1. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  2. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

when i cried

Discussion in 'One Piece Anime' started by Zoollo, Aug 6, 2018.

?

no

This poll will close on Dec 6, 2026 at 9:25 PM.
  1. i right

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. i idiot

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Zoollo

Expand Collapse

i didn't cry when ace died or whan wihtebeard died i was happy.
    but i cried when Roger said to Rayleigh that he not gone to die

dreamlovermimi likes this.
  2. Lt. | ArkZ

Balls to the wall, or not at all...
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

I Like the Poll you have created, 10/10, would vote and lose on a brexit trade deal again.

Though I haven't exactly bawled at any event in One Piece, I have found myself holding back tears when Merry went (A bloody boat, a fictional one at that), and, when Ace Died.

But the one that got me the hardest, was when Garp spoke to Ace on the executioners platform, torn between Family and Duty, crying at the fact he doesn't know what to do, and just wished Ace would have just listened and done what he asked.

(Also, seeing as this is your first post, welcome to the forum)

Jawahib likes this.
  3. Marco Polo

circus act
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

the last time i cried? i’m glad you asked

it was a cold, windy night. i was sitting across the table from the woman who once made me whole. there had been tension in the air for a long time. i knew what was coming. but hearing those words from her mouth almost didn’t feel real.

“marco, i can’t do this any more. we should see other people.”

“that’s what i thought too. understandable, have a nice day.”

but i didn’t really care if her day was nice. it’s not like i was going to stick around any longer. i put on my coat and hat, and made for the door. i thought i heard her say “wait,” but i didn’t want to wait. without turning around, i signalled goodbye to her. i got on to the street. the solitude was welcome, as was the freedom. as i headed back to my apartment, i pondered over our memories. our first date. our first kiss. that time we got stuck in a hotel elevator. i felt a warm nostalgia.

“thanks for the memories,” i mutter under my breath. as i walk, the chains that bound me broke free. the streets i had walked so many times suddenly felt new. i was finally free.

walking into my apartment block, i hear the old mexican lady next door singing a familiar melody

“des...pa...cito”

it sounded familiar

it sounded... sad.

it sounded so sad.

despite its sadness, her voice was... enchanting.

i felt a single tear roll down my cheek.

GoldenVenus, Vesi, 10thMember and 3 others like this.
  4. dreamlovermimi

Zoro's Main Chick
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I cried when Ace died to. but I read it in the manga and it was still emotional. Haven't seen marine ford in anime yet. And then I cried again when he told luffy as children " Im never gonna die" or something like that.

5. Behnam

The one who wants CHOIce
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Of course you're not idiot bro. You didn't cry for Ace, because that scene wasn't sad at all, though death of WhiteBeard was so much sad for me, not that much to cry for it though. But to be honest, the only scene that I cried for it recently, was from SYMPHOGEAR, when Chris Yukine- chan did her Swan Song.

6. Robin-Senpai Is The Best

I may hate her, but she's good waifu material
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

This crap is why I respect you

7. gboxrkw

Expand Collapse

I think the saddest moment for me was when luffy came into conscious and realized ace is dead and became crazy and jinbei made him realized that he still has his nakama

8. KKG

KKG
    Biggest Kiss x Sis Fan
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

2 classic sad scenes:
    When Going Merry was burning and all SH crying
    When Robin was saying at Ennies Lobby with her face full of years "i want to live"

9. Dreamer

Expand Collapse

I cried when Straw Hats burned Going Merry and the ship thanked them for times they had together. I also cried when Ace told his message to Luffy before he died.

KKG likes this.
  10. Marco Polo

circus act
    Super Moderator YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

You should really stop doing that

11. Time

bogan scientist
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I suspect troll cos the poll is so retarded. Seriously though, I don't understand why Ace is so loved. He wasn't that good a character imo. Whitebeard, on the other hand, was well-written and his death hit me much harder. Maybe I couldn't relate to Ace.

12. Robin-Senpai Is The Best

I may hate her, but she's good waifu material
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I should, but somehow being ashamed makes me respect you more.

13. 10thMember

GRIN'S OWNER
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Damn. So sad! So sad, indeed!

14. Johannes

Expand Collapse

I cried when there's no manga release! (it's like when your expecting on that date the manga will be release, but NONE) huhuhuhuhu! :disrelieved:

THE PAIN OF WAITING............................................................................................................................... :sob: :sob: :sob:

15. KKG

KKG
    Biggest Kiss x Sis Fan
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Stormy will kill you for this.
    Whitebeard and Ace were like father and son,so they died for that,your opinion is your opinion but i would feel bad saying the same.
    Ace is loved because if he didn't die Luffy would die,he was a hero who gave his life for his little brother.
    The reason why you think he wasn't a good character may be related to him being so famous but relying only on his DF to fight.
    I agree if that's your reason but let's not forget in that war all Admirals did all that damage without haki.
    I saw no evidence of any busoshoku haki being used by anyone of the Admirals wich means they rely on their DFs just like Ace being so famous too.
    When i watched Akainu killing Ace i got really mad,i want that piece of shit dead right now!
    But i will not have that pleasure because i dropped the anime and even if i got back only good people die in this anime wich means justice in One Piece is not more than an empty word.
    I respect Ace and Whitebeard as 2 of the bravest characters in One Piece ever.

16. Time

bogan scientist
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I always have a thing against emo kids and Ace was a pretty big one before he met Luffy. So thats probably why I felt nothing towards Ace. Plus he brought it upon himself too so it's hard to blame everything on Akainu. He was just doing what he was supposed to do after all. Don't get me wrong. I don't dislike Ace or anything. Quite the contrary, I agree he was the main factor that slapped Luffy in the face and made him realise he needed to mature. I just don't get why he is so massively popular.

17. Lt. | ArkZ

Balls to the wall, or not at all...
    Kenbunshoku Haki Member
    Expand Collapse

Obviously, I can't speak for anyone else, but;

As far as I'm concerned, the reason why Ace was so popular was more of a hindsight thing.

He was in few scenes, dotted around the Wano and Alabasta Arc, but he left a very set picture for us, as the viewer.

First of all; as the viewer, his design is very eye-catching. In a series where a lot of the characters are care-free and "goofy", characters such as Smoker, Shanks, and Ace (to name a few early entries) stood out due to their "bad-ass" design, and serious design.

Then, to go into his powers; he was the first character to show us a destructive, and mighty devil fruit. Everything else prior to that was related to Rubber, Weight, Wax, Explosive boogers, etc... He had the literal power of Fire at his command. In one Fire-Fist, he destroyed several of the billions/millions ships, something we had not seen from any other character thus far. (The closest we saw to something like that was Mihawk chasing Don Krieg I believe)

We may not think consciously about these things, but sub-consciously, we do notice it, and they draw us to his character.

Which, with the two above in mind;

The biggest reason I believe why people were sad at Ace's death, was not because of Ace, but because of Luffy.

Ace played the Big-brother character type extremely well, and Luffy's behavior demonstrates that perfectly. He is in awe, and respects his brother, he can literally do little wrong. He was super close to Ace, which is why when he died, and Luffy broke down because of it, we felt extremely empathetic towards Luffy, and his loss, as opposed to a character we liked.

Other than that, it was a sad scene. He's a relatable character, and he can make you imagine what it'd be like to lose your own loved one, and how sad that would make you feel, which is why I feel a lot of people were saddened by his death.

18. Jawahib

Busoshoku Haki YouTube Team
    Expand Collapse

This thread is bonkers. From troll-y OP to @Marco Polo 's awesome-yet-totally-out-of-the-blue fan fiction to genuine discussions about Ace and the Admirals which I wanna jump in on :D
    Yeah nah disregard everything you saw at Marineford in terms of Haki. Haki has changed so fundamentally since then it's impossible to reconcile that old Haki = new Haki. Because in fact there was evidence of the Admirals using Haki. The Three Admirals combine their "Haki" to create an invisible wall that stopped one of Whitebeard's quakes. Marco (the real one) and Vista used "Haki" to slice Akainu torso straight through, and, even though Akainu immediately healed anyway, he commented on their use of Haki in those attacks. And that's on top of Observation Haki which for some reason only Coby seemed to have (to memory at least), but his version of Observation Haki was just that he could hear the screams of the dying around him and (this is more consistent at least) feel their "presences" popping off as they died. I've already said all this, so if you want a full breakdown of it just check out this thread.

As for the Ace's death thing and sadness in general; the most impactful moment for me was when Ace died, hands down. And, while I think it's incredibly insightful and carries a lot of truth, I disagree with @Lt. | ArkZ 's analysis as to the main reason of why. I think the reason Ace's death hit so hard (for me this 100% true at least) was because of our investment in Luffy's investment in saving him. Luffy, who we know and love and root for, is determined not to let his brother die. We see how far he goes to avoid it. How he risks everything without a second thought to save him, stares down all three Admirals and keeps running towards him. We succeed with him when he gets the handcuffs off Ace and Ace is prepared to carry him to safety. The thing that killed the scene most for me was that I felt Oda had him get that pissed at Akainu's jibes for plot convenience. To tell us that it was something totally avoidable. That in the end our hero could not do what he was so certain he would. That to me was the main reason. Not so much Ace himself, but Luffy's investment in saving his kindly brother.

That the greatest pirate of all time would rally his forces and his allies, declare outright war to save one single person, and fail; that Ace was actually a really awesome character with an amazing Devil Fruit power; that Ace belonged to a crew so closely to tied together they called the captain "father" and he called them "son"; and that each member of that family was so eager to go to war to save him. These are all in the way of decoration. To create a full story for full immersion so we can become fully emotionally invested in Ace as a character and the story of Luffy going to save him.

Honestly you can tackle that one point from so many different angles, but for me the heart of the emotional investment was the story of Luffy going to save his brother, and this story ended with his brother dead in his arms when he was on the cusp of victory. A story that ended in failure and irrevocable loss. To fail this mission is to lose your brother forever; death can't be undone, Ace can't be replaced (@Sabo where u at) and this makes the failure absolute. Why is Ace whispering his dying words in your ear? Because you failed to save him, Luffy.

19. KKG

KKG
    Biggest Kiss x Sis Fan
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

If i bring the factor of Luffy's maturity it leads me to the question of why Ace had to die.
    If i was a Straw Hat following a captain like this i think would rather go home and give up being a pirate.
    I think by now i respect Ace but i can't say the same about Luffy.
    Ace was Gol D Roger's son and that's why he was so massively popular.:cool:

20. Time

bogan scientist
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

You've got some very good points there. I agree Ace left a significant first impression on the fans when he first appeared and he is related to Luffy on top of that. However, after his first appearance, there really wasn't anything particularly interesting about him that could have made him a great character up to his death. His past with Luffy and Sabo was great but it came after Marine ended iirc. Still, I find it hard to relate to him and like him. Probably just me but I think I don't like characters who are built around hype, Shanks falls into this group of characters too imo. So whenever I see a post hyping Shanks or crying over Ace, I cant help but wonder Why?