching of the years that have passed since then, etc.
    Second, just for the beauty of speculating, what do you think about the island that Shiki took refuge on? Could it be some important place? How about that guy he was talking with? Does Vegapunk come in mind when seeing him? There are a lot of possible scenarios that could fit the story.

2. Glaze D. Bacon

Light it up.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Shiki’s arc was in the Strong World movie, so he’s non-canon. I don’t think he’s gonna be coming back for the rest of the series. :P

Behnam and Edinbour like this.
  3. Time

bogan scientist
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Pretty sure Shiki is as canon as Roger. What isn't canon is Strong World. I always take that movie as a fictional story of what would happen if Luffy met Shiki. Anyway, to me lurking means this character has been mentioned before but has yet to show up yet. So Shiki being the lurking legend makes sense. Can't think of anyone else.

4. Glaze D. Bacon

Light it up.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Chapter 0 served as a tie-in to Strong World, so all the events that happened there were non-canon as well. It was just made up to promote the movie.

5. Storm chaser

Rock n' Roll
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Shiki is canon tough, he was the only one who escaped Impel Down before Luffy and the okamas.

There is a theory like this here. I do think he will come in the story someday.
    Personally I dont think the legend is Shiki, but someone new to us. :)

6. Glaze D. Bacon

Light it up.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

But here’s the thing: if Shiki’s battle with Roger and his escape from Impel Down make him canon, then there shouldn’t be a point in making Strong World. If he were to show up canonically in the story, the movie would have no relevance and we’d all be super confused. :P

7. GoldenVenus

Lord of the Underworld
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Oda used the word 'introduce.' So I'm assuming it's someone entirely new and has not appeared before. Like the 'rocks,' for example.

8. Booker

Not A Member
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Did you ever hear of the thing called money?
    This mystical stuff every movie is made for.
    The movie has no relevance after all and what be confused for? Stuff that happens in the manga has priority over the rest, end of the confusion right there.

Chapter 0, unlike Strong World, fits into the story without a problem, doesn't contradict canon events in anyway and was drawn and written by Oda.
    Everything that makes it legit to be part of the canon.

9. GoldenVenus

Lord of the Underworld
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

I've always assumed Shiki is a canon character since Oda created the character and he was mentioned as the legendary pirate who escaped Impel Down. There's no reason to mention him in the main arcs if he's not a canon. Well, idk. I don't think it's a problem if he's a canon or not. He can be either and I'm fine with it.

10. amuitatuseru

Expand Collapse

Good to get some confirmations that Shiki is actually cannon. Leaving that aside, yes, your point is very much valid, I mean if Oda trully pays much attention to his words then we might be getting a new character which would actually be more pleasing than Shiki tbh

11. Storm chaser

Rock n' Roll
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I think what happens in manga, is canon. Dunno about the movie so much. Still, he was mentioned in the manga as the only pirate to ever escape impel down.

Maby strong world is just a movie, fanservice etc.

12. Time

bogan scientist
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Ah yes. You could be right. The Rock/Lock guy could be the legend Oda teased us with.
    It actually ties into the manga as well. And as I said, Strong World is kinda a what-if, non-canon story. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Zephyr from Z is a canon character too but the movie isn't.

13. gboxrkw

Expand Collapse

It was said that Oda will introduce a Legend related to whitebeard.
    INTRODUCE clearly means that someone who we have not yet met or heard of someone like IMU-SAMA or the Rocks Pirate Captain.

14. Glaze D. Bacon

Light it up.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

The manga indeed does have priority, but Chapter 0 was an exclusive manga that was given to people who watched the movie when it came out. Not many people were able to get their hands on it since it wasn’t mass-produced like the regular volumes, so it’s only natural that the majority wouldn’t know about Shiki’s origin story. If Oda had the sweet time to come up with everything in Chapter 0 while he was already drawing the Marineford arc, he could’ve included it at the end of one of his volumes.

15. Glaze D. Bacon

Light it up.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Zephyr is also non-canon, since his history included his defeat by Luffy in Film: Z.

16. Booker

Not A Member
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Yep, completely correct, does any of that make it non-canon though?
    Also, why would he have to do that? Shiki isn't important to the story at all. He is a nice addition to know about.

17. Glaze D. Bacon

Light it up.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

It’s all non-canon because...why shouldn’t they make a movie with a large emphasis on a “non-important” character?

18. Booker

Not A Member
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

You know that this isn't an actual argument for it being non-canon, yes?
    Non-important doesn't equal non-canon after all.

19. Glaze D. Bacon

Light it up.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Yet Shiki is the only exception to the rule because he wasn't formally introduced in the manga.

20. Booker

Not A Member
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

That is counting Ch. 0 as not part of the manga.