1. As a final farewell gift to our beloved creator, we're planning to make a "thank you" video. If you'd like to be involved, you can read more here.
  2. Our One Piece User Tournament is back. Join the fun now!
  3. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Trophy Points and Reforming the Rank System

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Feedback & Support' started by Marco Polo, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Marco Polo

「MISTA TWELVE」
    Administrator Member of the Year 2018
    Expand Collapse

I don't know how reps worked but we had things like "helpful" or "funny", which also contributed to positive rep
    I've liked posts that I've not necessarily agreed with, so I think your point is moot there
    Likes and reps have the same innate value (+1), so it's all about the value the users themselves place on it.

I guess we gained post neutrality, huh

Him not bringing back a system that he's already removed once doesn't correlate to "not giving a damn about the forum". I get that he doesn't always respond to suggestion threads (he's mostly made that my job), but at the end of the day it's his call which suggestions he does and doesn't implement and we have to respect that, even if it can get frustrating at times

Deleted. ^_^

2. ZakNik

Legendary God of Speed
    Shichibukai
    Expand Collapse

like for idea

3. lucci

Expand Collapse

#43 lucci, Dec 26, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    that's not the point i was trying to make ,
    most posts that u would rep,u would also like but there r many posts that u would like but not rep
    likes is basically reps + more
    like is just a more diluted version of rep
    reps were more specific , likes r more casual
    yes absolutely its about the value the users place on it or to be more precise what value others around u r placing xD
    and if u overuse something like how 'likes' r then they just lose their meaning which never happened with reps

system which he removed without everyone's consent , turned this place into one piece facebook and is still reluctant to add a chat feature xD
    doesn't always respond?more like he never responds and even if he does its some one line bullshit like "i'll consider it"
    yes its his call but not bothering to listen and interact with members of the forum clearly is a fantastic attitude to have

there r plenty more reasons to believe he doesn't care much anymore, i just listed a few handful reasons in my previous post

Rohan likes this.
  4. Marco Polo

「MISTA TWELVE」
    Administrator Member of the Year 2018
    Expand Collapse

If they're being used, that's what @Owl himself intended:

Looking at the thread where he announced the changes, there aren't too many dissenting voices against the changes he's made, for example:

Anyways, likes are used over reps on a lot of major anime/manga forums: Oro Jackson, mangahelpers and Naruto Forums all use likes, to name a few. The last forum I remember using reps was Marineford and that recently died from inactivity. I spent a bit of time there before I joined OPF and I still couldn't tell you for the life of me how rep was given out - the like system is straightforward and easy to use for anyone who's just joining the forum.

As for the chat feature, I wouldn't mind it being there as a way of getting to know people better, but it'd take attention away from people actually going and posting on threads, so I can see the reluctance there. If you want to talk to someone, you can inbox them

This is something to take up with the man himself, it's not my place to comment on things like that here

Owl likes this.
  5. lucci

Expand Collapse

#45 lucci, Dec 26, 2017
    ye its all according to god's plan lmao
    likes are not bad , reps were just better and more meaningful imo

regardless they were made without everyone's consent and when someone asked for something to come back just conveniently say
    "i removed them and i won't put it back"
    So many suggestions r pitched in the suggestions sections but what does he end up doing ?
    just whatever the hell he wants
    clearly u don't know much about my twitter as well (go and follow me xD) and it further supports my statement that this is turning into a social media without a chat function xD
    and yea i bet those ppl commenting on that thread really used all those features for weeks and r then commenting

just because others do it doesn't mean u have to do it too
    if u saw that system in place it would be a no brainer xD
    nevertheless putting concrete guidelines on subjective things like reps and likes is not possible, one just has to know
    i am not the one who is defending him..

6. Cosmos

Ms. Owl
    Expand Collapse

I was in the forum for little time during the rep. And it was very hard for me, as a new member, to understand and take part of it. Basically, "oh I liked you post here's a rep"

"Oh thank you for the rep, here is a rep back"
    And so on..

Don't judge people when you are not aware of the circumstances they live in. @Owl likes this forum a lot and so does everyone else. But we all have things to do outside as well. Even without answering a thread we've been updated with the suggestion's everyone has been making. And we have a lot to thank @Marco Polo for always making sure everyone's opinion are heard as well.

Please refrain from accusing others just because they haven't answered properly. If you insist a lot on your suggestion and want a more formal answer send us a private message.

7. Owl

Owl
    Shichibukai Member
    Expand Collapse

@lucci, are you criticizing just for the sake of it? Your posts are completely contradictory as Marco pointed out. Even you were fine with the changes and said they were "sweet", now you're trying to find a cope out to justify your own bullshit. You're complaining about a 2 year old change, which you were completely fine with, and using that to criticize me and say I don't care about our forum. See how that doesn't make any sense? Do you know how much time I spent with that update and everything else? I don't always reply because I have my own life (I've talked with Marco about this particular one, though), but I tried to be here every single day for almost 6 years.

I know I'm not perfect, neither are all my decisions. Good criticism is welcome when it makes sense. If you have a problem with me, this is not the place. Hopefully this will be the end of the off-topic.

Storm chaser, Marco Polo and Rohan like this.
  8. lucci

Expand Collapse

don't get me wrong, i never said i hate all the changes , in fact i like them a lot but it would be nice if u listened to some of our requests too
    many of which never received any attention or even a decent reply

9. lucci

Expand Collapse

that's what i meant by abuse xD
    its ur responsibility to tell us that u are considering our suggestions and also give legit reasons as to why something is not being done
    not answering only implies that u don't care and also no resulting action solidifies the opinion that u don't care

Tony likes this.
  10. Owl

Owl
    Shichibukai Member
    Expand Collapse

That's valid criticism and we're working towards improving that. We've promoted Marco Polo as our community moderator (we have a lot to thank him) precisely to improve this, we're a team after all and maybe you don't get this. I have many things to take care, and when I get some time I always use it for the forum. Obviously there are some things that are overlooked or notifications that don't get my attention. but just because I don't reply doesn't mean we're ignoring your suggestions and that I don't care about our forum, that's just a disingenuous accusation made by someone who hasn't paid much attention these past 5 years.

Tony and Marco Polo like this.
  11. lucci

Expand Collapse

#51 lucci, Dec 26, 2017
    I don't know what goes on behind the scenes but i have been paying attention alright , u have moderators to listen to our requests? that's cool but when r u gonna hire a mod that can actually implement these suggestions?
    i have seen threads where mods say "its a nice idea" or "i'll consider it" and that's pretty much the end of that ,further action rarely comes

12. Owl

Owl
    Shichibukai Member
    Expand Collapse

Dunno if I care enough about this forum to promote a moderator who's capable of that, so maybe I'll promote you.

Joking aside, we're currently discussing promoting one or two more moderators, the according announcement will be made when said members are invited and agree to help our forum.

Storm chaser likes this.
  13. lucci

Expand Collapse

just another "i'll consider it"? kewl.
    end of topic.

14. Owl

Owl
    Shichibukai Member
    Expand Collapse

Nope. We are actually going to promote more members.

Red, Grin and lucci like this.
  15. Red

Red
    4ever REDDY
    Supernova
    Expand Collapse

@Owl the only reason why most people (myself included) criticize the forum is because they love it and want to see it improved. Accusations are just out of frustration and aren't really ill-intentioned. I'm saying this because I've done the same in the past which I'm not proud of but I can understand the reasons why accusations are made.

I do agree with @lucci on several things about the lack of activity from the team's side - but I think that's already been made clear by my endless rants which I'm sure no one wants to see again.

In the end of course, we all have lives in the outside world and can only devote a finite amount of time to the forum (except me LMAO) so I can understand the mod's side of the situation. Anyways, I'm glad to see some positive and participative response from the team this time. Ganbatte!

Marco Polo and lucci like this.
  16. Skivar

First Mate
    Expand Collapse

Some folks have reached out to me these last few weeks asking for my help/return to activity in OPF affairs. I don't have the same time that I used to so I won't be coming back tot he forum, but I did want to offer my ten cents on this thread as I noticed a lot of reoccurring themes that frustrated me during my time as an active contributor to the community. Not trying to stir anything up, but I do want to be honest with my opinion regarding things even if it is harsh.

OPF has a lot of potential, but is held back by an inefficient management style which leads to a sense of disconnect between the members and staff. Part of the problem is a lack of activity amongst staff members and another issue is a lack of willingness to constructively accept member feedback and participation in forum affairs. I also feel the staff takes poorly to criticism as many times I have brought up issues or witnessed issues brought up that staff members do not agree with, they get defensive and pawn the problem off on the messenger which makes many of us feel helpless to help the community.

Quality members are regularly passed over for staff member promotions which are instead given to folks who have relatively little to offer the forum in terms of growth. To be fair, I did see good performance from Marco and Grin but the rest of the team left a lot to be desired and one of the aforementioned people has retired from his position leaving a void in the team. This pattern of promotions adds to the issue of a poorly assembled forum team and is disrespectful to members who do contribute when they are passed up for less qualified candidates.

In short, everyone involved in the current OPF community needs to think more critically and there needs to be a more healthy staff-member dynamic. @Red said it best here
    Hope this post helps, take care.

Marco Polo, lucci and Red like this.
  17. Red

Red
    4ever REDDY
    Supernova
    Expand Collapse

:dizzy:

Varun :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

18. Owl

Owl
    Shichibukai Member
    Expand Collapse

I understand that and we constantly accept criticism. It's actually pretty welcome here, it means the community cares about the forum, and I wish to see it for a long time. I was mainly responding to clueless accusations made towards me by members who come and go and don't really contribute anything to the forum besides asking for gimmicks and promotions. I got defensive because I didn't see it as good criticism or even fair, I didn't see it as something that would improve the forum. I will stand my ground every single time someone accuses me of not caring about this community, when I've gave everything to it and built it from day 1. If anything, when said accusations are done, it shows the disconnection between the member saying that and what's really happening in the forum for over 5 years.

Other than that, we always accept feedback and criticism. Otherwise I wouldn't have created this forum section which purpose is exactly to hear our community.

Tony, Storm chaser, Rohan and 4 others like this.
  19. Judgement

Onii-chan of OPF
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

Just a thought, but don't you guys need more people on the Staff team? Managing all this with only around 8 people sounds very tough, and a higher number of (capable!) people on the team might reduce workload and improve efficiency.

I'm currently the chairman of my study association (as some of you might already know), and we're leading the association with 5 people. Of course, we'll have to arrange IRL meetings and events and such, but this website is much more of a daily job/maintenance. It just seems like a lot of situations could be very stressful with only 8-ish people. Of course, it's not easy to find capable people who are also willing to join the team, but I'm sure there are some who are motivated and could fit the bill.

This is just a thought that came to mind when I joined the forum and took a look at the Staff Members section. I was like: "Damn, they manage all this with only so few people?! Impressive stuff, now lemme get dat haki"- whoops.
    You get my point. Maybe something to consider, mostly to improve efficiency, i.e. to process the great amount of threads, posts and criticism in a more manageable way.

Marco Polo, Owl and riofriz like this.
  20. Monster Trio

青眼の究極竜
    Shichibukai Member of the Year 2015
    Expand Collapse

Wow, checking out an old thread and seeing this, how time passed..