1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

The Truth Behind Devil Fruits and SMILEs and The Reason Why Blackbeard Can Use Two Abilities.

Discussion in 'One Piece Theories' started by Yuuzume, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Yuuzume

Slayer Candidate
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

#1 Yuuzume, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Hello once more guys.You can probably guess as much by the title,but this theory will involve several concepts so it'll will be quite big and involve a fair bit of reading.Well,that's no surprise though,some may even have prepared themselves for a bit of reading after they saw the name Yuuzume under the title of the theory.Well,I'll cut the small talk here and go ahead with the theory.

-What are Devil Fruits?

"Devil Fruits are mystical fruits that are found throughout the One Piece world and grant the one who eats them special abilities while also making them vulnerable to sea water" *closes book* *throws book away*. Are we satisfied with that explanation? No,we're not.But Vegapunk is still sitting in Navy research lab building and improving Pacifistas so let's try to come to a conclusion on our own.So,as we all know,when a person eats a devil fruit,they are then referred to as a (name of the fruit)-man.That suggests that the devil fruit doesn't simply grant an ability to it user,it reforms their body down to the molecular level into a body with a completely new set of abilities.That means that to Ace's body,having the properties of fire is normal and the user doesn't feel inconvenient using their powers since they have become "normal" for them.Think about this for a second,we know what abilities each fruit gives because there have been people who have eaten the same fruits before and now there's even an encyclopedia for them.But what about the first time that a person consumed them? How did they know which fruit they ate? They knew it naturally,by instinct.They knew it because it became something normal for them.Like everyone of us knows that we move our legs so that we can walk,or that we can move our arms to pick something up,devil fruit users innately know the abilities they get.I ask you to recall the time when Kaku and Califa ate their devil fruits.At first they said they didn't feel different but Lucci said that they would know their abilities in due time.
    p.txt1.jpg
    And after a while,they each knew what abilities they had gotten without anyone telling them.

Now then,I said that devil fruits alter the user's body down to the molecular level.But how exactly do they do that? The answer is that devil fruit change the genetic makeup of a person,in other words they change their DNA itself.Is that possible? Of course it is.Let's look at how DNA is structured.Most people are probably imagining a picture similar to this:
    dna.jpg
    but I want you to picture an image like this:
    DNA-RNA-58dacf2e5f9b584683a1c375.jpg
    because when I say that devil fruits change the DNA structure of a person,I didn't mean that they change the form of the strand itself.What they change are the nucleotide monomers.Yeah,I can hear you,"What are nucleotide monomers?". If you already know feel free to skip this part but if you don't I'll try to explain it properly.The short answer would the colorful pieces in the picture above that are represented by the letters A,C,T,G. But that isn't really an explanation so let's take it from the top.

DNA molecules are what we call polymers.So,those polymers are basically a sequence of monomers.Oh man,I sound like my high school Biology teacher,that's a bad sign,it probably means you've already started yawning.Forget all those fancy words.Imagine that Polymers are sentences.If polymers are sentences,then monomers are the individual words that form those sentences.So DNA is basically a series of sentences,it's a text.And the only letters in that text are A,C,T and G which probably do remind you of high school Biology.Now,as far as biology goes,we could go further but that's far enough to understand this theory.

So,with your renewed understanding of the DNA structure,I can now tell you that I personally believe that devil fruits change the "words" (the monomers) of the DNA.They replace them with new letters that can't even be found in a normal DNA.For convenience's sake,we can say that they add a D letter in the DNA.Each devil fruit changes the DNA in its own way,its own text.Is that possible? And now you may be thinking "So what?". What does that even accomplish?

DNA is what holds the information that the cells need to make proteins.So with new information,the structure and function of the proteins produced by the cells of a devil fruit user differs from that of a normal person.Proteins are the working force of our body,they do all the jobs needed inside the body.So,the proteins produced inside a devil fruit user can do many more things than the ones produced in a normal human.

So,now that we said all this stuff,what does it mean in the end to eat a devil fruit? Let me put it simply.Eating a devil fruit is like,erasing your computer's operating system software,then putting in a CD (or any other storage device) and installing a different OS.Eating a devil fruit is nothing more than erasing Windows 8 from your computer and then installing Windows 10.There's no magic involved.

-Now,let's talk about another reason why devil fruits are associated with genetics.That reason is the existence of smiles.Smiles are artificially created devil fruits,as we all know.But what exactly does "artificial" mean in this case? How are smiles made? Smiles are made by growing the fruit with the aid of S.A.D. What happens is that the DNA of the fruit is altered while it's growing,to a DNA similar to that of a devil fruit.Can a fruit's DNA be altered? Of course,it happens in real life aswell.One way to accomplish that is by a process called Chemical Mutagenesis.It's basically a process where chemicals are used over a certain time span to slowly alter the DNA of the fruits,in this case that chemical is the S.A.D.

However,as one can imagine,the chemical used for such a process can be quite dangerous to humans.That's why Law said that eating artificial devil fruits has risks.(That's from chapter 698 for anyone interested.)
    p.txt.jpg
    I mean,if we think about it,the one who came up with S.A.D isn't Caesar,it's Vegapunk.So why is Kaido the one with the army of devil fruit users and not the Navy? That's probably because Vegapunk understood that the artificial devil fruits would cause harm to the ones who ate them so he shut the project down.This is how the Gifters and Pleasures from Kaido's army actually ended up looking.
    Gifters.png
    Pleasures.png
    We can distinguish the Gifters thanks to their two black horns and the pleasures thanks to their single white horn.That's a possible genetic mutation that occurred from Caesar using chemicals to create artificial devil fruits,chemicals that cause unwanted alterations in the DNA of the smiley devil fruit users in the form of mutations,at least.

Now,maybe you thought this is the end.Sorry,but no.There are still concept that need to be explored when devil fruits are concerned.

-Why are devil fruit users vulnerable to sea water?

Why would a change in DNA cause people to become vulnerable to sea water? The answer is because water weakens the bonds that hold the DNA together.Take a look at the picture I showed you before.
    DNA-RNA-58dacf2e5f9b584683a1c375.jpg
    As you can see,DNA consists of two strands and each strand has its own set or pieces/blocks that connects with their corresponding counterparts of the other strand.But how are those pieces connected with each other so that the DNA becomes stable? The answer is not glue.It's hydrogen bonds.A hydrogen bond is the bond that connects the hydrogen atoms on the one stand of DNA to the oxygen atoms on the other.What you need to know about this kind of bond,is that it's weak.There are a couple of reasons why such bonds can stabilize the DNA despite being weak.First of all,there are a lot of them.Secondly,they have hydrophobic properties.That means that they don't allow the surrounding water to get near them.That is why the hydrogen bonds are not weakened even though the body of a normal person contains a big percentage (60-70 %on average) of water.So the end result is that the DNA is surrounded by water on the outside but doesn't let water weaken the hydrogen bonds that are on the inside part of the strands.Basically something like this.
    31757_web.jpg
    And lastly,the bond between the monomer pairs (A-T,C-G) also helps in stabilizing the DNA,especially the bond between C and G.This is a bit relevant too but our focus will be the hydrogen bonds.The main thing to remember about the hydrogen bonds is that they can be weakened by water.

We've established that devil fruits change the monomers of the DNA.So the monomers become different from the ones we are familiar with.So we can't say that the strength of the bonds between the new pairs of monomers is the same as before.Also,we don't know the properties of those new monomers.So we also can't assume that they possess hydrophobic properties which help keep the water away.But we do know that devil fruit users get weakened by water so we can make the following assumption."The strength of the bonds between the new pairs of monomers is NOT as strong as before." Just from that the DNA becomes less stable.But there's also this assumption."The new monomers either don't have hydrophobic properties or it has become less powerful" Now the DNA becomes even less stable just from the water inside the human body.However,even though it has become less stable,it's still not a problem.But what happens when you include water from external sources as well? That's when the DNA structure starts to destabilize and begins to unfold,like this:
    Enzymes replicate DNA Image 1.png
    We're talking about the hydrogen bonds of DNA breaking down,something that happens to this extend usually after the death an organism.Devil fruit users essentially come one or two steps before the the state of death itself.They come at the point where the DNA is not completely destabilized but its bonds have been damaged enough to cause its functions to come into disarray.Hence why they seem to get weaker at the very touch of water and why they become completely immobile underwater.

However,here's the 500 million beri question.Why sea water and not purified,drinkable water.That's because purifies water has had the microorganisms,DNase,RNase,salts and all the other impurities that can further damage the DNA removed.In simpler terms,sea water can cause enough harm to the DNA of a DF user to trigger the reaction I mention above,while purified water can't cause enough damage to destabilize it.

-Now,since we have bothered to learn all this stuff about DNA,let's try to implement them to one more concept,shall we? Let's try to explain why Blackbeard was able to obtain 2 devil fruit abilities.

We have established that devil fruits alter the DNA of a person.But what happens if a person has two different sequences in his genetic code? You've guessed right,they could consume 2 different devil fruits without a problem.
    Fig.+8.3,+Cut+and+ligate+2+different+DNAs+with+EcoRI+---)+recombinant+DNA.jpg
    In the first place,why is eating two devil fruits normally impossible? Because that would be like installing two different operating systems in one hard drive (without partitioning the hard drive).Simply put,it's what you would do if you hate your computer and yourself.But we're not talking about computers here (they're more important),we've talking about the very body of the user.There would two different sequences in the same DNA.The information would be messed up and the proteins produced with such information would be messed up as well,the body would lose its functions and begin to go
    haywire.In the end,the conclusion would be what we all know,death.But since each devil fruit can only alter one DNA sequence,a person with two of them could eat two of them without a problem.That would be like installing two OS in the same hard drive (while partitioning the hard drive). So how does Blackbeard have two different sequences of DNA? Is it possible that Blackbeard has a fraternal twin? To that question,we all say to Oda "No,thank you". One weasel (who also killed Ace) is enough at it is.Sometimes,when one out of two fraternal twins dies before it's born,the other sibling absorbs the cells.So did that happen with Blackbeard?It's a bit morbid so let's hope it didn't.And we're left with one other option.Sometimes a baby can absorb the cells of its mother before it is born.The reverse is also possible but our focus right now is Blackbeard.So,we know Blackbeard carries the secret name of D,so his mother also did.Now,can you recall another mother with the name of D that did something astounding during her pregnancy? That's right,Portgas D Rouge.So Blackbeard presumably absorbed some of his mother's DNA,which effectively made him a genetic chimera.Not this one.
    Chimera.png
    This one.
    Fig.+8.3,+Cut+and+ligate+2+different+DNAs+with+EcoRI+---)+recombinant+DNA.jpg
    Now we know why Blackbeard can have two devil fruit abilities at the same time.But wait a minute,Blackbeard didn't eat a second fruit,he stole Blackbeard's abilities.How is that possible? The answer is the power of the Yami Yami no mi.Teach can suck anything out of a person,including a person's DNA cells.That's right,he stole the genetic sequence of Whitebeard's already altered DNA and used it to alter his own second one.But then why did he have to wait until Whitebeard was dead? Well,besides the fact that he would get wrecked if he tried to steal it while Whitebeard was alive,there's another reason as well.While the person is alive,the hydrogen bonds that stabilize the DNA structure are active,and Blackbeard's power isn't enough to to simply steal it while a person is alive.But it's enough to destabilize it to the same point that sea water also does,thus effectively nullifying a devil fruit user's abilities.So what changed when Whitebeard died? The same thing that happens when all organisms die,the bonds that bind the cells and the cells themselves begin to deteriorate and die out.

However,there still remains one question.Why did Blackbeard throw a black sheet over Whitebeard before stealing his powers? The main reason is because he's the ultimate example of an attention whore (pardon the vocabulary) in the One Piece world.And we're talking about a world where people shout out the names of their attacks,so he must really love attention.The second more minor reason was to block the UV rays of the sun.Normally the cells disperse the radiation of the UV light as heat and protect themselves from getting harmed.But Whitebeard was dead,his cells were dying and were deteriorating as time went by.If the DNA cells were damaged too much,Blackbeard wouldn't be able to steal the DNA sequence.Black color offers the best protection against UV rays overall the other colors because it lets the least amount of light to pass through.
    main-qimg-b815ef9231e674335081d97fc645cd13-c.jpg
    Or rather,the reason why our eyes see an object as black,is because it absorbs the light that falls on it o it doesn't reflect any of it towards our eyes.So what was the best way to keep Whitebeard's DNA from being damaged while keeping the process a secret so that no one knew anything about it? The answer is what we saw in the anime and what you can see in this picture.
    p1.txt.jpg
    This concludes the theory.I know it was boring to read so much but I hope the content was worth the read.This theory was a bit unusual for me because I normally prefer it for more evidence to show up and then make a theory.But with Vegapunk's appearance approaching,I thought I'd put this out there for what it's worth.Thank you for reading,this was a theory made by Yuuzume.

Marco Polo, Seiryu, maisafie and 7 others like this.
  2. KKG

KKG
    If you support watermarks i hate you
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I could explain that simply as yami yami no mi being able to rewrite your DNA while absorving another DF.
    But well,since you put all your efforts on this here,i respect your opinion too.
    Man,i have to say that your theories are really impressive,i mean,since you started writing it in this forum i was thinking "This guy is awesome",this was the main reason i matched you with Monkey D. Dragon as a character.
    I respect your wisdom and the brilliant way you write here,you are The supreme theorist in OPF!:super:
    And we will have more of your theories for sure.

Yuuzume likes this.
  3. Yuuzume

Slayer Candidate
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

If I understand what you said correctly,you say that Teach could rewrite his DNA sequence while absorbing another Devil Fruit.But in that scenario,he would have rewrite the DNA that gives him the ability to do this.So the moment the did that,he would become unable to use his Yami-Yami abilities and he wouldn't be able to alter DNA anymore.Because absorbing the sequence is not enough to give him the abilities,he has to replace his own DNA sequence to get them.And even though Teach has an extra,the number is still limited.But with the way you suggested,he could technically absorb a different DNA sequence (like Kaido's if he's a df user and Luffy beats him) and rewrite the DNA sequence that gives him his Quake powers.I hope I explained that properly.

Thank you,I greatly appreciate that.I'm glad you like my theories man.And thanks again for the Dragon thing,that was pretty cool.

4. KKG

KKG
    If you support watermarks i hate you
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

It is possible as i said so i will explain better,there is a possibility of yami yami no mi can absorv other fruits rewriting a DNA that could give the user the possibility to use 2 fruits.
    Or it could be possible that yami could absorv other DF as a power that can't be explainned because it's a devil fruit,so it would be just a magical power,because i don't think it is possible to have supernatural powers in a human body just by writing DNA.
    But it's interesting to think about that possibility.
    Maybe Oda could explain that later.

5. Yuuzume

Slayer Candidate
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Oh,I see what you meant.That's certainly a possibility but it would still need to work in some way.I can't imagine that Oda will not give a proper reason for this after all this suspense has been built up about it.

6. Glaze D. Bacon

Light it up.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

A well-thought-out theory. Oda's explanation for Blackbeard's two abilities might be explained in a much simpler form later on, though.

7. ckimbrew

Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Again, always enjoy the well thought out theories.

But, when it comes to Blackbeard and his gaining of Whitebeard’s DF, I believe it to be much simpler. Something along the lines of him eating WB’s heart.

Why? Because the only other person we have seen gain a DF ability without eating the actual fruit was Big Mom when she ate mother Caramel. So, B.B. covering WB May have been to hide the gruesome heart eating tactic from the rest of the OP world.

Second point. Your theory states that B.B. was only able to gain it with his Yami Yami power and that he’s able to hold two because of two sets of dna... If that was the case, the. Why send crew members to hunt down other DF users to take their abilities if the Yami Yami power is needed to accomplish the feat? What is he going to do with them? Use them all for himself? Not with only two sets of dna as determined by your theory.

However, if it is the hearts, then crew members would be able to take the hearts, eat them, then gain the power without needing the Yami Yami to absorb them the same as BM the reasoning becomes more airtight.

I will say that I do believe the Yami Yami is somehow responsible for allowing him to use two powers. And, I don’t think his crew is going to bring him the extra hearts... He seemed to have accomplished his goal of gaining the Yami and Gura fruits for offense and defense.

8. Yuuzume

Slayer Candidate
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

It's definitely possible.As far as Blackbeard goes,an easier explanation might be more fitting even,but I'm still hoping that it'll be one that comes with a logical explanation,as simple as it may be.

9. Yuuzume

Slayer Candidate
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

That's actually an explanation that I can accept somewhat,since their is Big Mom's case,but I don't know if that rule can be applied to everyone.Still,I find it very possible.I would actually prefer an easier explanation for Blackbeard as well,but so far I haven't come across one satisfies me completely.So I'm looking forward to the time when Oda reveals it.

As for the crew members,perhaps I should have been more specific but he could actually replace the given DNA sequence to his crew instead of himself.

As for the two powers,I'll have to disagree.I'd prefer a simpler explanation for the 'stealing' part as well but the fact hat he can have 2 abilities was hinted to be due to his abnormal body.Even in the theory,I don't mention that because I take it for granted.It doesn't have to be multiple DNA sequences but I would actually like some depth in the story as to how Blackbeard can have 2 devil fruit abilities.

10. Glaze D. Bacon

Light it up.
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I think things will make more sense as more info gets introduced, so we’ll just have to wait and see.

11. Buggy D. Clown

Expand Collapse

MIND BLOWN! Even though its a long thread and has biology (hate it) its good. But I still belive the theory by Recca though.

12. Yuuzume

Slayer Candidate
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Thank you but even if you say "theory by Recca",it doesn't really ring a bell to me.

13. WiseMofo69

Trouvaille
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

A big, well thought out theory with extensive research is always my favorite. You really exceeded my expectation Mr. J. I never think about implementing a DNA structure between a human body and devil fruits. Although most of the superhero movies already implementing this, never once in my life that I'd find this in One Piece but you're explanation sounds very well and convincing I like to believe this is true.

One thing I like to add @Yuuzume , In my humble opinion, you should be clear between water and seawater. Water alone can't break the bonds but these bonds can be broken by simply adding another substance to the water. What happens when you weaken or change the amount of surface tension of the water? Adding only one additional substance to water can greatly affect the hydrogen bonds, determining whether something floats or sinks.

About Blackbeard and how absorbed WB's DF ability, how about if Devil Fruit powers are enhanced in environments that has affinity to their Devil Fruit abilities? and it was really not just for the drama alone?

But, overall excellent theory Mr. J , the wait is totally worth it :blush:

Yuuzume likes this.
  14. riofriz

theymademedoit.
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

That was a cool read, nice one!! So following your theory, White Beard DF would still be out there, that would be pretty cool.

Yuuzume likes this.
  15. Chaudfontaine

Chaudius Caesar
    Moderator Member of the Year 2017 YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

I can follow with everything but why DF users are vulnerable against (sea) water.
    Just explaining that we don't know and it's basicly magic (in this elaborate explanation) is a bit off for me.

One could say that the changed operating system makes the user allergic to water/seasalt. Fatigue (and extreme fatigue) are also known symptoms of an allergic reaction, and this in an extreme "close to death" form that is used in the manga can be an exageration of reality.

In more scientific words this means that when the user changed from operating system, the immune system also changed and started thinking that seasalt is lifethreatening and produced antibodies that react with the salt. And this reaction is what makes the user so tired.

Is this correct? I've no clue. Because some allergies are in treatable or stoppable from doing more harm than it could. How this translates to one piece and that we have seen multiple doctors, it should be treatable, but it isn't.

But if we go the scientific way, an allergic reaction can be an option instead of some hooba boeba magic.

Yuuzume likes this.
  16. Yuuzume

Slayer Candidate
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

"However,here's the 500 million beri question.Why sea water and not purified,drinkable water.That's because purifies water has had the microorganisms,DNase,RNase,salts and all the other impurities that can further damage the DNA removed.In simpler terms,sea water can cause enough harm to the DNA of a DF user to trigger the reaction I mention above,while purified water can't cause enough damage to destabilize it". I mention it briefly because the difference is this actually.The substances I mention above are all harmful to and can weaken the hydrogen bonds in the DNA itself.Those substances can be found in sea water,but not in purified water.So purified water isn't harmful enough to cause the known reaction to DF users.

Oh,yeah,that.Well,truthfully speaking,as I have said to other people as well,the explanation for how Blackbeard stole the abilities isn't one I really believe will come true either.The original/main theory was about devil fruits and DNA and the only mention of Blackbeard was his chimeric constitution.But I wanted to be throughout and mention all the aspects of BB's powers,so I tried to logically connect the stealing of powers with the DNA.In the end,I made one but it's overly complicated for a devil fruit power.BB's stealing powers probably come from a simple and fundamental ability of the Yami-Yami fruit.And the curtain is mainly for drama and secrecy.Since the process by which he steals fruits is probably something simpler,he probably didn't want to reveal it.Though as far as BB goes,the chimera part is one that I think is true.

As for devil fruits and their affinity to the environment,I agree.Though not in the way that they power up the devil fruit.More in the way that fighting in an environment with affinity to one's devil fruit,it increases the devil fruit's utility and takes away the disadvantage a devil fruit user might have.For example,when Crocodile fought in the Alabasta deserts,there wasn't any water around,so no one could exploit the weakness of his devil fruit.

Thanks for the compliments,they do mean a great deal coming from you.

17. Yuuzume

Slayer Candidate
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

The same answer as above applies here."However,here's the 500 million beri question.Why sea water and not purified,drinkable water.That's because purifies water has had the microorganisms,DNase,RNase,salts and all the other impurities that can further damage the DNA removed.In simpler terms,sea water can cause enough harm to the DNA of a DF user to trigger the reaction I mention above,while purified water can't cause enough damage to destabilize it". I mention it briefly in the theory because the difference is this actually.The substances I mention above are all harmful to and can weaken the hydrogen bonds in the DNA itself.Those substances can be found in sea water,but not in purified water.So purified water isn't harmful enough to cause the known reaction to DF users.

Well,I'm not a biology expert myself but technically speaking,the proteins that would be produced by the new operating system would be different than usual.So the immune system could indeed be different as well.I'm not familiar with the specifics of how allergies are caused or treated but to be fair,no doctor in the One Piece really tried or even considered trying that.
    Honestly,before SMILEs were introduced in Punk Hazard,I was also considering "magic" of some sorts as an explanation for devil fruits as well.But since they can be replicated (SMILEs),there must be something in them that can be artificially created.So perhaps a more logical reason as to why they're weak to sea water would be better as well.Allergic reaction sounds very plausible to me .Thanks for the comment Chaud,I really liked this.

18. Yuuzume

Slayer Candidate
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Riofriz,it's very nice to see your comment here man.I think it's the first one for one of my theories.Thank you for reading it and for the compliment.

riofriz likes this.
  19. WiseMofo69

Trouvaille
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

That's what I was trying to imply Mr. J

Why it can't increase the overall ability and only for combat purposes?

You're welcome Mr. J :blush:. Can't wait to see your next work.

20. Yuuzume

Slayer Candidate
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I know,all that stuff is the complicated way to say "I agree".

It could actually.Enel's example is a good one for this idea.Crocodile's example is not bad too.But it's a bit difficult to compare their powers in situations where they are n advantageous environments ans in situations they're not.One Piece doesn't have power levels like in The Seven Deadly Sins (yet at least) so it's hard to tell.However,Enel's case was kind of comparable actually.The artificial thunderclouds that he could control were a big boost.

WiseMofo69 likes this.