1. OPF's 2nd One Piece Character Popularity Poll has arrived! Vote NOW!
  2. Participate in the OPForum's Secret Santa HERE!
  3. We have a NEW subforum for Dr. Stone! Check it out!
  4. We have a new Facebook page! You can like it by clicking HERE!
  5. As a final farewell gift to our beloved creator, we're planning to make a "thank you" video. If you'd like to be involved, you can read more here.
  6. Vote now for the Monthly PAW October 2019!

Why Do We Like Antagonist Characters?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Dreamer, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Dreamer

I'm more like a stone than snowflake
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

#1 Dreamer, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    All of us have different favorite characters but I don't exactly understand why some of us like antagonist characters.

Some likes Joker, some likes Draco Malfoy and some members of this forum likes Doflamingo.

I'm not actually any different. I have started to like Larry Koopa (one of Koopalings from Super Mario) although in real life I hate brats who purposely threaten and hurt other people and steal/damage others property without any good reason.

So, does anybody have any idea why it is like this?

2. Robin-Senpai Is The Best

Double Keeper ~ White & Black Twin Birds
    Captain
    Expand Collapse

I think it's because they're fun or interesting. I mean it's really fun watching villains outsmart the heroes before they themselves get outsmarted (like with Yoshikage Kira). It's also really fun to see over the top villains (like Buggy).

Dreamer and Edinbour like this.
  3. Marco Polo

monkey d. goth girl
    Administrator Member of the Year 2018
    Expand Collapse

This is a pretty interesting video I watched about villains a while back:

Modern villains are becoming more and more popular because we’re finding out more about the “why” behind their actions, and it’s more often than not something that we can relate to, even though we disagree with how they acted following whatever event caused them to become villains in the first place. There’s a fine line between hero and villain, and we’re starting to see that more rather than getting those cartoonishly evil villains who want to destroy the world just because.

This is a really interesting discussion, thank you for making this thread!

4. sweetjacky

Doggie Mom
    Administrator Member of the Season
    Expand Collapse

For me it depends on what kind of villain it is. And sometimes I'm really inconsistent with that as well tbh. But a lot of times they make things more interesting and they're witty and smart. They're even better if they have some deep backstory that made them the way they are. Sometimes I also love to hate a villain, for example in tv shows when you hate that character but think the actor is amazing.

Tbf the strawhats do that too :tearsofjoy:

5. Dreamer

I'm more like a stone than snowflake
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

Okay, I'm going to rephrase that part of my thread :sweatsmile:.

6. Anjo

An alcohol dependent being, born at a young age
    Navigator
    Expand Collapse

Because villains nowadays are not evil just for the sake of being evil. Through clever writing of their background, we are able to empathize and understand why they became so. This also explains why lots of people love anti-heroes like Sasuke or Lelouch. While others do not prefer characters with excessively high moral standards.

Dreamer likes this.
  7. blackfoot delaney

Navigator
    Expand Collapse

Its very interesting the way villians are judged! I absolutely hate orichi, but love doffy and katakuri

My girlfriend watches some tv shows and physically has to force her self through some episodes because she hates the antagonist so much... but is that not the point?

What makes a good antagonist? Is it a doffy type character who you know is clearly evil but you enjoy their wit and their origins
    Or an orichi type character who is such an awful person who you just cant stand the sight of?