1. Participate in the Monthly PAW May 2018 with a special category for our anniversary!
  2. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  3. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Usopp... really strong?

Discussion in 'One Piece Anime' started by opwild, Jan 29, 2018.

1. opwild

Expand Collapse

I recently decided to rewatch the whole anime, and I couldn't stop thinking about the strenth of Usopp, Chopper and Nami.

Every time I read forum posts about this topic, I find everyone ensuring that Nami was and still is the wakest SH and the weakest between theweakling trio... but I sincerely believe that she has always been stronger (or maybe stronger is not the word... but what I want to say is that even with her shortcomings, she demonstrated many times to be more useful) than Usopp, all the more since she got the Clima Tact.

Every time the crew finds a new enemy to beat, Nami fights against stronger characters than Usopp. In Arabasta, for example, Usopp and Chopper fought against the Mr. 4 trio while Nami alone fights in a kind of ridiculous fight (because of the magic show of the CT) agains Mr. 1's couple, Miss Doublefinger, and she wins alone. (I won't get into the topic of how Nami only gets to fight against girls... I would love to see her fighting against a man sometime... but this is something I got used to many years ago watching anime, so... let's forget it and keep going).

Then again, when they fight at Enies Lobby with the CP9 people... Usopp doesn't fight ANYONE, even though he proves himself to be an impresive shooter, while the monster Chopper beats Kumadori and Nami beats Kalifa.

I'm not saying that Nami or Chopper can be compared to Sanji, Luffy or Zoro, but between the three "weaklings"... I always thought and keep thinking that Usopp was the weakest pre-TS. I get that Oda wants to change this, and having Usopp <spoiler>found the haki and all that</spoiler>, he can be considered "weak" anymore; but what I don't understand is that people has always considered him the strongest of the three.

I think Nami (and Robin, also) is underestimated for being a girl, and that they could use their habilities a lot better so that they become stronger, but that doesn't seem to be Oda's idea (he's too busy making their tits bigger ¬¬). Nami started off as only a navigator who wasn't a fighter, that is obvious. But she has fought whenever it was needed and did all she could... she wanted to become stronger and to have the power to fight, and that's why she got the CT. I find so unfair for her character to have so much potential power at her hands and keep being the weak of the crew.
    And Chopper the same. He has so much potential, and it was shown in Enies Lobby... the limits of his power are still unseen... but we keep seeing only the cute tanuki and he only gets the minimum required fights to go on.

I don't want to get into if Usopp deserves to have an higher bounty than Robin or Sanji, because I'm talking about the pre-TS time only (even tough I will admit that it doesn't make me really confortable haha). I want to keep rewatching the series and reconsider him as a character, because I really don't get what everybody sees in him (as a fighter, I mean).
    I always liked him as a linking character, more like the glue that gives a more emotional side to the crew and the story than a real fighter. I knew he was going to get stronger, because he is Yasopp's son and his dream was to be a brave warrior and all that... But what surprises me is that so many people (I would say that most of you) always thought of him as stronger than Nami or Chopper.

I guess I'm leaving a lot of things on the way... but this is overall my ranting hahaha I just can't see what many people sees in Usopp, and even though I'm trying to be openminded with his strenght... while rewatching it I get clearer the fact that Usopp was the weakest pre-TS and by far.

2. Kevz

Yuuzume’s little brother
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Dude you know if you are caught up that chopper is a BEAST with his different forms especially with monster point.

3. SprkiSRB

The Fairy
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I think that whole idea behind Usopp's character is to show audience that just a ordinary guy without strenght, with a simple tool like a slingshot who often dreams about fantasy and such, can achive all his dreams. That's probablu Oda's logic behind him.

And ofc he will became very strong eos i suppose. I agree with everything what u've said though.

Yuuzume and mysticalflute like this.
  4. Glaze D. Bacon

「The Emperor 4」
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Usopp is sometimes there just for comedic relief, and although there’s nothing wrong with that, I do see your view that he’s not getting his hands too dirty. There really is no “weakest” Straw Hat since they pretty much have the abilities they need for self-defense ready. Usopp has the potential to create a powerful weapon (the Clima Tact), yet he sticks to using a slingshot, which demonstrates how far he COULD go in strength yet he holds it all back. Of course, it helps when you have Haki to make your shots more lethal.

5. Pacquiao8

8th Commander of the Straw Hat Grand Fleet
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Since you're only talking about pre-TS Usopp, I have to say that he hasn't done anything very impressive so far aside from the Sogeking feats during at the Enies Lobby. And that happened when "Weakling Trio" and "Monster Trio" (with Luffy) were still a thing.

However, pre or post-TS, Usopp is said to be always the "weakest" within the crew because he will always be the member whom real world humans can relate. The reason behind is that his main skills (marksmanship and fooling others) are basically real world human skills. But that doesn't mean that he will never become so powerful.

About the bounty, they don't really reflect someone's power but only the threat. Another thing is that, Straw Hat bounties minus (Luffy, Zoro and Robin) are made with gag purposes.

Yuuzume and SprkiSRB like this.
  6. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

• He fought Chu (one of Arlong's henchmen), won, then proceeded to bash is head in with a hammer
    • He created a powerful weapon for Nami (the Clima-tact) which without it, she'd be helpless
    • Using great strategy and tactics, he managed to fight Luffy (and although losing, he did kick his ass a bit)
    • He unlocked Kenbunshoku Haki in order to save Luffy/Law from Sugar at Dressrosa
    • He became a GOD
    [​IMG]
    ;)

7. Pacquiao8

8th Commander of the Straw Hat Grand Fleet
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

• Will make giants bow to him.
    • Will unlock Armament Haki (maybe Conqueror's Haki, too).
    • Will defeat Van Augur, Yasopp, a BMP and BP commanders, a Vice Admiral.

Sonofman, Storm chaser and Edinbour like this.
  8. Edinbour

The Red King
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

• Will be the Pirate God (above King, sorry Luffy) :P

Storm chaser and SprkiSRB like this.
  9. KKG

KKG
    The Portuguese Pervert
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Clima Tact was created by Usopp and he had instructions for Nami just to use it.
    Without this weird invention of the Pinochio,Nami would be useless in combat.
    I think Nami is not stronger than Usopp or Usopp is stronger than Nami either.
    I think Usopp is smarter,since he came up with this invention.
    As for Chopper,he is not a predator type or legendary Zoan like Lucci or Marco.
    His DF is limited to his rumble balls and even if this is improved i can't see him fight a very strong oponent.
    Oda would pick the right oponents for them.
    At Dressrosa,Sugar was defeated by Usopp because he can attack out of her range even with that dangerous DF of her's.

10. opwild

Expand Collapse

True, but I think that apart from fighting Chu he didn't really fight anyone strong alone pre-TS. And I don't think the fight against Luffy can count, but it could be I'm wrong... He went prepared and Luffy didn't fight 100% against him, that's why I don't take it into account. I don't doubt he always had great hability to creat new and awesome weapons, but it doesn't mean he's strong.
    I don't agree with you about Nami, it's true that her strenght (or potential strength) comes from the CT, but not anyone could use it as a real weapon. She needs her climatic knowledge to be able to fight with it.
    Not being her the one who created it doesn't make her less stronger, it would be like saying that a swordsman is not strong because he is not the one who forges it, isn't that right? :D

Yes, that's true. Poor Chopper is the perfect example hahaha

Well, it's true the CT was created by Usopp, but the instructions thing... it's giving him too much credit lololol The instructions where mostly of magic tricks, and where useless for Nami in a fight. If it weren't because she's the navigator and as knowledge to use the cold, frizzy and hot bubbles and become them dangerous... the CT wouldn't be a real weapon.
    Chopper's rumble balls and Nami's CT are weapons and give power to their users... that someone need to use something to fight doesn't make them weak. Then nearly everyone is in that same boat.

Oda picks the oponents depending on what they can manage, that's obvious, but it's a fact that Usopp didn't match anyone (except Chu, as Edinbour pointed out) himself, while Nami and Chopper did.

11. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Usopp is trash, Luffy needs a new marksmen, #UsoppForFirstDeadStrawHat

12. SprkiSRB

The Fairy
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I bet next nickname for usopp wil be: "The legendary oneshoting god, no cheat just skill" Usopp :D

13. Sonofman

Expand Collapse

I think Ussop was always the weakest character, but he's meant to actually be the closest strength to that of a real normal human being.

Ussop has been pretty useful in the series pre-time skip and post-time skip; you should know that if you watched the series. I don't need to list them for you, as others already listed them.

Nami was pretty useless early on the series without the CT. Her abilities were mainly navigating and climate forecast. She had no combat experience until she first used Ussop's CT. I'm not saying she's weak, but she isn't exactly a fighter. (Ex: Nami vs Big Mom pirates, without her CT, she becomes useless... sad but true)

Again, Nami defeats Kalifa with the CT. Without it, she wouldn't stand a chance. Plus, Oda gave her that opponent because Nami was the only one to be able to counter Kalifa's DF using the CT.

I would say that Chopper was the strongest of the three. He has many transformations that his DF ability allows him to change into, plus Chopper was the one to land the last blow on Mr. 4 and Miss Merry Christmas. Ussop was the strategist though, don't forget that. Without Ussop there, Chopper would have lost. He isn't exactly the brightest in a battle.

Nami isn't weak in character development, she's weak in having actual strength. Just like Ussop pre-ts. They both have their own uniqueness in their own way. Robin is also not weak. Her DF is pretty over powered. She's actually pretty strong and can hold her own in battles. She should have died when Enel shocked her, but she didn't. That's just because her will is pretty strong. Nami on the other hand gave up and bowed down, because she knew she would die if she fought back. It's just the way it is.

Ussop was as weak as Nami pre-ts, no arguing about that. However; he isn't weak in post-ts. I would say that he is more of a fighter now, then he was as sogeking. Much more experienced and has alot more in his arsenal. Plus, he upgraded Nami's CT. Which means Nami got an upgrade because of Ussop.

She relies on her CT. It doesn't matter how well-versed she is regarding climate knowledge, without her CT she's utterly unfit in a battle.

Seiryu likes this.
  14. Kreydens

Expand Collapse

Usopp withstood so much damage that i am not sure if he is not the acctually strongest. Most durable. Some of those damage was taken as a joke, but his face took a lot of frontal attacks.
    Nami cried how weak she is to Usopp for him to help her, and he did.
    Chopper was coolest of all the Strawhats when he was his monster form first time. Now it is cartoonish, before he was scary. And what it is with his stupid looks now and idiotic kung-fu point that is obviously a joke since he acctualy has short legs and hands. Bad looking hat is making that Chopper is neglected charakter right now.
    Robin has ultra powerfull devil fruit, and could be the strongest of them all if used right. She could be ultimate shy and killer or at least use it to knock out enemies without even been seen, cause she can create eyes the see other places and create eyes there, and she could have overwatch over whole islands and there she could make her copies to make certain changes in environment or even knock enemies out. Her possible range with this skill is very powerfull.
    Brook seems weak, but thats mainly due to chis charakter, but after WCI he is V.I.P.. Without much of a hesitation he talked trash to Big Mom ("young lady"), before the fight and rushed with all he had. rest would give up or be too scared, Jinbey was also too scared :) Of course situation different, but still.
    Franki is cyborg so he is durable and strong, pity he looks now shitty compared he did before. I wounder, would Usopp deafeat him if he was sirious like with Luffy?

15. Redgar

Expand Collapse

Lemme tell you, I disagree, Oda himself said in an interview that his editor forced him to make them bigger, this was something he did not do on purpose. At least that's what I read, and I believe it.

16. Kevz

Yuuzume’s little brother
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Wait what dude that editor is a boss

17. Seiryu

Expand Collapse

Welcome to the forum @Sonofman! I do agree that Usopp has made the biggest jump from his training. However, we can't overlook that Oda does give Usopp superhuman capabilities. He had his entire skull broken back against Mr. 4. Plus he was included in the freaks of nature that never got sick in their entire life (Luffy, Zoro, and Sanji). He is in the middle of becoming really strong (which is necessary to fulfill his dream of a "brave sea warrior" and fulfilling all of his original lies to Kaya).

18. opwild

Expand Collapse

You could be right about that, it could have been his editor's thing, but I still think they are both understimated becase of their gender. Nami at least was always made as a weak character, but Robin not, and a lot of times Robin could use her power and be the strongest in a battle, and in the end she ends up not being as useful.

19. opwild

Expand Collapse

I agree with you that Nami without the CT is weak and just useless in any battle, that's a matter of fact because she's not a fighter in itself. But I can't agree with that implying that she's basically weaker just because of that. Yes, Ussop has the ability of creating weapons and using them, and I'm not denying his development throught the series, but be it because of the CT or not, Nami was stronger than him Pre-TS in my opinon (and could be now too, if not because as I see it, Oda just wants her to be the weak character).

Denying her "strenght" because it relies on a weapon, is like saying Luffy is a bad pirate because he can't navigate. Could be true, actually, but people don't really mind. The fact is that he has a good navigator, and with her help he goes throught the seas to reach his dream.

The same happens with Nami, from my POV. Nami's CT is like Chopper's Rumble Balls, Franky's body weapons, Zoro's katanas and so on. Since when is a problem to have to rely on something to have strength? I always found it an excuse to not acknowledge what she can actually do and how strong she can become with the CT.

As I previously said, not everyone can be good using swords the same way Zoro is. Not everyone can use projectiles as Ussop. And only Nami can use the CT as an actual weapon because of the navigating skills. Ussop created it as a toy, and Nami turned it into something useful.

What would have been of Luffy if not for the Gomu Gomu no Mi he eat in the past? The Devil Fruit's are, in themselves, weapons that make stronger the ones who eat them... Why is that not a problem but it is that Nami need the CT to fight?

I like Nami being a scaredy cat many times, she's not, and never will be, as strong as most of the characters of OP, nor Chopper or Ussop should. I don't want her to become a badass because it just doesn't suit her, but from the beginning people said Usopp was stronger than her, and that's something I can't agree with (not Pre-TS, that's what I'm talking about).

You can say he's physically stronger (yeah, he's a guy and you won't see a woman physically stronger in this anime, not a feminine one at least LOL), he can take more beatings and hits... but that alone doesn't make one's strenght.

20. Yuuzume

Slayer Candidate
    Busoshoku Haki Member of the Season
    Expand Collapse

Well,Reiju could bend iron bars when she was just a kid (Chapter 841). So I guess it's up to whether you consider her feminine in the present time or not.

Storm chaser likes this.