1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

The Potential Effects of Sanji's Wedding Cake!!

Discussion in 'One Piece Manga' started by ckimbrew, Dec 6, 2017.

1. ckimbrew

Expand Collapse

#1 ckimbrew, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    So, if BM really does eat the entire cake, would she become incapacitated or unconscious?? Remember when Usopp knocked out Sugar in Dressrosa?? All of the toys turned into humans. And, that had a devastating effect on Doflamingo's crew.

So, imagine if this cake renders BM unconscious... Oda does like to repeat themes, so picture all of the souls in WCI vanishing. The forest, the chess pieces, their ships, etc!! This would be a blow to a Yonko that would be heard around the world! And, if Luffy also manages to take down Katakuri, the prestige of the SH crew would grow enormously.

Thoughts?

2. Robin-Senpai Is The Best

So great you don't need to insult other girls
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

That is such a great concept!
    It has foundation and everything!

PirateKing_D_Luffy and ckimbrew like this.
  3. Commodore

Expand Collapse

#3 Commodore, Dec 6, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
    a

4. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I think having her do the same thing as Sugar would be the worst possible scenario. That's just terrible writing to repeat yourself so soon.

I'll maintain my theory I've had for months now. She'll become loopy but relaxed after eating the cake, Pudding will snip her memories to make her think the Strawhats are friends, they'll still have to fight Pero and some others but this enables escape without defeating Big Mom.

5. ckimbrew

Expand Collapse

It will be interesting to see. I think showing that one chef's blissful state and then them warning others not to try it was foreshadowing of what's to come.

Also, I believe there will be something BIG that happens as a climax to this arc. Something big and that gives us something else to build on going forward. So, this could be that BIG shakeup. But, I guess we'll see.

6. Date Damon

Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I'm kind of with that theory but on second thought, Pudding would have to do the same to everyone else involved too, which seems very unlikely and impossible. Unless BM(after having her memory altered) insists that they're friends and no one dare or succeeds in telling her otherwise. That said, I'm not a fan of OP's theory either for the reasons mentioned above.

7. W@rlock

Expand Collapse

I don't believe Big Mom's unconciosness will make all the souls vanish... Actually I believe Big Mom's behind all those crazy fruit users that are initially objects... Remember the Cannon-Dog in Alabastra? Initially to believe it was a Dog that ate the cannon fruit, but then we're told that it was a cannon that ate the a dog-dog fruit?. The same case with the elephant-sword of Spandam in the fight against CP-9...

I actually believe (puts tinfoil) that Big mom gave "life" to those items and someone (Vegapunk?) made those items eat fruits... Maybe we will see something about it in the Wano arc since the pattern seems to be Zoan fruits...

8. Udell

Expand Collapse

#8 Udell, Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Big Mom powers work differently than Sugar. Sugar was a touch effect. However Big Mom uses her power to affect people and place it in something entirely new. Big Mom effect won't be undone when she is knocked out IMO. If Moria was knocked out you think everyone would have gotten back their shadows?? Now they wouldn't have which is why Oda had Moria absorb all the shadows otherwise they would have to take out the zombies individually.

The same goes for Law. If he is knocked out the effect of his power isn't remove. People won't suddenly get back their hearts and missing limbs. They still have to find them. Other than Zeus, Napoleon and Prometheus I can't see the homies being affected by Big Mom losing consciousness from eating the cake. Then again that would make Big Mom army easier to deal with.

9. ckimbrew

Expand Collapse

I like that thesis and have given it thought as well. It was just the similarities to the previous arc and other arcs on other topics really made this a strong connection again. A lot of the things the Strawhats accomplish are because of skill and will. But, there are still others that happen by "fate" if you will. Given the "impossible" odds they are up against, I am wondering what else fate has in store for them.

10. ckimbrew

Expand Collapse

Spoilers for 889 are out, and it is looking more and more like the cake just may knock BM out!

That would be the type of confusion they need and the type of victory that would launch the Strawhats into the stratosphere! OMG, especially if Luffy also defeats Katakuri!

11. Marco Polo

ダサい
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

I think this is a really interesting thought, actually

Now we've seen the effect that just a spoonful of the cream filling (behave) had on Bege, I could see the entire cake having a huge effect on Big Mom, especially when she's this hungry. I think one of two things might happen:

1) Big Mom is blown away by the taste and is incapacitated
    2) Big Mom really enjoys the cake and is in a very good mood and lets everyone go and everything is happy

Your point about the souls is quite interesting too, but it's still not overly clear if Big Mom's soul-infused things exist independently of her or not. In fact, now I think about it, the souls her soldiers etc. are infused with may not even be infused with her own soul, since she has that "soul tax" on her residents. I couldn't find the manga page but here's a quote from the One Piece Wiki:

I'm not sure whether the lifespan collected then becomes Big Mom's to control, or if they're still the lifespans of other people that are put directly into her soldiers etc. The only ones that are definitely Big Mom's soul are Zeus, Prometheus and Napoleon:

If Big Mom becoming incapacitated did take out her whole Homie army, it'd be huge, but I'm not 100% sure if it'll actually happen

Elan Morin Moridin and ckimbrew like this.
  12. Jawahib

Busoshoku Haki YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

100% Oda would've made a huge point of the Homies vanishing if Big Mom is knocked out if it was true, so while I think the potential is amazing, I'm gonna have to say no. It'd be too complicated if it was the case, too: would those she stole life from get their lifespans back?

With Sugar, it was clear that the drawback to her being able to turn anyone into a toy by mere touch was that they'd revert if she became knocked out. That actually suits the theme of the Fruit: turn someone into a toy for a day, make a kid's wish come true or something and then bring them back along with everyone's memories in the morning. Doflamingo just creatively perverted that for his own goals.

With Big Mom extracting souls isn't as easy, so it'd make sense that retaining them is easier than Sugar. From what we've seen the victim has to be either willing or show fear in her presence for their soul to be drained, and then she has to eat that soul substance she extracts after choosing the number of years taken. It's a complicated process, a hundredfold more so than Sugar who requires simple contact. From that process alone I think it's safe to assume that its effects will not be lost by something so commonplace has unconsciousness on BM's part. If maintaining the Homies required any conscious effort, I'd argue that her entering her food frenzies would beyond a doubt eradicate whatever effort she exerts to maintain and they would have thus vanished long ago.

It's a good theory, but I don't buy it.

13. Yumavo Cado

suckle my knuckle
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

inb4 it's a marijuana cake

14. Marco Polo

ダサい
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

inb4 "Whole Bake Island"

15. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

The manga 100% mentioned that the blobs are from Big Mom's soul. This confirmed the Awakening aspect, and is also the "rational" reason why nothing will change with a KO. The anime also showed much more clearly how the blobs are the one to randomly disperse the 6 month soul increments as "dandelions". They randomly float around to become the various homies.

Just my thinking, but the chess soldiers are likely the lifespan Big Mom steals and manipulates directly. At least the random homies can be lost without any defensive/tactical concern (since it is only 6 months, I would assume they randomly expire and return to inanimate objects). Maybe the pawns are all from the life tax, but the more powerful chess homies are given responsibilities so randomly becoming inanimate goes against Big Mom's tactical perfection.

Marco Polo and ckimbrew like this.
  16. ckimbrew

Expand Collapse

I love the depth of insight by you moderators!

I understand your thought processes and I am with you both with the unlikeyness of things getting that chaotic as having all souls released.

However, since this is setting up to be one of the climaxes of this arc, there will definitely be a very chaotic scene after the cake and the Katakuri loss.

I think the confusion will be what grants the SH's a chance to escape.

Way far out: what if Luffy has one of those dramatic moments where he defeats Kata and lets out some type of roar that blasts his conquerors haki and everyone takes notice. Would be epic!

A boy can dream! Lol

Seiryu likes this.
  17. Finmordil

Expand Collapse

I agree with this. Imo I think that all the lifespawn that Mama takes away from WCI people and others goes to herself, as if she was like a soul container. Then she can distribute parts of her own fattened soul in many different things such as inanimated objects or living beings -even sunrays or whatever Prometheus is created from.
    And about this I would really love to see 2) here but, since we know how Mama is, she won't let go the SH without any consequencies. Maybe she will reclaim Sanji's lifespawn but Pudding will sacrifice herself because of her love towards him? Maybe BM will take 10 years from each SH? Maybe she will ask for a hostage from the SH (like Brook) in odrder to let all the others go?? Idk, they're just quick thoughts of what could happen once BM eats the cake.

Seiryu likes this.
  18. Elan Morin Moridin

Expand Collapse

It's been set up too long and emphasized too much. The Cake is knocking out even seasoned chefs who are simply sniffing the aroma of it. So yes, Big Mom is getting knocked out by the Cake. But I don't think it is the end of the line.

I see her getting back up again, her unnatural yet starving body metabolizing the Cake in a similar way as Luffy does to prodigious amounts of food. Essentially regenerating her back to her fat self.

ckimbrew likes this.
  19. ckimbrew

Expand Collapse

Okay, so she will get knocked out, but plumped back up due to the amount of calories in the cake!? Lol. I can't wait to see the outcome.

And, if that does happen, what happens while she is unconscious??

I know the theory is grasping at straws, but I don't see enjoying the cake so much that she decides to let the SH's go. As a matter of fact, if she did indeed love the cake so much, then wouldn't she try to keep Sanji? Will the kids let her eat the cake now that they are concerned about the possibility of it being poisoned as someone else mentioned in another thread? Will her getting knocked out spark an even bigger war? I sure hope not, this arc has dragged on long enough.

Maybe she gets knocked out, and Luffy comes out of mirror world with Katakuri resting over his shoulder and then he throws Katakuri's body on top of BM's!!! Now, that would be a Yonkou level exit! :)

Elan Morin Moridin likes this.
  20. Elan Morin Moridin

Expand Collapse

Oda has been really unpredictable this whole arc as to the details. But if let's say BM does get back up, will she remember all the transgressions the SH's committed against her and her crew? If she does, will Pudding's fruit play a role in altering her memories?

Then there's the countdown. It's not counting down the clock to BM's eating of the Cake - she's eating it as soon as its ready and arrived. It's counting down to 1am, the time for the reunion with Luffy. Clearly something major is gonna take place there and then.

We have already seen the SH crew versus Big Mom in 890 (admittedly the weakened, starving version but still she's relatively unscathed). Obviously we will also see what the Captain can do against her as well. Can he stop her rampage, make her compromise and basically end the arc? We'll see if he is strong enough.