1. Participate in the Monthly PAW May 2018 with a special category for our anniversary!
  2. Check out our latest video "One Piece Discussion: Wano Hype!" and discuss it with us!
  3. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!

Whole Cake Island Review

Discussion in 'One Piece Manga' started by Zeek, Apr 22, 2018.

?

What would you rate the WCI arc with 10 being the best and 1 being the worst.

1. 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 9

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. 8

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. 7

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. 6

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. 5

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  7. 4

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Zeek

Luffy's Grappling Coach
    Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Well, now that the arc is finally over let's discuss it's merrits as a whole. I'm going to try and reread the arc tonight and give my opinions on it later.

The poll above should be viewed like a grading scale in school (US standards).
    10-9 A
    8 B
    7 C
    6 D
    ----- everything after would be failing
    5 F
    4 F
    3 F
    2 F
    1 F

Storm chaser likes this.
  2. Storm chaser

Rock n' Roll
    Haoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I think it was okay, it had so many stories and whatnot. I dont really mind it being so long.
    Quite good growing on Sanji's part. Tough I wish to see more of his fighting skill's aswell, but thats gonna happen at Wano.

Meeting some of the charater's, Reiju, Katakuri & Pudding. + Bege and Caesar cracking me up from time to time.
    Carrot's new fighting style.

Overall Im happy with it.

3. Jahanzaib Akbar

Expand Collapse

It was one of the arcs i won't reread or re-watch. for me it added nothing to overall story. Maybe the effects of this arc will become clearer later. But for now, it was below average.

4. Juggy

Expand Collapse

Voted 6.

Awfully slow paced arc, otherwise I would give a greater grade! Introduction of new characters was great! I loved the action (regardless plot armor) and most of all I loved the Sanji character development. Hopefully, he learned his lessons not to make hasty decisions...

5. Admiral Ryokugyu

Admiral of the Navy
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Overall , i'm disappointed . I expected more from the japanese King of Storytelling . He bluffed his way through this arc . But i respect his hard work .

6. KKG

KKG
    The Portuguese Pervert
    Haoshoku Haki Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I agree with @Admiral Ryokugyu,i respect his hard work,but this arc was bad.
    In my opinion,the fights were terrible,but it's normal for people to get bored because Oda is making this too big.
    I understand it's very difficult to progress a story of this size with so many characters each one with different abilities and roles in the arc.
    And to save other power ups for other arcs gear 4th was repeated in each fight with the same problems it had against Mingo.
    The animation improved a little but still not enough,it's a +800 episode anime,i don't think they can do better.
    It was the episode 826 of this arc who made me drop the anime:(
    Oda is feeling the pressure of progressing his huge story and then we see improvise being the problem solver.
    But i still remember lovely ladies like Hancock,i will never forget her.
    [​IMG]
    The Pirate Empress dances and spins with elegance in the air with her beautiful legs to turn her enemies into stone.:hearteyes:
    I also love that dress she uses and the high heels.
    And great hilarious moments,and the best of it was finding OPF.
    I had great moments with you guys here.
    We are all nakama:super:

Admiral Ryokugyu likes this.
  7. Chicano180

Busoshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Okay, the arc itself was full of inconsistencies, but I still gave it an 8/10.
    I think it overall accomplished several things
    • Recovered Sanji
    • Got a copy of the Red Poneglyph
    • Potentially made new allies
    • Luffy got a power-up
    • If Nami kept Zeus then she also got a power-up
    • Jimbei officially joined the crew
    AFTER all is done here at WCI, I think that the biggest accomplishment made was to prove (to us the readers) that the weakest of the SHP's were going to be able to 'keep up' with strong Yonkou opponents in Wano.
    If we think about it....the weaker SHP's had some really great action:
    Brook:
    • Beat a decent amount of Yonkou Fodder alone
    • Sparred with a Yonkou and lived to tell the story
    • Injured Prometheus and cut Zeus in half
    • Speed Blitzed a Yonkou
    Nami:
    • Acquired Zeus
    • With the power of Zeus she was able to throw some really strong attacks at Big Mom and pause her a few times
    Chopper:
    • Probably shined the least, but the fact that he was able to tank several of Big Mom's/Prometheus attacks says a lot about his resilience.
    Carrot:
    • Goes Sulong and Big Mom's stronger children and a fleet isn't able to stop her rampage.
    Jimbei:
    Come on, I don't think I need to say anything about Jimbei.

All-In-All I think this arc was to prove to us readers that the weaker SHP's can hold their own vs the Yonkou and their armies. I think that many of us would have called "MAJOR ASS-PULL" if they went into Wano and Nami, Brook & Chopper defeated any type of strong Yonkou related character, but now....it's a lot more believable. We all know that Zoro, Franky, Robin, and Sanji can hold their own in battle and Ussop w/ his discovered observational haki will likely be nowhere near the battlefield...he'll just sniping away.

This arc just made our weaker crewmates 'stronger' in our eyes, and I don't mind that at all.

****Jimbei will join us in Wano****
    Confirmed by Chicano180

8. Rexraptor

Expand Collapse

To say the truth first it was sort of Very Good and then at one or two points I was Goodbut in the end it was Excellent.

And I'm sorry that I'm judging there hard work. I just gave my opinion.
    Never wanted to offend anyone and even if I did I'm SORRY.

THANK YOU

9. ckimbrew

Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

Since the purpose here wasn’t to defeat. Big Mom, I think this arc was actually needed. Why? For all of the reasons that @Chicano180 mentioned.

Plus, Luffy’s bounty increase. I’ve said it before, but the goal of the Katakuri fight was not only to boost his fighting skill. If he’s to team up with Marco, his bounty will be higher than or equal to Marco’s. I get the whole “equal captains in an alliance”, but this is now Luffy’s time to shine. And, with the news and Stussy there to watch everything unfold, that’s exactly what’s going to happen. Having finally taken out a Yonko first mate, he’s clearly only looking to fight Yonko or admirals now.

Also, now we know what’s waiting for us in Wano... (after Reverie) The crew barely made it out alive, they had a ton of help and, BM didn’t even engaged a sustained attack because of her tantrum.

If Luffy’s Kong Gun was blocked so easily by BM, what’s that mean the strongest creature in the world will do to it? Even BM told Luffy that there’s no way to beat that thing. Future sight will definitely come in handy in that battle. And, so will the ability to remain calm during a fight... Now, he should be able to more effectively use his strength and stamina.

Also, I believe that Brook powered up as well. Seeing the gap between his soul power and BM’s shows that there are still new levels to reach. And, knowing that, he’s sure to increase his soul power even more.

For this and all Chicano mentioned, the arc stick to its purpose, prepared us for the future, and had some super badass moments. So, even with all the cake screaming, 9/10 for me.

Chill024 likes this.
  10. Konta

Expand Collapse

it was really nice Luffy’s bounty has increased to 1.5billions because i was feeling like he was underrated for his all work. This ark will remain as one of my most favorite of all time. but what’s bad is there was no good point about sanji(since i expected sanji would defeat katakuri and made a thread about it before lol) come to think of it now it can’t and shouldn’t happen at all but at least i wanted him to beat one of BigMum’s strong crews, or defeat Bigmum with the cake he made! i hope he shines in the next arc

11. Time

bogan scientist
    Kenbunshoku Haki
    Expand Collapse

I'd give it an 8. It started off pretty lame but got more and more interesting. Plus it introduced lots of awesome characters. Best thing it led to the big news in chapter 903. So though the arc may feel bad, it paid off very well and that alone should justify any drawbacks.