1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Tips for visiting Japan

Discussion in 'Japanese Culture' started by 5kyMarshall, Oct 17, 2016.

1. MARIKIT

Expand Collapse

Sure thing Iki! :) and I would love to see you turn those pictures intoa cool art. :)

Iki Hotaro likes this.
  2. Ghent

Expand Collapse

Hi there, actually @mugiwara88 I would like to.

Im gonna fly from Paris to Tokyo the next 17th May, and we'd like to stay at least 2 month (maybe 3, as you can stay 3 month without visa).
    We are planning to stay 2 or 3 weeks around Tokyo (so we try to find a cheap place and book it right now) and afterthat do some volunters (helpx for those who know) in the family more in the countryside. Of course we'd like to see as much places/things as possible, so if you (and the community) would like to share tips, like place to see, best way to travel (JR pass is expensive.. we're thinking about hitchhike after Tokyo), food to taste/avoid etc etc I'll appreciate that !

Storm chaser likes this.
  3. Storm chaser

Rock n' Roll
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Please share pics of your amaizing trip to there with us.

4. mugiwara88

surgeon
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

#24 mugiwara88, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Hej! Niiiceeee :D You will have an awesome time there.
    In Tokyo there is a lot to see and I guess it's easy to check for the 'normal' sightseeing spots. What I recommend you do is that when you want to eat something, you go away from the tourist places into some small streets and search for those 'mini' restaurants. Those use to have only 4-10 seats inside, so not much space, but these are the places where the Japanese people go for example during lunchbreak. They're way cheaper as well and the food is so good.
    I paid fpr JR and the other trains because it's much more convenient to do so. I don't know the prices but I guess it's worth buying. Don't know if hitchhiking works so well there, especially if you are two.
    I can highly recommend (in case you travel from Tokyo to Yokohama), that you take a detour to Kamakura. It was so nice there.
    In Yokohama I was at the Cupnoodle museum were you can actually prepare your own noodles and get them packed. ;)
    Back when I was there the Tokyo tower had a one year One Piece exhibition ('OnePiece Tower'), so you could look up if there might be somewhere else an One Piece Exhibition, since it's so popular there.
    Then I visited FujiTV where OnePiece get's broadcasted. They even have a restaurant 'The Baratie' ;)
    I would also take the Shinkansen to Osaka. There in the Universal studios they have the Attack on titan titans (15m high). If you think about renting a car or anything around Osaka you should try visiting the Uta (i thing it was called like that) region near Nara, which is in forest and mountains. Most beautiful place I have been. And Kyoto of course.
    Sorry for replying so late but my internet was not working today and I had this written already earlier today. But if you have more questions I'm happy to help :D

Ha and I forgot.
    I was also in Hiroshima, which was nice and from there it's not far to Miyajima. Highly recommended.
    Must visit ;) -Fushimi Inari-taisha shrine in Kyoto together with Arashiyama, the bambus forest. And around Tokyo I took a day tour to mount Fuji and a Hakone five lakes tour, which was really really nice. The Hakone national park is beautiful.

Storm chaser and Owl like this.
  5. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Do you know anything about what Air BnB places are like there? Me and the wife are looking at eventually taking a trip there but we are trying to make sure we have everything set first.

6. mugiwara88

surgeon
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Mhm, not really. I was planning on doing couch surfing there first, but then got I hooked up living with a Japanese family for two weeks instead. However, I got the general impression of really really trustworthy people. But I don't know if it is common for Japanese to do AirBnB. I can only say that there are a lot of foreigners that I could think would either do Air BnB or couch surfing. You could also consider couch surfing (at least for a couple of nights) because than you get in contact with people actually living there that can give awesome inside tips.

7. mugiwara88

surgeon
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Storm chaser likes this.
  8. Ghent

Expand Collapse

#28 Ghent, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    @mugiwara88 ~

Thank you very much for your advices. I also read your thread about your trip in Japan and it's full of good informations that we'll use for sure.
    I did book a cheap airbnb (@Zeek) for the first week in Tokyo, the host seems to be really nice as she will wait for us at the nearest station to his place. We also had some good conversations with him but I'll let you know how is it. (there is many hosts in Tokyo)
    And after that, we'll try for the first time to couch surfing. I don't really know right now if it's possible to stay more than 1 day in the host's house but we'll try (we don't really want to explore Tokyo with our big backpack aha so a place to leave them would be necessary).
    About the hitchhike, I use to travel through New Zealand with a friend only by this way, and it really works, I'm with my girlfriend now so I guess a couple is more "safe" to pick up than only 1 or 2 mens. I suppose ^^
    And for the OP's things, obviously I'd like to see them, like the One Piece tower or have lunch or dinner in the Baratie !! I didnt even know this place so thanks a lot for this !!

Actually I'm a bit curious about what you choose for the accomodation there, as it's really expensive (I'm not worried about the food, we saw in many books, videos on youtube etc that it's way cheaper when you go out and find local place just like you said), feel free to answer me in pm if you like, but in what kind of accomodation did you stay when you wasn't in the japenese family's house ? airbnb, couchsurfing, volunters, hostel, ryokan ? (We'd like to try this last one)
    And also, I was wondering where exactly (if you remember) was you on the pictures from Osaka (after shooping, there is some with a wonderful temple and awesome landscapes) please ? :)

For the JR pass, we'll figure it out in Tokyo if we really need it, because we saw that a 3 days subway pass (or something like that) is really cheap like 11/12euros. We'll ask our first host about that but for our budget JR pass is too expensive (we'll fly to Australia after Japan so need to save as money as we can).

@Storm chaser ~

Yes I will !

Storm chaser likes this.
  9. mugiwara88

surgeon
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

#29 mugiwara88, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    @Ghent
    About the matter of staying. I only planned to do couchsurfing, however, I had a Japanese contact/friend whom I didn't know so good but was the daughter of the family I stayed with. She was living in Tokyo and actually handed me a key for her apartment so I lived there. And instead of letting me couch surf she organized the stay with her family. Also when I said I would also go to Hiroshima one weekend the family took a day off and went together with me. There we stayed at a hotel and when I was in Yokohama I also booked a hotel. So in the end I didn't have to couch surf. :sweatsmile: When I was at Hakone national park and mount Fuji, I saw a lot of advertisement for Ryokan. I think there are a lot around the Hakone five lakes antional park with a beautiful view to the Fujisan. So check this region out for those hotels specifically. :)
    As for the pictures after the Osaka shopping trip: First is from the Todaiji temple (they have a lot of deer around the temple that you can feed), the second and third is from the Naritasan temple in Narita/Tokyo and the last three is the golden pavillon is the Kinkaku-ji temple 'close' to Kyoto.
    (Btw, One Piece Tower was a oe year event in Tokyo tower which is, as far as I know, not installed any longer.)
    If you are in Tokyo you should pay a short visit to Takeshita-dori, which is THE famous shopping street in the city. And close by is a really nice park (Yoyogi park).

And again some things I remember just now xDD:
    In Tokyo go see: Harajuku, Odaiba, Shibuya, Asakusa, Ikebukuru, Imperial palace. (One tipp, if you want to visit the Ghibli museum.. there is a long waiting list for it, so sign up way in advance.)