1. The results of the Member of the Year voting are in... Find out who won!
  2. The first PAW of the year... Check it out!
  3. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Vinland Saga

Discussion in 'Anime Series' started by Deus Mortis, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Deus Mortis

"Reaper of Souls"
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

#1 Deus Mortis, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
    Title: Vinland Saga
    Number of Episodes: 24
    Air date: July 8, 2019-??
    Producers: Production I.G. Kodansha Twin Engine
    Studio: Wit Studio
    Genres: Action, Historical, Drama, Adventure, Seinen

Synopsis:For a thousand years, the Vikings have made quite a name and reputation for themselves as the strongest families with a thirst for violence. Thorfinn, the son of one of the Vikings' greatest warriors, spends his boyhood in a battlefield enhancing his skills in his adventure to redeem his most-desired revenge after his father was murdered.

kissanime.ru
    darkanime.stream

Kia likes this.
  2. Kia

Kia
    “Don’t try to find a reason for somebody’s love.”
    Supernova Member of the Year 2019
    Expand Collapse

Oh I was going to create this! Thanks for doing it. Don’t forget to add a few links to places where it can be viewed. ^_^

That last episode was awesome. I’m so glad Thorfinn is learning to survive on his own. I knew that there was remorse for killing Thors. You can totally see it in the way he’s treating Thorfinn. He’s not an idiot and he has a conscience. I think part of him meant it when he asked him to be their leader. That opening them though—love it!!

3. Deus Mortis

"Reaper of Souls"
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

Dang I knew I forgot to add something in there.. But happy to create this thread this show is spectacular so far.

4. Chaudfontaine

Chaudinante Fontamingo
    Super Moderator Member of the Year 2017
    Expand Collapse

#4 Chaudfontaine, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    I am reading the manga, started the anime.
    Looks good, music is good, I am hoping squeezing some enjoyment out of this.

edit: after 5 episodes the first development arc is done. Cool. Enjoyed the first run.

Kia likes this.
  5. Twelve

NSFW
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

I'VE PAID MY DUES
    I'VE SOLD MY SOUL
    SO TELL ME WHAT IS LEFT FOR ME WHEN I'VE GIVEN UP EVERYTHING?!

This probably my favorite anime this season (if not Dr. Stone). The first 4 episodes were breathtaking, while the latest one gives a satisfactory conclusion and direction to the next episodes/ arc. The music, the story, and the art mix beautifully. I have no complaints. I hope it continues to entertain me.

From the very beginning, I knew Thors would die but I still cried when it happened. Dammit.

Chaudfontaine likes this.
  6. Deus Mortis

"Reaper of Souls"
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

With each passing episode this one keeps on getting better and better so glad I didn't let this one pass me by.

7. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

So much awesomeness. I mean the emotional turmoil when Thorfinn betrayed the villagers up til now when he’s like screw all this, I’ve been working towards a goal and don’t you forget it, Askeladd.

Finally, finally he accepted the challenge but of course he delayed it. Oddly enough, the one who held him hostage seems to be more openly attached to Thorfinn’s well-being than anyone else. The dynamics are super interesting. Also, the official invasion is coming soon. I think that Askeladd is training up Thorfinn to pit him against the mastermind of Thors’ death, Floki, honestly. I could be wrong about that though. I think he’s hoping to tell him the truth and take him down together some day. *shrug* Not that he won’t accept his death when it comes but he resents being used in that manner to take out such an honorable man.

8. Iki Hotaro

hate dumb people
    First Mate
    Expand Collapse

wait a sec, wasn't thorfin supposed to cut thorkell arm off in this ep (i remember reading the manga back in 2012)

9. Piry

The Revolutionary Noodle
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

Been reading the manga volumes for sometime now, really glad it got an anime series! This show is being adapted so well anime wise! :)

10. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

Looks like Thorfinn might be seriously starting to deal with more complicated situations soon. Thorkell the battle hungry fiend just let him go without a fight and obviously knows his parents. That’s a lot to digest. I had a feeling that Canut was a female the entire time. We still don’t know this to be true but Ragnar is SO protective of the prince that it’s excessive. That’s definitely the implication.

11. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

I had to check and make sure this wasn’t the end of the season when the episode ended because of that cliffhanger—I was about to be upset. However, I’m loving the development of going across Wales in order to have Canute grow into their own. The faith that Askeladd is showing in the future is far-reaching. He actually is trying to develop Thorfinn to be like his father and sees something in Canute that he wants to nurture as well. That’s bloody beautiful. His machinations have reason. He does have guilt over Thors’ death, as I suspected and is envisioning more for the future of his people. The prophecy that he mentioned is proof of that. Sounds Arthurian to me—literally the sword in the stone legends. But all of the things swirling around Thorfinn and Canute. So many people trying to control their lives. They have so much in common. It would be a bit trite if Canute really were a female and they fell for each other but even as a male, it could happen. Friends would be nice as well. I’m looking forward to this battle and Thorfinn protecting Canute again. I like that the Welsh King saw through Ragnar’s BS to know that he wasn’t speaking Canute’s truth. It’ll be great when it finally comes out of their own mouth.

12. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

So I got faked out by the beginning—I’ll admit that I was like, WTF? Thorfinn is bringing Canute ashore as a woman?! But yeah that’s totally not what happened. Askeladd is totally playing a long game and it was Arthurian references—called it. Was very pleased to see Canute finally talking though. I knew that Thorfinn would finally goad them into speaking up. Good stuff! What is going on with Askeladd’s loyal number one feeling all left out because he doesn’t know him as well as he thought? Hidden depths to the heretofore brainless brawny guy. Nice touch. I mean, he’s been shown to have more depth in his previous interactions with Thorfinn, to be fair but this is additional layering that’s appreciated and unexpected. Floki obviously doesn’t care about Canute but the king does so that should be fascinating to see how this plays out. Wonder what will happen when the truth comes out about Thors as well?

13. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

So that chick at the end seems like she’s really going to be important—or is that just me? I mean they made a huge deal about her. That whole situation was jacked up, NGL. Is this some master plan to get Canute to open his mouth and express an opinion so that he can stop being a pushover? Because WOW. Way to be harsh about it and good luck getting his reputation back after you pit it trying to make a point. But anyways, this was fun to watch and try to figure out.

14. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

So Askeladd’s luck finally ran out for real. All sorts of sh*t is hitting the fan. Thorkell is on his way and these fools think it’s the English—whoa will they be underprepared. Perhaps losing Ragnar will make Canute stronger but we shall see. Thorfinn seems to be warming up to him so that’s good. The cooking and eating together helps. The complicated father-son relationship helps more, methinks as well as knowing that he’s not a typical royal. I believe that Thorfinn will come to a point where he chooses to protect him rather than does so out of obligation. But damn, having your own father trying to kill you is BS. Stupid politics. I’m not surprised. Makes me wonder if Floki really was acting under orders. Can’t wait til Thorfinn finds out Floki was responsible—either way. I want Thorkell to find out as well. Maybe they’ll become allies.

15. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

Well that turned drastic. Let’s see how they get out of this situation. Is Askeladd going to survive this—nifty history lesson aside, it’s not looking good for him right now. And in the credits, he disappears into snow just like Ragnar does... that can’t be a good sign for his future. Well, I’m guessing that Thorfinn has to off him or he at least needs to live a tad bit longer? We’ll see.
    @Twelve I thought this was your favorite show... where are you?

16. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

What?! Thorfinn picked a gift with Thorkell over Askeladd?!! That crazy MF!! I love it!!! Seriously. I mean that’s the best. No one saw that coming amongst the men—wonderful. All that talk about choosing your leader. Has Askeladd chosen the right one? I guess we shall see.

17. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

Canute is finally handling his shit! Also, way to go Thorfinn and Askeladd team up to defeat Thorkell. Ugh on his men interfering. Of course that pissed him off—dishonoring the duel like that. Canute actually accepted the fact that Askeladd killed Ragnar and kept moving. This is getting so good. Thorkell is Thorfinn’s uncle? And they’re all on the same side now? Let’s do this shit. Canute’s mentality is definitely going to lead to Thorfinn finally reaching the place he needs to be in order to be like his father. Love it.

18. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

The feels! I wasn’t prepared to cry at the end of this episode. Askeladd and Bjorn—whoa. The reunion with Leif was lovely and all but didn’t hit me nearly as hard.

19. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

Poor Thorfinn! What is he going to do now?! I mean, we learned Askeladd’s backstory in full and that’s something. Is Thorfinn going to go to King Swenn? Will he cozy up to him in an effort to get stronger and develop an opportunity to kill Askeladd? Will he then learn the truth of what happened to his father and that’s Askeladd’s goal all along? What’s going to happen?!

20. Kia

Kia
    Expand Collapse

Well now. Askeladd and Wales will be tricky AF. Wonder what’s going on at the end as well. Also, it’s interesting to see the nobles discussing whether or not they’re going to be supporting Canute based on his perceived strength and strategic might. Ragnar was more respected than I realized. Furthermore, is Thorfinn going to go home and try to go to Vinland now or try to regroup with Canute and take him there? Hmmmm